TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

OAO Destination X PPV Thread

To shed some light, the recent Observer said that the TNA booking team were apparently upset with Joe's remarks at an ROH show about tripping over some bad booking, so his job to Tomko and getting laid out three times were their revenge. It was also hinted that he might not now get the NWA Title either.

Hey stop being so tough you guys, if you don't like TNA you're not a real wrestling fan!

Oops, sorry just got possessed by the spirit of the posters on this board circa 5 months ago.

Where are those people now?

TNA's evolution into late-era WCW originally struck me as positive.

Now I'm remembering why I hated late-era WCW.

So how long until Russo strips all the NWA titles and cancels Impact for a week to restructure the booking?

Strummer and Hawk 34, you both really shouldn't be talking.

They put Christopher Daniels back in the X divison? The way they were building it up, I thought he was going to start going after the NWA title. Was I the only one who thought that?

There's really no words to explain the fall from how much potential TNA once showed, and to where they are now.

Bad booking, not enough match time, lame storylines, no focus to the shows...etc, etc.

When your main fanbase, the one that attends EVERY SHOW starts chanting for you to fire your booker then perhaps, just maybe...You should fire your booker.

But, in all honesty, it's not all Russo's fault. Management demands the shows have no focus whatsoever with fifty thousand wrestlers on screen. It's just about 99% his fault.

Give or take one percentage.

When your main fanbase, the one that attends EVERY SHOW starts chanting for you to fire your booker then perhaps, just maybe...You should fire your booker.

Well, they're also the ones that got Lance Hoyt that major push. Though they also did throw trash at Jarrett...curse you Orlando how I hate you so!

Strummer and Hawk 34, you both really shouldn't be talking.

They put Christopher Daniels back in the X divison? The way they were building it up, I thought he was going to start going after the NWA title. Was I the only one who thought that?

???

Um, there were actual posters on this board who were saying stuff like that. It was before Angle/Joe 1. Those people seem to have disappeared

With each passing month, the traffic in the TNA PPV threads falls to even lower levels. You usually get someone giving semi-ongoing commentary of the PPV's, but even that isn't happening for what is likely to be a PPV that'll get in the range of 20,000 buys.

Why aren't the people who speak so highly of Impact in here talking about the PPV? Surely such compelling TV should have made them want to put down the money for this PPV?

This show looked pretty good, except for the usual crap like VKM and co., I guess. Christian is a man who can carry a show as the champ. I don't care about Joe.

What is really the point of blabbing on and on here about how poorly the company is doing? I don't buy PPVs, but that has nothing to do with how much I like the product.

I wasn't on here writing about it because we were watching it. Overall I liked what I saw. The Styles and Rhino match was much better than what I expected. I'm tired of the VKM stuff but I'm not the type that likes any kind of shoot or smart comments put into angles. Joe should know better to piss off bookers, he's been in it long enough. Just because he's the net's darling doesn't mean he's the darling of the everyday fan they're trying to hook. And yeah, he's a talent so no reason to start bitching to me. The Orlando crowd just likes to jerk each other off basically, wow we read the internet, we're damn smart. Right now I'm liking TNA and WWE about equal, I'm waiting to see if WWE falls off after Wrestlemania.

I'm on the verge of totally giving up on TNA until they fire Vince Russo once and for all. I've already went from never reading the spoilers and watching the TV live when it airs, to watching the shows by downloading them, to reading the spoilers, to almost totally not even reading the spoilers, to just downloading the PPVs and allowing the video packages to catch me up on everything that's going on. Yeah, the next step is to just flat out not give a shit at all. I don't want to get to that point, but it's on the verge of happening.

The only two things I liked about the PPV was that I got to see Muta, and Christian is actually being pushed (but since that one makes Joe look like a douche, I don't guess it's that great of a thing in the end).

Did people really expect Joe to win?

I figured they'd hold off his title win untill Slammiversary.

Which befs the question, why put him into a 1 on 1 title match already?

The rest of the event sounded as predicatble as possible, but i thought they were meant to do something with NWA splitting from them?

EDIT:

Thanks to Brian Frederick for sending the following report:

I just got back from TNA's Destination X and thought I'd send some live thoughts.

First off this was the first event I've attended for TNA in about 6 months. The ticket/entry situation is still somewhat jumbled and chaotic, but vastly improved from my last visit.

The "Black and Blue Carpet" idea was fairly lame for a preshow. I am definitely of the camp that enjoys a warm up match or two and none of the segments seemed to hit home, with the exception of The Great Muta showing up since a lot of us didn't get that spoiler ahead of time. Sadly my friend asked who "the Great Buddha" was.

I missed the Eric Young/Roode segment while waiting in line for refreshments. Was cute to note that Jim Cornette's "Office" we see on Impact is a small make shift cubicle behind the souvenir stand.

The crowd was hot for the 3D/Lax brawls and popped huge for all the big spots. Most people near me couldn't figure out Alex Shelley's interference.

The bull-rope match was there, the crowd loved the women going at it, any attempt at the Canadian Destroyer, and being all over Storm. Glad there was no appearance from Chris Harris.

Senshi/Starr came off REALLY well and I know they impressed a lot of the folks around me who weren't that familiar with them. Oh and Backlund gets one of the biggest pops of the night.

The crowd didn't really seem to know what to do during VKM and the Heart-breakers except totally HATE the former Throbs. Don't know if it was good heat or more "X Pac" heat.

Major controversy broke out during the X Division match, not sure how it came off on TV but a brawl broke out in the main Pit seating area and all the fans rushed to it just like when the boys fight in the crowd. TNA security, Orlando PD and a few on-lookers kind of broke it up and removed a few un-ruly parties from the arena. However one man protested and started a fight back up again prompting Don Harris to apply a rear naked choke to the man that I swear would kill a gorilla. This is when the TNA chant started in the crowd. It was really something else to see and I hope it didn't take away from the match on TV.

Everyone was totally into the Elevation X match and totally scared one of them would get hurt. The crowd popped for just about everything here and loved how they played the match out.

Then the trouble hit. Angle/Steiner came off as looking really bad and the crowd wasn't into it. But it was nothing like the Abyss/Sting match. We totally hated it. While they set up the props a "this is stupid" chant broke out. And I know the fire Russo chant made it on TV.

Luckily Joe/Christian woke everyone back up. Everyone totally into it, with most of the crowd completely into Joe, but definitely Christian supporters as well. The match had a "big match feel" to it and the crowd popped for all the near falls and were quite surprised by the finish.

After they went off the air, they teased a bit where Rudy Charles was going to restart the match but didn't and Joe and the champ got into another brawl leading to Christian tapping to the Kokina clutch.

Overall probably the best TNA event I've seen live and way worth the effort it took to get in.

You get a couple of matches that are so-so or the crowd doesn't like, but they like five or six and everything goes over well in them, what is the problem? Oh, Samoa Joe didn't get the treatment the net fans think he deserves. It automatically has to suck then. And Don Harris isn't somebody I'd want to ever mess with, forget about what you have seen from him in the ring in matches.

They destroyed their chance to make a "homegrown" non former WWE maineventer. That's alot more than just bitching the net fave didn't win. It's a horrible company move and why they are in the situation they are.

Some people on here got on my case when I ranted and raved about them jobbing Joe to Tomko a couple of weeks ago. Now they job him in his big title match. Nevermind all the goofy Russo finishes that this PPV had, but let's consider a few things:

1. Samoa Joe is someone that the fans have been taught is this near invincible bad ass. Him losing some to Angle was questionable but they had to establish Angle, so we'll let that go.

2. Joe jobs to TYSON TOMKO, a 3rd rate wrestler who was a total jobber in WWE and while on Raw was one of the single worst wrestlers I had ever seen.

3. Joe vows revenge and plans to beat Christian at the PPV and win the title. The match itself is treated like an afterthought and plays 3rd fiddle to Angle/Steiner and the goofy Sting/Abyss feud.

4. Joe jobs at the PPV anyway, which is his first 1 on 1 title opportunity.

When did Samoa Joe turn into Rob Van Dam circa 2001-2003? That booking strikes me as either he's getting buried for no real good reason or that Russo is simply a moron. They had something with Joe, they really did. A guy that fans had no real prior perception of as being a JTTS or a jobber. A guy that fans bought from the get go as a legit unbeatable champion type wrestler because he was presented as such. Here is a newsflash: Christian is not someone that a lot of fans take seriously as a world champion. I even like the guy and enjoy most of his work, but it's idiocy to have him going over Angle and Joe, guys he can't possibly beat. Christian at best should be a stop gap transition guy until they give Joe the ball to run with it and let him have a dominant run. TNA desperately needs a dominant face run with the title.

For the most part people are hitting the nail on the head. Joe shouldn't just have won the belt last night, he should've been champion back in the late fall/early winter, and the buildup to a FIRST Joe-Angle match for Slammiversary should be on right now. I've said it before, I'll say it again: this company frustrates me. Things were looking headed in the right direction half-a-year ago, so why did someone think it would be a good idea to bring in a notoriously awful booker?

Things I would have done differently last year, leading up to now:

- Christian goes over in King of the Mountain, but does so through nefarious means to plant the seeds of a heel turn.

- Sting bounces Jarrett in the summer rather than at BFG. A jealous Cage wants Sting out of the picture now that Jarrett's out.

- Christian feuds with Sting in late summer/early fall, going over.

- Christian ducks Joe.

- Joe destorys Christian at BFG to win the belt.

- Joe is still champion today with defenses against Abyss, Sting, Christian, maybe Rhino or AJ for good measure.

- Angle faces anyone BUT Joe, with the build to a one-on-one come Slammiversary.

Would have worked, but you have to do a king of the mountain match at Slammiversary.

TNA is now doing what WWE does - when they want to punish a wrestler they punish the fans as well.

If a guy mouths off or is bad backstage or whatever fine him, give him a stern talking to, etc. But don't job him out and in so doing tank all the excitement you company had built. It's just bad business. You see angles come and go, a push suddenly aborted for no reason, just because something happened backstage - it doesn't make any sense. To the fans it just kils excitement and comes off as a shitty product.

All this build up of Joe turned out to be for nothing. What a joke.

It's one thing when the WWE does it, they have other people to rely on. Even if a mainevent act gets heat backstage they don't get jobbed out......take Batista for example.

What TNA is doing isn't what the WWE does it's far dumber......you only get jobbed for doing stupid shit in the WWE if you are a midcard guy who isn't relied upon to make money.

Am I the only one who thought the Christian went over Joe was pretty good? I mean, If they had to let them go one on one that was the best way to do it.

The elevation x match was surprisingly entertaining when you consider nothing basically happened.

People don't understand basic booking. You have a guy you want to build into The Man for your company. So you put him over strong against people and when he finally gets the title shot, he needs to WIN the match. I'd have Christian dodge Joe, maybe get DQed or something, but the more you stall on the title win, the less heat the guy will have.

Imagine this scenario: Vince McMahon signs Hulk Hogan away from the AWA in Dec. 1983. His first month in the company he books Hogan to have a screwy loss to Nickolai Volkoff and then builds to a title match with the Iron Shiek. Shiek kicks out of the boot/leg combo and retains the belt. Would the WWF have been as huge as it was back in the 1980s had something this idiotic happened?

Joe is not the type of guy to do the "chase the title" angle with. He's the dominant sort of guy who simply wins the belt when he gets the chance. Some guys like Austin work when they chase the belt, but Austin was more of the blue collar type who had struggled and rallied support, that type of thing.