TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AmericanDragon

Grindhouse

Guest Vitamin X
I just couldn't get into Death Proof... Tarantino basically jerked off about how he's seen a bunch of car chase films. Well, why shouldn't we just watch Thunderbolt Run instead of 40 minutes of dialogue about Thunderbolt Run?

No shit. And saying it was 40 minutes of dialogue about car chase movies is probably no exagerration, too.

Fun fact, though. Zoe (whose characters name is her actual name) is in fact, actually a stuntwoman, and if you check out her IMDB, she was Uma Thurman's stunt double in Kill Bill. So that's pretty awesome if you think about it.

Another fun fact is that Rose McGowan is apparently Quentin Tarantino's favorite actress.

Fun fact, though. Zoe (whose characters name is her actual name) is in fact, actually a stuntwoman, and if you check out her IMDB, she was Uma Thurman's stunt double in Kill Bill. So that's pretty awesome if you think about it.

I thought everyone knew this already.

I'm not saying Death Proof didn't have its moments, but it's not anywhere near the level of Planet Terror for consistent entertainment. The first 10-15 mins. of Death Proof are flat out horrible until Russell gets into it. I thought of going to the bathroom during that and I wasn't desperately in need of a piss break.

The troubling aspect of Death Proof is that I fully believe Tarantino thinks the movies mentioned are classics. I haven't seen Vanishing Point or Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry (though I might want to check out Vanishing Point) but from checking out reviews neither has any serious reputation to justify all the pimping. I asked my dad about Vanishing Point since it was mentioned so much in Grindhouse, and he said "Yeah I saw it years ago at a drive in....I don't recall it being all that much."

Of all the director's involved in Grindhouse I think Tarantino is the only one who wasn't in on the joke. Rodriguez got the joke and had a blast. Rob Zombie sent up the silly Werewolf/Nazi genre. Wright and Roth sent up cheesy 1970s horror. Tarantino actually seemed to be trying to make a real movie.

I've seen 'Vanishing Point'... and it's a great chase movie. It's sorta like car fetishising though, which is why I think it was so referenced.

Bullitt, French Connection, and To live and Die in LA are far, far, superior, as movies and chase scenes.

Just saw them sober for the first time.

Planet Terror was a well-done Zombie movie. I enjoyed it tremendously over the shit that was "Land of the Dead" (all hype and then flat) and "Slither" (no hype then ridiculously good online reviews for a terrible movie). Best "Zombie" movie in a long time. Fun, fun.

The trailers were funny. Werewolf Women of the S.S. was my personal favorite.

Eli Roth and Tarantino need to stop being actors in films. They're terribly poor.

Death Proof was the worst movie I have seen in theatres since Elektra. It fucking reaked. Russell did nothing likeable or fun and ultimately got turned into a bitch by fucking Rosario Dawson, who I've never seen featured in a good movie. The fact that Zoe didn't get off the car any number of times that Russell's car was stopped is ridiculous. Terrible.

Overall, a great concept by people I KNOW respect the genre, but poor delivery. Liked Planet Terror, though, so I might get the DVD just for it.

Car Chase Movies are usually terrible, so why Tarantino chose THAT Genre to throw in, after a drop-dead knock out crazy Zombie feature, astonishes me.

Car Chase Movies are usually terrible,

Well, sez you. And Russell did nothing likeable? He was fucking awesome. I really don't know how you couldn't like him in that movie.

I dunno, Rosario Dawson was in Sin City and Clerks 2, both of which I enjoy immensely. Though I don't guess she was exactly starring in either.

Death Proof I think proved something that I've felt about Tarantino for a while now. The guy cannot write scenes with women for shit. Not counting Jackie Brown since that was originally Elmore Leonard. The dreariest parts of any Tarantino movie are the extended scenes with female dialogue. The stuff with Bruce Willis and his girlfriend in Pulp Fiction is tedious, and I might take some shit for this but I also found the Uma/Travolta diner scene meandering and pointless before the dance number. Kill Bill 2 had the ungodly long and drawn out Uma/Carradine stuff, though I have to admit those scenes are growing on me with repeat viewings. And of course the nadir of his writing in Death Proof with the incredibly aimless and boring scenes with the various chicks talking.

I think that is Death Proof came before Palnet Terror it would have been better. After all the action in PT, you can't have a dialouge heavy, no action first have of a film. It kills the moment. Being in to grindhouse fare I got the joke of DP and it was well made. Kurt Russell was classic of his portrail of the killer that is nothing more than a pussy. The thing that tied in the two films was the "women empowerment" part of the films. That was done well. I know I'm going to buy the double feature version when it comes out oppsed to the single film version.

I think Rosario Dawson is pretty great, but I have to admit, the majority of that is she's just fine as fuck. She was terrific in Sin City She was good in Death Proof as well.

I too think that Clerks 2 was really forced. A really bad movie with two great scenes (LoTR speech and the Crying Game)

I have no problem with the lot of people that think she's really hot, she's got a smokin' body, but that face just totally turns me off for some reason, and I think it makes me biased when judging her acting. I can't stand her face, so I can't stand her acting. She's by no means ugly, I guess, but her face is really a big turnoff.

Kids was awful and I hate it with a passion.

Haven't seen Rent but from the sounds of it I'd hate it.

25th Hour, never heard of it.

The Rundown was fun, not great, but she was the 4th main character under Rock, Scott, and Walken.

"She was terrific in Sin City"

The one flick that I found her SMOKIN' in. Face and all!

In Europe that is what they are doing since Europeans really don't know what a Grindhouse is. The plan from what I read is to do the same thing here. The Weinstein Company wants to release Planet Terror first then have [/b]Death Proof[/b] make the rounds on the indy circuit and then a few months later DP will go back into the theaters. I think it's being done since the movie seemed long for a few people. Also, when it hits DVD you will either be able to pick them up seperatly or together.

Guest A.BUTCHER'S HOUSE OF RIBS

Anyone that digs the trailers for the fake films in Grindhouse should check out the Something Weird DVD sampler. It's got hundreds of trailers of Grindhouse films.

Yeah when this comes out on DVD they need to either make it a double disc release or buy 1 at a time. Splitting them up and not offering a 2 disc set is foolish.

I liked Death Proof better the 2nd time around, still didn't like the ending so much, though.

And it's probably not a good sign, but the local theatre here has already dropped it after just the one week. To be honest, though, I was a little surprised that they even had it at all.

This was really fun

Planet Terror was great. Very fun and exciting the whole way through. Good to see Jeff Fahey and Michael Biehn acting. They rocked in this movie.

Trailers all were great. Especially Werewolf Women of The SS

Death Proof was terrible and the worst movie I've seen in a while. Kurt Russell delivers a fantastic performance, but he was way more likeable than the group of women. I actually liked the first group better than the second group. Rosario was pretty good in this as she has this odd charm or charisma that makes me like her. Zoe Bell sucked and was really off. Tracie Thomas as Kim was terrible, and was the most grating character I've seen in a long time. Every other word was Bitch, Muthafucker, or the n-word. The diner scene just wouldn't end. Kurt Russell and the car chase/first death scene are the only good parts.

Guest Queen Leelee

I've only seen the Death Proof part so far... and it was incredibly boring. Pointless dialog that goes on forever, and that ending chase was pointless. Weird, boring shit. I guess I just don't get movies...

Deathproof is getting a 2 Disc Extended Edition release seperately on 9/18 for what its worth, Ive not seen anything about a Grindhouse DVD release yet.

Presented here as the extended version submitted to the Cannes Film Festival, Quentin Tarantino's half of the "Grindhouse" double feature stars Kurt Russell as a psychotic stunt driver who uses his souped-up movie car to stalk and kill unsuspecting young women. But Russell gets more than he bargained for when he targets a group of girls with a deadly fast ride of their own and a crazy streak almost as long as his, setting the stage for a breakneck chase on a windy rural road. Rosario Dawson, Tracie Thoms, Zoe Bell also star. Extended version. Widescreen; Soundtrack: English. Two-disc set.

I also saw theres a NC-17 Combined Version of Kill Bill (Kill Bill: Recut) coming out the same day (its listed on that same page) but thats for another thread, though I had been waiting forever for it so I wouldn't have to double dip..

Oh, and..haha..Machette is actually going to be released direct to DVD at the same time lol..

Well, cool. I seem to be the only guy on the planet who felt this way, but I hated Planet Terror and loved Deathproof, so I certainly wouldn't mind a DVD of just one and not the other, as long as it's still got all the trailers on there. Also, NC-17 cut of Kill Bill? Hell, all they'd have to do for that would be turn the black & white part of the tea house massacre back into color.

Of all three of those DVDs, I will only be getting Machette. I cannot stand the first 30-40 minutes of Death Proof enough to warrant dropping 20 bucks on it. I'll wait for the special edition GRINDHOUSE release in 2 years.

Guest Vitamin X

I wouldn't mind getting the Kill Bill Recut one. I've been waiting forever for that.

"Well, cool. I seem to be the only guy on the planet who felt this way, but I hated Planet Terror and loved Deathproof, so I certainly wouldn't mind a DVD of just one and not the other, as long as it's still got all the trailers on there. Also, NC-17 cut of Kill Bill? Hell, all they'd have to do for that would be turn the black & white part of the tea house massacre back into color."

Your not the only one. "Planet Terror" was too ironic for my taste and seemed to drag on for way too long. "Deathproof" felt like a real homage with a Tarantio spin.

I saw a bevy of rumors on the Grindhouse release and the individual releases, the biggest of which was that both will be released seperately as SE extended cuts and then eventually they'll get around to releasing both together with the original theatrical version and a cleaned up theatrical version (no artificial wearing of the picture) as well as the "missing" reels and trailers that aired before each movie. Other rumors included a HD-DVD release and the inclusion of Machette in the Complete Grindhouse release as a bonus. Rodriguez will finish shooting Machette (already rumored to have about 40 minutes of footage shot just for the trailer) before getting to work on Sin City 2, so use that as a timeline for when Machette will be released. None of the other trailers will be given a full release.

Interestingly enough, I learned that Disney still owns Kill Bill Vol 1 and Vol 2 which ensures Blu Ray release for them sepeately, but the Weinsteins got the rights to "Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair" which is the uncut version with both movies together with an NC-17 rating (as pointed out above, probably mainly due to colorizing the b&w scene) which ensures a HD-DVD release of that since they support HD-DVD. Its been "in the works" forever which is why I almost broke down and bought both on sale, but I'll wait now that I know its out in Sept on DVD.