TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Failed Bridge

This diet sucks

Marines put me on a strict diet for my last 9 days or so of civilian life. All I can eat is tuna, eggs, pork, chicken, asparagus, broccoli, and green beans. All I can drink is water. Eat small portions every 4hrs.

Couple that with the one huge workout a day I do which is

2 x 20

Push-ups

crunches

leg lifts

jumping jacks

squats

Then off to the gym for

20 Lat pull downs at half my body weight

2min break

10 pull downs with the weight slightly raised

2min break

5 pull downs with weight raised further

20 min on the treadmill

I've already lost like 2lbs today.

that's the workout they gave me and the staff seargent that gave me it is a fitness beast. Basically I suck when it comes to military style pull-ups and this is suppose to remedy it. They don't want me lifting a ton of weights and adding a ton of muscle mass before going down to bootcamp. Its more about strength and conditioning down there then it is being a muscular mass that can't move and has no stamina.

Nice one. For what you're gonna be doing, you definitely don't want to be ripped.

What's causing you problems with the diet? Assuming you have free reign with herbs and spices, you should be able to make some nice stuff there.

Heh. I remember those days of a strict diet before going to North America's hardest boot camp. That's the price one pays for being lazy, and not really caring for their body.

What coast are you going to for your basic training? If it's South Carolina, be fully prepared to be eaten alive by sand fleas, and if it's California, be fully expecting to have your legs nearly broken from shin splits due to the extreme hikes up the massive hills (which are more like small mountains).

If you haven't figured it out, I was a United States Marine. I went to boot camp on 3 January, 2005, at the Recruit Depot, in San Diego. It was a marvelous experience, full of pain and suffering. The first day, first week, both black Fridays, and half way through, you'll be asking yourself what you've gotten yourself into. And, after boot camp, if you're lucky, you'll get recruiters assistance, which means an extra 1 to 2 weeks of leave.

MCT, or SOI (if you're a grunt) is the next stage in your military career. I was a field artillery cannoneer, which equals the MCT route. MCT was the best time I had in the Marine Corps, I learned many weapon systems, did some in-depth MOUT, hard ass hikes, promoted to squad leader, and had a hell of a time.

Next, unless you're a grunt, will be your MOS (Military Occupational Speciality) school. My school, unfortunately sucked. As stated earlier, I was an 0811, I shot the big ass cannon, the 155 mm M-198 medium towed Howitzer. The school is located in Lawton, Oklahoma, on a Army base. Being relatively fresh out of boot camp, it was ridiculous to see how easy the Army has it at boot camp, their Drill Seargeants are a joke, and a disgrace to the uniform, they are usually middle aged, out of shape, and Marine Corps Drill Instructor wannabees.

After your MOS school, you'll go to the fleet, which is the golden land in the Marine Corps. Usually, at your MOS you will get the chance to choose what coast you want to be stationed at. I picked Camp Lejeuene, which is in North Carolina. Lejeune is a beautiful base, but not nearly the size of Camp Pendleton. Both bases, and geographical areas have their own flaws. Personally, I chose NC because it was easier to get home, which was in Michigan.

Anyway, good luck at boot camp. Here's some advice, when the DI's ask for bodies, ALWAYS volunteer. I know your recruiter has probably said otherwise, but you'll regret it if you don't. Usually, a few days after you get to your training DI's, they assign billets. The billets are: scribe (guy who makes rosters, fire watch list) - whiskey pigs (guys who work in the storage room, and get the easy route) - house rats (if you're tiny, you'll get the chance to work in the duty hutt aka the DI's hang out) - linen recruit (whenever your platoon does linen laundry, you'll collect it all, take it to the washers, and wait for it).

Also, get used to never saying: I, my, why, okay, whatever, YES, SIR!, etc.

Oh, and another thing, here's what I had to do to just sign up for boot camp:

In June 2004, I weighed in at 307 pounds at my high school graduation. I went from 307 all the way down to 189 pounds on December 10th, 2004. As boot camp started, I weighed in at 188 pounds, and by boot camp graduation, I weighed 155 pounds!

It's definitely a body altering experience.

I'm headed to lovely Parris Island in South Carolina. My father was a Marine so he already warned me about the Sand Fleas. He said "No matter what you do don't scratch them, because if you do then you'll have to find it and then give it a proper burial".

I don't think I'll be losing much water weight since all I drink is water anyways. There's no caffeine in my system to make me retain water.

But if you work out a lot and down replenish the fluids you'll lose weight quicky, until you're dehydrated.

Water weight.

I wasn't saying you were retaining fluids, at least not any more than any of us do naturally.

I'm headed to lovely Parris Island in South Carolina. My father was a Marine so he already warned me about the Sand Fleas. He said "No matter what you do don't scratch them, because if you do then you'll have to find it and then give it a proper burial".

I don't think I'll be losing much water weight since all I drink is water anyways. There's no caffeine in my system to make me retain water.

??? Caffeine is a diuretic. It pushes water OUT of your system.

I've had two dieticians(sp?) and a marine heavily into fitness tell me that caffeine makes you retain water. Doesn't surprise me since when I stopped drinking soda and went right to water I dropped about 11lbs.

Also with all this weight loss Mik is gonna have to find something else to make fun of me with. I remember him at one point loving to call me a "fatty".

Those people were wrong. Look it up. Put caffeine diuretic into google.

Ya, I did do that. I'm glad you're not anymore. I mean that.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Most herbs and spices have no caloric value. I'm pretty sure the USMC wouldn't care if you cooked with Oregano or something. Make omellettes.

I thought the problem with caffeine (well, specifically soda) was all the empty calories that come with it add up, and cause you to gain weight if you don't burn them off somehow.