TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ravenbomb

I'm officially a film student now

Friday I got my letter of acceptence into the Film Production program at Webster University. So in the fall, I'll officially be going to film school. Hooray for me.

When I get my 80 minute, black-and-white film with no dialogue and Eraserhead-like overtones done, I'll make sure to post it for all to see.

Guest Vitamin X

Congratulations, Ravenbomb. Welcome to the club.

I think that makes 3 of us here, between yourself, me, and the pretty much retired by now godthedog. What is your main focus in film? Production crew, director, editor, screenwriter...?

Me, I'm going mainly for screenwriting and editing. I have a lot of fun with the latter, and there's a lot more work there and just post-production in general. Sound design in particular is in big demand, because noone wants to touch that shit. Way too much work, and I don't find it to be a lot of fun.

Have fun, and be prepared to commence pirating of a looooot of software..

I went to a Film Production school as well, which landed me a job here in Hollywood for Technicolor. Congradulations man.

My advice to you would be to definately make friends. Lots, lots, lots, and lots of Friends. Build a circle, and start up a film crew with them.

That bond could lead to big projects in the future.

It's alot of fun. I had the best time with the screenwriting course, acting and the directing finale, but those are my favorite subjects so to me, it was like when you were a kid and you got to go play outside after school. Hope you have fun dood, to me it was like Summer Camp.

Congrats dude.

Its something i really wish i could do myself. Might have to look into it.

I went to a Film Production school as well, which landed me a job here in Hollywood for Technicolor. Congradulations man.

My advice to you would be to definately make friends. Lots, lots, lots, and lots of Friends. Build a circle, and start up a film crew with them.

It's alot of fun. I had the best time with the screenwriting course, acting and the directing finale, but those are my favorite subjects so to me, it was like when you were a kid and you got to go play outside after school. Hope you have fun dood, to me it was like Summer Camp.

I already have a small stable of people willing to work for free from prior projects I've produced (*cough*linkinsig*cough*), but, yeah. I'm mostly into the writing and editing, directing closely behind.

Nice work. I'm going to try to get into screenwriting after my English degree. I want to get some kind of internship my third or fourth year as a writer's/producer's assistant to start making connectionz.

Congrats dude! I hope you make something of it. I have a couple friends in theater/screenwriting, who if nothing else, have made great self-sustained runs in Seattle. It's definitely doable. They're reviewed in the niche papers very well, and have great shows. ONe thing, I hope your parents support you.

I do sorta hope you're kidding about the Eraserhead. I'm a huge Lynch film fan, (hell, I'm named after a Lynch character) and I sorta find that film insufferable.

Yeah, I was making a joke about the cliché that all student films are Eraserhead ripoffs.

My parents support me so much it's not even funny. I couldn't have made any of my movies without them. Literally, my dad provided 99% of the equipment, and my mom did the driving until I got my liscense, and the one movie I did since I could drive was the one where she was my connection to get the location.

Well, you're so far ahead of every amateur filmmaker then. I wish you the best of luck. It just takes a little bit of ingenuity or unique humor to make an incredible film.

I saw El Mariachi, and it inspired me to make a couple of embarrising home movies. Then I just settled into being adequate at math. If you have a passion for it, a modicum of originality, and you have support. DO IT.

I already have a small stable of people willing to work for free from prior projects I've produced (*cough*linkinsig*cough*), but, yeah. I'm mostly into the writing and editing, directing closely behind.

Editing can be so fucking awesome if you have free reign (and the material is something that interests you). The one thing I always loved doing when it came to editing, was getting the chance to put the score together. I'd always compile a list of songs from my Ipod that would go with the footage. I'm like a fucking geek when it comes to that stuff. Have you played around with Avid yet?

Editing can be so fucking awesome if you have free reign (and the material is something that interests you). The one thing I always loved doing when it came to editing, was getting the chance to put the score together. I'd always compile a list of songs from my Ipod that would go with the footage. I'm like a fucking geek when it comes to that stuff. Have you played around with Avid yet?

I fuckin love Avid. It's such a good editing program. We've had many tutorials on how to use the program on my course as it's industry standard. Im really into my editing ever since i discovered Windows Movie Maker on my parents PC.

Having said that, i think i work better as Writer, i'm not bad at editing, but im probably a better writer (saying that, im not that great at that either :P) and thats what id like to do as a carear.

Yeah, I've played with Avid some. I generally use a combination of Adobe Premiere Pro, a little Avid, and Ulead Video Studio 10 for colour correction and some basic stuff. The big video editing compy we had is gone for the time being, but mine still has the Adobe package, Flash, and some Ulead programs.

Guest Vitamin X
I saw El Mariachi, and it inspired me to make a couple of embarrising home movies. Then I just settled into being adequate at math. If you have a passion for it, a modicum of originality, and you have support. DO IT.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold on a second...

I want to see The Special K Collection. It must be released to the public.

Yeah, I've played with Avid some. I generally use a combination of Adobe Premiere Pro, a little Avid, and Ulead Video Studio 10 for colour correction and some basic stuff. The big video editing compy we had is gone for the time being, but mine still has the Adobe package, Flash, and some Ulead programs.

Im glad im not the only one have used Ulead Video Studio, i got a few free copies of the basic versions when i got my first digital cameras.

I want to see The Special K Collection. It must be released to the public.

You really don't. Well maybe you do. You see...

I have a phobia. a really terrible, actual phobia. When I was a kid, in the boy scouts, we took a 50 -mile hike. It was great. One of the parents took a camcorder. When we were home, the parents showed video of the kids hiking. And I fucking freaked out. I couldn't watch it.

Later in life, me and some friends shot some dumb home movies, and it was fun. Cutting it up in the editting room, with friends I couldn't do it. It's the dumbest phobia ever, but I can't watch video of myself in motion. Pictures? Fine. And it's not that I'm horribly ugly or something, I just cannot watch myself in motion. And if I think back, my parents have movies of me playing with a pet rabbit, when I was very young. Cute as hell. They showed it to another couple. I was a crying mess.

Really, the dumbest fucking phobia, but there it is.

I can't listen to myself talk. We had a premiere party for The Customer's Always Right (it'll be on YouTube soon), and I did a commentary track for the DVD, and some people wanted to listen to it. I talked them out of it and instead we did a group live commentary. But sitting there just listening to myself talk over a movie would've been horrible. I can watch myself act, but I would not want to just listen to myself talk.

Congratulations. I've been writing the scripts for a friend of mine whose in film school, so if that falls through, can I ride your coattails?

Well, I'm always looking to pad my credits

Yeah, I'm pretty much a few months away from ending my degree in film too. Here though its alot harder to get work in the business. I have the option of working in most countries though so hopefully I'll just leave the rest in the rat race after my masters I hope to do in scriptwriting.