TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

UFC 69: Shootout

Main Card

Welterweight Title Fight:

Georges St. Pierre (13-1-0) vs. Matt Serra (15-4-0)

Lightweight Fight:

Roger Huerta (18-1-1) vs. Leonard Garcia (13-1-0)

Welterweight Fight:

Diego Sanchez (19-0-0) vs. Josh Koscheck (10-1-0)

Middleweight Fight:

Yushin Okami (20-3-0) vs. Mike Swick (10-1-0)

Middleweight Fight:

Alan Belcher (9-2-0) vs. Kendall Grove (9-3-0)

Undercard

Heavyweight Fight:

Brad Imes (6-2-0) vs. Heath Herring (26-12-1)

Middleweight Fight:

Thales Leites (9-1-0) vs. Pete Sell (7-3-0)

Welterweight Fight:

Marcus Davis (15-4-0) vs. Pete Spratt (16-7-0)

Welterweight Fight

Josh Haynes (9-6-0) vs. Luke Cummo (7-4-0)

http://69.ufc.com/

This is a great card, maybe one of my favourites in a while. Which means it has the potential to suck, as is the case in a sport where it seems to be the worse the card is, the better it turns out, and vice versa.

I am really excited for Okami/Swick and Belcher/Grove in particular. Belchers fight against Santiago was awesome, and Belcher is definitely a prospect with a great gas tank from what I've seen and he's very aggressive, and Kendall is game to bring it as well, which means these guys could have the FOTN in a night where there are a few candidates for a FOTN.

Okami/Swick is a number one contenders bout, as far as I'm concerned, assuming Silva vs. Marquardt is on. Okami looked great against Kalib Starnes, and Swick has been on a roll. It will be interesting to see Swick against a GnP guy like Okami, though Okami had a real hard time taking down Silva when they fought and Swick has a similar circling style. Seeing these two guys fight will make me wish Tanner hadn't gone nuts, as I think Tanner vs. either would be a great one.

Sanchez vs. Koscheck is one of the biggest, ballsiest fights the UFC has had in a while. Their first fight was one of TUFs best, out of all the seasons, and they are so much better now. This one will probably go the distance, like Diegos fights vs. Diaz and Karo, and like those fights, this will probably be fast paced, back and forth, and be a FOTYC. Odds are, winner gets St. Pierre or Hughes.

GSP vs. Serra is. Well. I imagine it will be an entertaining fight.

The Undercard is pretty bad, though, filled with TUF rejects and is pretty inconsequential, especially compared to the main card. But, then again, odds are it will be pretty darn fun to watch.

All this coupled with the first UFC show in Texas and knowing that the crowd will be nuts, it should be an awesome show to watch.

Would that be so wrong?

Diego vs. Santiago was on TFN today. It was good. Diego worked. Wait for it. Wait. Wait for it.

THE RUBBER GUARD

Briefly.

Diego was actually pretty good off his back, which was odd cause I am accustomed to Diego being more on top given his recent fights. So I don't think this fight will be Koscheck using his wrestling to keep Diego down for the decision. I'm calling it. Diego via Gogoplata.

Diego is very aggressive off of his back though, and actually has a really good guard. ADCC is proof of this. Although that's not MMA grappling, the guy has proven himself to be tough as nails with a relentless pitbull style so he's not gonna get phased when put on his back. In their first fight he got put on his back the whole time but kept working. Against Karo when he got put down he had great movement and took Karo's back even. Fuck all the haters, Diego is awesome.

But Koscheck is awesomer. His performances against Chalangov and Goulet should not be overlooked as he steamrolled the both of them. He survived the guard of someone who is just below Diego in terms of grappling ability in Joslin. He didn't look so hot on the feet, but Diego is not that great on the feet either. I'd say if he doesn't gas, which he shouldn't, he should prove himself to win a decision. I'm going on a limb here, but I have this about 51-49 Koscheck, pulling stats out of my ass as I am.

I'd be interested in seeing Leites kill Sell on the broadcast. All the fights on the main card are compelling save the main event I think. Most of Sherdog is ripping this yet loving 70 and I feel the opposite. I don't know why I still visit the damn place at all.

Belcher isn't as good as Kalib, so again I will go on a limb and say that Grove should be able to take him out considering how much he's improved since TUF 3 has aired.

Hey, I'm not saying Kalib isn't talented, but when compared to Belcher, Alan has already proven his gameness and some stand-up to be superior to Starnes'.

Diego is very aggressive off of his back though, and actually has a really good guard. ADCC is proof of this. Although that's not MMA grappling, the guy has proven himself to be tough as nails with a relentless pitbull style so he's not gonna get phased when put on his back. In their first fight he got put on his back the whole time but kept working. Against Karo when he got put down he had great movement and took Karo's back even. Fuck all the haters, Diego is awesome.

But Koscheck is awesomer. His performances against Chalangov and Goulet should not be overlooked as he steamrolled the both of them. He survived the guard of someone who is just below Diego in terms of grappling ability in Joslin. He didn't look so hot on the feet, but Diego is not that great on the feet either. I'd say if he doesn't gas, which he shouldn't, he should prove himself to win a decision. I'm going on a limb here, but I have this about 51-49 Koscheck, pulling stats out of my ass as I am.

I'd be interested in seeing Leites kill Sell on the broadcast. All the fights on the main card are compelling save the main event I think. Most of Sherdog is ripping this yet loving 70 and I feel the opposite. I don't know why I still visit the damn place at all.

Belcher isn't as good as Kalib, so again I will go on a limb and say that Grove should be able to take him out considering how much he's improved since TUF 3 has aired.

Josh Koscheck's stand up didn't look good against Jeff Joslin, because Joslin is arguably the best striker at 170. Anyone who thought Koscheck was going to beat Joslin standing up, should be shot in the head. Infact I think Joslin is a horrible match up for Diego Sanchez because Sanchez doesn't have the takedowns like Koscheck does, and Joslin has a great sprawl.

I think Koscheck is going to beat Diego Sanchez by a close but clear desicion.

Belcher is going to beat the shit out of Kendall Grove, mark my words.

No way is Joslin arguably the best striker at 170. GSP is better than him, as is BJ Penn if you include him. Duane Ludwig is at 170, and while he has a bad KO loss to Morgan I still say that doesn't change the fact that he's a world class striker.

I think you're selling Diego a little short here, as I think he has arguably better MMA jiu jitsu than you think. First of all he's proven in No Gi judging by his ADCC performances, and also the guy has not been outgrappled by anybody in MMA really, including against guys like Diaz and Karo. His striking is obviously improving, as shown with the KO against a much larger Riggs.

No way is Joslin arguably the best striker at 170. GSP is better than him, as is BJ Penn if you include him. Duane Ludwig is at 170, and while he has a bad KO loss to Morgan I still say that doesn't change the fact that he's a world class striker.

I think you're selling Diego a little short here, as I think he has arguably better MMA jiu jitsu than you think. First of all he's proven in No Gi judging by his ADCC performances, and also the guy has not been outgrappled by anybody in MMA really, including against guys like Diaz and Karo. His striking is obviously improving, as shown with the KO against a much larger Riggs.

Dude, Joslin is a much more techncial and pure striker then GSP, I figured you would know that. Yes GSP is a better overall MMA fighter then Joslin, but as far as pure striking? Ain't no one fuckin with Joslin at 170, aside from Ludwig.

I ain't selling Diego short at all, infact I've always usually defended him when people were ragging on him. I always knew Sanchez is an elite fighter at 170, I just feel Koscheck is better, not a knock on Diego at all. It won't suprise me if Diego wins the fight, it's going to be a close fight either way, but I see Koscheck winning it.

Heh, I don't know why I brought up the Sanchez thing because I think Koscheck is going to win too, I think I might have been responding to someone else with that.

I haven't seen much of Joslin but from what I have I don't see him as being more technical. GSP overall is more well rounded I think. His boxing is very smooth (10-0 Amateur record as well as sparring on a regular basis with some of the best in the nation) plus he has great low kicks, I guess from his Karate background (which Joslin also has). His punches are very tight and crisp, and his athleticism helps as well. I will watch more Joslin and get back to you on that.

I do know that BJ Penn tooled GSP on the feet though. He just slipped by his punches and mashed up his face. I have to see that fight again because I want to see how Georges would have won. I can't find a link, if someone could provide one that would be awesome.

Heh, I don't know why I brought up the Sanchez thing because I think Koscheck is going to win too, I think I might have been responding to someone else with that.

I haven't seen much of Joslin but from what I have I don't see him as being more technical. GSP overall is more well rounded I think. His boxing is very smooth (10-0 Amateur record as well as sparring on a regular basis with some of the best in the nation) plus he has great low kicks, I guess from his Karate background (which Joslin also has). His punches are very tight and crisp, and his athleticism helps as well. I will watch more Joslin and get back to you on that.

I do know that BJ Penn tooled GSP on the feet though. He just slipped by his punches and mashed up his face. I have to see that fight again because I want to see how Georges would have won. I can't find a link, if someone could provide one that would be awesome.

Yeah I feel you, I once thought GSP was a much better striker then Joslin due to not seeing alot of Joslin, but I've watched alot of Joslin's fights since then and I can safely say that he is a better pure striker then GSP. While GSP can be considered a really good striker, there are still area's he can improve in as displayed in the BJ Penn fight you already mentioned. In an MMA fight GSP would pounded the living piss out of Joslin, but in a kickboxing match, Joslin would take it.

GSP won the fight against Penn because he was able to takedown Penn and pound him on the ground in the 2nd half of the fight.

When you're training for a fight that important it's considered the same thing. GSP's leg kicks are severely underrated in that fight as well, he was connecting hard with them every time and it kept Penn at bay in the second and third rounds.

When you're training for a fight that important it's considered the same thing. GSP's leg kicks are severely underrated in that fight as well, he was connecting hard with them every time and it kept Penn at bay in the second and third rounds.

I don't think so. Gassing and giving up are two different things in a fight. BJ never really gave up in the fight. Giving up is quiting on the stool, or asking the ref to stop it. Saying a fighter gave up when he actually gassed is an insult to fighter, that's just how I view things, I can see how others would be objective though, because not training on your cardio is basically giving up.

I can find a copy of the dvd to d/l online, I guess I Might have to take that route, I'd just prefer to watch that fight right now. It's a great card regardless so I wouldn't mind.

I guess I'll have to settle for watching Gomi get his ass whooped by BJ, another link that I was looking for that I did find.

BJ didn't "beat" GSP standing with technical striking, he did it with pressure and a willingness to mix it up and brawl. GSP has few weaknesses, but that's one of them. The dude isn't a brawler, he is much more a pick-his-shots kinda guy who stays on the outside and works angles and all that jazz. However, the first round was a lot closer than it generally is regarded as being. GSP landed some good shots on Penn despite showing more damage.