TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
swan

WSX pulled from air next Tuesday.

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=22952&p=1

In the midst of major shakeups within the network's executive end, MTV has pulled the fourth episode of MTV Wrestling Society X from next week's scheduled airing at 10:30 PM.

While the actual yanking of the episode was due to an issue with the MTV's standards and practices department, sources claim that the network is also trying to change their strategy moving forward, both with WSX and other first-run programming. A program titled "Scarred" will run next Tuesday in WSX's usual timeslot.

The pulled WSX episode was slated to feature the debut of IWA Puerto Rico star Ricky Banderas, during which he would throw a fireball into WSX champion Vampiro's face. MTV initially approved the storyline and stunt when it was filmed during WSX's taping in Los Angeles. Once the network received and reviewed the episode, the decision was made to not allow it to air due to concerns over children possibly recreating the stunt. Since the fireball angle was one of the company's main storylines for the length of their episodes, the situation went back and forth within the network and has yet to be resolved, thus the pulling of the episode.

In a January interview with PWInsider.com, Wrestling Society X producer Kevin Klinerock discussed the MTV issues with producing a product that would feature violent stunts, commenting, "The biggest issue that standard and practices, and everyone at MTV has - and it's understandable. The concern is, 'How easy is it for some kid, some viewer, to replicate what they are seeing?' They don't want us swinging light tubes. Understood. An exploding casket, however, is not seen in the same light on the same scale of sheer violence of swinging a light tube; a kid's not going to be able to get an exploding casket in their backyard. That's their concern. It doesn't come from a sake of wanting or not wanting something to be seen on television, they have real series concerns. They've lived through a number of lawsuits from kids watching and imitating "Jacka**" and similar things, and it's just their set of standards that the entire network lives by. It doesn't matter if it's a wrestling show or "The Real World." It's just a standard of rules that everyone has to live by. "The standard [MTV uses] is how easy is it for someone to replicate it. That's what we have to look at when it comes to stunts and violence. It's not a whitewash WCW using cotton candy as weapons by any stretch of the imagination. It's definitely got your mix of extreme and your mix of entertaining in-ring high flying action. We give a little bit of each in each episode, the extreme violence and the excellent high flying technical in-ring wrestling. I think we accomplish that. Most episodes were laid out that way."

Additionally, MTV as a network is in a major state of flux at the moment with ratings for their original programming down across the board. In response, parent company Viacom has let go of 250 employees in the last several days including several high ranking executives, with some given two week notices and other departments being completely shut down.

Among those fired according to today;s edition of entertainment trade publication The Hollywood Reporter was Paul DeBenedittis, who held the position of Executive Vice President of "multiplatform programming, content strategy and scheduling at MTV", was among those fired. DeBendittis was responsible for MTV's programming decisions, including placing WSX up against WWE's ECW on Sci Fi.

Sources claim the network is re-evaluating the programming currently airing on the network. Its possible that moving forward, WSX may be moved to another timeslot to get it away from the competition of ECW.

When asked whether the series was in danger of being canceled after garnering just a 0.5 rating this week, WSX sources noted MTV had already paid for the production of the 10 filmed episodes and that it wouldn't make sense for the network to not air what they had already invested in.

As of now, those sources indicate that Wrestling Society X is scheduled to return on Tuesday 2/27 at 10:30 PM, although that could conceivably change as things evolve from the standards and practices end.

PWInsider.com will have more on the state of Wrestling Society X as the story continues to develop

So let me get this right....the station that shows Jackass and Viva La Bam and Wildboyz has a problem with a fireball angle?

It's cool to teach kids to screw with animals than can eat them and do really stupid shit......but fake stuff in wrestling is bad umkay.

Other networks need to start using these kinds of Standards and Practices. NBC for example -- "Well on Law and Order SVU we've got this guy raping a woman with a candlestick then shooting her with a gun. Anyone can buy a gun and candlestick, so we better not air the episode, or replace the gun with a flaming Phoenix since those don't exist and instead of a candlestick we'll use an exact replica of a Ford Model-T."

If MTV is going this route to protect the youth of America, then it needs to dump The Real World, Laguna Beach, The Hills, etc. to prevent brainwashing future generations from being vaccuous, shallow sluts.

To me it says they were looking for any reason to get this off the air. Whoever is the new guy deciding MTV's programming probably decided they don't want to show wrestling.

If they applied this standard to all of their shows most everything they show would get pulled, including most music videos. It's about getting wrestling off the network cause the new guy doesn't like it.....

That's my thought anyway.

If the major shake-up ends up being MTV starts showing, you know, music videos instead of crappy faux reality programs then I approve. Odds are they will throw the episodes up at like various times throughout the week just to say they aired them.

Shame for WSX, they were giving me quite a fun laugh every week.

If the major shake-up ends up being MTV starts showing, you know, music videos instead of crappy faux reality programs then I approve. Odds are they will throw the episodes up at like various times throughout the week just to say they aired them.

I think they're cancelling TRL...........but you know with the music that is popular these days I'm not sure videos would be great either. I mean unless of course you dig BET version 2, anytime they show videos it's all rap.

I think they're cancelling TRL...........but you know with the music that is popular these days I'm not sure videos would be great either. I mean unless of course you dig BET version 2, anytime they show videos it's all rap.

Yeah, MTV did go all rap crazy. Fuse occasionally shows rock, MTV2 will show metal with Headbanger's Ball. I usually just watch IMF since it's been nothing but videos with a splash of cultural knowledge mixed in until they eventually get destroyed.

If WSX is dead, it's a shame for those guys who finally thought they were getting their big break.

So let me get this right....the station that shows Jackass and Viva La Bam and Wildboyz has a problem with a fireball angle?

Almost as funny as TBS standards and practices challenging everything WCW did that was somewhat questionable and then a year later airing Sex and the City on their station.

Guest DogOn

Anything dealing with censhorship and 'standards' (MTV stands for classy BTW) is just going to be contradicting. Which is one of many reasons why censhorship is bullshit.

Are they even showing 2 minutes worth of a music video on TRL anymore? Last time I checked, you saw a clip of the video and during the clip some dumbass fan would say hi to someone and then that would happen a few more times then the clip of the video was over. TRL had to be one of the biggest jokes of a top ten countdown show ever produced.

As for WSX being pulled, i'm not surprised by it what so ever. I think one of two things happen, someone saw a episode and saw how bad it looked or they had a panic attack about the 0.5 rating and they pulled it.

So it means that Sean Waltman, Rickey Banderas, Vampiro storyline got thrown out and they have to go back to the studio to come up with something new? Bah who cares just fill the next month or so of tv with nothing but PWG, Dragon Gate, and more MATT CLASSIC! There is no need for the excessive explosions, fire, and whatever shit they can blow up just bring on the crazy white man lucha and table spots and the comedy!

Just think if they thought the fireball was bad what would the censors reaction be to the "piranha fish tank of death"!

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=23010&p=1

UPDATE ON MTV WRESTLING SOCIETY X

by Mike Johnson @ 11:36:00 AM on 2/19/2007

The fourth episode of MTV Wrestling Society X, which was yanked due to a fireball spot featuring Vampiro, has finally cleared MTV's standards and practices.

The episode will air (with the contested fireball spot edited to some degree) on Tuesday 2/27. Following that, the remaining six WSX episodes will continue to air on Tuesdays at 10:30 PM Eastern.

At this point, that is the only timeslot for the series on MTV, although there's talk of giving WSX back a regular replay timeslot. There are a number of replays of previous episodes scheduled for MTV2 and MTV3 currently.