TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cbacon

would you consider classism an, oft ignored form of bigotry

explode.gif

Guest Eagle Man

Isn't classism just an umbrella term for everything you listed? I wouldn't say it's ignored, just not explicitly acknowledged as "classism."

FAKE EDIT: Never mind, I was thinking of rankism. Close, though!

Guest Vitamin X

I do think so, and I also think the concept of "ageism" is ridiculous.

Ever go into a store as a teenager (or thereabouts, or look young) and be stared down the entire time out of suspicion that all kids must be thieves?

Or rented a house/apt while in high school?

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I don't think it draws a bigoted comparison to say that most kids are less responsible/have less concept of their consequences than most adults.

It doesn't have to be outright bigotry. Just the segregation of types of people (in this case young/old) fits the mold. Most kids may very well be less responsible than most adults (though I think that is about as applicable as black people vs. white...most kids don't steal, and I would guess less so than people over 18) but the descrimination/segregation/bracketing/etc clearly exists.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Enough to where it becomes legally and socially consequential? I don't think so. Getting the stinkeye from a clerk doesn't prevent anyone from buying a big gulp. Your renting example doesn't hold water because a high schooler doesn't have any credit.

Yeah, heaven forbid a landlord want to protect their investment by refusing to rent out to an 18 year old with no credit history or references...

Yes, being young sucks. But you grow up, make money, get experience, and earn respect. That's life.

It depends on the circumstances. If the 18 year has a solid job history and references, than yes, I could see it. But if he's just some punk looking for his first job, then he probably isn't a good candidate for renting.

Frankly, I haven't known too many 18 years who rented right out of high school, anyway.

I rented as a high school senior.

So your own unique personal experience makes you think that all 18 year olds should be able to rent an apartment, no questions asked?

wtf?

Where did I say anything like that all? Unbelievable. If I think classism exists then must I also think every poor person should be given a million dollars or some other bullshit. Where do you come up with some of your nonsense, Invader? Seriously.

It was a struggle for me to get an apt as a high school senior. I had plenty of references, job history, income, and cash for security deposit & first 2 months rent...but it took alot of extra work and funny looks and insults. I certainly don't think ANYONE should be given a house/apt 'no questions asked' though I am quite confidant you'll find some way to assume that I do.

No, I guess I didn't phrase things correctly. I'm really not trying to be over-combative here. I think I understand where you're coming from.

Ultimately though, I think it's just a fact of society that young people have it a little rough. I mean, I was pretty miserable at 18 compared to how I am almost ten years later.

Guest Eagle Man
Ever noticed how everyone I argue with on this board is 24 years old and younger?

That explains a lot.

It explains how you can't win arguments with 24-year-olds, I guess.

No, I guess I didn't phrase things correctly. I'm really not trying to be over-combative here. I think I understand where you're coming from.

Ultimately though, I think it's just a fact of society that young people have it a little rough. I mean, I was pretty miserable at 18 compared to how I am almost ten years later.

Ok, since you seem to admit that there is at least some form of ageism that exists, shouldn't we be more conscious about this sort of thing in the same way we should with racism and sexism? Or should we just shrug our shoulders and accept it because 'that's the way it is'?