TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
starvenger

UFC 70: Nations Collide on SpikeTV

Fuck that guy. How can you like a guy that literally doesn't try at all sometimes. Fuck that guy right in his ear.

I think that's a little overstated. It's not like Cro Cop hasn't gotten knocked out before. He'll be back and one of the top contenders for the belt after Gonzaga, Arlovski, and maybe Vera (I hear he's resigned).

Maybe so, but he KO'd Cro Cop kicking him in the head, which Cro Cop is best known for.

Cro Cop will be able to bounce back, but I couldn't believe the lack of respect Gonzaga was getting before this fight, and some people were looking past Gonzaga and onto Cro Cop/Couture.

I would personally like to see Cro Cop Vs. Jake O'Brien.

Okay, so I go away for a month, come back, find out not only did GSP lose, but Cro Cop just got KTFO. Incredible, and another reason to value this sport. It's unpredictable, and always entertaining. Now, to buy a new laptop and download the PPVs to catch up...

I saw this for a sec tonight, just as that one dude got kicked in the head and then bent his leg all weird on the replay as he collapsed. Sick shit. I had to change the channel.

UFC 70 in Manchester did a 1.84 rating and 2.8 million viewers over three hours on Spike TV. It was the second highest-rated UFC special in history behind Shamrock/Ortiz. It peaked at 3.5 million viewers for the Gonzaga vs. Cro cop fight at 11:45 PM, which is quite the number at that hour.

F4W

Those are numbers to be proud of.

A press release from Spike TV about the numbers:

UFC 70: NATIONS COLLIDE SPARKS HUGE RATINGS FOR SPIKE TV

More Men 18-34 Watch UFC 70 Than NASCAR on FOX, NBA Playoffs On ESPN, and MLB Rivalries Yankees vs Red Sox and Cubs vs Cardinals on FOX

New York, NY April 24, 2007 - Highlighted by Gabriel Gonzaga’s stunning upset of Mirko Cro Cop in the night’s main event, UFC70: NATIONS COLLIDE, the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s first foray into Europe since 2002, garnered tremendous ratings with fans back in the United States on Spike TV. The three hour fight card on Saturday, April 21 (9:00 PM - Midnight, ET/PT) from the M.E.N. arena in Manchester, England drew an average of 2.8 million viewers. The telecast peaked with a 4.36 rating in M 18-34 and a 2.24 household for an average of 3.5 million viewers during the 11:45 PM - Midnight quarter hour. It was the 2nd most watched UFC fight card in history, after the 3rd bout between Ken Shamrock and Tito Ortiz on Spike TV last October. The historic event drew more Men 18-34 than the NASCAR Subway Fresh 500 on FOX head to head in primetime, as well as first round coverage of the NBA playoffs on ESPN, and Saturday afternoon baseball on FOX featuring marquee matchups between perennial rivals the Yankees and Red Sox and the Cardinals and Cubs. The fight card featured Gonzaga’s victory over Cro Cop, as well wins by UFC heavyweights Andrei Arlovski and Chieck Kongo, and, in light heavyweight competition, Liverpool native Michael Bisping.

Overall, the fight card drew a 1.84 household rating (1.7 million homes), a 2.59 in M18-49 (1.4 million), and a 3.23 in M18-34 (885, 000).

Among the ratings highlights include:

- UFC 70 drew more Men 18-34 (885, 000 viewers), than anything on television (broadcast or cable) on Saturday, April 21, with over 100,000 more impressions in the demographic than its nearest competitor (NASCAR on FOX).

- The fight card for Spike TV was up +651% with Men 18-34, +2150% M18-24, and +406% M 25-34 versus a year ago.

Spike TV, the first network for men, is available in 91.6 million homes and is a division of MTV Networks. MTV Networks, a division of Viacom International Inc.

I d/l'd the Cro Cop match not knowing anything about the result. It's the first MMA match I've watched in it's entirety, and I mainly got it due to the hype around Cro Cop.

Man, that was awesome. It's the sort of thing that will make people order a PPV. Definitely a good match to put on a free UFC special.

Man, if you think that was good watch.....anything else. Great finish, no doubt but UFC has loads better fights to be found.

Example: Roger Huerta vs Leonard Garcia, UFC 69. Watch two lightweights hit each other in the face a lot and not die.

Man, if you think that was good watch.....anything else. Great finish, no doubt but UFC has loads better fights to be found.

Example: Roger Huerta vs Leonard Garcia, UFC 69. Watch two lightweights hit each other in the face a lot and not die.

Huerta Vs. Garcia was a good fight no doubt, but I don't think it was a "great" fight.

Yeah....that's just dumb. Easily the best LW fight since Fisher/Wiman. The standard-bearer for LW fights is still Fisher/Stout as far as I'm concerned which is funny considering it was the first fight the division had when it was brought back.

Yeah....that's just dumb. Easily the best LW fight since Fisher/Wiman. The standard-bearer for LW fights is still Fisher/Stout as far as I'm concerned which is funny considering it was the first fight the division had when it was brought back.

While I was entertained by the fight, Huerta was the clear winner of the fight, and took all 3 rounds IMO. There are not many fights, that I would call "great" fights.

I would take Edwards/Franca fights anyday of the week over the fights you mentioned. Although one of them wasn't in the UFC, both fights were competitive, razor-close fights, where you didn't know who was going to win until the judges read the scorecords. That's a great fight IMO.

I love my fellow wetbacks smashing in each other's faces in as much as anyone, but that fight isn't even the best UFC LW fight of the year so far (that honor belongs to Edgar/Griffin).

Oh yeah, as a match it wasn't anything because it was over so quick. But as something to watch when you don't know much about MMA, it was pretty damn cool.

I love my fellow wetbacks smashing in each other's faces in as much as anyone, but that fight isn't even the best UFC LW fight of the year so far (that honor belongs to Edgar/Griffin).

Yeah Edgar/Griffin was a lot better Garcia/Huerta.

I enjoyed that fight. Not too much action, admittedly, but I like Machida and his performance was solid. Some killer kicks to the body, the knee strike combo was dope, and he fucking tooled Heath on the ground at the end there. Heath is no joke, either, so it was a good win for Lyoto. Goldbergs commentary was hilarious, also. He was trying so hard to be impressed by Lyoto,

"look at those board shorts, Joe, SPRAWL camo, that's the mark of a true fighter"