TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

NCAA Basketball Tournament 1st/2nd Round Thread

Figured should get this up already since it sort of starts tommorrow, although not really in my view. I'm taking both Thursday and Friday off this year although I'll miss the late games on Friday.

If you haven't already signed up for March Madness On Demand, do so now. I really can't give enough kudos to CBS for doing this for free again.

TUESDAY

Florida A&M vs. Niagara, 7:30/4:30 PM

THURSDAY

Davidson vs. Maryland, 12:20 PM/9:20 AM

Texas Tech vs. Boston College, 12:25 PM/9:25 AM

Stanford vs. Louisville, 12:40 PM/9:40 AM

Oral Roberts vs. Washington State, 2:40 PM/11:40 AM

Old Dominion vs. Butler, 2:40 PM/11:40 AM

Belmont vs. Georgetown, 2:45 PM/11:45 AM

Pennsylvania vs. Texas A&M, 3:00 PM/Noon

George Washington vs. Vanderbilt, 5:00/2:00 PM

VCU vs. Duke, 7:10/4:10 PM

Central Connecticut State vs. Ohio State, 7:10/4:10 PM

Michigan State vs. Marquette, 7:20/4:20 PM

Weber State vs. UCLA, 7:25/4:25 PM

Wright State vs. Pittsburgh, 9:30/6:30 PM

Xavier vs. BYU, 9:30/6:30 PM

Eastern Kentucky vs. North Carolina, 9:40/6:40 PM

Gonzaga vs. Indiana, 9:45/6:45 PM

FRIDAY

Albany vs. Virginia, 12:15 PM/9:15 AM

Georgia Tech vs. UNLV, 12:25 PM/9:25 AM

North Texas vs. Memphis, 12:30 PM/9:30 AM

Long Beach State vs. Tennessee, 2:35 PM/11:35 AM

Winthrop vs. Notre Dame, 2:35 PM/11:35 AM

Texas A&M-Corpus Christi vs. Wisconsin, 2:45 PM/11:45 AM

Creighton vs. Nevada, 2:50 PM/11:50 AM

Miami of Ohio vs. Oregon, 5:05/2:05 PM

TBA vs. Kansas, 7:10/4:10 PM

Illinois vs. Virginia Tech, 7:10/4:10 PM

Purdue vs. Arizona, 7:20/4:20 PM

New Mexico State vs. Texas, 7:25/4:25 PM

Villanova vs. Kentucky, 9:30/6:30 PM

Holy Cross vs. Southern Illinois, 9:30/6:30 PM

Jackson State vs. Florida, 9:40/6:40 PM

Arkansas vs. USC, 9:45/6:45 PM

I hate having to wait the full two days for the USC game. The only thing good about it is that if we lose, the east coast won't even know about it until they see Arkansas playing on Sunday.

There's a tourney pool thread about halfway down this first page in Sports, I think.

I thought really hard about taking off for the first two days, but decided that I'll just flake off at work and enjoy March Madness On Demand, and take a really long lunch break on Friday for the Virginia/Albany game.

We'll just have a tv playing out in the shop, so I won't have to worry about missing the games. Any reason why they have two games that aren't exactly major market teams given a wide time period (GW/Vanderbilt and MOH/Oregon)? You'd think they would just put teams like Duke, Florida or UCLA in that slot.

Guest Queen Leelee

Lolz @ the topic creator. How sad.

I hope we get LBSU/Tennessee instead of Notre Dame. That game will be insane.

We'll just have a tv playing out in the shop, so I won't have to worry about missing the games. Any reason why they have two games that aren't exactly major market teams given a wide time period (GW/Vanderbilt and MOH/Oregon)? You'd think they would just put teams like Duke, Florida or UCLA in that slot.

They have to seperate one of the games each day because they don't want to tip off a game being played on the west coast that early in the morning and those two games are in Sacramento and Spokane. They will only be available in those school's local marktes so they aren't national telecasts.

I personally was hoping they would put Texas A & M vs. Texas A & M of Corpus Christi in the first round. After all, they are usually quick to be douchebags when it comes to stuff like putting little Eastern KY against UK or stuff like that.

I can't believe how bad of a draw MSU got this year. Marquette in the first round, with UNC if they win that one. I guess we get to see if Izzo's usual tough schedule does what it was supposed to do and prepared them for this. I really don't think State will win that first round game, and would put money against them in the second :(

Guest Queen Leelee
I personally was hoping they would put Texas A & M vs. Texas A & M of Corpus Christi in the first round. After all, they are usually quick to be douchebags when it comes to stuff like putting little Eastern KY against UK or stuff like that.

I'm surprised they didn't do Indiana/Texas Tech... it was right there since they overseeded Indiana.

I think that goddam Neitzel & Company will beat Marquette.

That's only because you hate Marquette. I think Marquette is going to murder Sparta.

FUCLA guard Darren Collison sprained his ankle, and he's probable for the Weber State game. That guy went to my rival high school, and he can eat shit as far as I'm concerned.

OH NOES, TIME TO CHANGE YOUR BRACKETS!

I'm surprised they didn't do Indiana/Texas Tech... it was right there since they overseeded Indiana.

That would have been too blatant unlike all the other unplanned similar situations that we're going to see this year and have seen in years past. I think this is the first time I can remember that Duke and UK landed in the same region and no one is making the usual "omg! fix!" comments.

Guest Queen Leelee

Oh, Marvin, you're not supposed to spoil your OMGWTFBBQ shocking pick to win the tourney yet.

Marvin's blinded by love. Never fill out a bracket on cloud nine.

No..this strictly homer picks on my part. And MD could go far if Florida and Wisconsin bite the dust early. They're a #4 seed and it wouldnt be unheard of..and plus if they do win the Championship they'll have ended up with 30 wins.

In reality I like Georgetown vs Florida in the finals though.

I hate that conventional wisdom seems to only include one #1 seed this year. Usually loading up the Final Four with some 2s and 3s is enough to create separation from the people I'm competing against, but this year it seems like everyone in my friends pool--especially the ones who don't follow college basketball--has Florida, A&M, and Georgetown getting it done, with UCLA/Kansas splitting the votes from that region. Time to get creative.

So do I, but I'm a Louisville alum, haha. To be honest if that game is anywhere but Lexington, KY then A & M would beat the piss out of U of L.

Marquette vs. MSU is a curious game, I picked Marquette. Frankly I dislike both teams, and loathe Marquette more, but picked them despite McNeal being hurt.

Guest Queen Leelee

Fuck it... I'm just taking some random experts' picks.

I flip-flop on 1/3 of the 1st round games already, and this won't improve as we go on. Damn parity and poor seeding structure.

Guest Queen Leelee

No.

We're going to see less "Cinderella" small teams win in general, because the committee put zero effort into seeding them properly. How LBSU and Albany are seeded amongst the highest of them makes no sense, whatsoever.

Guest Queen Leelee

Top heavy, yes.

But, just about all the 4-6 seeds this year were overrated.

Guest Queen Leelee

Is VT even the favorite in their 5-12 game. It's hard to pick them.

Texas is a solid 4. I thought they could have even got a 2 because they have 50% of college players that we're told to care about.