TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

Leopard Countdown thread

Man - I can't wait.

I got my departmental funds to purchase a new computer today but I'm (im)patiently waiting for new MacBook Pros (which may or may not actually be new) to ship w/ Leopard hopefully first week of April. They will also have the new iLife '07 and iWork '07 installed, apparently. I'm kind of an impulse shopper, so waiting for a new $2500 laptop is not proving to be easy for me.

All indication are that leopard will be released end of March.

Discuss any rumors, etc that you hear in here if you want to. The only thing I heard is that they are scrapping Aqua as the color scheme and going with something that has black tones. Calling it illuminous. I also heard the new finder will be all spotlight based.

I honestly should know a little bit more, considering I'll be troubleshooting the damn OS. Sadly, I'll get trained on it about a week after it actually comes out.

Guest Vitamin X

I tried it at my friend's house and it's like half of OSX and half of Vista mixed together.

Basically, it's still a fuckin Mac and it sucks.

According to most rumor sites, it looks like we'll be looking at a mid-June release for Leopard.

Note to self: get a better job or kill self before then.

Eh, it's only $129. You're better off getting 4-5 months out of your new computer and then dropping the money on Leopard.

This is looking God like.

Quick Look and Time Machine are also God like. Spaces looks God like. Mail is God like. iChat is God like.

Guest Vitamin X

I'm guessing Apple is waiting for the fourth quarter, since they have their huge earner this quarter with the new iPods and all.

I can get this for free through my campus store using a department charge. I called today and they expect them the first week of November, which is I think the earliest anyone is going to see it since they don't ship until 10/26.

I don't get it. Are the features in this alot better than the Mac OS right now?

Because looking over the specs and all, it just looks like Mac Vista....really pretty but not really doing anything that impressive.

There actually are a lot of significant upgrades.

Spaces is good for partitioning your desktop if you are working on a lot of different projects at once. Time Machine automatically archives your system and saves it so you can recover deleted files years later.

There are a lot of other smaller bells and whistles. I, personally, am really looking forward to stacks because I hate clutter. It's not a complete new OS, just another variation of OSX, so the additions will be small but I really like some of the things they added.

Guest Vitamin X

Spaces=Virtual Desktops, and Time Machine=Windows Restore.

My comment earlier in this thread was indeed a bite on Mole's (incredibly ignorant and uninformed) opinion/comment in the Vista thread, however it's not that far off from the truth. It really isn't that much to get excited about. Still just some crappy, underpowered, simplified, overpriced OS with a hella good video editing program.