TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

PRIDE 33- The Second Coming

Considering at the GP last year it looked like Shogun wanted to jump Mirko for KO'ing Silva? Insulting Silva post-win probably isn't the smartest idea.

Plus, it didn't make Henderson look good. PRIDE had been building him up as the "IDEAL AMERICAN~!" and he goes and insults the person he just beat. Not great for PR.

I've also read that Silva may or may not have been in the HOSPITAL over his cold. Who knows how big of a factor that played last night.

Whoa, who the hell is saying it's their final show?

Gomi would be the best LW in the world if he wasn't so damn arrogant. Lack of training is what caused him to lose. There's also no way to put Sakurai on top of him after he got destroyed by Gomi. Aoki or Melendez is arguable, but Melendez should have lost the fight with TK and even if you think he won he didn't beat him nearly as definitively as Gomi did. Aoki is probably a good choice, but the guy hasn't beaten a top tier guy at LW. That leaves Nick Diaz, but he has one glaring loss on his record...

6759.jpg

What?

PRIDE's in VEEERY bad shape. I think all the hyperbole of "THIS IS THE FINAL SHOW!" is fucking stupid though. PRIDE's got at the very least two more shows setup. They'll run those, then after that it's a crapshoot.

Until PRIDE can get back on Japanese TV, their circling the drain. TV plays such a major part of the fight scene in Japan, that you can't exist as a major fed without it. If they could get back on TV, they could come back, but their screwed if they can't.

The people kicking PRIDE while their down kind of pisses me off though. PRIDE puts on one of the best shows in years, and people bitch about how the show killed draws, and all kinds of inconsequential crap. It's basically exactly how they treated UFC before UFC became the favored promotion.

I still really like PRIDE, contrary to what some might believe over here or on another board I frequent (ironically referred to as the UFC). The main problems I have are with matchmaking and the use of their championship belts. Judging to a lesser extent. Such basic tenets of a company's strategy that any fight fan could really set it up, hell I honestly believe I Could and that's not hyperbole. Thing is, until they stop with the constant GP crap as well as just build up younger fighters by matching them up accordingly rather than throwing them to the wolves, their shows won't be as good as they could be. Saturday's show proved that they have the ability to put on a better show than the UFC in a big way, because right now the UFC is purposely diluting their own product in order to make more money. I guess that's okay for them, but as a fan I don't like it.

Sokodjou 30 seconds of greatness was a thing of beauty to watch. The countering, nice low kick followed by a high kick a few times, and the huge KO Punch.

Sokodjou... is the truth... Sokodjou is the man.

The people kicking PRIDE when their down are really going to regret it in two years or so if PRIDE dies. Without PRIDE, UFC loses it's top competition. The same people who are creaming over the idea of UFC controlling all the major fighters will find out that just because they DO control all the talent, doesn't mean they'll actually showcase it.

Once UFC has Fedor and Shogun and those guys, and yet still stack UFN full of TUF castoffs, maybe people will wake the fuck up. One company controlling the fight game IS NOT GOOD.

See, I think the opposite of that. Once UFC has all the top talent signed from PRIDE they're going to start cutting their losses. Fuck, the proof is already there with them putting Forrest up against Lyoto for his comeback fight after the Jardine loss. If they had intentions of trying to rebuild Forrest as a contender they certainly wouldn't be giving him this fight.

Anybody who's holding out for a Diaz/Gomi title fight in April is going to have to hold off until at least June or July. Diaz's right cheekbone is broken and he's on medical suspension until around then.