TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chuck Woolery

Re-Using Losing Matches

Opinion?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion on re-using losing matches?

• I have never re-used a losing match, and condemn people who do.
    • I have never re-used a losing match, but I don't condemn people who have.
    • I have re-used a losing match.

so?

by re-using losing matches, i mean using (and this is totally arbitrary) at least 500 words from a losing match--one that's not part of SWF canon--as part of a new match. what's your opinion?

I have re-used spots from losing matches, I have re-used commentary from losing matches and, if I find myself booked against the same wrestler in the future with a different marker, I have re-used entire losing matches wholesale.

I don't think that there's any shame in reusing spots, dialog , and other things from a losing match. I know I've done it before. I'd recommend not reusing a losing match, though, since it obviously lost for a reason, and also because things often change before you get a rematch with people.

I haven't done it often, I know that. However, I'd be lying if I said I'd never done it. Fuck it, I think I more often re-use spots I used in winning matches. Toxxic's armwringer legdrop/armwringer guillotine/springboard dropkick routine was staple throughout 2004.

I don't think that there's any shame in reusing spots, dialog , and other things from a losing match. I know I've done it before. I'd recommend not reusing a losing match, though, since it obviously lost for a reason,

At the risk of sounding too much like a prick, Judge, when I re-use matches, it is usually because I in dispute of whatever that reason was. If I thought that I wrote a perfectly good match, and I don't feel like I got good feedback from the marker, I'll re-use that match with a different marker just to see if it get a different result.

You know what's really messed up about that? I'll re-use a match without conscience, but whenever I want to put in a spot that I use over and over, I end up writing it from scratch half the time...

I've always been too insecure about my losing shit to reuse majority of it. Actually, all things considered, there's only a handful of spots that I've reused before.

I'm more curious who watches a match and then throws it straight into theirs?

I never re-used an entire match, although I think we've all recycled spots from previous matches. If you wanna resubmit a match that lost, go right ahead. But usually there's a reason it lost, so beware.

Not that I'd encourage anyone to follow my example, but I'm 2-1 on recycled matches.

I've always been too insecure about my losing shit to reuse majority of it. Actually, all things considered, there's only a handful of spots that I've reused before.

I do that all the time, but not so much with the current stuff; my writing style is heavily influenced by wrestling from the late-80s/early-90s, especially the commentary; Ventura is my favorite color man of all time, and I rip him off all the time... Hell, I'm thinking of Ventura whenever I write King, as that's how I've always imagined him on commentary.

I don't think that there's any shame in reusing spots, dialog , and other things from a losing match. I know I've done it before. I'd recommend not reusing a losing match, though, since it obviously lost for a reason, and also because things often change before you get a rematch with people.

Yeah.

That show in the Jedi Temple, I was booked against Taamo and lost. Must have been at least three matches after that with spots taken from the losing match, only because it took me that long for me to actually win. I wonder why?

I've never used an entire match as far as I can recall. Spots/excerts from matches though? Yeah, that I'll do from time to time. The trick is, making sure you change ALL the recipient's names.

Never used an entire old or losing match. In the beginning through my JL/early WF run I wrote everything brand new, but as moves started to get repetitive (since I had done so much writing) I substituted when appropiate after I spotted other people doing it. Normally I'll change the description slightly, but the hard part as Landon has mentioned is getting every name adjusted. I've messed up on that a couple times and I'm sure it takes the reader out of the match flow. So, sorry for that...

By the way, here's my official policy on this:

For fuck's sake, don't tell me you're reusing stuff. For example, don't get online and have the following conversation with me:

YOU: Mind if I reuse a match?

ME: ... if I don't notice, it's fine.

YOU: Think you'll notice if I reuse my losing match from July 2, 2006, against Cutthroat, where the main thrust was that I just couldn't manage to hit my finisher?

ME: AUGH

Never used an entire old or losing match. In the beginning through my JL/early WF run I wrote everything brand new, but as moves started to get repetitive (since I had done so much writing) I substituted when appropiate after I spotted other people doing it. Normally I'll change the description slightly, but the hard part as Landon has mentioned is getting every name adjusted. I've messed up on that a couple times and I'm sure it takes the reader out of the match flow. So, sorry for that...

If you use Microsoft Word, it's not hard at all; the only difficult part is if you use more than two or three nicknames to describe an opponent, and you can't remember what they all are. Other than that, just use the Find + Replace All function in Word.

See, even with the spots I've re-used I'll at least tweak with the wording (beyond replacing the names) if I'm really desperate but usually I'll try to stray from that too. It's not even that I have anything against it, really, it just never seemed like a great idea for me at the time. But. There's still one spot that I'll continually re-use until it wins, damn it... it's not that original, hell, I think it's the ending of Ultimo/Mysterio at WWIII, but I love writing it.

Akira/Zyon I was pretty much AJ Styles vs Paul London.

Man, fuck reusing losing matches, I know people who've reused winning matches before. With the exact same marker. Quite famously, Kibagami had something he called the "Ash Match." He had so much disdain for Ash that after he beat him the first time in his early SWF run, he reused the match three more times against him and pulled off three more victories. He also used it another time for another victory against a different opponent I don't remember, but I'm sure it was somebody he didn't like. That brings that match to a perfect 5-0 record.

I also remember one time TNT was too tired to write, so he had me throw in a few hundred words to his match. I ended up creating some sort of Frankenstein's Monster there, using one of my old matches with the same opponents to pad the wordcount. Of course, I forgot to edit out all the different names, so he lost, but still. I have no qualms against reusing matches. In fact, I'm disappointed Tom never reused his Mercury match.

-Z

It's bad. I have no reason.

Although writers should make sure WC is not using whole portions of previous matches of their's.

*raises hand*

Not full matches. I think I did that once over at OATTOAST with a match suspiciously similar to Bret/Perfect, KOTR 93. Can't remember ever doing it here though. At least not consciously. Taking spots from matches isn't any different from using a move in your moveset because you think it's k3wl, really.

I'm surprised how many people have re-used losing matches. I mean, I've been one of the laziest people here, but I'd rather no show than use a match that lost before. And I did.

If it wins some other time it doesn't mean anything, it just sounds lame to me.