Storm comments for 2/14!

Match of the Night  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What was the match of the night?

• Wildchild vs. Zack Malibu
    • Johnny Dangerous vs. Calvin Szechstein
    • Blood & Thunder vs. Asia Underground
    • Matt Myers vs. Zyon
    • Insane Luchador vs. Jimmy the Doom (Hardcore Title)
    • Alan Clark vs. Michael Stephens
    • Gabriel Drake vs. Ricky Barbosa

Solid show all around. I was especially impressed with Zyon's showing - he wrote a really nice match and did some interesting things with the Myers character.

Stephens/Clark was quite a difficult decision. I'd like Clark to post his losing match for feedback, since it was among his better efforts and he just happened to run into the freight train that is Stephens. Of course, there's a rematch coming up for Clark's International Championship, so he'll get a chance to avenge himself.

Of 14 potential slots (7 matches with two expected showings each), we had 9 written matches, for a writing rate of 64.2857%. One match was much later than I expected it, and one writer wrote a match he wasn't satisfied with, so he didn't send it in. (I didn't count that as a showing.)

Edited by Ace309

Before anyone inquires who wrote and didn't hand in, that was me. I'll save Ace the trouble of responding to that question. And no, its not a confidence thing. At least not the way some of you might think.

I'll edit my post to pertain to the actual show when I can read it more in-depth, after I get back home from work but needless to say right now, I enjoyed the Drake vs. Barbosa match and Toxxic is well Toxxic and his match was damn fine.

Let me start by saying I read Clark's match before he did some final editing and I believed it would be close. He just has to get a little deeper into the character's stories and then I think he might take Stephens in the rematch. It would be a tough win, but clearly possible.

Promo-wise, I think Maddix and Stephens have been doing a good job showing just how quickly someone can go from the penthouse to the outhouse and vice versa. I get a distinct WWE backstage vibe which works well considering the situation. I've got to work, but the next person that asks for comments on their match will get 'em. I think I'll do Wildchild vs. Malibu anyway so you guys don't have to worry about it.

P.S. Please don't comment on my match, as par for the course I enjoyed what I was writing up until I hit the wall and started sucking.

Good show overall. WC brought the goodness like he usually does. I was a bit disappointed by the next two matches, even though Johnny vs Cadillac could have been an angle match, not sure. Wish the tag match was longer since when Akira writes he's good, he's gotten a lot better, but it also seems he's gotten lazier. And its always great to read Cross' stuff, but the match was too short for satisfaction especially since it was the reformation of AU, of course, there are times where people just have time, so it's no big deal. Hardcore title match was the usual good Doom match with the sillyness sprinkled in.

The sub main event and main event were awesome. Stephens writes a great match and I especially love the ending where Stephens introduces his grin to Clarks ever smiling grin. Great match. I also recommend Clark's losing match as that was very good as well. The International Title match should be great. Gabe vs Barbosa was exactly what I was hoping for. Gabriel Drake is such a fun character to read.

Two Skinny White Guys deliver the promo goodness. Some more promos from others (including myself) would be nice. But what we did get was gold.

Overall a good show to get the SWF Revival campaign going.

Because people seem to have lives, and I don't - my feedback for the show. Before I do, a warning: I'm not gonna pretend to know what the hell is going history wise, before I came back. If something goes over my head, just smack me with the cold hard cod fish of truth and I'l be on my way.

I'll be postponing a promo I meant to do for this, because I honestly did say I was gonna do this after work. Stupid me for taking the overtime that was offered. ...though, more money to pay bills now.

First of all, I really enjoyed the opening promo. It was a nice way to break the ice and definitely made me have a great laugh. Kudos on it, whoever wrote it. A good promo always breaks the ice, and should either a) get the crowd going or b) get them emotionally built into it. This only did a) but I liked it for that. You can also do a + b, but those aren't usually the opening promos.

WC vs. ZM - As always from a WC match, WC just goes into overdrive from the get-go and its why I always wished my matches as LF could've been. BTW, that's LF the character, not LF me. Also was gonna complain that WC keeps moving and there's no commentary, but then I just picture Mak and King trying to keep up with their mouths and going "just speak when he slows down". Other than that, lots of action WC. Good stuff.

Dear God, why the hell did I say I was gonna do this, my eyes are going blurry from lack of sleep. Oh well, continuing on.

JD vs. CS - I take it CS didn't show, because that was an awfully quick match. ...then again, should I speak? Oh wait, I had and did, so its a moot point.

Asia vs. BT - Pretty small match, but was decent. Nice introduction of a newbie ref.

...I so need to get some sleep... Promo + 4000k match ain't gonna be easy if I'm half dead to the world. And I've got a damn podcast thing on Sunday limiting my time to Saturday to get my match done.

Toxxic's promo - This is b) from what I said earlier. Nice delivery, but its Toxxic, so yeah.

Myers vs. Zyon - Pretty entertaining match, I understand what Myers is like now and I definitely will be using it to my advantage for the upcoming match. As for the actual match, I love the fact that Zyon made "Hollywood" Matt Myers.

House of Marvellous - Not sure how this started, but I'm entertained never the less. Wonder what Landon's match selection will be, but definitely interesting to see how different this is.

IL vs. Jimmy - Pretty good match. I'm getting too tired to think anything more.

Toxxic vs. AC - I had read Alan's before this one, and I can definitely say I would take either or since both are freaking solid matches. Especially liked the idea of actually saying what's in Toxxic's tron video. Nice touch.

Drake vs. Barbosa - I ain't commenting other than saying Drake made me even more pissed with myself for the trash I produced originally. Great match, and frankly nice job of at least letting me be presentable. I also have some selling to do for my next match.

Now for much needed sleep. Until the Devil Kitty wakes me up at 6am or 5 hours from now, whichever comes first or at the same time.

I love the fact that Zyon made "Hollywood" Matt Myers.
Funny because that's the only part of the match I had a problem with - Myers dresses up to entertain the crowd, to make them laugh and have a good time.

When was the last time SPike Jenkins made someone laugh (Intentionally) and have a good time? Plus he's a heel so he's a choice that Myers just wouldn't go for. My suggestion? 14th President of the United States Franklin Pierce (Myers) and Vice President William R. King (Matheson) (With a comedic twist to it), it's Sports Edutainmnet :D something totally off the wall.

Yeah, but seeing comedy Matt Myers dressing up as (the last time we saw him) the psycho, crazy, neck-snapping, all-serious Spike Jenkins would probably work. I wouldn't like to see Myers run through the whole fed (although Landon's paid him to impersonate Toxxic before, remember), but there's no problem with it for a little variety.

I love the fact that Zyon made "Hollywood" Matt Myers.
Funny because that's the only part of the match I had a problem with - Myers dresses up to entertain the crowd, to make them laugh and have a good time.

When was the last time SPike Jenkins made someone laugh (Intentionally) and have a good time? Plus he's a heel so he's a choice that Myers just wouldn't go for. My suggestion? 14th President of the United States Franklin Pierce (Myers) and Vice President William R. King (Matheson) (With a comedic twist to it), it's Sports Edutainmnet :D something totally off the wall.

There was a lot of pieces I laughed at, just because a damn near perfect emulation that almost beats Zyon is in itself fun. Maybe not funny, but it was a fun read. Not all the time does a funny gimmick need to be "hahaha" funny. There are times it can just be fun as in "wow, cool" type of deal.

...yes, I know what evil I just spoke of thanks.

Yeah, but seeing comedy Matt Myers dressing up as (the last time we saw him) the psycho, crazy, neck-snapping, all-serious Spike Jenkins would probably work. I wouldn't like to see Myers run through the whole fed (although Landon's paid him to impersonate Toxxic before, remember), but there's no problem with it for a little variety.

Oh, I don't know. There was enough people in the federation that you could get away with impersonating some long forgotten wannabe that made a splash and then just sorts faltered. ...not saying I'd do something like that or have that exactly planned for my match, but there is enough to go around. I will say though, I'm very tempted to somehow do up Matt "Cardboard" Myers, in tribute to the always active Cardboard Comet! Or even the Pilsbury Doughboy!

Yeah, no bringing back some ol' foggie for me. No siree.

"But King, he's spike Jenkins after all. And what's a Spike Jenkins match without a cravate?"

"A much better match."

That's gold, Jerry!

The Two Skinny White Guys will rue the day; it's on, bitches!

And Pennyfeather J. Poppycock is the greatest referee of all time.

Oh man I just realized, it would have been total GENIUS to have Myers be the wheelchair bound Mak, talk about going outside the box

Well, after re-reading Wildchild's match I must say that the pacing is really fast. It just reads like a 8-12 minute sprint match with few breaks in between. This is a cruiser contest so that's good that it went by so quickly. Lots of back and forth.The best part about your match is the use of basic manuevers like the double axe-handle and leg drops. It was different structure wise because there wasn't really an extended heat segment, but you did do one briefly, which leads to my next comment. I see that someone's been watching RAW cause they modified Victoria's Boston Crab counter to Trish's Corner Handstand Rana. Nice spot. I do wish that you had teased his Superkick and maybe set some heel/face lines though. I understand running face/face since he's the top face from the OAOAST, so IMO you could have added to this by splitting the crowd and blaming it on WC being a Kings fan or something. And lastly, you should probably explain what the Bird Dropping is as it's happening because most people won't know your stats, even if it is your finisher.

Well, after re-reading Wildchild's match I must say that the pacing is really fast. It just reads like a 8-12 minute sprint match with few breaks in between.

That's how I do... ;)

This is a cruiser contest so that's good that it went by so quickly. Lots of back and forth.The best part about your match is the use of basic manuevers like the double axe-handle and leg drops.
I dig the old school... Plus, I've never been a big fan of hitting, like, a corkscrew moonsault, and having the other guy kick out; if I put something like that on you, damnit, you should stay down!

It was different structure wise because there wasn't really an extended heat segment, but you did do one briefly, which leads to my next comment.

I don't like heat segments; they detract from my spots. :P

That's why Johnny and I have always done well as a team, I think: he's the big picture, ideas guy, who comes up with all the dramatic stuff and the "Hollywood" endings, and I do the technical, heavy-hitting stuff. Hell, it was suggested to me that the main reason why I lost the tag title match I had to write by myself against Galacticos when Johnny was AWOL was because my match wasn't dramatic enough, and didn't have an epic enough finish... I, personally, don't particuarly like to do "epic" finishes, and I'm certainly not all that good at it. I usually let Johnny handle that shit, and then I just smooth out the rough edges on his ideas...

I see that someone's been watching RAW cause they modified Victoria's Boston Crab counter to Trish's Corner Handstand Rana.
More like I was watching Jericho versus Mysterio from about ten years ago...

Nice spot. I do wish that you had teased his Superkick and maybe set some heel/face lines though. I understand running face/face since he's the top face from the OAOAST, so IMO you could have added to this by splitting the crowd and blaming it on WC being a Kings fan or something.

Sorry, I was under the gun; you may have noticed that my match was more than a thousand words under the limit.

And lastly, you should probably explain what the Bird Dropping is as it's happening because most people won't know your stats, even if it is your finisher.

The Bird Dropping was WC's finisher from when he was masquerading as Birdman, and I brought it over because I like it, and saw no reason to quit using it. Basically, it's a vertical splash from the top rope; the last person that I actually saw using it was face Doink, when he called it the Whoopie Cushion. That same wrestler (Matt Borne) also used the same move in WCW when he was wrestling as Big Josh, only he called it the Northern Exposure then. If you still can't visualize the move, try to picture Earthquake's finisher done from the top rope.

And lastly, you should probably explain what the Bird Dropping is as it's happening because most people won't know your stats, even if it is your finisher.

The Bird Dropping was WC's finisher from when he was masquerading as Birdman, and I brought it over because I like it, and saw no reason to quit using it. Basically, it's a vertical splash from the top rope; the last person that I actually saw using it was face Doink, when he called it the Whoopie Cushion. That same wrestler (Matt Borne) also used the same move in WCW when he was wrestling as Big Josh, only he called it the Northern Exposure then. If you still can't visualize the move, try to picture Earthquake's finisher done from the top rope.

Not to BUTT in or anything, but I think Mak was referring more to a description during the match (or also during the match). The description during the match was WC leaping off the top and hitting it, but it didn't really describe what The Bird Dropping actually was or did. Something along the lines of 'Wildchild lands with all his bodyweight BUTT first across Zack's chest with The Bird Dropping' would work better. Or, something that fit better with your writing style, rather than my over-wordy descriptions. :P

And also, Finlay uses a standing version nowadays, although he lands inverted compared to The Bird Dropping.

Uhm, yeah, great show this week. Particular kudos to Zyon for his match and Akira for at least showing, even if it wasn't a 'long' match. Walk before you can run, I guess. Hopefully my HoM skit was okay, I got lost halfway on where to go and how to actually end it, I forgot who's HoM I cribbed the 'Marvelous wants all the scoops' tactic from, but thanks anyway!

Not to BUTT in or anything, but I think Mak was referring more to a description during the match (or also during the match). The description during the match was WC leaping off the top and hitting it, but it didn't really describe what The Bird Dropping actually was or did.

I should have a move like the Scum Gale, where only me and, like, two other people know what it's actually supposed to look like.

Okay, who voted for my match? That thing was awful, and I'll be the first to admit it. Granted, I usually don't like what I write, but this one was just bad. Hell, Clark and Johnny probably skipped over it for that reason, lollersaurus.

Pretty much everything else was good, though. And stuff.

Johnny didn't read the show till 6:30 EST last night. He was pressed for time. I was too stunned with the name Pennyfeather J Poppycock and the idea that you won't lose the title until you get to the "Z"s in your dictionary. Also, I dig "Yakety Sax", but I didn't mention that.

Well, apparently me and Landon have smashed your guys Tag Title record by about sixty days, according to Clark. I haven't worked it out myself though.

Hawke's reign is 274. Doom as of today is 240 and counting, so he's got about a month left. Me and Toxx are up to 189 and counting, where-as W&D's longest was 134. Now we're down to one show a week, we really should have more title matches each show.

Oh, and if Toxx wins on Storm, he'll have won every title active during his run, which is insane.

I'll post the title histories after this week, haven't done so in a while.

Sign in to follow this