TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 71

UFC71.jpg

Main Event for the UFC Light-Heavyweight Championship: Quinton Jackson vs Chuck Liddell

Rumoured fights:

Josh Burkman vs Karo Parysian, Terry Martin vs Ivan Salaverry, Chris Leben vs Kalib Starnes, Sean Salmon vs Eric Schafer.

It's odd that this show's being made given Rampage's comments after the Eastman fight but business-wise this works because it allows for the loser to get a comeback fight in, possibly leading up to a NYE showdown.

Solid yeah but not exactly lighting me on fire.

And already? Jesus - it's not like Rampage destroyed Eastman. With that said... hell yeah. I can't wait.

I'll be cheering for Rampage, although I still think Chuck is gonna house him.

STARNES FACES LEBEN AT UFC 71

BC Fighter Training With Nogueira and American Top Team in Preparation for May 26 Event

By Mike Russell

Canadian Kalib Starnes (7-1-1) will face fellow “The Ultimate Fighter” alumnus Chris “The Crippler” Leben (16-3-0) at UFC 71 “Liddell vs. Jackson” May 26 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, NV.

TUF 3 vet Starnes, 31, confirmed the middleweight match-up from American Top Team’s Coconut Creek, Florida training facility where he is preparing for his upcoming fight, indicating that the contracts have been signed and he is raring to go.

“Leben’s a good striker,” said Starnes of his Oregon-based fighter’s unconventional style. “Obviously, working with Team Quest he’s a really decent grappler and his submission skills are getting better all the time,” said Starnes. “His stand-up is really unorthodox and unpredictable. I’ve been working my kickboxing two hours every day since my loss to Yushin Okami and I’m now to the point where I can hang with anyone sparring.”

A member of highly regarded Canadian Revolution Fight Team, which recently added journeyman Brazilian fighter Jose “Pele” Landi-Jons to its roster, the Surrey, British Columbia native felt that moving his camp to Florida would pay off in Octagon dividends come May.

“The guys here at American Top team are great,” said Starnes. “This is the best camp I’ve ever had preparing for a fight. I’m working with [bJJ coach] Ricardo Liborio, [boxing coach] Howard Davis and sparring with guys like Marcus Aurelio, Wilson Gouveia, Thiago Alves, Denis Kang and Minotauro [Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira]. I get up and come here and spar with Minotauro. It doesn’t get much better than that. Our gym [Revolution Fight Team] is great but I’m the top fighter there and you don’t get better unless you train with better fighters so this has been great for me. Pele just joined our team which has been excellent but I knew coming here would really help my game.”

Although some fighters might consider a seven-month layoff from fighting to be a detriment to their training, Starnes’ body told him that it would need to repair before allowing him back into the Octagon – he suffered a broken nose in his Oct. 2006 UFC 64 fight with Okami and harbored another serious injury coming into the match that hindered his training. Part of his absence was ordered by the Nevada State Athletic Commission as a result of his loss.

“Even though I wasn’t unconscious they ruled it a TKO and I was put on a mandatory three-month medical suspension. I was fighting with another injury that didn’t allow me to train 100% so the time off allowed me to heal up,” Starnes explains “I’m not making any excuses for the loss, I’m just glad to be training 100% healthy this time. It makes a real difference.”

Leben is coming off a submission loss to Canadian Jason MacDonald at Dec. 30’s UFC 66. Starnes defeated Alberta’s MacDonald in a 2005 bout by first round TKO.

-Fightnetwork.

Don't love the undercard at first glance, but this seems like Chuck's first serious threat in a while

Well his 1st striking threat in a while thats for sure.

I'll be rooting for 'Page with all my heart but it's difficult to look at Rampage 2003 and Rampage 2007 and call them the same fighter. Tough fight for Chuck though, Quinton is a great boxer, can take a shot and is very good at blocking them as well. The last time Chuck faced a fighter who's primarily a striker (and a black one at that) was Vernon White @ UFC 49 and while he still KO'd him he got caught enough times to give me hope that Rampage can find an opening.

Don't love the undercard at first glance, but this seems like Chuck's first serious threat in a while

Right, I guess you could consider Randy and even Horn serious threats at the time. But this is the first time I really think he could lose the belt. I never gave Tito a chance the second time around, especially after he...ahem "beat" Forrest

Right, I guess you could consider Randy and even Horn serious threats at the time. But this is the first time I really think he could lose the belt. I never gave Tito a chance the second time around, especially after he...ahem "beat" Forrest

No need for the quotation marks, I thought Tito beat Forrest clearly. If it wasn't for biased commentating, none of this controversial desicion discussions would even be brought up.

Either way Quinton Jackson has the right style to beat Chuck Liddell, but right now Chuck's confidence is at an all time high, and Quinton's confidence is very questionable. I thought he looked pretty good against Eastman, although most would disagree. I never saw him have any real trouble with Eastman and almost knocked him out in the 1st round. He was throwing really nice looking uppercuts in the fight.

Quinton's main focus in training is going to be his boxing and cardio, I can't see him spending much time with wrestling or grappling, because he has the stand up skills to beat Chuck, if his head is in the game.

Can't wait for this fight, Rampage is my all time favorite MMA fighter, and I hope to god he wins it.

Card is complete:

Main Event for the UFC Light-Heavyweight Championship: Chuck Liddell vs Quinton Jackson

Josh Burkman vs Karo Parysian (Main Card)

Keith Jardine vs Houston Alexander (Main Card)

Din Thomas vs Jeremy Stephens (Main Card)

Ivan Salaverry vs Terry Martin (Main Card/Swing Bout)

Kalib Starnes vs Chris Leben (Main Card/Swing Bout)

Sean Salmon vs Eric Schafer (Undercard)

Thiago Silva vs James Irvin (Possibly Swing Bout, likely not)

Carmello Marrero vs Wilson Gouveia (Undercard)

Outside of the main event and Karo/Burkman there isn't a whole lot to get excited over. Jardine going from demolishing Forrest to fighting a guy nobody knows anything about feels like a step down. Din is a solid fighter who usually puts on a good show and Starnes will likely die a horrible death against Leben unless he can get it to the ground and go Athlete on him.

But get your cartwheels and kisses ready. Salaverry in the house.

I disagree with you completely. Leben vs. Starnes should be loads of fun (watch Starnes murder Leben, no lie). Salaverry vs. Martin should be real good, Salaverry is a world class MW who sometimes has the tendency to back off a little bit, but Martin is a gamer with HUUUUGE power so Salaverry will be brought into the fight no problem. Those are four good-great fights out of a possible five on the main card, and there is lots of potential in some of the undercard bouts, especially since Schafer will come in better shape this time and be able to impose his game more. We know Salmon is a great wrestler considering what he did to Evans so this should be a good grappling match. I don't think I need to sell anyone on Silva vs. Irvin.

I am disappointed about Jardine, but apparently nobody wants to fight him and man up. Hardly the UFC's fault with that one.

While the undercard has shaped up alright, there isn't a second money fight on the card. While Karo and Josh could be a hell of a fight, neither is a big name really.

Starnes will likely die a horrible death against Leben unless he can get it to the ground and go Athlete on him.

Leben does not have better stand-up than Starnes. But Leben has a solid chin and will fight to the death, so it will be an interesting fight for Starnes.

Kalib is a much more talented fighter then Chris Leben, it's not even funny, but Starnes heart is in question, espically after the Okami fight, so it will be interesting.

Kalib is a much more talented fighter then Chris Leben, it's not even funny, but Starnes heart is in question, espically after the Okami fight, so it will be interesting.

Hopefully training with ATT helps him beat up Leben.

Yeah and the weighins are going to be live on ESPN.

I can hear Jim Lampley softly sobbing somewhere...

If the fight was judged based on who looked better at 205 then Rampage would win hands down. Perfect frame for 205 but Chuck was sporting a GUT at the weigh-in today.

I watched it on ESPN news, which was cool. They are also having post-show coverage on ESPN news after the show on Saturday, including highlights, so that's something to keep a heads up on for those who might be getting the show.

It's sad/funny to watch the guys on Around the Horn and PTI talk about UFC because they know nothing about it, but it's nice to see ESPN go all out with their entry into UFC coverage.

I really, really, REALLY want Chuck to win, but in the past couple of days I've been leaning toward Rampage.

I've seen ads for this all over the city, and full page ads in the paper. I can't remember the last time a main event has garnered this much hype. Should be an awesome night.

I am going to have a packed house for this event. I am still not too sure who I want to pick as this is a fight that can go either way and you can't really go wrong picking either guy.

I'm going to be ordering this one tonight and after numerous debates with people I'm still backing Jackson- but, really, I'm just hoping this fight (hell, the others too) are entertaining.

For shits and giggles: Next-to-Uninformed Prediction-

Jackson versus Liddell- Jackson, I'm thinking a TKO in the second round (he catches Chuck and pounces on him for the stoppage)

Martin versus Salaverry- I'm pretty ambivalent towards this one but I'll go with Salaverry.

Burkman versus Parisyan- I'm pretty damn biased towards The Heat.

Jardine versus Alexander- Jardine.

Starnes versus Leben- Hopefully Starnes since I can't stand Leben.

Silva versus Irvin- I don't have a preference or thought as to who wins, I'm just hoping it'll be enteratining.

Salmon versus Belcher- Belcher and, if we're lucky enough, maybe Salmon will eat another kick to knock him out, leaving another segment for the highlight reels.

Thomas versus Stephens- Din.

Marerro versus Gouveia- Here's where that whole uninformed thing comes into play, I don't know much about Marerro.

I really, really, REALLY want Chuck to win, but in the past couple of days I've been leaning toward Rampage.

I've seen ads for this all over the city, and full page ads in the paper. I can't remember the last time a main event has garnered this much hype. Should be an awesome night.

Don't be silly.

Nobody wants Chuck to win.

I do, but I don't think he will at this point just because of the first fight and everyone riding Rampage's jock is making me nervous. If you think about it, based on their past few fights Liddell should win, but I'll be damned if that's getting enough talk in the discussion here.

I'm pulling for Chuck 110%.

My brain is telling me that you'd have to be completely and utterly fucking retarded to bet against Chuck.

Maybe if this was another grappler with bad stand up, then yes you would be right. But Rampage would be a very good bet for this fight, because he has the right style and tools to defeat Chuck.

Chuck has improved since their 1st fights, but I still feel his stand up hasn't been tested since he fought Vernon White(who is nothing to be bragging about). Tito's and Babalu's stand up is crap, Couture isn't an idiot on his feet but striking certainly isn't his strength.

I think Rampage gots this, I really believe it's his fight to lose.