TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

This week in the NBA

It's funny. I posted about them being on pace to win 70 cause it was just casually mentioned on ESPNews last night. Well, ESPN is running with it "The Run to 70" was at the top of their screen when talking about the next few games for Dallas. JINX'D

It would be the second most wins in a season ever. I don't see it happening though. Too many games against the West coming up to really run the table, plus they're liable to drop a few once they invaribly wrap up the 1 seed. I think 65-67 wins sounds about right for 'em.

its the michael Redd bucks, not that bucks team from earlier in the year. Bucks should take this one.

Regardless, it's not like it's an important game.

We probably would have lost anyway because Redd is a Laker killer.

Yeah, Kobe wouldn't have helped this team tonight. They totally lack all common sense. They should probably learn some of that before trying to learn more about basketball.

He swung his arm back trying to draw a foul and hit Jaric, almost exactly the same way he did it to Manu. Jaric said that Kobe shouldn't have been suspended and that it was an accident. I think they had to suspend him this time because they suspended him before, but was it worth a suspension in the first place? Fuck no.

Stu Jackson said Kobe will get more games if it happens again. He keeps calling it an unnatural basketball act, which is fucking retarded. What do these players do that is "natural". The people I feel the worst for are the people that come from bumfuck nowhere all the way down to Milwaukee to watch Kobe play, and then they find out that he's not there. I think that's fucked.

Its not retarded. Thats not what he does with his arms on his follow through.

What Kobe is doing is the same thing that Karl Malone did with his elbows when people reached in or Charles Barkley when he would destroy your soul for taking a charge, or Reggie Miller when he would kick you in the nuts for running at him. The thing is, Reggie got suspended a couple of times when it was obvious that he was aiming for the guy. Karl Malone was suspended when people did reach in and he hit them with the elbows. And Kobe is getting suspended for purposely hitting guys in the head for challenging his jumpshot. If you are honestly going to say that it makes perfect sense for him to change his complete follow through and just so happen to hit the guy that challenges his shot in the face, then...well...I don't know. You really are being a homer. I personally don't give a fuck what Jaric says, Kobe did that shit on purpose and this time it was pretty obvious.

That's what he's always done when trying to get foul calls. It's not his normal follow through, but whatever. If you don't believe me, buy some tapes or something. I watched an old tape I had of him during his rookie season today and he did that shit twice.

I just don't think that Kobe's tried to elbow people in the face every game with the SAME movement. The league's just trying to set an example, that's what I think. He did it to Devin Brown at the end of one game and got the foul call and the win off of it.

And if James Worthy says it's a stupid suspension, that's what it is. I value his opinion on the subject a lot more than pretty much any analyst out there, because all these other fools like Greg Anthony and Tim Legler never did shit in the league but get jumpshots rained on them all day long. If you want to suspend dudes for overreacting while trying to get foul calls, call it that and suspend Manu after every game. But not some bullshit "unnatural basketball act".

Pacers lose their seventh straight tonight against the Jazz, putting us only a game ahead of Orlando, who is in the eigth spot. I have faith that we'll bounce back from this, but knowing our luck, should we end up in the lottery, we'll get the 11th pick so that we still lose it to Atlanta.

Of course, being in the 7 spot would match us against Cleveland in the first round, which is probably the team I'd most want to play of the top four.

That's what he's always done when trying to get foul calls. It's not his normal follow through, but whatever. If you don't believe me, buy some tapes or something. I watched an old tape I had of him during his rookie season today and he did that shit twice.

I just don't think that Kobe's tried to elbow people in the face every game with the SAME movement. The league's just trying to set an example, that's what I think. He did it to Devin Brown at the end of one game and got the foul call and the win off of it.

And if James Worthy says it's a stupid suspension, that's what it is. I value his opinion on the subject a lot more than pretty much any analyst out there, because all these other fools like Greg Anthony and Tim Legler never did shit in the league but get jumpshots rained on them all day long. If you want to suspend dudes for overreacting while trying to get foul calls, call it that and suspend Manu after every game. But not some bullshit "unnatural basketball act".

Take your arm and put it out to the side with your palm facing forward. Now move your arm back another 12 inches. Now explain how you can naturally get your arm there on a follow through of a jump shot. When Manu's flopping involves swinging at a guys head, then okay, you have a point, but are you actually saying that he should feel free to give a guy a shot to the head if they block his shot and all that should be called is a offensive foul? Come on now. Lets be realistic. All you hear them rant about is how much control Kobe has of his body. Now all of a sudden he accidentally flails his arms at a guy.

But aside from all that, watch all your tapes and see this one thing. Watch Kobes arm after he makes contact. He has follow through. If you are just flailing your arms about, not expecting to hit anyone. He swung high and hard with the expectation of hitting someone. Maybe he didn't expect the results, but you can't swing at people on the court and think its cool.

The fact of the matter is he swung his arm all the way back behind his body with the intent of hitting someone. He hit them in the face. He fucked up. ANd if he does it again the suspension should be longer. Bruce Bowen stepping undershooters makes most of them worry about their landing and not their shot thus trying to make them miss their shot. Everyonce and a while, someone lands on his foot and sprains an ankle. Are you going to say its not a dirty play because Bruce didn't intend for them to get hurt, just to freak out and miss the shot? That is what I am saying. No body is out to get Kobe, he needs to stop taking shots at guys faces and he won't get suspended.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TA0tZLE2XaM

You can HONESTLY look at that and say there is nothing wierd about how he swung at these guys?

King is being a total homer. Kobe was being an asshole and the league is punishing him for it. It's a bush league move he's pulling in an effort to draw contact. He should have learned his lesson for the first time they suspended him. I'm just glad he hasn't seriously injured anyone yet.

Rip, the difference between Kobe's move and Bruce Bowen's is this. Bowen IS trying to hurt people and doesn't want to get caught. You and I both know that what he does is a classic dirty play. Kobe is not trying to hit a guy in the face. I don't know King, but I can tell you I have watched Kobe play 99% more than anyone else on this board. That move is what he does, usually unsuccessfully, when he flops and tries to draw a foul. He does it ALL THE TIME when he drives the lane. He has only recently started doing it on jumpers... it's only natural for the motion to hit a guy when he's closing out. Kudos to Jaric and excuse me if I don't put too much stock into Ginobili's reaction from a few weeks ago. Of course, Kobe did it on purpose, but it's also readily apparent that there was no malice involved... none.

Oh, and King, I like your use of "bumfuck nowhere"... can I use that?

Yeah, you can use it.

It's a bush league move he's pulling in an effort to draw contact. He should have learned his lesson for the first time they suspended him.

And I agree on that part. That's pretty much the line I've been towing since step one. It's not like he's going to hit dudes twice on purpose once he's already been suspended for it. I already said that it wasn't his normal follow through Rip, what more do you want from me. It's his follow through to try and get free throws. He's doing it on purpose, but he's not trying to hurt people on purpose.

Not to mention, he said the league hasn't even talked to him about it or tried to get in contact with him. The ref called him for a foul the last time, and when it happened with Manu, he didn't get anything. Does anyone else find that kinda funny?

I don't even think it's right to flop around and fake to get foul calls, so there. I'd like it if they suspended some other guys for doing it.

I don't even think it's right to flop around and fake to get foul calls, so there. I'd like it if they suspended some other guys for doing it.

I heard on the radio yesterday that they want to rid the league of all flopping, so you may get your wish.

Yeah, you can use it.

It's a bush league move he's pulling in an effort to draw contact. He should have learned his lesson for the first time they suspended him.

And I agree on that part. That's pretty much the line I've been towing since step one. It's not like he's going to hit dudes twice on purpose once he's already been suspended for it. I already said that it wasn't his normal follow through Rip, what more do you want from me. It's his follow through to try and get free throws. He's doing it on purpose, but he's not trying to hurt people on purpose.

Not to mention, he said the league hasn't even talked to him about it or tried to get in contact with him. The ref called him for a foul the last time, and when it happened with Manu, he didn't get anything. Does anyone else find that kinda funny?

First all the whining about suspending for flopping is ridiculous. Second, you keep pretending that making a unnatural basketball move is bullshit. If he had hit the guy in the side, he wouldn't get suspended. He hit guys in the head doing something that wasn't slightly natural. I don't understand what the argument is. Once again, I am asking, are you saying it should be a foul and done? You can't hit people in the face. Its sloppy, dangerous and unnecessary. This isn't setting an example. This is common sense.

I remember after the last time he got suspeded, Lebron james nearly took Dwayne Wades head off that next night on a foul, but didn't get suspended. ANd people bitched. But lebron was going towards the ball saw he didn't get it, reached for the foul and clotheslined the guy. But it was within the flow of basketball. Swinging your arms toward the head of a guy behind you after a jump shot isn't. Its that simple. Yes, he should be suspended everytime he catches someone in the head.

As for the flopping thing, I want to stress this again. Flopping is when no foul occured and the guy falls around like a idiot. Flopping is NOT going down when there is a legit offensive foul (like Shaq always complains about. He will take his forearm, push a guy in the throat, the guy exaggerates....its not a flop. You fouled him). Flopping doesn't really occur that much that they need a rule for it.

But the reason I don't want to see flopping rules is that some body trying to avoid a tech or a fine is going to cripple some guy. Mark my words and I mean it literally. Some guy not giving up his legs and falling back at the first sign of contact on a drive is litterally going to cripple the guy going for the shot. I don't want to see that happen.

Once again, I am asking, are you saying it should be a foul and done? You can't hit people in the face. Its sloppy, dangerous and unnecessary. This isn't setting an example. This is common sense.

The first time, it should have been a technical and done. 2nd, a suspension or fine. I just don't like seeing guys get suspended and finding out the league hasn't contacted the player. At least tell the dude why and how things will work out if it's done again. What's that going to take, 5 minutes? But I probably shouldn't be complaining, because Artest would have got 20 games for it.

As for the flopping thing, I want to stress this again. Flopping is when no foul occured and the guy falls around like a idiot.

I'm talking about what Manu does. So I think we're sort of on the same page here.

Manu plays basketball like its soccer, and I fucking hate it. Any contact he takes no matter how slight, he goes down like he was poleaxed. THAT warrants a tech, and in a way I hope they do it. Taking charges is one thing, I don't think that is going to be regulated. But all of these players (and yes I include my Pistons in on this) that make exaggerated motions at the slightest contact to try and draw whistles is getting to be too much.

At the same time I don;t want every little thing in the league to get regulated and it seems to me that that is what the league is trying to do.

if it'll make them stop, let them regulate the shit out of it. the league has a right to ensure that the game is being played as fairly as possible, and if the players won't regulate themselves & choose to use every possible shade of grey to their advantage, then they force the league's hand to make it a black-and-white issue. this isn't like players being called for a tech every time they get too excited about something, you don't flop because your emotions get the best of you. it's an exacting & calculated move, a deliberate perverting of what the rules are.

if flopping is rampant (which it is), then the players have made it clear that they can't be trusted to keep things fair & the only thing that will dictate what they do is whether or not they get called on it. so it's up to the league to call them on it. no player would be dumb enough to publicly bitch about it, cause what's dumber than bitching about a game that actually makes you play by the rules? and even if they do bitch about it, they would have no ground to stand on.

I don't believe that flopping is rampant. I do think there is a definate lack of calling the other offensive fouls that don't include bowling over guys (clearing space with your elbow, pushing off to get position, things of that nature) so the guys are pretending to get shot.

But like I said, risk versus reward here. Somone trying not to get T'd up for flopping WILL hurt someone else.