TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RonL21

OAO WrestleMania 23 Thread-April 1st, 2007

maybe it's just my computer...but i sure don't like this new set up for threads...*back to topic*

Im sure there's gonna be some bonus matches...gotta be...

King Booker: 1-3

-X8: Loses to Edge

-XIX: Loses to World Heavyweight Champion Triple H

-XX: As World Tag Team Champion with Rob Van Dam, defeats Mark Jindrak & Garrison Cade, La Resistance and The Dudley Boyz in a Sudden Death Fatal 4-Way Match

I know we'd all like to forget his match with Sharmell and the Boogeyman last year, but he's really 1-4.

Predictions:

Cena vs. Michaels (WWE Title): Probably your MOTN. Crowd should be very pro-HBK and the atmoshpere will be intense. Hopefully Michaels gets to come out the "Sexy Boy" music, because coming out by himself to the DX theme is so lame, even if it sells lots of glowsticks. Cena wins with the FU.

Undertaker vs. Batista (World Title): Probably won't be too good. Should go about 15 minutes. UT wins with the tombstone. He should also get a spectacular entrance with the long ramp this year.

Lashley vs. Umaga (Battle of the Billionaires): Should be a surprisingly decent match. With all the overbooking here, they'd be hard-pressed to outright suck. I expect a fun brawl. Lashley obviously wins. Vince gets his head shaved, but I don't think Trump takes a stunner. Vince might rack up stunner #348095 for his career, though.

MITB: Hopefully this gets more time and goes higher on the card than #2. There's a really wide open field this year with no clear candidate to win. If I had to pick, I'd say Kennedy. There will be some memorable spots as always.

Chris Benoit vs. MVP (US Title): This is probably your curtain jerker. Hopefully it gets at least 15, because it has potential to be really good. I say Benoit gets to retain this year, though it wouldn't surprise me if they do the spontaneous switch like they did with JBL last year.

Melina vs. Ashley (Women's Title): Here's your piss break match. Won't go more than 7 minutes, but will probably still have at least 2 noticeable botches. No way Ashley wins because she's too poor of a wrestler (even by WWE women's division standards) to run with the belt. It's almost a carbon copy of the Trish/Hemme feud from WM 21, but with considerably worse wrestlers.

Khali vs. Kane: It wouldn't surprise me to actually see Kane get the pin here since he's supposed to retire soon. It would be a rare feel-good moment in his career. That said, it's a lot more likely that he'll be head-chopped then risk his life taking Khali's sloppy choke powerbomb. Then he gets pinned with one foot. This will be neck and neck with the women's match for worst of the show.

New Breed vs. Originals: Should just be a quick, cookie-cutter multiman match. Everyone hits their signature moves, NB wins by cheating. Shouldn't be terrible, but it will most likely be very forgettable.

man that Edge vs Booker feud over a shampoo commercial was EPIC.

I totally forgot Chavo was champ I thought Helms still had it. I dont even think he was at the last SD taping before Sunday so there may not be any cruiserweights on the show. I think they left out alot of gimmick/stipulation and title matches to have the 3 main champs mean more but it is a medium sized card. You always looks forward to the heatless matches for a bathroom break or just to kill the crowd, especially the huge arenas. There are actually enough guys off the show to fill 3 battle royals. Not even a midcard grudge match, if the Flair match is still off. Except for the Khali match, I think Vince always has some type of giant/monster match that stinks up a WM cause he thinks they actually draw.

I think the ECW match is elimination instead of one fall but I still dont see that going long. Unless you tell Kane to wrestle for an hour draw and he doesnt run screaming for the building i think MITB will run pretty long, and the haircut will probably have 9 million video intros and replays that will run longer than the match itself.

I did notice there are alot of poor workers spread out through the card and alot of good ones are off the show. HIT the gym you skinny freaks!!

All right, I hardly ever watch wrestling any more, but I've caught snippets of Raw the last couple weeks, and there's a pretty good chance I'll end up watching Wrestlemania. Anyway, here's what I think will end up happening:

Undercard: Oops, don't care. There's not one person I'd enjoy see winning the MITB match and the Trump/Vince thing is just stupid. I suppose the Benoit match will be decent, but w/e.

Batista vs. Undertaker: From my limited viewing, it seems obvious that Batista is done and they need to go in a new direction. I say Undertaker hits the tombstone and Batista kicks out, and then when Batista goes for the Batista bomb later, Undertaker grabs the triangle choke and holds on, eventually forcing Batista to tap. Needs to be a clean finish to contrast with the real main event of the night.

Cena vs. HBK: OK, there absolutely has to be a heel turn here, for the feud to continue, because Raw no longer has any real believable main event heels, and because both wrestlers would be freshened up by a heel turn. I'm pretty sure that the superkick on Raw last week was just to throw people off the scent. HBK will do his best to play heel throughout the match until Cena finally goes for the F-U. After multiple pin/submission attempts where HBK kicks out/gets a foot on the ropes/refuses to tap/gets to the ropes, Cena finally flips out and attacks the referee/gets a weapon to beat HBK with to legitimize the turn. HBK gamely fights off the attack for a while and takes a hell of a bloody beating, but eventually multiple chain/chairshots prevail and Cena gets the pin to retain his title, now as a full-fledged heel going into Backlash.

King Booker: 1-3

-X8: Loses to Edge

-XIX: Loses to World Heavyweight Champion Triple H

-XX: As World Tag Team Champion with Rob Van Dam, defeats Mark Jindrak & Garrison Cade, La Resistance and The Dudley Boyz in a Sudden Death Fatal 4-Way Match

I know we'd all like to forget his match with Sharmell and the Boogeyman last year, but he's really 1-4.

No, he is 1-3, cause he's only won at one of the four WrestleManias he was in (The Pre-21 battle royal doesn't count)

For some reason I just accidentally forgot to include the Handicap Match from last year.

It's edited properly now.

Im going to say that with only 8 matches, it leaves plenty of time for all the matches, but Im willing to bet on Taker beating Batista and then whoever wins MITB challenges him right there and beats him for the Title and ends his streak. I cannot see them letting Batista be the one to end it, even if that was the original plan. I think theres only 2 guys it could be too..Edge (to play up on his undefeated streak at WM) or Mr. Kennedy (it would certainly establish him as a big name).

Im going to say that with only 8 matches, it leaves plenty of time for all the matches, but Im willing to bet on Taker beating Batista and then whoever wins MITB challenges him right there and beats him for the Title and ends his streak. I cannot see them letting Batista be the one to end it, even if that was the original plan. I think theres only 2 guys it could be too..Edge (to play up on his undefeated streak at WM) or Mr. Kennedy (it would certainly establish him as a big name).

I've been predicting this for months... If Edge were to do this, it would be the most awesomely dickish heel move in the history of OUR GREAT BUSINESS!

/end Fat Tony

To do this properly, you'd have to play up Edge being a total coward in the MitB match. Have him duck and cover, hang out on the outside, keep himself from getting too beat up. Have him basically steal the briefcase from Orton, or in a nod to continuity and general dickishness, Matt Hardy, at the end of the match. So, Edge is relatively fresh, and since the MitB is usually at the beginning of Mania or so, he's got plenty of time in the 4 hour show to rest and recoup a bit. Then, Big Dave and Taker have their physical, brutal match, and Taker wins decisively. That's when Edge strikes, spearing Taker at least twice, and winning the WHC in the world's all time ultimate heel move.

I thought I had done enough ranting against that dumbfuck idea a couple of months ago? Must I rant and rave any further to explain why the MITB winner sneaking in to pin UT is an unspeakably bad idea?

Anyway, why do I have this feeling that they will attempt to turn Michaels heel in that match? They are just determined as hell to get Cena over, yet every crowd reception would indicate fans like HBK more. Cena will get booed to high heaven at WM, so why not just turn the guy heel already? It's been needed for well over a year, probably dating back to the Angle feud.

I thought I had done enough ranting against that dumbfuck idea a couple of months ago? Must I rant and rave any further to explain why the MITB winner sneaking in to pin UT is an unspeakably bad idea?

Anyway, why do I have this feeling that they will attempt to turn Michaels heel in that match? They are just determined as hell to get Cena over, yet every crowd reception would indicate fans like HBK more. Cena will get booed to high heaven at WM, so why not just turn the guy heel already? It's been needed for well over a year, probably dating back to the Angle feud.

point A: I agree 100%, the idea is dumb as shit

point B: I also agree 100%...if DX is going to continue to be the main faces once HHH returns on the Raw brand, they'll need more than just Edge and Orton to fart around with.

I would love a Cena heel turn. It would really freshen up his stale character and gimmick. Have him use heel tactics on HBK during the match, and win the title after some brutal chair shots, or something like that. Then the next night on RAW, he can talk about how HBK superkicked him first, and how he was pissed that the fans were supporting Shawn after he cheapshotted him. Maybe even have him throw his World Tag Title belt in the trash for added effect.

The whole problem I'd have with Edge winning the MitB and then attacking 'Taker or whoever after their match is that we've already seen that happen. I know it makes sense logically, but it seems like it would be really repetitive.

Then the next night on RAW, he can talk about how HBK superkicked him first, and how he was pissed that the fans were supporting Shawn after he cheapshotted him. Maybe even have him throw his World Tag Title belt in the trash for added effect.

well in that case, save the heel turn for the next night on Raw during a tag title match against whomever and that is when they finally drop the belts.

Or just not turn Cena. People seem to have a hard on for it here, but I think it would be disasterous given how insanely over he is

Shhhhh, be quiet. Some people here still seem to think Cena is not over at all, let alone insanely over.

I want Cena to win, the next night on Raw I have HBK give an "I lost my smile speech" with subtle heel signs and quit. A few weeks later I have him show up on Smackdown, attacking the champion who I would make Undertaker. He can then give a passionate speech about how Undertaker fucked up his back and cost him 4 of his prime years. I make him bitter and disillusioned with the current product (ie the women and cursing). In other words I make him like Bret was in 97, a man bitter over what the product is, and over how his career turned out.

He can throw down the DX crap and call himself "The Savior" Shawn Michaels. (okay, I know he wouldn't ever call himself that with his beliefs but it makes me laugh thinking about it)

I would love a heel HBK leading the smackdown brand. He can use Punk in his anti sex, drugs and alchole crusade.

quick predictions:

cena over michaels. round 25 minute match

Taker over Batista. probably will go on last and go 15ish

I want to say Punk to win money in the bank but i doubt they will do that just yet. Il go with Kennedy

Lashley over Umaga. brawl from the start. cant see any way Trump would be shaved

ECW new breed will win effectively ending any push for the origanals

Melina to beat Ashley by cheating. toilet break

Kane and Khali will probably go to some double countout or dq. will be short

benoit over MVP. opener to the show, should get a bit of time probably 15 or so

yes, he's over whether people love him or hate him, so why does it matter if he's heel?

Because he's insanely over with kids and drives house shows and merch. That might not happen if he's a heel.

But what does 16-0 mean in a few years when Taker is retired? You've constructed a situation for Taker to give the ultimate rub and wasted it for nothing. Taker retiring with his streak intact doesn't draw you any more money. Pride and legacy don't mean jack shit in wrestling.

It could draw down the road if they give some young kid (or Edge) a few victories at Mania and then he can try to beat Taker's record someday. It's a money match every year for Mania. The marks will pay to see a great heel like Edge possibly get his undefeated streak broken, vice versa for a good face character.

I know that's a long term investment to put into some one in this day and age but there is a chance they will realize they gave somebody like Edge 8 straight wins and take it from there.

I was thinking more about Edge vs Taker, streak vs streak at WM24, and I think if they were to do that, they would need to have Taker win and then either retire before WM25 or lose then to either Kane or someone who is an up and coming star needing that boost into the ME. See, if you have Edge beat Taker at WM24, then Edge still has his streak, and 5 years from now we'll be having this same debate over who should end Edge's streak. Nobody should get a streak like Taker's. It's a huge part of his legacy that should always be there. An option would be to have Edge not win MITB this year and then beat Taker next year, but I'd rather see Edge win MITB (and the title, either Sunday or later in the year) and lose to Taker next year than have him lose this year and end Taker's streak next year.

Why does he have to be a heel? Why is this so imperative? It's a irrational move done for no purpose other than turning for the sake of turning. Cena works on many levels and it's this current character progression that allows him to be so successful. People want to turn him because it's felt that he gets boo'd in some markets indictates that he isn't over when every shred of evidence repudiates that way of thinking.

John Cena is over and is a successful draw who doesn't need to turn to satisfy a small minority and create a hole in not just John Cena himself but the entire promotion as well. It'd be like turning Hogan in 1990 where he was still over and making money for the promotion despite a vocal but small minority who were tired of the act.

5 major wrestling markets (at LEAST 5) booing him every single time is hardly a minority....all I would really like is for the man to not be so passive about his haters.

But that's part of Cena's character- if you boo him, no skin off his back. He's not like The Rock who needed the cheers of the crowd.

And Toronto only booed Cena b/c he was facing Edge. And I don't remember Cena getting booed in MSG either.

I'm not saying his character should NEED the cheers, but maybe a "fuck off" here and there would help win some cheers back, since smarks tend to like assholes and all.

then they really should go shades of gray with him, in that case...he comes off like a douche ball trying to be nice boy while 20,000 people boo the shit out of him.