TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 71

I was indifferent as far as who I wanted to win until everybody in the crowd started picking Liddell and all these sports writers suddenly touting Chuck as the greatest MMA fighter, EVEN MENTIONING FEDOR IN THE SAME ARTICLE.

Hopefully people will start watching some older stuff so they can get to know people besides those in the UFC.

Was an AWESOME fight althought too short

Both guys looked nervous as hell but Chuck much more.

Randy usually gets it right, foreshadowing Chuck leaving his left hand out there to stare at it and catch guys with a looping left, then at at that split second Jackson tags him with a looping right. Any other dude and it wouldve been a one punch knockout.

The last 20 seconds are playing all OVER ESPN. I wouldve thought that would kill replay buys.I cant believe they would allow that.

Im all for competitive fights but i'd also to see a champ win on their first title defense. Seems like ages since i've seen that. Hopefully both Rampage and Randy win their next fights.

I like Liddell, I like Jackson, so I really didn't care who won. Would have been nice to see it go longer and each guy get to do more though.

Titles are changing hands at an alarming rate now. Wonder who the guy to bring stability back is going to be. Middle weight is pretty heavy, so I don't even know if Anderson can do it

Most likely. 75 is in England and UFC isn't going to throw away Hendo/Jackson on that card so it'll either be 76 in October or 77 in November. It more or less hinges on when UFC books their New Jersey show because Serra/Hughes will be headlining that one.

That picture in Mik's signature is fucking epic.

Press Conference notes......

- Sellout crowd with a 4.3 mil gate

- Dana said that they just acquired PRIDE officially yesterday or the day before

- Mentioned Wanderlei in September as a possible return fight for Chuck but that might not work considering Wandy is taking a year off to recoup and train. UFC would likely throw a shitload of cash at him for coming back early.

- Talked about how nobody would ever think that Rampage vs Henderson would decide who's the best 205-er in the world

- Mentioned that they are still working on getting Fedor

- Said he respects the PRIDE champions because they worked to win their belts and that Rampage/Hendo won't be unification, the winner will just hold two belts (or in Dans case, three)

- A reporter asked Rampage to walk the media through the right hand that ended it. Rampage stared at the guy like he was retarded and asked "What? You didn't see the fight? Next time watch the fight."

I disagree with the assessment that Tito's striking is crap, he's got very good technique with that Don House style of keeping one hand far in front of the other. In the second Chuck fight he actually was doing a decent job of defending himself while tagging Chuck at times, and while Forrest isn't exactly world class he's still got good striking as well, and Tito outstruck him too. His problem like it always has been is that he doesn't respond well to pressure, and when someoen turns up the heat he folds.

Anyway, I knew that would happen, but I still like Rampage so I don't mind. Hopefully Wanderlei comes to the UFC this year and we get to see that fight. Much like Wanderlei has the style to beat Rampage, who has the style to beat Chuck, I think Chuck has the style to beat Wanderlei.

Glad to see Kalib Starnes take it to Leben, too many people were talking shit about the guy and he showed that the no-heart crap was bullshit. Even with shitty cardio due to smoking too much pot, the guy still managed to fight the whole fight.

What was up with Keith Jardine's style? The guy fought like he was a retard. Still, he caught Forrest with a lucky shot after getting outstruck for the majority of the fight, so this shouldn't be that surprising. Tough dude though, he took like thirteen shots and kept coming back. That fight was stopped way too late.

LA Times.com

Liddell got $500,000 while Jackson got $450,000, which includes a $225,000 winners bonus.

As for the PPV itself, it was great stuff. What more can you say about the main event? It might not have delivered from a quality standpoint, but it was still very exciting. Jackson just knocked Liddell silly and Liddell's expression was indeed priceless. Jardine getting destroyed was awesome. An all-round great event and any first time viewers who bought this PPV were surely made fans for a life, or at least the next few PPV's, after this one.

Chuck was a victim of his fighting style last night. I mean he said it himself, he doesn't train any different for different fighters. Rampage on the other hand seemingly trained specifically for Chuck's style, as you could see the entire time(well as short as it was) he was pressing Chuck, but would usually let Chuck throw the first wailing punch, and then just hunch and block it while throwing a counter punch. It didn't take very long for his training to take effect and he just knocked Chuck silly........Wow.

As far as the party at my house went. Well, we had the 7 regulars who always come over for Wrestling/MMA, plus about 12 newbies, two of which are big MMA fans, and the other 10, this was their first big MMA show as far as PPV goes. This was the biggest gathering I've ever had at my house for a sporting event, wrestling/boxing/mma. I literally was running out of chairs and room. I looked around the room at one point and was just like "Damn" I'd say by the reaction of everyone(all PPV long, not just the main event) that this show made some fans for life. They are already ready to watch Jackson/Henderson even though they know nothing about Henderson, and have only seen Jackson in action once and highlight footage of his other fight with Liddell. So yeah, UFC is getting it's message out to the masses, I'd say. The thing is, the main event probably went the way marketing would want it to go, because everyone at my house, even the ones who know shit about MMA knew who Liddell was, and they heard through the grapevine that he was fighting a guy that beat him and was also a badass. So they all come to see it, and then Jackson knocks him out, making himself a bigger star in the process, so now all these newbies have another name to throw around. Also, the Dan Henderson highlights at the end helped leave an impression on them.

What was up with Keith Jardine's style? The guy fought like he was a retard. Still, he caught Forrest with a lucky shot after getting outstruck for the majority of the fight, so this shouldn't be that surprising. Tough dude though, he took like thirteen shots and kept coming back. That fight was stopped way too late.

Jardine isn't a good striker really at all apart from his leg kicks. He has KO power in his hands, but he has no real technique, and is a shoulder puncher. While Alexander had really good technique, and looked like a pro boxer out there. I like to see Alexander fight a grappler his next fight.

I had a lot of my homies at my crib for the fight, and everyone single person enjoyed the card.

So who's next to make the jump into the octagon?

Whoever they choose pretty much. Zuffa is basically in control of the MMA world.

I personally think they'll start Shogun off w/ a jobber just so people can get to know him.

I'm glad Dana mentioned Fedor because if Randy beats Gonzaga and whoever challenger comes next I'd like to see him finish his 4 fight contract and career by losing his belt to Fedor. Consider that a pipe dream.

Yeah, I know about the PRIDE buy-out but I'm still curious who's next to debut. It'd be delicious if Fedor was the next to join the ranks.

Jardine isn't a good striker really at all apart from his leg kicks. He has KO power in his hands, but he has no real technique, and is a shoulder puncher. While Alexander had really good technique, and looked like a pro boxer out there. I like to see Alexander fight a grappler his next fight.

I had a lot of my homies at my crib for the fight, and everyone single person enjoyed the card.

Yeah that's what I'm saying, the guy seems to wing his punches and was lucky that his KO power was enough to knock Forrest out to make up for the lack of technique, he was getting tagged at will in that fight.

Would you rate Houston's technique highly? It seemed to me that he was basically just overpowering him with an arm collar clinch and just smashing his head. More dirty boxing than anything else, he didn't really show any great technique or anything, just grabbed him in the clinch and wailed away.

Doesn't help that it was short enough of a fight where we can't really judge, if nothing else he had some power in those hands.

Chuck has one of the best "Whahappened?" faces after he gets up. Tremendous.

he sure did, i mean i laughed so hard at seeing that look on his face. absolutely CLASSIC.

I marked out huge for rampage winning. I like Chuck BUT i sort of got tired of this idea that he was untouchable and unbeatable. i've wanted to see him get knocked out for a while now just to see how he responds. he loses so rarely that when he does its hugely entertaining and considering the hype and praises he always gets from everyone all the time, he needed to be humbled a bit imo. its even more impressive after all the talk of him getting revenge on those who he lost to before, there is now one individual that is 2 and 0 against him.

im not sure why anyone is so shocked at the outcome of the jardine fight. this guy has never impressed me and i think his win against forrest was more of a fluke than anything else so he had become way over rated. hes going to fade into irrelevancy soon enough.