TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
starvenger

UFC 70: Nations Collide on SpikeTV

I think the message sent here is pretty clear:

When Gonzaga wants to tap gloves. You better fucking tap gloves.

I am still in shock.

I just wanted to mention that you wrote Gonzaga off after the Jordan fight and also gave him no chance of doing anything to Mirko, standing or on the mat. Why? Because I am on a vindication high.

I made NO conclusive point on Gonzaga OR Cro Cop. It was mere speculation based on some recent footage I saw and asking for clarification if that was still the case today. NO vindication awarded!

As for any comments made in relation to the aforementioned Jordan/Gonzaga fight... why you gotta be such a jew?

I like how when they were asking Randy about facing Gonzaga after the fight, he was very candid that he really didn't have a good answer for him, as opposed to Mirko who he mentioned he felt he had an advantage over.

Gonna be an interesting fight. Gonzaga looks -big- and -strong- and has jiujutsu skills. That's really a dangerous combo. Some big guys I've seen don't have the power they should have at their size, especially on the ground. Gonzaga just manhandled mirko on the ground like he should with his size.

I made NO conclusive point on Gonzaga OR Cro Cop. It was mere speculation based on some recent footage I saw and asking for clarification if that was still the case today. NO vindication awarded!

As for any comments made in relation to the aforementioned Jordan/Gonzaga fight... why you gotta be such a jew?

Fine, I'll just direct my smarmy remarks in the direction of pretty much everyone else, except YPOV & EHME.

Also, my features are much closer to Armenian than Jewish.

The next best thing to the knockouts of the UFC?

Joe Silvas reaction to them.

Also, watching it "real time", good lord did that RHK come out of NOWHERE. You could see him plant his lead foot a few times, but the way he was moving his hands and kept baiting... it was clearly a conscious, strategic move.

When I was watching the UFC preview show I thought to myself... "Wow, seems like Gonzaga has a decent chance."

Then I remembered that the UFC preview show could make the biggest jobber look like even money and laughed at myself.

Oops.

Mirko has always had a flaw in his fighting abilities. Namely, that he does NOT fight well under pressure. If the opponent refuses to back down from him, it psychologically messes up his fighting. It happened with Hunt, and it happened with Fedor. If his opponent will not give him range and time, he can't function at 100%.

Gonzaga knew this. He came straight at Mirko, and REFUSED to yield to him position in the cage. You could see it bothering Mirko, because Gonzaga was constantly staying away from Mirko's powerbase. It was a damned good strategy. If Mirko can't get you within his range, then he can't land shots. The one kick Mirko did land, he bruised the crap out of Gonzaga's side. Gonzaga did a very good job keeping Mirko outside of his comfortable range.

Quite frankly, I gave Gonzaga no shot. I knew there was a chance, but I didn't give him any myself. You may have thought Gonzaga would win, but no one predicted what happened. Had Gonzaga ever fucking THROWN a highkick like that before? I don't blame Mirko for being surprised. That shit was STRAIGHT out of left field and cracked him upside the head. You can't prepare for what you don't know is coming. This is probably one of the best examples of that in modern MMA history. Well this and Soukodjou anyway. If you don't know what the hell is going to happen, you can't train for it, and you can't prepare for it. You can CLEARLY see Mirko's thinking "Okay, he's kicking. It's going to be a middle or low kick" and is just...completely caught off guard.

I also disagree with the "PRIDE > UFC HW's?! HAH!" sentiment I've seen online. Gonzaga is a relative new face to the division, and UFC hadn't been pushing him at ALL. Even with this loss, Sylvia and Arlovski are still a step or two below Cro Cop, Fedor & Nogueria in ability. Arlovski looked BAD in a fight that he should have easily won when Werdum couldn't do anything. Werdum could not do anything, and Arlovski should have been teeing off on him. Instead he just...stayed back and took the easy JD. Sylvia is...well...Sylvia.

The pacing of this show was horrendous. Just...very slow, and the fights themselves didn't exactly set the world on fire. Outside of the shock of Mirko losing, and Bisping's win, I don't think I'll remember much about this show in a week or two.

I think 'holy fuck' comes about as close as possible to describing it in words.

I avoided the spoilers to watch it 'live' last night.

Jesus God, that might have been the most brutal knockout I have ever seen.

After watching the KO several times I noticed that Mirko walked into to the kick and when it hit him he got KTFO instantly the knees went out and that was it. I was thinking if the Arlovsk fight wasn't as boring as it was would of Cro-Cop slowed the pace of the first round down working more defensive from a distance?

I've always been big on Gonzaga, I knew he was going to be the next big thing at HW. I even put $100 on Gonzaga last night, I was so happy to see him KO Cro Cop and rape him of his manhood.

I think that's a little overstated. It's not like Cro Cop hasn't gotten knocked out before. He'll be back and one of the top contenders for the belt after Gonzaga, Arlovski, and maybe Vera (I hear he's resigned).

But if Nog and Fedor end up in the heavyweight division all bets are off. Fedor is wishful thinking but Rogan singled out Nog on the broadcast last night as being under the UFC umbrella so we'll see when he ends up making his UFC debut.

After reading that gem of a post, everybody is thinking it but I'll say it: Carlito, shut the fuck up. You overexaggerate pretty much everything you say and that's no exception. "Raped him of his manhood"? Ease up, drama queen.

Time for Cro Cop to go kill Riggs, Mir, Cabbage, or TUF heavyweights? Hey if Chuck Lindell loses to Jackson maybe he can gain weight to fight Cro Cop! :lol:

If Gonzaga wins the title and Cro Cop wins his next fight, there will be a rematch after that. It's too easy to pass up.

Also notice his fucked up ankle in the fifth pic down on the right.

That has to be a dislocation of the ankle, at least a severe sprain.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
Also notice his fucked up ankle in the fifth pic down on the right.

That has to be a dislocation of the ankle, at least a severe sprain.

That looked a lot nastier than it probably was. Guy's flexibility and tendon strength has to be outrageous just to fight at that level.

If Gonzaga wins the title and Cro Cop wins his next fight, there will be a rematch after that. It's too easy to pass up.

Nah. You'll see Arlovski, Vera or Nogeuira get first crack at Gonzaga before Cro-Cop.

Not to be a smartass, but do you really think after that snoozer of a fight, Arlovski would get a title shot before Cro Cop (who, also did not put on the best of performances but would at least have the Revenge angle working for him if Gonzaga becomes champ)?

Werdum is a Top Ten HW. Regardless of Arlovski's victory, it's a victory and it's over one of the higher-ranked fighters in his weight class. Nobody in UFC right now with the exception of Cro-Cop (who just died) and Noguiera can lay claim to that. And I don't see Nog getting a title shot right off the bat, if the Vera fight goes down then it'll likely be #1 contender but Arlovski is still up there.

Mirko seems to drop his hands alot but doesn't have to pay for it much because people are so afraid of his legs and are afraid to make a move. But that hand dropping shit is giong to have to stop. This is the exact way he lost to that piece of crap Kevin Randleman. A couple of more shots to the head and maybe he will start keeping those hands up.

And next time, touch gloves mutherfucker.

Ripper - not a fan of Kevin Randleman.