TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampiro69

Critics angry about Book It program

Yahoo newswire

This is my opinion but I don't think that by rewarding the kids once a month with a small personal pan pizza is greatly contributing to the fattening of American children. This program helped many children actually get into reading and enjoy reading for the rest of their lives

While we're at it, we need to shut down all of the Ronald McDonald Houses because despite the fact they're housing those who need a good home, even if just for a little while, it's their constitutional right not to have a fast food restaurant's agenda pressed upon them.

I don't understand why someone who starts babbling about a personal pan pizza, tied to a reading program, contributing to obesity...doesn't immediately get punched in the face. I mean, why is this country full of so many people trying to save us from every little possible evil in the world? Get a fucking life already.

Maybe these are the kids who didn't read and hated all of us who were reading and getting free pizza all grown up. Clearly if you didn't benefit from the free stuff, you want the free stuff shut down and you'll have your bull reason for saying it. I mean one pizza a month? Heck, a good parent could make it so that was the only pizza their child eats around them that month. Then they learn the value of reading, working for something you want to achieve and they get their once a month junk food fix.

As someone who regularly bribes his students with Starbursts and Tootsie Rolls, I can't think of one bad thing about the Book It program.

As someone who regularly bribes his students with Starbursts and Tootsie Rolls, I can't think of one bad thing about the Book It program.

No snickers? You cheap bastard.

Pizza really isn't that bad for you, as long as you don't overload it with junk, or eat too much of it...lumping it in with all junk food isn't really fair anyway.

I could see getting behind the "corporate sponsorship" aspect of the deal. You can make an argument that product placement should not occur in public schools. They make a losing argument however when they try to link it with the junk food crowd.

Guest Oedipus Rex

I never did Book It when I was in elementary school. I didn't feel like it. There were better places to get pizza than Pizza Hut, anyway. That said, I don't think it's really a big problem in either regard: it's just a mini-pizza, and the product placement isn't as bad as some of those "Coke Awareness Day" things you'd read about in No Logo.

Schools are getting nailed left and right on the obesity thing, although I think its funny that schools were required to remove sodas from vending machines but allowed to replace them with sports drinks like gatorade that have almost the same amount of suigar in them as sodas.

and our school, it was for the cafeteria pizza so no one ever got excited over it...

Hell, my elementary school took the High Honor Roll kids to Chuck E. Cheese for a day for unlimited partying and eating.

It rocked. Not surprisingly, my grades kicked ass through that period.

Like it's been said, One 4-6 inch round pizza a month isn't making your kid fat.

Guest Oedipus Rex
Critics angry about Book It program, isn't there other things to worry about?

Yeah, verb proficiency among educators.

I never did Book It when I was in elementary school. I didn't feel like it. There were better places to get pizza than Pizza Hut, anyway. That said, I don't think it's really a big problem in either regard: it's just a mini-pizza, and the product placement isn't as bad as some of those "Coke Awareness Day" things you'd read about in No Logo.

1) I have never heard of Book It! before this. I feel like I missed out.

2) Come on Czech, you're a conservative. You should know that No Logo is a whiny bunch of crap, influential to Radiohead or not.

Ohhh, ouch. Like anyone actually gives a damn as to what you say. This thread was simply suppose to inform people about this issue. Not for you to be a JV level smart ass.

Guest Oedipus Rex

This thread was simply suppose to inform people about this issue.

Verb proficiency among educators?

Our local library had a summer reading program, which usually had a big pool party at the end of summer, as well as prizes. I remember one summer I read a ton, but ended up with some really lame prize (it was a "luck of the draw" type thing). It made me bitter...OK, not really, but I was screwed over.