TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

Urban Legends and Myths

Mountain Dew lowers your sperm count.

The version I heard was that it shrunk your balls.

The version I heard was that it made you gay.

I also seem to remember watching a 20/20 where some black pepole believed KFC had secert ingedents that made black men sterile b/c the Col. was a slave owner, and the same thing with Snapple Ice Tea b/c it had "slave ships" (actually ships from the Boston Tea-Party) on the label.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Same with Marlboro cigarette packaging. The silhouettes of the Klansmen in profile holding the "Veni Vidi Vici" banner.

marlboro.gif

Between the legs on either side of the crest.

Poor Coke on raw pork, and tiny worms appear.

This is true.

Trichinosis..the tiny worms..found in some but not all pork.

If the pork is really old or not kept properly that would likely happen.

dont eat raw pork

You can marinate pork in cola though. Quite nice.

The KFC thing is actually true, I believe. They aren't allowed to say 'Kentucky Fried Chicken' anymore because these creatures aren't technically chickens.

You can marinate pork in cola though. Quite nice.

The KFC thing is actually true, I believe. They aren't allowed to say 'Kentucky Fried Chicken' anymore because these creatures aren't technically chickens.

Noooo. It got dropped to KFC for PR reasons, as 'fried' got bad press over the last 30 years.

Oh, snopes.com, how I love you. Let's not let the facts get in the way of a good story, though.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/kfc.asp

I had actually heard the reason was that the state of Kentucky trademarked the word "Kentucky", but apparently that is not true either.

Thank you.

I was a bit worried about my posting it, since the guy who told me was a high school teacher of mine (and this was over 5 years ago already), who I'm told has a shrine to himself in his hallway.

That's just silly, and illogical. The first item on their menu? Chicken, not C.

The version I heard was that it made you gay.

I also seem to remember watching a 20/20 where some black pepole believed KFC had secert ingedents that made black men sterile b/c the Col. was a slave owner, and the same thing with Snapple Ice Tea b/c it had "slave ships" (actually ships from the Boston Tea-Party) on the label.

I believe that was Church's Chicken, and it really had nothing to do with the Col.

A co-worker (Chris) told me that our 25-year-old virgin co-worker (Dan) said that Walmart's Old Roy dog food was made from a ground-up dog named Old Roy, and that the original dog had managed to make it into every bag of Old Roy since the brand's inception.

When I asked Dan about that, he redeemed himself by saying he had merely told Chris he heard the myth, which Chris failed to mention to me when he was telling me the story. Dan proceeded to shoot himself in the foot by telling me "I know it's not true, it's just the rumour, but I'll tell you what is true;" He then told me the blantant lie Chris and I had told him about a month earlier:

As per a concoction Chris and I cooked up to our gullible buddy, Chris told him in front of me about a month ago "I just got a report. The phosphors in plasma TVs leak and give off toxins. They were unnoticable to adults, but a few toddlers and babies have gotten sick, and one even died from it." Dan didn't believe him, and my audible laughing didn't help but Chris even sited a fake website he read it on, and Dan bought it.

That's odd, the version that went around my highschool was that Mountain Dew had Yellow #5 in it and it would make your dick bigger. lol

Another urban legend I always heard was that Arby's roast beef starts out as gel, and isn't really meat at all. And McDonald's hamburger meat is made of earthworms.

KFC went back to Kentucky Fried Chicken to harken back to the old days when it thats what it was called even though people still said KFC.

And it was KFC because of the negative connotation of the word FRIED...back when OMG FAT IS GOING TO KILL YOU!

I heard some people thought the "K" on the back of some food product labels meant that the company was owned by the Ku Klux Klan.

Wait as in the 'K' for 'Kosher?' That's pretty funny.

I wouldn't want to eat something infused with Psycho Power.

I just laughed for a good 30 seconds. Bastard.

I always liked the one about Bubble Yum containing spider eggs.

I heard some people thought the "K" on the back of some food product labels meant that the company was owned by the Ku Klux Klan.

I thought kosher foos were marked with an encircled U.

You can drink as much diet pop as you want and not have to worry about gaining weight, because its diet pop.

You can drink as much diet pop as you want and not have to worry about gaining weight, because its diet pop.

Well, it doesn't have any calories or sugar, so really the only component that could cause weight gain would eb the small amounts of sodium.

I've read stories that follow this, and they're mostly disingenious in their titles. "People who drink diet soda actually gain more weight than those who don't drink diet!" And then you read the story, and the reason that those people gain more is because the soda drinker thinks that because they were so good for drinking a calorie-free, sugar-free soda, that entitles them to chomp down on a candy bar. Like it's supposed to all balance out.

Guest Richard McBeef

I thought kosher foos were marked with an encircled U.

That's the official rabbi-approved mark. Encircled K is just "yeah, we think so" without getting approval. Pareve means neutral, which means you don't run afoul of any milk/meat rules.

Another urban legend I always heard was that Arby's roast beef starts out as gel, and isn't really meat at all.

An old friend of mine said he was shown this by one of his friends. He said it was a container he opened up, and the gel expanded, and there's your beef.