TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

Where were you the first time you heard

I was...8 or 9. One of those. I heard it first on the radio and then saw the video on TV. I didn't know what 'Coors Light' was. I remember that. I had the cassette single, but not the full CD. Not even Rascal Flatts' cover version can diminish the greatness of "Life is a Highway". I remember it was my second favorite song of the year, behind "I Love You Period" by Dan Baird who was the lead singer of the Georgia Satellites.

Oh man, I remember listening to this song when I was 6. I danced to this song, like I've never danced before.

I just can't believe the people posting on youtube saying that the Rascal Flatts version is better than this.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I was on the school bus, and had a wiry rough bitch for a driver that would loudly sing along with the song mentioned, as well as Sheryl Crow's debut, and any/all Mellencamp.

Apparently Tom Cochrane is still pretty successful in Canada. Can any Canucks confirm or deny this?

He still releases records, not as big as he was in the 90's though obvz

First time I heard Life is a Highway was in a beer ad when i was about 11 or 12. Was a huge Tom Cochrane fan after that

I remembering seeing this on some ad for a mid-90s compilation ad, and then thinking, "Wow, I've heard this song before, but don't remember when." A few years later, I made up for my early 90s oversight by working at Target during a 3-month period that they played the video endlessly on the Target Video Network in the electronics department.

It used to be used as the music for the local Fox affliate's commercials (This is Fox 51 with KC and The Fox)

I miss KC and The Fox...they used to host the block of cartoons that were on after school way back when I was in Kindergarten (sp?) and 1st Grade. Judging by the low budget production I assume they were just local guys.

Those were the days.

i was 11, watching the vh1 top 20 countdown with rapt attention. who would be number one this week?

the stunning new ingenue celine dion's gently reassuring "if you asked me to"?

the always-provocative george michael's "too funky," with its sampling from 'the graduate' that would take me another five years to recognize, and would make me always associate 'the graduate' with this song?

the deeply-soulful-yet-white michael bolton's elliptical and suspenseful new hit, "said i loved you...but i lied"? (a level of suspense that would go unchallenged in popular music until meat loaf's "i'd do anything for love (but i won't do that).")

i don't remember who won that week, but i do remember in the mid-teens a certain road-as-metaphor-for-existence hit that was light on the pretense and heavy on the denim & harmonica. and i remember it being sung by a certain blonde-haired musical descendant of bob seger and bruce springsteen, a man who, when i close my eyes to try to remember his face, looks exactly like greg "the hammer" valentine.

i will never forget that first time. except that time from 1994 to 2006 when i didn't think about it at all until i heard it in pixar's 'cars'.

this dude can't sing...never noticed before.

I didn't know that Rascal Flatts fans were so vulgar and negative. I thought they all wore frayed jeans, had frosted hair, and smiled alot. Apparently I was wrong...dead wrong.

Waylon Jennings wouldn't stand for it, by God! Neither should Bocephus. Bocephus should come out of hiding and whip all these new country guys asses, yo.

I've been to Country concerts, and its sad seeing people dressed up in straw corona hats, American Eagle or Abercrombie and Fitch shirts, and say they are country fans.

Then you get the real hicks in with denim (dark and dirtier) boots, and the big hats looking at these people weird.