TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

My 1 Year Workout Results

Eric you are correct. I said as much above but edited it out. (Too mean)

The only people who should train like body builders are actual body builders. Most people don't realize that body building is very specific and has some very specific goals - it doesn't make sense for the average person.

Cardio burns fat, weights build muscle. They aren't mutually exclusive unless you take it way too far.

Bulking and cutting is dumb. I am not impressed with Matt's results, I had better results after 3-4 months than he has had in a year.

Guest Vitamin X

It doesn't even have to be much, like bigolsmitty pointed out, supporting my theory on the first page. I tried cross country when I was younger and could not manage it, because my body is just not made for that. When I started to play football (hell even when I played baseball at a younger age) I discovered that my body was built for slamming into people and throwing shit around, not running for ridiculously long distances. That being said, even though I worked on my weights, and I get a lot of progress there quickly, I still set a goal for how many miles I should run per week.

Don't go by minutes. Even if it takes you longer to get there, just run a half-mile to warm up, and a mile at the end of your workout. If you feel that you can't run a mile, hit the exercise bike and go as hard as you can for half an hour. After a while, you'll build up some cardio then you can take it out on running.

Also, for anyone trying to lose/gain weight, here's a big tip: Lose the scale. Don't even bother looking at it. It's more of a psychological thing than anything, but I feel that sometimes, let's say if someone has it set in their mind to reach a certain weight goal, they're only going to be trying whatever they can to get there, and not truly establishing lifestyle changes that are going to help them and their bodies. For example, I've been doing more conditioning/cardio lately than musclework, because I look at my body and see that I need some work on toning and getting rid of body fat. I don't say, I'm going to lose x amount of pounds because that's setting yourself up for frustration or, even worse, if you do get there, to become complacent since you've reached your goal and the things you did to get there won't stick. I would say the same things apply to bulking up, although I don't think you necessarily had a goal in mind up to this point, but that whole 30 pounds thing.. Listen, if you work your body right, you shouldn't be worrying so much about how many calories or anything you take in in an exact amount- just eat healthy most of the time, keep the exercise regimen up, and push yourself when you work out. Have fun with it, or you'll never get anywhere, at least that's my philosophy and how I've been able to stay in shape.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I'd like to box Eric to find out which of our fitness goals is superior.

Imagine it, Mr. MM. Thumped by a smoker.

Being able to outbox him wouldn't prove that you were more fit, or that your "fitness goal is superior" (whatever the hell that means).

I could outbox any female Olympic gymnast--doesn't mean I'm a better athlete.

Being able to outbox him wouldn't prove that you were more fit, or that your "fitness goal is superior" (whatever the hell that means).

i think gene just wants to punch a hole in rat face.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Mary Lou Retton would hand you your ass, stringbean.

I just do little things like taking a multivitamin in the morning before work, keeping a brisk pace as I hurtle around during work itself, not taking elevators, and limiting crap food. I generally walk 1-2 miles around downtown Charleston itself twice each day too. Oh, and cigarettes help. I dropped from 180 down to 155-160 in eight months, and feel great. I've also gained such a solid bedrock of actual muscle that my figure is really hard to alter unless I starved myself or went on the Dr. Nick diet. I've noticed that results also multiply during times of a natural day/night sleep cycle. You know, asleep before midnight or one at the latest, awake by 10 or earlier. Naps will kill you.

see that's just it, Matt doesn't need to be a track star, but 20 to 30 minutes on a treadmill everyday (or out in nature) wouldn't hurt him.

Dude, everyday? He'd burn up way too many calories to have a hope of gaining any weight. 3 times a week maybe, but everyday? An average person certainly does not need that much cardio.

Yeah everyday is exhausting.

Oh! If he's gonna start doing cardio, he'd better start stretching or he'll pull everything.

Matt, I really hope you've been stretching while you were putting on all that weight. You don't wanna pull a Bautista...

see that's just it, Matt doesn't need to be a track star, but 20 to 30 minutes on a treadmill everyday (or out in nature) wouldn't hurt him.

Dude, everyday? He'd burn up way too many calories to have a hope of gaining any weight. 3 times a week maybe, but everyday? An average person certainly does not need that much cardio.

Guess I'm different then?

Yeah... I got a big ol' linebacker frame (without the talent) so I need to do cardio as much as possible. 7 days a week would be ideal but I'm too lazy for that so 5 ends up being where it settles.

Some people just give blanket advice based on their own bodies without considering differences. It's hilarious. (I'm not talking about any one person in particular)

Guest Tzar Lysergic

My blanket advice only consists of

Calories In>Calories Out =Gain weight

Calories In<Calories Out =Lose weight

Eh, last year around this time I was training like I was going to be a strongman. That shit was fun, but I still kept my cardio and yoga routine intact. I got up to about 285.

Then over the summer I tried some crazy like training, that I could only fit in all my routines maybe twice a week. I still swam 2 miles a day, and stretched an hour each day. Got down to 240.

Now I'm putting on a little more weight right now and I'm around 255.

I can still fit into my clothes that I wore back in my freshman year of high school... which I weighed the most at 315.

I don't lose any of my mass, I just get more toned. I've lost most of my gut... but this can't be a good sign that when I lost 75 pounds my clothes still fit me the same way?

Well, you are black. In our university weight room, as a general rule, you notice black athletes don't need to work out nearly as hard as white athletes to achieve a muscular look. Genetically, I think black people are predisposed to having a superior muscular body.

Guest Oedipus Rex

Well, you are black. In our university weight room, as a general rule, you notice black athletes don't need to work out nearly as hard as white athletes to achieve a muscular look. Genetically, I think black people are predisposed to having a superior muscular body.

Genius the Greek

I can still fit into my clothes that I wore back in my freshman year of high school... which I weighed the most at 315.

I don't lose any of my mass, I just get more toned. I've lost most of my gut... but this can't be a good sign that when I lost 75 pounds my clothes still fit me the same way?

I hope you're one tall chicken eatin' mo'fucka

Genius the Greek

Do you guys disagree that in general black athletes are usually quicker, can jump higher, and have an easier time building muscle mass? In my four years of college athletics at UC I've probably seen 500+ athletes in our weight center. As a general rule black athletes have a much more impressive build. Why do you think that positions in the NFL that require speed are almost exclusively taken by black athletes.

In our athletic center you'll always hear the black athletes giving the white guys a hard time on their bodies, making fun of how hard they have to work.

And just to be clear I'm obvisiously not saying that every black person can put on muscle easy. I'm not saying that black people have some type of super gene that enables them to put on muscle faster. I'm saying that in general they have a better natural frame and body type for athletics than white people.

Yes I disagree.

Okay, why then in the NFL are almost all wide receivers, running backs and corners black when they make up roughly 10-15% of the US Population. If all races have the same basic body type those numbers would even out. Why do black people make up such a large percentage of the NBA, and the US Sprinting Track team in the olympics? I awaite your response.

Wow bringing the stupid.

Why are white people lawyers? They smarter? Why are KKK members white? They better at wearing sheets and burning shit?

Here is a hint: people choose their own professions. If black people are so athletic, why aren't they playing hockey? Why are many of the best baseball players Cuban/Latin/etc? How come white Americans seem to suck at basketball these days but white Europeans are tearing it up? Are white Europeans naturally more gifted than white Americans?

Okay, why then in the NFL are almost all wide receivers, running backs and corners black when they make up roughly 10-15% of the US Population. If all races have the same basic body type those numbers would even out.

No, they wouldn't. That would only be true if the NFL could draft anyone at age 6 and they had to become football players once drafted.

Why aren't there a lot of awesome black hockey players? Because black people don't care about hockey very much. Why are the best baseball players from Latin America? Because baseball is big in Latin American and baseball is a way to make a better life for yourself.

You are assuming that everyone in the world *wants* to be an NFL player. News flash: they don't.

Also I would point out the darker you look the more muscular you look. White guys look more muscular with a tan. That mean tan people are better at football?

---

As far as cardio is concerned, a half-hour a day is not too much. On a bike you'll burn something like 300-400 calories. in a half-hour if even that.