TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GCWPatrick

St. Louis-Area Wrestling Thread

Gateway Championship Wrestling is scheduled to make its return next month with a show on Friday 4/13 in Overland and Saturday 4/14 in Mt. Vernon.

During GCW's absence, a couple of other promotions have been making waves in the area. The Lethal Wrestling Alliance has been around a while and several wrestlers work for them that used to work for GCW. Alex Shelley wrestled at last night's LWA show in Fairview Heights in a great match with Nick Tyson...heck, it was a strong show all around and I was fortunate to be in attendance.

Another new promotion is called FIST(Future Independent STars of Wrestling) and it runs primarily in the Metro East area. A lot of promotions seem to prefer running in Illinois instead of dealing with the excessive regulations and massive fees associated with the Missouri State Athletic Commission.

GCW: http://www.gatewaywrestling.com/

LWA: http://www.lwawrestling.com/

FIST: No official site yet but their message board is: http://fistwrestling.proboards74.com/

I'm interested to see who will be working the upcoming GCW shows. From the sound of things, GCW has parted ways with not only Dingo, but the LWA crew as well(Nick Tyson, Gary Jay, Pierre Abernathy, Evan Petrie/Gelistico, Dorian Victor).

I have some pics up from recent indy shows, just to get the cheap plug in...

-PB

http://www.tnaw.com/

I've been meaning to get in touch with Ben for a while but a lot of other stuff has occupied my time these days. As it stands right now, the GCW roster is as much a question mark to me as it is to you guys. There are certain individuals who I see sticking around, KaSt being one of them. I've heard differing stories on how they'll handle the title situation, with at least one person saying that they may just vacate all the belts for this "restart".

Hopefully we'll get some info on the upcoming lineups soon.

-PB

FIST has a show tomorrow in Fairview Heights with Delirious, Daizee Haze, and MsChif all appearing.

Coming up in April, GCW returns with a show in Overland on Friday 4/13:

-Cameron Cage vs. Kevin X for the Heavyweight Title

-Steven Kennedy vs. Jackal for the Light Heavyweight Title

-The Bumrush Brothers vs. The Ego Express for the Tag Team Titles

-Sean Vincent vs. Michael Serious

-Trent Stone vs. Bryan Monterro

GCW also has a show on Saturday 4/14 in Mt. Vernon.

LWA has a show on Saturday 4/14 in Affton(for those who are looking for something closer to home):

-Pierre Abernathy vs. Dorian Victor - LWA Medallion - Last Man Standing

Also, LWA makes its debut at the Vetta Sports Club in St. Charles on Saturday 5/12.

The FIST show has been postponed, apparently due to scheduling conflicts with Matt Sydal and finding a building for the cage match.

GCW(www.gatewaywrestling.com)

Friday 4/13 in Overland, MO:

-Cameron Cage vs. Kevin X - Heavyweight Title

-Steven Kennedy vs. Jackal - Light Heavyweight Title

-The Bumrush Bros. vs. The Ego Express - Tag Team Titles

-Sean Vincent vs. Michael Serious

Saturday 4/14 in Mt. Vernon, IL:

-*JERRY LYNN* vs. Kevin X

-Cameron Cage vs. Chaz Wesson - Heavyweight Title

-Steven Kennedy vs. Michael Serious - Light Heavyweight Title

-The Bumrush Bros. vs. The Ego Express - Tag Team Titles

-Cabal vs. Dice

-Jackal vs. Curtis Wylde

LWA(lwawrestling.lwaproductions.com)

Saturday 4/14 in Affton, MO:

-Gary The Barnowl vs. ? - Heavyweight Title

-Pierre Abernathy vs. Dorian Victor - LWA Medallion - Last Man Standing

GCW has two shows scheduled for May; Friday the 11th in Overland and Saturday the 12th in Mt. Vernon.

LWA has a show this coming Saturday in House Springs, MO with Michael Strider vs. Adam Raw. They have a show on June 30th with Samoa Joe facing Dorian Victor.

Guest fistwrestling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcF8W41SuJw

This is a link to the first episode of F.I.S.T. TV which is the finest independent stars of today's wrestling. This is a new group from the STL area, that is begining to take off. Check out our myspace, myspace.com/fistwrestling for updates!

Harley Race runs WLW which I believe is World League Wrestling. They run a show in metro St Louis maybe 2-3 times a year but most of their shows are in the middle/ western side of Missouri. I think they are based out of Eldon.

June stuff:

FIST on Sunday 6/3 in Mascoutah with Matt Sydal appearing.

Um, South Broadway has a show on Saturday 6/9 at the Athletic Club. They have a show in East Carondelet on the 16th.

GCW on Friday 6/22 in Overland and Saturday 6/23 in Mt. Vernon.

LWA on Saturday 6/30 with Samoa Joe.

FTW is in Sparta, IL on Saturday 6/16.

NWA Central States has a show in southern Missouri on Saturday with Dingo vs. Michael Strider...they were supposed to have an NWA World Title tournament match but, well, Missouri State Athletic Commission and all that.

UWA is in Dupo, IL on Saturday the 23rd.

-PB

Then: http://www.nwwwo.com/

Now: http://www.tnaw.com/

STL-area wrestling shows this month...

Tonight

MMWA-SICW at the South Broadway Athletic Club

Jeremy Lightfoot vs. Tommy Knight for the Heavyweight Title

Kahyman vs. Waco for the Jr. Heavyweight Title

The Connection(Phil E. Blunt & Jerome Cody) vs. Marshall Law(Wade Garrett & Shawn Santel) for the Tag Team Titles

Saturday 6/16

Full Throttle Wrestling in Mascoutah, IL

Tournament Of Greed

First-Round Matches:

The Searcher vs. Gideon Morbid

Scar vs. Tony Angel

Chico Es Loco vs. Curtis Payne

Xavier Frost vs. Xander Frost

MMWA-SICW in East Carondelet, IL

Gary Jackson vs. Saladin in a strap match

Friday 6/22

GCW in Overland, MO

Gateway Rumble

Cameron Cage vs. Cabal - Heavyweight Title

Steven Kennedy vs. Michael Serious - Light Heavyweight Title - Best-Of-3-Falls

The Ego Express vs. Kevin X & Shorty Biggs - Tag Team Titles

Jeremy Wyatt vs. Tyler Cook

Trent Stone vs. Jackal

Sean Vincent vs. Eric Allen

Saturday 6/23

GCW in Mt. Vernon, IL

Kevin X vs. Trent Stone - Last Man Standing Match

Cameron Cage vs. Cabal - Heavyweight Title

The Ego Express vs. Shorty Biggs & Jackal - Tag Team Titles

Sean Vincent vs. Jeremy Wyatt vs. Tyler Cook

Jynx vs. Rebecca Raze

Eric Allen vs. Red McAlister

Chaz Wesson vs. Curtis Wylde

UWA in Dupo, IL

No matches announced

Saturday 6/30

LWA in House Springs, MO

SAMOA JOE vs. Dorian Victor

Michael Strider vs. Adam Raw

Gary The Barnowl & Pierre Abernathy vs. Nick Tyson & Dingo

Evan Gelistico vs. Jeremy Wyatt

Guest Entreri
Saturday 6/30

LWA in House Springs, MO

SAMOA JOE vs. Dorian Victor

Michael Strider vs. Adam Raw

Gary The Barnowl & Pierre Abernathy vs. Nick Tyson & Dingo

Evan Gelistico vs. Jeremy Wyatt

I'll be at this show, the first I'll ever see live. :)

Even without Samoa Joe there(I heard it was transportation problems), LWA put on a tremendous show last night. I've been going to a LOT more indy shows lately...five total in the month of June.

-PB

Official word from Big Ben taken from the GCW Message Board

Hello GCW Fans and Friends.

Well, this is a post that I had hoped to never make, but it is time. As of Tuesday night, the doors at GCW are officially closed.

There are many reasons why, but I'll stick to the most important ones.

This is one of the only businesses that I know of where the cream does not always rise to the top and the things that people do to themselves and others around them to move just a little farther up the ladder of success is horrible. Many people will do anything- right or wrong- to make it to the top, only to find out that they don't like being there and can't wait to get out. Most wrestlers get into the business for the love of it, because there isn't a lot of money in it at this level and here is the biggest reason the doors are closing: I personally no longer have any love or passion for the business of wrestling. I can make excuses for a lot of things when it comes to wrestling but when there is no longer any love in my heart for what I am doing, it's not worth it anymore. I also felt that it wasn't fair to the GCW wrestlers or the fans.

As of late, I don't see the business as I did so long ago. I don't like where or the way wrestling is going. I don't like what people have to do to get to the upper levels and I really don't like what they have to do to stay there. Talent and experience help, but without HEART, you will never make it in wrestling. I have left blood, sweat and tears across this country and did it willingly and joyfully but right now, just thinking about wrestling makes me sick. I no longer feel the passion that I once did for wrestling and therefore can no longer, in good conscience, continue with GCW because the boys and the fans deserve better.

I would like to address the Chris Benoit issue by saying that it hit me hard, I knew them all. It's difficult for me to sit here and tell you that he was a nice guy and loved his family after what happened, but the Benoit I knew was and did. We'll never know what led up to their deaths. The only way I could make sense of it all was to try and remember the good times.

It wasn't until John Kronus died that I sat down and started counting friends that I made through wrestling that are now gone. The list is long, too long, and with all of the other B.S. that is happening with wrestling right now, I realized that I just couldn't continue.

Rocco Roc told me once, "This is an expensive hobby until you make it to the top." For a long time now I tried to live by the Foley theory of, "The day you quit is the day before you get your big break." Unfortunately, I have felt like I was at that day many times but never quite made to the "big break".

Fortunately, over the past seventeen years, there have been a lot of good times and great memories that also came with my wrestling career that I wouldn't trade for anything: being at ECW's Night the Line was Crossed Again- hands down one of the best shows ever- ECW's first PPV, AF'NO 10 - the last show at the garage-, Doing it for Floyd, The Gateway Challenge, Terry Funk's Retirement (insert joke here), the one down in Texas, and watching Delirious, Billy McNeil, MsChif and Daizee Haze all take their next steps in the world of wrestling at TNA. I have many others, but these are the ones that I think about the most.

I have always done my best to look out for the men and women of GCW and always respected the fans enough to put the best out there for them because in the end, it's all about the fans.

I would like to thank every fan that thought GCW was worth $10 and 2 hours of their time. Please believe me when I say that when a fan would come up after the show and say, "Hey, great match," it made the long (and painful) ride home worth while.

"THANK YOU" to everyone that worked for GCW: Wrestlers, Security, Concessions, Cameramen, Merchandise sales and anyone else who helped the fans enjoy the show that much more.

The message board will be back up until the end of the month, that way the boys and the fans can say goodbye and I am sure that the delinquents will start their B.S. but that's just a part of the business now. After that, the website will be no more.

I don't know LWA's website but I'm sure Justin Tool will be on here with it soon. I hope that a lot of the GCW workers wind up there and a new tradition is started.

I hope that GCW fans will continue to support good wrestling. The only way to stop bad wrestling is to stop going to it and/ or watching it.

I am sorry that there won't be one last show but I did not want to send the wrong message or create false hope for anyone.

For the first time in many years, I have no idea what's next for me but I'm looking forward to a fresh start. I think that I will do my best to think only about the good times and good friends that I've made in and out of the ring during GCW's run.

Once again, a big THANK YOU to all of the workers at GCW, I wish I could have done more for you.

A heartfelt THANK YOU goes out to all of the fans- actually the FRIENDS- of GCW, because as I have said before YOU made it all worthwhile.

I wish the best for you and your families and Thank You for letting us be a part of your life.

Big Ben