TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

UFC 69: Shootout

vargotsky.jpg

This guy? He's actually pretty cool, nice guy. Though I don't train with him personally, so I can imagine that if I were to do so my opinion of him would change drastically. He's the head of Tristar and the guy that you see in GSP's corner from time to time. At first I thought you meant Victor Zilbermann. He's a bit nutso too, apparently if you're not looking at him in the eyes while he's explaining something he will react physically.

They need to update that website though, in this day and age you should take advantage of all technological opportunities you can get. We have more than one amateur fighter, we have like 20 at least. I think like 5 or 6 alone are fighting next Saturday on the 14th (cheap plug, only twenty bucks to come). It's gonna be better than this UFC card, I can promise you that.

So, it's today. And for the first time in......I dunno.......a while, I shouldn't be nervous about GSP fighting. But I still am. Until I see Yoda dead on the mat, I'll be freaking out.

And good gravy Diego/Koscheck is going to blow the roof off the bar tonight.

The Countdown show, almost coming right out and saying so, portrayed Serra as having no realistic chance at winning. Which is accurate, because GSP is as close to a lock to win as you can get in any fight, and unless fortune is on his side, Serra is walking out of UFC 69 a broken man.

I really want to see Diego humble Koscheck and tap him out in less than thirty seconds.

Yeah, the amount of people saying that their first fight was "close" is fucking ridiculous. People who say that need to actually step back and watch the fight. Or, better yet, look at the fighters at the end of it and try and tell me that it was anything resembling a close fight.

I'm actually kinda worried that this fight could self-destruct and become almost a carbon copy of Diego's fight against John Allessio. In that fight Diego was constantly trying to take Allesio down and more often then not wasn't successful and when he did get him down he couldn't do much with it. Diego took the decison but the crowd shit all over him and I can very much see the same thing happening here. I don't think Diego can stop Koscheck's takedowns but I can see his guard keeping Josh close and forcing stand-up after stand-up. But that will be enough for Koscheck to take the fight and if he wins that way the crowd will likely react in the same way.

I'm picking Diego based on the following.....

1) Koscheck hasn't fought a guy who will push the pace like Diego will and I can see Josh gassing

2) Diego is great off his back and even better at scrambling out of the bad positions Josh will most likely put him in

3) In the Joslin fight Koscheck almost got caught with a triangle and I can see Diego winning in similar fashion

4) While I won't go as far as to say his chin is weak, Koscheck has shown an unwillingness to strike with people and doesn't have good composure when it comes to striking, which is to say that if Diego hits him with a good shot, he'll show it and Diego will capitalize.

Having said that, if Koscheck decides to welch on the whole "I'm not a blanket, I'll finish him" thingy, K-os wins this handily.

That was...huh? Oh my god, Matt Serra? Zuh? Matt Hughes is like...the second happiest man on Earth, next to Serra, right now. Oh my...damn. The show was actually really good. Okami/Swick was a great fight. Gonzalez/Huerta brought all kinds of awesome. Koschek/Diego sucked all kinds of ass. And then...Matt Serra? Zuh? That's absofuckinglutely ridiciulous! Oh, and I was glad to see the knowledgable Texas MMA fans give Noguiera love.

Everybody where I was was standing and cheering as GSP started wobbling. That was pretty aweseome. Looked like GSP slipped a bit, then got nailed and totally lost his legs, then got nailed again. But even before that Serra was landing some hard body shots while GSP was just whiffing about 12 high left kicks.

When I saw Matt Serra throwing those bombs knocking the holy hell out of GSP's chin with his unrelenting Neopolean short man with a chip on his shoulder fury I was jumping up and down so much that even a one eye partial blind man knew something was happening! WTF was up with Sanchez not going for the takedown? At the end of the first round when Koshcheck did go for the takedown Diego reversed it with ease why didn't he go for the takedown himself? He should of known that after two rounds that he was losing the fight!

Man, I'm glad that I don't gamble, god damn. I have to admit that I'm disappointed I missed it but even just reading about the main event was crazy.

Wow, just wow on the main event

Diego/Kos, I couldn't stand either of them before tonight and now I definitely can't stand either of them. Also, WTF was with Diego and the Kings logo, did I miss something here?

Respect to Serra, he legit pounded the shit outta St. Pierre. The big negative here is St. Pierres chin being exposed. St. Pierre is not a brawler, and now guys will be turning his fights into brawls to get at his chin. Fundamental mistake in strategy. In retrospect, it's easy to say what GSP should have done, but he clearly overestimated his ability standing and also overestimated Serras ground game. GSP looked scared of Serras right hand and kept throwing the high kick to distance himself from his opponent; the second he deviated from his pick and move strategy, the second it turned into a slugfest, he got caught with a wild strike and he couldn't recover. St. Pierres strength is mixing it up and he should have went for takedowns and grinded it out for a bit before going back standing. Still, respect to Serra.

MMA is a fucking messed up thing, though. Guys that don't crack the top 20 are beating top 5 guys. Damn.

Kos/Diego sucked it. One of the most disappointing fights ever. Two great grapplers who thought themselves boxers. Koscheck clearly doesn't care about making it a fight, which is a huge strength because he's content with riding out decisions either on the ground or standing. Diegos stand up was shit. Purely defensive stance, he was clearly afraid of Koschecks right (which credit to Koscheck, he kept it in Diegos mind), and he never once tried for anything else. Very frustrating to watch.

Huerta/Garcia was fucking amazing. Not a whole lot else I can say. Goddamn Mexicans.

Okami/Swick was mildly disappointing. Should have known from the Loiseau fight the kind of fighter Swick was. It's odd how he used the right strategy -coming at Okami with straight punches with constant pressure- once, and it worked, and then he completely abandoned it. Okami really impressed me with his bodylock, but there wasn't a whole lot that convinces me he is a legit contender... other than the complete mindfuck that is MMA in 2007 where anything is possible.

Kendall looked GOOD. Jesus, it was a downer to see Belcher served like that, but Kendall showed not only a lot of tools, but more importantly, a willingness to use them all.

NOG~!

But yeah, this sucks. Matt Hughes grinning and laughing at St. Pierres loss is complete bullshit. GSP was nothing but respectful and Hughes goes and dicks it up.

I have no idea where we go from here. St. Pierre vs. Hughes II, non-title? Koscheck/Serra title? Maybe Fitch/Diego?

Lei Tong, we need you to guide us...

Watching it with my friends we were just like "oh, GSP slipped...wait...wha-holy...holy shit he's fucked". Probably the most unexpected thing I've ever seen in a fight. But yeah, absolutely respect to Serra, he did amazingly well to pounce at the first hint of weakness and finish the fight.

Sanchez/Kos was a piece of shit, enough said. The LW fight was fantastic and made up for it though.