TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cbacon

would you consider classism an, oft ignored form of bigotry

Ok, since you seem to admit that there is at least some form of ageism that exists, shouldn't we be more conscious about this sort of thing in the same way we should with racism and sexism?

I don't think so, because there are logical reasons that children have less authority and are treated somewhat differently than adults, many of them raised by Special K.

There weren't really any logical reasons to deny negroes or women the right to vote, keep them out of positions of power, etc.

I agree with that. It should be acknowledged that 'ageism' exists but it is something that is actually warranted. No, not all kids are 'punks' but it is fair enough (though plenty annoying at the time) to be held to a higher standard if we choose to rent/etc at a younger age.

Sure was a fun senior year, though!

I would honestly much rather have the benefits of being a kid (primarily the complete & utter lack of responsibilities) than the negatives (not being able to rent, for example). Basically, I hate being an adult.

Guest Vitamin X

Also, ageism is generally referred to prejudice against senior citizens, not against young people. I think people acknowledge in general WHY kids are treated differently; old people are casually dismissed and often times feel that they are being discriminated against when attempting to find a job or doing various other things. Of course, I don't believe in it, since the reasons why they may be discriminated against (ol' grandpa can't walk 50 fucking feet without taking a breather, and you can forget about asking him to lift a box and take it to the backroom) is not really discrimination, but just simply not being able to perform the tasks required of them.

Also, I got my first apartment at a relatively young age, with bad/checkered credit history and not a very reliable source of income, but it just depends on how/when you rent, and often times you'll just find a good landlord who'll approve you. I mean, it's not like it's difficult to get approved without rental history for a cheap, decent, starter place.

Of course, I don't believe in it, since the reasons why they may be discriminated against (ol' grandpa can't walk 50 fucking feet without taking a breather, and you can forget about asking him to lift a box and take it to the backroom) is not really discrimination, but just simply not being able to perform the tasks required of them.

Here, here. Senior citizens do not have the capabilities of others. Again, that does not mean 'better' or 'worse'. It means we should be able to take care of our senior citizens, in the richest country on earth. Acknowledging realities can actually be a boon, we can and should take care of seniors.

In collectivist societies, ageism doesn't exist. Old people are revered for their wisdom and considered assets to society still. In these nations (which are mostly east Asian, off the top of my head), older people actually end up being in much better shape and still legitimately sharp in mind as well. Old people in this nation and others like it, individualist societies, are practically dismissed and expect to become retards who shit themselves and argue with people over ten cents. They're seen as a burden. They suffer physically and mentally and fulfill the extremely low expectations of their society.

There are huge differences regarding ageism towards youth, but I don't want to become too invested in a thread about classism.

In collectivist societies, ageism doesn't exist. Old people are revered for their wisdom and considered assets to society still. In these nations (which are mostly east Asian, off the top of my head), older people actually end up being in much better shape and still legitimately sharp in mind as well. Old people in this nation and others like it, individualist societies, are practically dismissed and expect to become retards who shit themselves and argue with people over ten cents. They're seen as a burden. They suffer physically and mentally and fulfill the extremely low expectations of their society.

A very good point. being isolated and neglected can have a huge effect on the psyche and, I would think, the mind. Thankfully, my grandma has always had a huge family of support. I pray I am able to somehow support my parents when they become elderly.

That's the genuine form of ageism, neglecting your elders.

No, I guess I didn't phrase things correctly. I'm really not trying to be over-combative here. I think I understand where you're coming from.

Ultimately though, I think it's just a fact of society that young people have it a little rough. I mean, I was pretty miserable at 18 compared to how I am almost ten years later.

Ok, since you seem to admit that there is at least some form of ageism that exists, shouldn't we be more conscious about this sort of thing in the same way we should with racism and sexism? Or should we just shrug our shoulders and accept it because 'that's the way it is'?

The same way as racism and sexism? Lets see...two of which have lead to rape, murder, denial of fundamental rights to have a equal chances at advancement, unfair pay wages, verbal and physical harrassment. The other makes people look at you funny in the store. Which happens with the other two also.

No, they shouldn't be looked at in the same way because who gives a crap about "ageism". No it isn't harder to get apartment at 18. If you have a job, credit and make 3 times the rent, they will rent to you. The likelihood of your 18 year old ass having three times the rent and credit history is slim, but hey, thems the breaks. If you are 30 with no credit history and don't make 3 times the rent, its going to be tough on you to get an apartment too.

Ageism, I just don't think actually exist.

Ever noticed how everyone I argue with on this board is 24 years old and younger?

That explains a lot.

It explains how you can't win arguments with 24-year-olds, I guess.

Does anyone ever really "win" an internet argument?