TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest nWoCHRISnWo

Pizza in NYC

Guest nWoCHRISnWo

Alright, a few friends and I from Edmonton arebasically going to Manhattan for 4 days just for the Ninja Turtles movie in late March and... To eat their pizza. Yes, to eat their pizza.

So help me out here. What are the pizza places in Manhattan (I'll be staying close to MSG specifically) that I just have to go to?

Guest Queen Leelee

If you wanted pizza that badly, you should have went to Western New York. Where there's a pizza place every block.

Alright, a few friends and I from Edmonton arebasically going to Manhattan for 4 days just for the Ninja Turtles movie in late March and... To eat their pizza. Yes, to eat their pizza.

So help me out here. What are the pizza places in Manhattan (I'll be staying close to MSG specifically) that I just have to go to?

Get on the subway and head over to Brooklyn if you want the really great stuff.

Guest Oedipus Rex
Or Chicago, where pizza is infinitely better.

Yes. I think I could only handle every one of my five pizzas being deep-dish, though. Keeps it special.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Weirdly enough, despite our closer proximity to Chicago, most of the local pizza places here are geared more towards St. Louis-type thin pizza.

I highly recommend Sbarros. That's where I go for my 'za in New York, New York. Or whenever I'm at a mall anywhere in North America.

Don't worry Venkman, I got the reference . . . hey, is that Tina Fey?

A lot of tourists make the mistake of getting pizza in Manhattan when they want to have the best stuff out there. Dont do it. You're going to get charged like $3.00 for a crappy slice. Like someone said before, you need to go to Brooklyn or even Queens for the GREAT stuff. Deninos in Staten Island is supposed to rank really high up there also. I havent been there but it's somewhat close to my house...maybe I should check it out.

If you're set on staying in Manhattan, try John's of Bleeker Street, in about the 400 area. They'll sell you a good pie and a pitcher of Sierra Nevada Pale ale for not too much money.

Don't go in there looking for slices, though. They don't sell them.

If you're set on staying in Manhattan, try John's of Bleeker Street, in about the 400 area. They'll sell you a good pie and a pitcher of Sierra Nevada Pale ale for not too much money.

Don't go in there looking for slices, though. They don't sell them.

I went there and to Lombardi's when I went on a similar Pizza in NYC trip with my ex. If you're on Bleeker you might as well find Mangnolia bakery and get some cupcakes to finish the tourist experience, cause if I remember correctly it's fairly close. Or I could be confusing it with the location of this Tex-Mex place we ate outdoors at...

By far my two favorites are Happy's Deli at Lafayette and Franklin in Chinatown (trust me), and Princess Pizza at 5th Ave. and 14th St. in Brooklyn (more notable for the best chicken parm sandwich, hands down, with a toasted hero roll, gobs of sauce, and melted mozz overflowing down the sides).

best i ever had was at arturo's on houston street, but i never ventured off manhattan. it's sort of a weird place though, they let people with their dogs in, and the tables are closer together than most places. a friend of mine told me she went there once, and this lady at a table next to her had a small dog that was sitting on the floor between them. my friend was able to ignore it until the dog jumped up and laid in her lap. rather than helping, the dog's owner just kind of gave an "aw, isn't that cute" look.

Guest MRK

For a regular New York slice, I like Mariella's on 71st & Lexington. If you're there on a good day, the slices are huge.

When I want something fancy, I go to John's Pizzaria on East 64th, near 1st Ave. Nice atmosphere and really good food.

I highly recommend Sbarros. That's where I go for my 'za in New York, New York. The city so nice they named it twice (Manhattan is the other name).

The funny thing about that, I was on an Office forum once, and in the episode thread someone had asked if that particular Sbarros would now get a spike in popularity. I responded "Uh, could you tell exactly WHERE that Sbarros was from the shot in the show?" Basically that was the joke. Michael went to a joint that is just as ubiquitos in Manhattan as Starbucks or McDonalds is.

BTW, anyone have any opinion of Famous Famiglia? They have a chain in New York and in the suburbs, and are also in Yankee Stadium now. Had it a couple of times, wasn't that impressed.

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad

I'm surprised there are multiple Sbarros in Manhattan. That's mall food court pizza.

Yeah, but it's not like it's bad pizza. Hell, even elementary school cafeteria pizza is sort of good. Obviously people are choosing to go there. It's not like Long John Silvers, where there's literally no one ever there and I have no idea how they're open or what the point is.

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad

I'm just surprised mediocre chain pizza can stay in business in New York. You'd think they'd ignore it completely. Tourists, I guess.

I'm just surprised mediocre chain pizza can stay in business in New York. You'd think they'd ignore it completely. Tourists, I guess.

I think its also the lack of too much of a wait at a place like Sbarros and they also offer other "popular" italian dishes (spagehtti & meatballs, lasagna, ect). Granted most places the wait isn't that long and you can get your order to go, but Sbarros is pretty much a McDonalds/conveyor belt type of store that is designed for a quick bite to eat.

Plus, yeah I think it is more of a tourist crowd, or those who failed to do what nwoChrisnwo did and ask around about choices. Generally you see a familliar name and you gravitate towards it.

From watching the Travel Channel nonstop I come to the conclusion that you need:

1. Old school coal brick oven

2. The restaurant must be named after someone like Ray, Gino, Patsy

2a. The words "Original" and "Famous" is optional