TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

NHL Thread

Late, but Brodeur is the best goalie ever.

Hart:

Crosby/Thornton/Lidstrom

Vezina:

Brodeur/Luongo/Hasek

Norris:

Lidstrom/Pronger/Neidermayer

Unless you watch the Ducks play every single game, you can't say that one of the Ducks players needs to be taken out of the running. Because as someone that does, it's impossible.

Oh yeah, Jack Johnson's going to be a beast. He wanted to go with Matt Cooke, but Matt Cooke's a bitch.

Late, but Brodeur is the best goalie ever.

No. I'll grant that he's a great goalie, but he's not the best ever.

The Leafs' OT loss last night officially eliminated the Bruins from the playoff race.

How isn't he.

You can make the argument of it being the system, but they played that system because Brodeur was so good.

He does not lead in any of the following career stats:

Wins. Shutouts. Save Percentage. G.A.A. Stanley Cups won. Vezinas won.

Don't get me wrong, he's a legitimate top 5, but he's certainly not on the level of Roy or Sawchuk.

Hart: Crosby/Pronger/Lidstrom. Pronger has been huge for Anaheim this year on both ends of the ice, and I think he's the most valuable player on the Ducks behind Selanne.

Vezina: Brodeur/Luongo/Hasek. The fanboy in me wants to say Backstrom, but he's played half of the games any of these three have. I'd say Lundqvist, but the Rangers blow a lot of leads.

Norris: Lidstrom/Pronger/Brian Campbell. Niedermayer has 18 more points than Campbell, Campbell has +26 to Niedermayer's +8. I call it even.

Wins for sure. I haven't looked at the numbers for the rest in a while.

He's 8 shutouts behind Sawchuk. Let's call this one not a lock, but an extreme likelihood.

He's 75 wins behind Roy. Two more seasons of 35 wins seem fair. Check.

He's not touching Roy's 3 Smythes.

Roy and Brodeur have three Vezinas. Brodeur miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight make a run at Hasek's 6, but we can officially cross that one off if he doesn't beat Luongo this year.

Brodeur is not going to win the Hart trophy any time soon. Hasek has 2.

Roy has 4 Cups. Brodeur has 3. Let's say maybe tie, but probably not. And almost certainly will not beat.

I didn't realise he was so close on shutouts, I thought he still needed 20 or so. So, I'm going to semi-agree with you King, and place Brodeur at #3 for now (behind Roy and Sawchuk)....and I'll say wait and see.

And speaking of stat comparing, I'm in the midst of analysing everyone's pre-season picks, and will post and compare them between the end of the regular season and the start of the playoffs. (By the way, I might as well go to the bank and piss on a signed mortgage. My credibility is that damaged. I called for PHILAFUCKINGDELPHIA to WIN the Prince of Wales!) Do I have the wrongest pick? Find out Easter morning, probably 2 hours or so before the Masters begins.

I think Brodeur should rank highly among all-time goalies, but I don't think Wins is a good individual stat at least all by itself. The quality of the team apart from the goalie and even different era's (more games played, more opportunities to win games with the addition of OT and now Shootouts) are outside factors that have a big affect. Ed Belfour has more wins in his career than Terry Sawchuk but you will never convince me that Belfour is better than Sawchuk, as great as the Eagle was; likewise I will always see Patrick Roy and the much-hated Dominik Hasek as being better than Brodeur.

There's no denying that Brodeur is and has been a crucial component of the New Jersey Devils, but the trap system and their solid defensive work is a good help for a goaltender, generally shots and quality scoring chances against are lower than what the average team faces. I don't want to take anything away from his peripheral stats over the years, but the fact is he has never lead the league in save percentage, coming close in just one season: 1996-97 at .927, 2nd to Hasek's .930. Every other year he has good SVPCT's (relative to the era, like Roy led the NHL in years when scoring was much higher) but nothing that bowls me over. I think if he is the greatest goalie of all time, he ought to have great SVPCT's just like Hasek, considering the type of team in front of him, and he ought to have been voted the Vezina more often than he has.

He is definitely in the stratosphere of the top all-time goalies but no way do I see him as being above them all.

Wow. My opinion of Brodeur's Cup-winning predictions dropped pretty drastically in the last two hours.

???

Edited by Justice

And speaking of stat comparing, I'm in the midst of analysing everyone's pre-season picks, and will post and compare them between the end of the regular season and the start of the playoffs. (By the way, I might as well go to the bank and piss on a signed mortgage. My credibility is that damaged. I called for PHILAFUCKINGDELPHIA to WIN the Prince of Wales!) Do I have the wrongest pick? Find out Easter morning, probably 2 hours or so before the Masters begins.

I don't know if I ever posted mine at TSM but I remember having the Flyers in the playoffs, I think among the lower 4 seeds but I also felt that they had a decent chance of winning their division as well. Few people thought they were going to miss out on the postseason, and you'd be called crazy if you said Philly would suck so badly like they do now.

Guest Queen Leelee

Sabres score 5 in the 1st against the Islanders. Yeah, they're toast without DiPietro.

Wow. My opinion of Brodeur's Cup-winning predictions dropped pretty drastically in the last two hours.

???

I, too, would like to know what that's all about.

1. Who will win the Hart Trophy? Jaromir Jagr

2. Who will win the Vezina Trophy? Tomas Vokoun

3. Who will win the Calder Trophy? Anze Kopitar

4. Who will win the Art Ross Trophy? Joe Thornton

5. Who will win the Richard Trophy? Jonathan Cheechoo

6. What team had the best offseason? Nashville

7. What team had the worst offseason? Dallas

8. Which team will be the most improved over last year? Boston

9. Which team will be the biggest disappointment? Dallas

10. What was the best offseason move? Elias staying with the Devils

11. What was the worst offseason move? The whole Islander organization

12. Who will make the playoffs that didn't last year? Vancouver, Columbus, Minnesota, Boston, Florida

13. Who will not make the playoffs that did last year? Dallas, Colorado, Edmonton, Tampa Bay, New Jersey

14. Who would make your All-NHL first team? Thornton, Ovechkin, Iginla, Neidermayer, Lidstrom, Kipper in net.

15. Who will be the division winners? Calgary, Nashville, San Jose, Sabres, Rangers, Hurricanes

16. Eastern Conference Final: Rangers over Senators

17. Western Conference Final: Calgary over Nashville

18. Stanley Cup Final: Calgary over New York

19. Who will win the Conn Smythe Trophy? Miikka Kiprusoff

20. Make one bold prediction. Evgeni Malkin will not win the Calder.

Those were my predictions from earlier in the year.

Nothing I said was absolutely horrendous, but one could make the case that Malkin not winning the Calder was a call that never should have been made. But only if you don't care about Paul Stastny.

At least they'll make the playoffs.

Once they get in, seeding is of no matter. I'm not saying that I'm sticking to those predictions, but that the playoffs are unpredictable with the power play oriented officiating.

The Rangers looked good on paper. It's just guesswork.

???

I, too, would like to know what that's all about.

What I meant was, at 6 o clock I said Brodeur might overtake Roy for Cups won.

When I re-analyzed his career stats, mired in a debate with King an hour later, I said he probably wouldn't. It was mostly me kicking myself in the ass for second-guessing myself

The Panthers are only 4 back of 8th in the East now, they've won 5 in a row. They're doing what the Leafs did at the end of the season last year, but they're the Panthers so no one cares.

Surprising given his age and how bad he was last year. He's probably better than Raycroft at this point.

So Toronto has Pittsburgh, NYR, Philly, NYI and Montreal left. Montreal has Buffalo, Boston, NYR and Toronto. NYI has Ottawa, NYR, Toronto, Philly, NJ. Carolina has Florida, Tampa, Atlanta and Florida again. NYI is done without Dipietro and Carolina is playing like crap. They do have the easiest schedule though, so who knows. Toronto will get slaughtered by Pitts, which negates their game in hand over Montreal. I like them over NYR/Philly/NYI though. Montreal will probably get hammered by Buffalo and beat Boston and NYR. That would put Toronto 1 point up going into the last game of the season versus Montreal. Crazy. Rather than predict a winner I'll just say it better not end in a shootout, because Montreal has gotten enough freebie shootout points already. I think Toronto would actually have more points than Montreal right now if not for the cheap shootout points. So uh, abolish the shootout rule.

Guest Queen Leelee

The only negative with Toronto in the 8th spot, is they'd virtually have 7 home games. Buffalonians are cheap bastards that will sell tickets to Drunk Canucks.

Phew, Leafs pulled this one out of their asses it OT after giving the game back to the Pens and giving a fan at the game a heart attack, apparently. Tomorrow's their game in hand against Montreal, in New York, but as soon as they started playing well at home, they've forgotten how to play on the road.