TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampiro69

Going to Washington D.C

At the start of April I am taking 3 of my students down to D.C to participate in a program called Close Up. This is going to be my first time going their for this program. Has anyone ever gone on this school trip program before? If so, do any of you have suggestions of what to do? I do know that on April 2 I am going to the opening day ball game of the the Nationals-Marlins.

What else takes place on those days?

At the start of April I am taking 3 of my students down to D.C to participate in a program called Close Up. This is going to be my first time going their for this program.

I hope they're not your English students...

*I pondered whether or not to submit this post for fear of it being too smart-alecky. Please excuse me.

Why, you'll be here just in time for the Annual Cherry Blossom Festival!

In all seriousness, I don't think there's really anything special going down besides opening day. We sure do have a lot of buildings and monuments to go stare at, though.

The only thing I really remember from my tenure in DC (from 88-92), beyond monuments and museums was Georgetown. Is it still nice or has it become as shitty as the rest of the city?

Georgetown remains gorgeous, and the rest of the city is tremendously cleaned up too. Gentrification like whoa since '92. You'll still get your ass robbed on the outskirts, but areas that were mostly drug dens 15 years ago sport $400,000 condos now. I still live outside the city, but moving inside is at least modestly palatable.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Bums still everywhere? I haven't been to DC since the 7th grade.

I went to DC about two years ago and was absolutely disgusted at the state of the city. Since you're taking students down there for a program, it should be okay, but this place is absolute ass for non-education oriented tourism now.

We wound up going to some marina in Maryland and having way way more fun.

We have some good ones right by my office. There's this one guy who lies on a little courtyard shelf all day no matter what the weather is, and occasionally barks at children. And right outside the Archives metro stop, there's this guy who always says "Rule #2--let the women get what they want!" He also yells at people for being white. My favorite is probably the extremely skinny woman with a crustache who hangs out in front of our building protesting the FBI. We're next door to the FBI building, but the FBI people told her she had to leave, so I guess the next logical solution was to protest the FBI near the FBI building. She doesn't wear a sandwich board or anything, or hand out flyers, just walks around and occasionally mumbles.

We have some good ones right by my office. There's this one guy who lies on a little courtyard shelf all day no matter what the weather is, and occasionally barks at children. And right outside the Archives metro stop, there's this guy who always says "Rule #2--let the women get what they want!" He also yells at people for being white. My favorite is probably the extremely skinny woman with a crustache who hangs out in front of our building protesting the FBI. We're next door to the FBI building, but the FBI people told her she had to leave, so I guess the next logical solution was to protest the FBI near the FBI building. She doesn't wear a sandwich board or anything, or hand out flyers, just walks around and occasionally mumbles.

You'd think the FBI would find a suitable method to eliminate that annoyance.

At the start of April I am taking 3 of my students down to D.C to participate in a program called Close Up. This is going to be my first time going their for this program.

I hope they're not your English students...

*I pondered whether or not to submit this post for fear of it being too smart-alecky. Please excuse me.

Whoops, I didn't notice that I used the wrong their/there.

is Springfield Mall still open in Richmond, VA (or was it actually, Springfield, VA, I can't remember)? I always looked forward to Saturdays whenever my dad had to run out that way for shit. They had the two big ass arcades. Time Out and (cleverly enough) Time Out 2. Oh the memories.

I was there six months after 9/11. Everything was tight as hell concerning security wise, especially the Pentagon. I remember one of my class mates wasn't from Canada or United States wasn't allowed to go inside the building even with his passport.

I haven't been in over two years- but yes. D.C. is cleaned up but there's a still plenty of bums.

I don't think I've ever seen more bums than when I was in Baltimore in '05 but D.C. is a close 2nd.

For what it's worth I spent 3 days in DC earlier this month and was shocked and how clean and bum-free it was. I walked around the mall, ventured onto some of the surrounding streets, rode the Metro between Union Station and the Dupont Circle area, and also walked a lot between Dupont and Logan Circles and never once felt unsafe.

I noticed a large decrease in the amount of bums I encountered there in 2004 compared to 1999. I'm not normally that kind of person, but I was kind of freaked out when a guy in a Turban with a briefcase get on the Metro at the Pentagon City stop.