TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

TSM All-Time Baseball Tournament

'73 Mets 8, '92 Blue Jays 7 (19 Innings)

WP: George Stone (1-0)

LP: David Cone (0-1)

Cone took the loss? What was he doing in in the 19th?

The Mets tie the series, but burned their game five starter in the process.
I guess when you get to 19 innings, your bullpen becomes pretty depleted and you need to go to a starter.

Shouldn't he have been the one starting that game though if Morris, Key & Guzman started the first three?

Yeah, that 19 inning game was a situation where both teams literally had no pitchers available. The Blue Jays didn't suffer too badly because they had Morris-Key-Guzman-Stottlemyre. But the Mets burned game five starter George Stone. So it was a choice of either Jerry Koosman on short rest, or Tug McGraw. If McGraw started that would have left one pitcher available in the bullpen. The game won't let me use a reliever who needs rest.

I'm checking a detail on game four.

'73 Mets 8, '92 Blue Jays 7 (19 Innings)
:blink:

Up Next: '06 Twins vs. '89 Orioles
Let's go O's! WHY NOT?

Here's a website that covers the season (and its build up) in excruciating detail if you're interested: http://www.birdsinthebelfry.com/1989.htm

God, I'm just thinking... Johan Santana vs. Bob Milaki...Fransisco Liriano vs. Jeff Ballard...this just doesn't seem fair. Oh well.

The 2006 Twins beat the Os 6 games out of 9 in 2006

The 1989 Twins beat the Os 8 games out of 12 in 1989.

just sayin..

and Ballard went 18-8 in 89..

Yeah, that 19 inning game was a situation where both teams literally had no pitchers available. The Blue Jays didn't suffer too badly because they had Morris-Key-Guzman-Stottlemyre. But the Mets burned game five starter George Stone. So it was a choice of either Jerry Koosman on short rest, or Tug McGraw. If McGraw started that would have left one pitcher available in the bullpen. The game won't let me use a reliever who needs rest.

I'm checking a detail on game four.

I'm curious about why you started Stottlemyre over Cone.

Stottlemyre started game four and was shelled, giving up 5 runs in 2 2/3 IP. That meant the Blue Jays needed 16 innings out of their pen. Now since Stottlemyre started and Morris is available again in game five, that makes David Cone available out of the bullpen. In retrospect, I probably could have used him earlier. Cone was entirely ineffective however, blowing a lead in the 17th and losing it in the 19th. He walked six batters in 3 2/3 IP.

Why Stottlemyre over Cone? I can't say for certain, probably because Stottlemyre started more games for the Blue Jays and I have a tendency to take guys based on games started. It is easy to overlook pitchers with minimal playing time unless you take a closer look at a team's roster. Rest assured, Cone will be in the rotation for the series against the Athletics.

Ah well. Maybe I should have gone with '88.

You mean the ones that lost 21 straight to start the season? Yeah, that would have made for a competitive series.

Al already covered this, but you're clearly thinking of another team. The '88 Mets went 15-6 in their first 21 games.

You mean the ones that lost 21 straight to start the season? Yeah, that would have made for a competitive series.

Al already covered this, but you're clearly thinking of another team. The '88 Mets went 15-6 in their first 21 games.

He thought you were talking about the '88 Orioles, since we were talking about the '89 team.

He thought you were talking about the '88 Orioles, since we were talking about the '89 team.

Yes, that's it exactly.

2006 Minnesota Twins vs. 1989 Baltimore Orioles

The Minnesota Twins won the Central by being in first place only one day the entire season, the last day. They suffered a first round sweep to the Oakland Athletics. The Baltimore Orioles went from losing 107 games in 1988 to finishing within two games of the division champion Toronto Blue Jays.

Hall of Famers

Orioles: Cal Ripken

Twins: none

I am willing to bet at least one Twin enjoys a Hall of Fame career. The Twins had average offense and great pitching. The Orioles had average offense and below average pitching, but their three top relievers (Gregg Olson, Mark Williamson and Kevin Hickey) were outstanding.

'06 Twins 8, '89 Orioles 5

WP: Johan Santana (1-0)

LP: Jeff Ballard (0-1)

Sv: Juan Rincon (1)

This game was not as close as the score indicates. Scott Baker surrendered five runs in the ninth before Juan Rincon shut the door. Michael Cuddyer collected 4 RBIs.

'89 Orioles 2, '06 Twins 0

WP: Bob Milacki (1-0)

LP: Brad Radke (0-1)

Sv: Gregg Olson (1)

Joe Orsulak's two run home run in the second provided the only runs of the game.

'89 Orioles 3, '06 Twins 2 (11 Innings)

WP: Mark Williamson (1-0)

LP: Juan Rincon (0-1)

Francisco Liriano dominated for eight innings. A bloop and a blast in the ninth tied the game however, and Mickey Tettleton's RBI single won the game in the eleventh.

'06 Twins 7, '89 Orioles 4

WP: Boof Bonser (1-0)

LP: Dave Schmidt (0-1)

Michael Cuddyer again collected four RBIs, topped off by a three run homer in the fourth inning.

'06 Twins 5, '89 Orioles 3

WP: Juan Rincon (1-1)

LP: Gregg Olson (0-1)

Sv: Joe Nathan (1)

Gregg Olson fell apart in the ninth, walking three and allowing two runs.

'06 Twins 4, '89 Orioles 3

WP: Joe Nathan (1-0)

LP: Mark Williamson (0-1)

Joe Mauer drove in the walkoff run with a double in the ninth inning to win the series. For what it's worth, Cal Ripken drove in no runs in six games.

Twins win series 4-2

A gallant effort from the O's who kept the series competitive. The Twins advance to play the 1912 New York Giants in the second round.

Up Next: 1950 Phillies vs. 2003 Marlins

1950 Philadelphia Phillies vs. 2003 Florida Marlins

The Phillies won their first NL pennant in thirty-five years on the last day of the season, but were swept by the New York Yankees in the World Series. The Florida Marlins shocked baseball by winning the wild card and then beating the New York Yankees in the World Series.

Hall of Famers

Phillies: Richie Ashburn, Robin Roberts

Marlins: [ivan Rodriguez]

The Marlins surprisingly enjoyed more contributions from their offense than their defense. The Marlins' starting pitching is good but their bullpen relies on Ugueth Urbina. The Phillies had average offense but great pitching, led by the durable Robin Roberts and the young flamethrowing Curt Simmons.

'50 Phillies 3, '03 Marlins 2 (11 Innings)

WP: Jim Konstanty (1-0)

LP: Carl Pavano (0-1)

Del Ennis' sacrifice fly in the eleventh won the game. Robin Roberts pitched nine innings and surrendered two runs.

'03 Marlins 9, '50 Phillies 3

WP: Dontrelle Willis (1-0)

LP: Curt Simmons (0-1)

Curt Simmons gave up seven runs in five and two-thirds.

'50 Phillies 4, '03 Marlins 2

WP: Bob Miller (1-0)

LP: Brad Penny (0-1)

Sv: Jim Konstanty (1)

Eddie Waitkus and Richie Ashburn combined to go 5-8 with a double, two triples and four runs scored out of the 1-2 spots in the lineup.

'50 Phillies 10, '03 Marlins 2

WP: Robin Roberts (1-0)

LP: Mark Redman (0-1)

I could give you the gritty details of how this went down. It just stands to reason that a group of mere kids can not stand a chance against the WHIZ kids.

'03 Marlins 7, '50 Phillies 2

WP: Josh Beckett (1-0)

LP: Bubba Church (0-1)

Miguel Cabrera hit a two run home run in the fifth to give the Marlins the lead and they cruised to victory.

'50 Phillies 6, '03 Marlins 4

WP: Curt Simmons (1-1)

LP: Dontrelle Willis (1-1)

Sv: Jim Konstanty (2)

Curt Simmons collected two RBIs to help his own cause.

1950 Phillies win series 4-2

In a short series the Phillies can limit the soft underbelly of their pitching staff and that is the case here, as Robin Roberts and company shut down the Marlins. The Phillies advance to face the 1998 Yankees in round two.

Up Next: '86 Astros vs. '98 Marlins

Hmm... every series has ended in 4-2 victories...

Probablistically, it's the most common result. You'd have to have one team be about a 2-1 favourite over the other to have any other result be more probable.

1986 Houston Astros vs. 1998 Florida Marlins

The Houston Astros won 96 games and the National League West, but lost to the New York Mets in an exciting NLCS. The Florida Marlins sold off nearly their entire team and lost 108 games.

Hall of Famers

Astros: Nolan Ryan

Marlins:

The rules of the tournament stipulate that a team can not use players they traded or released midseason. After the trading deadline, they produced a gaudy 15-37 record. The Marlins featured below average offense and horrific pitching. The Astros had a good offense and very good pitching.

'98 Marlins 3, '86 Astros 1

WP: Livan Hernandez (1-0)

LP: Nolan Ryan (0-1)

Kevin Orie hit a three run home run in the fourth inning to give the Marlins a stunning victory. Ryan struck out eleven in the loss.

'86 Astros 3, '98 Marlins 0

WP: Mike Scott (1-0)

LP: Brian Meadows (0-1)

Mike Scott pitched a two-hit shutout, striking out nine.

'98 Marlins 3, '86 Astros 2

WP: Jesus Sanchez (1-0)

LP: Bob Knepper (0-1)

Sv: Matt Mantei (1)

Pitching again dominates as the Marlin pitchers keep the Astro hitters at bay. The Marlins hold a 2-1 series lead, far more than anyone certainly expected.

'98 Marlins 2, '86 Astros 1

WP: Antonio Alfonseca (1-0)

LP: Jim Deshaies (0-1)

Sv: Matt Mantei (2)

Dave Berg's RBI single in the seventh drove in the winning run. The Astros have collected a .573 OPS as a team to this point, and are a loss away from one of baseball's most stunning upsets.

'86 Astros 6, '98 Marlins 4

WP: Nolan Ryan (1-1)

LP: Livan Hernandez (1-1)

Sv: Dave Smith (1)

The Astros exploded for four runs in the second inning. Billy Hatcher hit three doubles and cut down Craig Counsell attempting to score on a sacrifice fly in the ninth inning to end the game. The Marlins lead the series 3-2, but the series moves back to the Astrodome for games six and seven (if necessary).

'86 Astros 9, '98 Marlins 2

WP: Mike Scott (2-0)

LP: Brian Meadows (0-2)

Another team offensive effort from the Astros. Brian Meadows surrendered fifteen hits in less than five innings. Mike Scott struck out eleven batters.

'86 Astros 4, '98 Marlins 2

WP: Bob Knepper (1-1)

LP: Jesus Sanchez (1-1)

Sanchez lasted just two innings. The Marlins' bullpen kept the team in the game, allowing just one more run in six innings. Derrek Lee hit a two run home run in the ninth to plate the Marlins' only runs.

1986 Astros win series 4-3

The Marlins put up a gallant fight but the Astros survived. The 'Stros go on to battle the 1946 Red Sox in the second round.

Up Next: '82 Brewers vs. '04 Astros

Nothing like a 108 loss team taking a good team like the 86 Stros to 7 games... I have to question the validity of this simulator.

That's like saying the Royals would've taken the White Sox to 7 in 05.

Nothing like a 108 loss team taking a good team like the 86 Stros to 7 games... I have to question the validity of this simulator.

You mean the same Royals that won 3 of their last 4 against the White Sox in 2005? Anything can happen in a short series. We see it every single year in the playoffs. The simulator actually takes into account how random baseball can be sometimes.

I'm sure the Marlins won 3 out of 7 games against some good teams during that season (well, pretty much every team was a good team compared to them), so it can certainly happen.

Even a team that's a 9-1 favourite over another team to win any given game will get taken to seven games once every 75 series. And it's incredibly rare (maybe impossible) for ANY baseball team to be that big a favourite over any other team. The worst teams still win a third of their games.

I understand the mathematical possibility, but you'd think factoring in motivation would lead to a different result. Having a team so vastly inferior win in a post-season setting is much less likely than in the regular season where the good teams sometimes slack off against the bottom feeders.

I understand the mathematical possibility, but you'd think factoring in motivation would lead to a different result. Having a team so vastly inferior win in a post-season setting is much less likely than in the regular season where the good teams sometimes slack off against the bottom feeders.

The Cardinals... won... the 2006... World Series.

Comparing an 83-win team beating a 95-win team to a 54-win team doing the same thing is ridiculous.

Comparing an 83-win team beating a 95-win team to a 54-win team doing the same thing is ridiculous.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. It doesn't seem to be registering with you that anything can happen in a short series. Baseball is weird that way. It's a game of percentages and sometimes they break a strange way. It's not hard to imagine a 54-win team managing to put up a fight in a seven game series. I was trying to illustrate the point that being the best team doesn't mean you always win.

I ran a 1,000 game series between the two clubs, and the Astros won 67% of the time. One thing you have to remember is that bad teams like the Marlins can shed their worst players in a short series.