TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

Final Fantasy VI Advance?

33 members have voted

1. 1. Will you bite on this FFVI translation?

• No, I have FF3 on SNES. Old school!
    • I have unbelievable patience and will suffer through the PS1 port, kthnx.
    • Sold!
    • I'm a newb who requires spikey-haired emos of undeterminable gender in my RPGs
    • Square owns my ass and I'm going to buy this even though I already have 1 or 2 other versions.
    • I'm filthy pirate scum and will just d/l it. LOL newbs buying games!

Just got the game. The translation changes are there but appear minor (we don't get "dread destructive force known as 'magic'", for instance, but so far nothing to really cry about.

Hey, now when major characters speak their portrait art is displayed.

And Kefka has portrait art!

"Ahem! There's SAND on my boots!"

Fucking Andrew. Your last two posts are going to make me either:

1) Have my parents drag my SNES out of their storage room and ship it to me so I can play through again, or

2) Buy a DS and this. Motherfucker. I've kind of been wanting a DS anyway...

God, how awesome is the whole introduction to the game? When you get split up into the three missions? So great.

How crisp is the battle speed and the game in general? The FFIV Advance port tended to drag in some of the bigger battles.

I can't tell you for sure since I'm still early, but everything feels very quick and moves great.

However, I was wondering myself about the speed, and used Auto-Crossbow on a group of 5 enemies, with no slowdown noticable. The battle screen / return to the field seems to be the same as SNES.

Speaking of speed, you can dash by holding down B, similar to the other Advance ports.

"So, Sprint Shoes are worthless?", you ask? No. Sprint Shoes double your walking speed, so you dash without having to hold B. If you DO hold B, you *really* haul ass--twice the original game's dash speed. Only in towns though--you're still using the same old walking speed on the world map.

The graphics look better than what I expected (especially after seeing some really blurry pics in magazines), although I am using the DS, FWIW.

Fucking Andrew. Your last two posts are going to make me either:

1) Have my parents drag my SNES out of their storage room and ship it to me so I can play through again, or

2) Buy a DS and this. Motherfucker. I've kind of been wanting a DS anyway...

God, how awesome is the whole introduction to the game? When you get split up into the three missions? So great.

Either way is great. A DS is well worth it, considering the library of other games available.

However, my biggest complaint so far is the sound. Most of the music sounds about the same. However, the boss theme didn't translate well, which is a shame, because it's among my favorite music in the entire series. It's not bad, it just sounds nowhere near as good.

EDIT:

Okay, just listened to the SNES one. I take back what I said. The Advance version of the boss theme is ass.

Here is a clip where you can hear the battle music and the boss music from the Advance game

The music seems way more bassy there than you'd notice it playing w/o earphones/speakers.

Sadly there's slowdown there. But I've yet to run across it in the game so far. However, Dancing Mad is totally different.

Of course, the slowdown could be the emulator itself to blame. And even so, there's no flicker at all.

"Leave us. The dog eats strangers."

"Think a 'bear' like me could be of any help?"

"Kill his best friend for the right price" is a crappy re-write, though. Kind of odd they'd leave those two intact, but were silly enough to imply Shadow has friends.

I don't recall "I'd love to get my tentacles on her" being in the original game...

I'm sorta leaning in that direction... I just beat Chrono Trigger in 15 hours with beefed-out characters, and it wasn't that fun. Once you know exactly what to do, the sense of exploration, and the immersion of talking to NPCs and the like is pretty much out the window.

FFVI is still my favorite game, but I've beat it, like 6 or 7 times.

I should pick up a Nippon Ichi game or Valkyrie PRofile 2. I tried playing FFXII and DQVIII, both gifts. Both are fine games, but I simply find I can't slog through long cut-scenes anymore. Which is why I was crushed when Suikoden went from the quickest, most gameplay-filled RPG series (with #2 having a great story!) immediately into another long, loading-filled, cutscene packed series.

I think my game appreciation has actually devolved. Now I just want to play Bangai-O and Marvel v Capcom 2. And Guitar Hero.

Hell, yes, that's why I like playing it. Has to be with a friend, though. Otherwise I can't do the patented Servbot crouch taunt.

Actually, the most dun I've has playing games lately is guitar hero, MvC2 and Guilty GearX2 playing as faust.

Ok, back on topic. FFVI has so much going for it. It's incredibly deep, for one. First time I played it, I missed Shadow (well who actually got him without the help of a cheat guide) was frustrated by the magemaster, since I hadn't obtained life3 yet, and didn't see Kefka as the main villain until the big floating island twist (obvious in retrospect. ) Gau was also one of my best characters.

It has the BEST music composition in a game ever, IMO. One of the top five villains ever, (I'd put only Luca Blight, Jowy Blight, Galleon and Shodan ahead of him) It has an incredible twist 1/3 through the game, and great characters. And a decent mix of humor and pathos. The game seems easy now, but the first time through, it has about the perfect level of difficulty.

Also the last real showing of Yoshitaka Amono's artwork, and the only one that did it a bit of justice. THe enemies look fan-frakkin'-tastic.

Also probably the only game where I was inspired to mega-level my characters to unneededly god-like levels the second time around. I made Terra, Locke and Celes fucking stat beasts.

One thing: If you make Edgar's Gared at the start, apparently they call him something different when he's 'incognito' (aka two extra red pixels).

Guest BOOT

I've never touched a Final Fantasy game, so I guess here is a good place to start. Wish the best GBA games were cheaper than DS games though.

My first time through, I lost Shadow up on the floating island because I didn't know you had to sit and wait for him. Pissed me off when I read that later in a strategy guide.

"Weapons of Magitek Destruction" sounds like one of those love / hate script changed. I love it. I went to order it online via Future Shop but they're sold out and I don't feel like finding another place online that has it and using my real credit card. I have Monday off, I might just go out and look for it and pay for it.

There's a review on GameFAQs giving the game 2/10 - the reviewer seems quite agitated that Antidote is named "Poisana".

"Weapons of Magitek Destruction" sounds like one of those love / hate script changed. I love it.

I think it's funny but it's a political reference that I presume will date this game horribly.

...you know, even more than it being a remake of a 12 year old game.

Does that make any sense?

"The only way to reach the Empire now is by air. Of course, you'd need an airship for that.

...What, did you think I was going to suggest launching yourself from a catapult? Are you daft?"

Just played the Opera House scene. The "voices" are actually improved, and the music is still very good. The lyrics for Celes/Maria's Aria are IMO much better too.

It's sort of sad I know, but I had a six month relationship all because of the "I'm the darkness, you're the stars" line.

Then you fucked up your lines and had to replay the relationship all over again

It's sort of sad I know, but I had a six month relationship all because of the "I'm the darkness, you're the stars" line.

Then you fucked up your lines and had to replay the relationship all over again

And while you retained your EXP your money was halved.