TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Open the Muggy Gate

School bans Myspace in school AND in home.

Guest Queen Leelee

How stupid.

Why don't we just never let kids go outside? Safety first!

Awesome.

MySpace is one of the leading causes of Generation W. The "W" stands for whore because it's made everybody think they're a goddamn celebrity. Somebody tell the horn-rimmed art fag from the wrong side of the tracks that nobody cares about his remix of a MCR song or that his emoticon is set to melancholy.

At school is a no brainer. But at home? While I don't think younger kids *should* have myspace accounts (because as LOTC so eloquently put it, Generation W), it's ridiculous for a school to do a parent's job. If mom and dad don't think their kids should be using MySpace, that's their decision, not the school's.

Banning it at school, I have no problem with. Banning it at home is retarded though. Hell, I hate Myspace, but you can't just ban it outright. Hell, kids will do stupid shit without it anyways, so whats the point?

Catholic schools can have some weird rules. But I'm not getting how the school can completely control your life. I've heard of private schools banning the website but that's fine since the kids still live on campus and it's their call on what they do and don't ban. Not exactly sure how you ban something from the students home use. What's next, the kids can't watch certain programs at home?

Myspace is a cesspool but banning stuff from being allowed to use on their own free time crosses a dangerous line between teaching and outright raising the kid.

Generation W? Fucking stupid.

Man, he's right. I don't necessarily agree with the rest of his post, nor do I care about MySpace, but it's the truth. I don't see how the school could enforce this though, so whatever.

The "W" stands for whore because it's made everybody think they're a goddamn celebrity. Somebody tell the horn-rimmed art fag from the wrong side of the tracks that nobody cares about his remix of a MCR song or that his emoticon is set to melancholy.

I never said anything about sex. And I apologize for saying that I didn't agree with Curry's post, because in reading it again, I agree wtih it whole-heartedly.

Guest Queen Leelee

Myspace gets far too bad of a rep... it's a fucking meeting site. That's all.

Most people only use it to talk to friends. If some stupid kid is going to give out info, get raped by 50 year old men, etc... they'd likely do the same on some other site.

There have always been fucked up kids. MySpace just gives us a disturbing look at said kids. And bad clip art. It's the schools prerogative to ban the site. It's not like the banning of cell phones and iPods.

Wait, wait. Teaches me to post without really reading the article. Schools have NO rights once the kid gets out of school. I don't care WHAT the kid does, schools are not parents. (If the kid is being visibly abused, I think the school should intervene, but that should be the extent of their involvement)

This'll be destroyed if it gets to courts, but that they're even trying to do this makes me sorta depressed.

Banning what people can do in the privacy of their own homes without any actual way to enforce it is hardly a first for a Catholic organization, though.

Myspace gets far too bad of a rep... it's a fucking meeting site. That's all.

Most people only use it to talk to friends. If some stupid kid is going to give out info, get raped by 50 year old men, etc... they'd likely do the same on some other site.

That's one of the more blatant lies you'll tell on this board.

MySpace is awful because it encourages everyone to provide real information about themselves, pictures of themselves tied to their name, etc. All I need is somebody's name and maybe a general guess of where they're living now to know more about them than I should. This includes people from my school years, people whose name appear in the news, even local celebrities. There was a kid here a few months ago who got arrested for causing a violent scene at the airport. I saw his name in the paper, entered it into MySpace, and there was a page where he rambled on diary-style about his mental issues.

It used to be that people were as private with their identity as possible while online. MySpace has changed a lot of that. It is a stalker's dream.

You can set your profile to a private setting & it can only be viewed by friends.

It's still the devil, though.

The next step: the school bans eating fish on Friday on school grounds and at home.

My school has been having fish sandwiches on Friday when they usually have pizzas. I just realized why that is.

The next step: the school bans eating fish on Friday on school grounds and at home.

My school has been having fish sandwiches on Friday when they usually have pizzas. I just realized why that is.

And no one has sued your school yet for violating the separation of church and state?