TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ace309

State of the SWF, 2007

I wanted to keep myself quiet on this, but it is not impossible to use both.

1) The shows/promos/etc -- For one, I would EASILY give Alan Clark a myspace page...that could be fun as shit. But for shows and such, we can use the blog feature to LINK BACK to TSM for the shows (and bulletin links to the shows and promos too). All it would take is one person (Tom, Toxx, *whoever*) to check the board once a day and say "okay, we have two promos that were wrote on the boards today) and make a bulletin that say "Promos for 2/15" and then put two links with the title of the promo and the author). You can re-do the Joining FAQ for Myspace, that's fine. It won't kill people to have to sign up here as well. Hell, I probably have 30 usernames and passwords around for various things (banks, bills, forums, myfreepaysite, myspace, etc) and adding one more won't kill me. People don't have to sign up to read the shows/promos, and that's as much a good start as anything, to get people reading. All you have to do is make a point to say that joining the fed means joining the forums. But, you can also say that if people want to write and NOT join, then they can send their stats/promos/matches to the main SWF myspace site, and the person or persons in charge of it can move the stuff to the board, making sure to give credit to the author when posting promos.

On that note, if people do decide they want to send promos/matches through Myspace, then the access to the main mailbox for that account will have to be restricted to just the various markers/bookers. I mean, I'm trusting, but I'm playing fair.

Myspace's forums also to be fairly strict as far as advertising, "threadwasting", and "excessive" cursing. We might not see the SWF as a "waste of space", as far as the shows and stuff go, but the higher ups over there might.

My concern with shows were message length and the already restrictive borders that could make them annoying to read, but there's everything Rando mentioned too. Besides that there's no reason not to have the archives here and keep our ties with TSM just in case.

I still think there's a place for a site in all this, so long as it's, again, not just another place to post our stats and we don't let it slip once again, keeping it more as an extra and compliment to the SWF.

I see that Justice has apparently been convinced by Tox, but I'm just going to touch on something he mentioned earlier about an "organized effort." In my opinion, while reforming the entire function of the fed is vital, reforming and reorganizing Creative Control is equally important. Ultimately, any kind of changes on the surface of the fed can't be accomplished without the people in charge of everything working unanimously to make it all happen.

The lack of a cohesive, functional CC has been a problem that's slowly grown for months now, and mainly stems from the fact Tom and Raynor are exhausted. The whole of the SWF basically runs based on which one of them is paying attention for a given week. Mike was in absentia for a very, very long time, I haven't seriously involved myself with administration for almost a year now, and I sincerely doubt anyone who was booking before us is interested in doing it any longer. Ultimately, that's the big problem: Attracting new people to CC has been a huge issue since as early as 2004, and as a result the guys currently involved have long since burned out.

Before we can go forward with anything, a new CC has to be selected. I think it would preferably be filled out with people who haven't involved themselves with the booking aspect of the fed yet, and are willing to spend the enormous commitment that fixing the SWF is going to be. On top of that, a new CC has to regain the proactive nature that made other reigmes most effective, and I think has to work much, much harder to help give people direction and promote a reward system for writers who make the effort to write. I also think that it's also going to come at the price of amusing, but hairbrained ideas like the Lethal Lottery or Fictional World Tour. Let those be a lesson as to what unsucessful public works projects are.

-Z

I'll definitely throw my hat in the ring as far as the booking and creative side of CC is concerned. Marking, well, since me and Judge seemed show similar ideas for n00bs coming into the fed, I wouldn't mind taking up and being as Frost was in the JL, maybe not turning horrible writers into writers on the level of a Stephens or a Maddix, but at least giving the kind of advice that I was glad to have from guys like Frost when I first started in the SJL almost 4 years ago. I wouldn't allow myself to be what qualifies as a full-time marker...not just because of the fact that I'm active in the fed, but also because I would probably do horribly at it.

The Lethal Lottery will be brought up this Sunday, for sure.

Sorry that I'm late, guys...I don't have too much to add into the conversation here. Surprise, surprise...

I have read everything and I'll just make a few points.

1. I am sold on the myspace idea. A flashy profile test spamming thingy may just be the way to go. We just need to find someone who can make a flashy profile in two hours...and spend one hour on the profile song...

2. New blood is the way to go. The idea of merely beating another person at something could kill the no-showing problem with the newbies. We should target high school kids. We all got older and that has contributed to everything we see. An example would be that I was 15 when I joined, and had all the time in the world. I'm 21 now, and the idea of a full-time return almost frightens me. I was never a quick typist to begin with.

3. I am against changing the format when it comes to the bread and buter of writing matches. If this thing finishes up in October, it will be eight years since Jayson spammed a scoop slam and Rane/Drew didn't delete the thread. To me, it's like Beowulf fighting til the very end...doing the right thing and being able to die peacefully, knowing he went out the right way.

4. Book me for the last show if it comes to it. An IM or PM wouldn't hurt beforehand.

5. Chat revival is very important. We used to have fifteen on a slow night back in the old days. We can't do that now, but we can try to rebuild it.

I've been debating whether to volunteer for CC work for a while now actually. I do my far share at the *coughcough* other place, so I know the ins and outs of posting threads and trivial stuff like that. The problem with me is the time difference between me and everyone else (and the fact that sometimes I can't get lengthy time on the net itself) and the fact I'm still active and writing and don't want to be seen to be having divided loyalties when it would come to booking Landon.

If those things aren't a problem to the other CC guys and if there's nobody else suitable then I'd love to help out.

You know, I had wanted to book shows since forever--I always thought it would be interesting to do. I also think Tom knows I'd help him any time he needed it. He certianly needs some help, thats for sure.

As far as chat goes. Nobody ever discussed the SWF in the chat room. I know you can't dictate the topic of discussion but it be nice to know that people cared enough to discuss things that are going on with the SWF in the SWF chat room. I've never seen an OU Football chat room that didn't have people talking about OU. Nobody would go to that.

Just as a side note, understand that it's not just a booking problem here. To be completely honest, we only really need one person booking since it's only one show a week. It's all the other things, from advertisement to storyline coordination to commenting on losing matches. Not that we can't switch off on booking occasionally since you can easily burn out, but what's needed is help in the secondary areas.

Just as a side note, understand that it's not just a booking problem here. To be completely honest, we only really need one person booking since it's only one show a week. It's all the other things, from advertisement to storyline coordination to commenting on losing matches. Not that we can't switch off on booking occasionally since you can easily burn out, but what's needed is help in the secondary areas.

Well, I realize that. It's more of an issue on who has the rescources and ability to make an impact, and help save the fed in the process. Booking is the reward for all of that, I'd think.

Guest Divefire

Couple of quick notes:

Some one knock up a practice myspace page, see if you can post shows and that sort of thing and see how it looks? Just check it's viable before the sticks start coming up here.

As for the CC thing, I'll say this as elegantly as I can, it's better to ask for help then assume that no one else wants to. I'm sure there are more then a few lurking here that could offer assistance of some kind.

I'm with Landon - I'd love to help on CC, but the fact I'm in the wrong timezone and work shifts means that I'd only be able to mark matches once every other week, at least without the people writing matches to be marked by me having about six hours less than everyone else to write, with absolutely no possibility of extentions. Also, there's the "conflict of interests" thing, although I hope you all realise that I'm easily arrogant enough about my own abilities to not worry who I face ;)

I've never tried to make a MySpace profile at all flashy, so I'm not sure how much help I'd be there. However, I could try and start a group and see exactly how it works.

Well, I have a couple of things to say.

- MySpace is a good idea, but only if someone, or a very small group of someones, is willing to step up and own the process. It has to be an assignment, something that there is a responsibility for and a plan for what to do when, not if, something happens and the people in charge flake.

- If this is the end, I agree with Tom. there needs to be time for people to finish angles and for the people who put a lot of time and effort into this place, the people who loved this place, to come back and say goodbye the right way. After 8 years, we should not just fade away, we should end with a bang and, frankly, give the people taking their characters to other feds a running start, something to hang their hats on.

That having been said, I hope we could all celebrate Genesis X...

I'm on the MySpace side, and you'd better believe that I don't flake easy. That said, I can pass the password onto others if needed.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how the process would work on Myspace, as the group forum layout doesn't lend itself to massive amounts of text. The frame is far too small and would make matches painful to read. A blog is more accommodating (yet still small), thus suggesting that promos and shows be posted on the SWF myspace page while all the guts of the process is done in the group forum. However, this would require a daily moderator to copy over said promos into the blog and I'm also pretty sure that blogs get removed once they reach a certain number (or time limit). In that case, an archive would have to be created to house previous shows and promos. This could get ugly.

Unless I have misinterpreted the idea of moving to Myspace. If it's being used as a means of showcasing samples of shows/promos and providing information about the federation in order to attract attention and people to a fully functioning, autonomous website (using a database system, etc), then it is a great idea. Creating affiliations with the more popular discussion based wrestling groups on Myspace (ala a banner on their Myspace page/group) would be beneficial and hopefully bring in a whole new generation of writers.

Has this already been discussed? I did skim briefly over this entire thread and may have missed it. Please suss it out.

Concerning a website, do we have one? If yes, what is the URL? If no, I am prepared to put something together in my spare time. That stated, my knowledge of PHP and website databases is non-existent and someone else will have to take care of that while I make the design and layout that wraps around it. Get back to me.

On another note, I've been contemplating returning for a final fun, possibly with Crow or an entirely new character. Problem is, I am unsure of my dedication and my knowledge of wrestling has certainly decreased during my time of inactivity. I'll need to think about this further.

Having been gone a few weeks and getting a chance to get in a clear head, a few things:

1. I agree with Toxx that myspace is a hell of an idea, as there is no limit as to how many people could potentially join, and it might lead to a revival of the JL and/or the ML in the future.

2. Feedback isn't normally an issue with me, because I've always had a sense of which matches were good and which weren't when I sent them in. The only time I really wanted feedback and didn't get it was the loss to Toxx in November because while his match was fantastic, so was mine. However, it needs to be given for newbies to help them improve, and markers need to be able to explain why they thought match A was better than match B if asked.

3. I support the thought of lowering word limits for Storm, especially for matches earlier in cards. I also support the idea of having a few "jobbers" on the active roster that are there solely for the newbies to get their feet wet with. For example: We get a message from "Joe Schmo" that says he likes the idea of the fed but don't know if it's for him. So instead of announcing "Joe Schmo vs. Matt Myers", we simply say "plus other SWF superstars". Joe Schmo then gets an e-mail/instant message with Matt Myers' stats included and is advised of a smaller word limit (say 2000 or 2500 words). This way, if Joe Schmo gets frustrated and decides not to show or that the SWF isn't for him, no harm no foul because we never advertised him on the shows. If he shows, then we've got a squash match to help fill out the shows and use to break up some of the upper card matches.

4. As far as booking goes. What I know right now is that I have to come back long enough to win the World Title, because simply put, that was the one goal I had when I came to the SWF two years ago and I haven't achieved that yet. But after that, hell, I ran an e-fed essentially solo for 6 years. I have no problem helping out with the creative end of things, especially if we get some new blood come hell or high water.

5. If it does come down to closing up shop, just give us one month's notice. Plenty of time to get most retirement angles taken care of, plenty of time to set up a kickass final show. Just don't call the show Genesis because it's just freaking silly for a word meaning "beginning" to be the name of a company's final PPV.

Crow would be welcome back. WELCOME. Or any other character written by you, I think.

I honestly know nothing about MySpace. Toxx, next time we collide on AIM, give me the "MySpace for Dummies" crash course.

Regarding moving - as long as it's organized, I don't think it would do too much damage to us. Moving to TSM kinda fucked us because IGN just changed the locks one night, but a real, organized move shouldn't hurt us. The only question is how much, if at all, we'll benefit - and here again, I know jack shit about MySpace, so I'll wait til I'm more edumacated on it before weighing in on that.

So get on AIM earlier. I can't be waiting around until you night owls get on with your fancy "Eastern Standard Time" or whatever you have in Salt Lake City. Probably Mid Western Time, or Wild Western Time, or Redneck Time, or something ;)

I have expressed my opinion to Raynor on this, so I'll now widen it to the rest of the fed - 'site only' stuff is pointless, at least if it's anything important. Look at it this way - right now I'm trying to advertise on MySpace, where i think we can advertise more effectively than we ever will with a website. But the fed is here still (although a MySpace group is at least technically feasible), so we're trying to get people to look at two sites. Add in a third, and the fed is spread piecemeal around the internet with people going to different places to get different things.

If we get the website up and running, that might be the time to leave the TSM boards, but I think to make this work we need to spread the content so as much as possible is anywhere that we leave our footprint.