TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

Top WWE wrestlers named in SI steroid investigation.

Trevor Murdoch should be safe. Of the main guys the only guys who look mostly normal are Kennedy & Finlay. But honestly, this is wrestling, we shouldn't be surprised no matter who gets linked to something like this.

Apparently They're Doing Wellness Tests Today

In an interesting bit of timing, there were quite a few Wellness tests given backstage at today's ECW/Smackdown taping in Cleveland, Ohio. One source estimated over two dozen WWE performers were given urine tests this afternoon. Since WWE doesn't give talent advance notice, there's no way to know whether the testing was already planned when the SI.com article naming several talents implicated in the steroid investigation broke yesterday afternoon. That said, it's entirely conceivable that a larger number of performers were admininstered tests in the wake of all the media attention.

And didn't Vince try to bury Orton on TV before when he was injured with the comments he made? People looking to blame WWE can look at that.

yep, I remember that....told him his neck looked like a "stack of dimes"

Don't forget the "lesson" they taught Chris Masters.

He was put into rehab for Wellness Policy violations and came out, um, about 1/3 of the man he went in as.

When he got back on TV he got jobbed out repeatedly, mocked in commentary, and even HHH laughed at his physique in a backstage skit. Nothing like sending the message loud and clear that if you go off the juice, you're not long for the company

And didn't Vince try to bury Orton on TV before when he was injured with the comments he made? People looking to blame WWE can look at that.

yep, I remember that....told him his neck looked like a "stack of dimes"

Don't forget the "lesson" they taught Chris Masters.

He was put into rehab for Wellness Policy violations and came out, um, about 1/3 of the man he went in as.

When he got back on TV he got jobbed out repeatedly, mocked in commentary, and even HHH laughed at his physique in a backstage skit. Nothing like sending the message loud and clear that if you go off the juice, you're not long for the company

That could be taken either way. Was Masters mocked and buried because he was small or because of the wellness policy violation?

He was clearly mocked because he was so much smaller. They made direct mention to it many times.

If anything they should have not mentioned it at all, or brought him back in with a slightly altered gimmick, something, anything but flat out mocking the fact that he's now back, and a lot smaller physically.

Once he started getting bigger once again, they stopped mocking him and allowed him to go back to where he was before.

Things don't sound so good on PTI.

THE EDGE was named. I want to know who this THE EDGE fellow is. He sounds exciting.

ESPN's phrasing was so nice. "A number of wrestlers have died because of steroid abuse, but the question is should we really care that wrestlers use steroids?"

Nah, people dying is fun.

THE EDGE was named. I want to know who this THE EDGE fellow is. He sounds exciting.

ESPN's phrasing was so nice. "A number of wrestlers have died because of steroid abuse, but the question is should we really care that wrestlers use steroids?"

At least the PTI guys didn't act that way. They kept it to "should anyone be surprised?"

Also, I'd laugh if Trump's people talked him out of doing WM because of all the negative press.

I took it as "we know that this isn't a legitimate sport, but we're reporting it because of the number of guys that have died too young as a result of steroid related effects".

Considering it's not a legitimate competition, it's on the wrestlers (and pretty much any athlete) to make the decision on steroid use. I don't care as much when people die due to those effects, so sue me. They make their own decision, they can live or die with it.

Yeah, WWE's policy is so hypocritical. It's basically "You should use steroids, just don't get caught. Don't worry, though, if you end up dying from it, we'll put out a memorial DVD and the guys will wear black armbands with your initials to honor you for a couple weeks."

They keep refering to Helms as the "Hurricane" in all the stories. When was it that he turned heel?

If you didn't know anything about wrestling and did a search on "Shane Helms" "The Hurricane" is going to come up.

Yeah, WWE's policy is so hypocritical. It's basically "You should use steroids, just don't get caught. Don't worry, though, if you end up dying from it, we'll put out a memorial DVD and the guys will wear black armbands with your initials to honor you for a couple weeks."

Exactly.

How about preventing the guy from making that life-changing decision (steroid use) in the first place. Don't expect me to shed tears over your stupidity.

Guest reality1480

Wow the guitarist guy from U2 does steroids I had no idea.

ESPN Radio has been all over this story today. Crazy to hear names like "Randy Orton" and "Adam Copeland" being dropped on sports radio. Of course, right around WM time.

If anything, might be time to push Punk since it'd be a good sell to the media

"Hey, our top guy is 6'1 and is obviously in need of roids but he's anti-drugs, people".

Guest robrabies

Orton wrestled 189 in High School in Missouri. He's obviously put on 40+ pounds of muscle....

If I were guessing who's clean, I'd say HBK (he looks scrawny compared to 1998) Big Vis, Punk, and Maria.

Oh and Snitsky.

Dude, Bobby Lashley wrestled 177 in college in 1998, and after in the Army in the early 2000s at 210. If you really think he's not on anything, you have no idea what you're talking about.

You're right, I don't. I just thought he might be clean, knowing nothing more about the guy than the last few months on TV.

I know this is a major story, but I really think that it could become a business changing story. The Wellness policy was obviously on the way out. If this story had not broken then I doubt we ever would have seen a major round of tests again. If Edge or Orton were scheduled to win at Mania I bet that is out the window now. You can probably count on April - May being big months for suspensions now. Any of your wrestlers without traditional "bodies" (Jeff Hardy, CM Punk, Finlay, etc.) could be in line for some pushes now.

Or it could just blow over in a week...

I do find it humorous that nobody has mentioned Benoit in all this "Who's taking 'roids" thing in this thread yet. Too obvious, I guess. A couple of guys i wonder about in wrestling in the past: Goldberg (who was NFL size before, so I'm not sure) and Brock (who looks like he certainly was, but I'd like to see his college wrestling weight compared to his WWE weight, if anyone knows).

I'd be damn surprised if Taker isn't using steroids to be the most muscular he's ever been currently at his age. Something tells me even if he were busted with the Wellness program, that he'd still get paid.

Oh, and of the ECW guys, I'd be surprised if Sandman wasn't using steroids for awhile (he got really big for him, compared to himself in the 90s).

Don't forget "We'll also hire your widow on to do an angle with one of our half-assed heels that will totally piss all over your name."

I know this is a major story, but I really think that it could become a business changing story. The Wellness policy was obviously on the way out. If this story had not broken then I doubt we ever would have seen a major round of tests again. If Edge or Orton were scheduled to win at Mania I bet that is out the window now. You can probably count on April - May being big months for suspensions now. Any of your wrestlers without traditional "bodies" (Jeff Hardy, CM Punk, Finlay, etc.) could be in line for some pushes now.

Or it could just blow over in a week...

Why would Edge and Orton get punished for something that happened 2 years ago? Seems silly to punish them for past deeds...

I do find it humorous that nobody has mentioned Benoit in all this "Who's taking 'roids" thing in this thread yet. Too obvious, I guess. A couple of guys i wonder about in wrestling in the past: Goldberg (who was NFL size before, so I'm not sure) and Brock (who looks like he certainly was, but I'd like to see his college wrestling weight compared to his WWE weight, if anyone knows).

I'd be damn surprised if Taker isn't using steroids to be the most muscular he's ever been currently at his age. Something tells me even if he were busted with the Wellness program, that he'd still get paid.

Oh, and of the ECW guys, I'd be surprised if Sandman wasn't using steroids for awhile (he got really big for him, compared to himself in the 90s).

I am not sure what Lesnar's weight was in college, but he wrestled JUCO where I lived and even then the guy was a beast. People at Bismarck State College told stories where he practically lived in the weight room. That and he would carry full kegs of beer over his shoulder for parties.

I am not sure what Lesnar's weight was in college, but he wrestled JUCO where I lived and even then the guy was a beast. People at Bismarck State College told stories where he practically lived in the weight room. That and he would carry full kegs of beer over his shoulder for parties.

Yeah, everything picture I've seen of him in college shows him to be looking literally as strong as an ox. But when he won king on the ring/Summer slam in 2002, he had muscle on top of muscle (look at his extremely defined pecs, esp. upper from lower pecs when he beats the rock) and i have a hard time convincing myself that anyone can look like that naturally. He's not totally freakish like Lashley, but it's impressive.

Anyways, anyone else realize why this particular report on wrestlers in the scandal was a top story on ESPN? That with Monday night raw as its main compettitor opposite the millions dumped in by ESPN to Monday Night football, it's trying to make it's compettiton look bad and thus gain more of an audience (yes, I know, the ratings for MNF>>Monday Night Raw). Really, if ESPN doesn't have MNF, it's like the 5th or 6th story at best.