TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RonL21

OAO WrestleMania 23 Thread-April 1st, 2007

Since when did Detroit become Undertaker country?

For whatever reason, it always has been. Even in appearances where Undertaker was a booking afterthought or the heel, Detroit has always loved the guy and pops like hell for him.

The final match is an eight-man tag team pitting The ECW Originals (Tommy Dreamer, Sabu, The Sandman and Rob Van Dam) against The New Breed (Elijah Burke, Marcus Cor Von, Matt Striker and Kevin Thorn). Best-selling author Mick Foley, a former ECW and WWE star, will serve as the guest referee.

yahoo.ca

Remember how WWE.com did the Fantasy Rumble where HBK and Taker were the last two, then it happened on PPV?

The "Mania Madness" tournament currently has HBK winning the title at Mania 12 in the Final Four so make of that what you will.

Guest kresh

I haven't read the whole thread so i don't know if it's already been asked but if Edge does not win the MITB, would that count as a loss, thus destroying his undefeated streak?

Meltzer's Preview:

2) Khali vs. Kane - Kane has a bad knee that may require some time off. If that's the case, this should be the injury angle match. Can Khali pull off something as simple as injuring Kane's knee?

He can pull it off, but it'll probably be legit.

I haven't read the whole thread so i don't know if it's already been asked but if Edge does not win the MITB, would that count as a loss, thus destroying his undefeated streak?

His character will likely not count it, saying he's never been pinned at WrestleMania.

From WWE.com: “The entranceway is the tallest we’ve ever had, but it’s also designed to morph. Every time you look at [the set], depending on which wrestler it is, there will be a particular entrance for each.”

A morphing set? Wonder if it can top Burning NYC (Kane's WMXX entrance).

A morphing set? Good lord. Will they do something for Khali, since the entrance is 187 feet long, it takes him five minutes on the regular walk way...

A specific entrance for each person sounds interesting...

Funny, I'd think the match would be Rey vs. Umaga but maybe I'm crazy. Or maybe they're crazy and I'm not. Here's my predictions:

Melina vs. Ashley: Okay, they've gotten their issues of Playboy sold. Ashley has zero discernable personality or talent, and even though backstage they hate Melina, I can't in good conscience job her here. Melina retains.

ECW Originals vs. New Breed: I don't care that Burke is a possible rising star. I don't care that on Inside Pulse all the panelists picked the New Breed 12-0. There are some things you just don't do, and one of them is job out Sabu and RVD in Michigan the night after The Shiek is inducted into the HOF. Foley is ref here too, and I think he'll want to be fair rather than do his lame heel character from last year. Besides, the New Breed are the single lamest heel faction this side of the Natural Born Thrillers. They will all bleed.

The Great Khali vs. Kane: Honestly, I think this might be the cheesy DQ match of the evening. Khali will bring in the hook and attack Kane's leg to injure him and put him on the shelf for a while. A feud of his magnitude must continue!

MVP vs. Chris Benoit: Benoit just tapped to Cena on Raw...don't they need to give the guy a break once in a while? MVP isn't really ready for a major title yet. Benoit makes him tap, but MVP will eventually get the belt down the road.

Money in the Bank: The hardest thing on the show to predict. I'll say Kennedy with some hesitation since he's jobbed out like a mofo to Batista, UT, and Lashley and frankly I don't buy him as a main event guy right now. Punk best fits the description of a guy helped out by winning the MITB (up and comer, on the verge of stardom), but I dunno if they'd want an ECW guy winning this.

John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels: I still say this shouldn't be last. And yes, Cena/HHH was last a year ago but that was actually a bigger match than a lame 3 way from SD with an office temp in Angle, a beyond heatless Orton, and an Eddie exploiting Rey. Anyway, booking logic tells us that since Cena was betrayed on Raw and pinned by Batista he'll get the win here, but something is nagging at me. HBK is essentially playing HHH's role here, and there was no way in hell HHH was jobbing again to Cena at WM. Could it be they just do the same title change and have HBK get the belt? I'm not sure it matters since this is bound to continue past WM. Still, I think they'll misguidedly give Cena another win and the crowd will shit on him again.

Bobby Lashley vs. Umaga, Battle of the Billionaires: The easiest thing to predict here. Umaga is jobbing, Austin will stun people, Lashley laughs his ass off, Rey and Eugene help shave Vince's head, and a good time will be had by all.

Undertaker vs. Batista: If Cena retains, why book that match last? I'd go with UT winning the title as the main event, even if this match is likely to suck it still has more inherent credibility. No way Batista is ending the streak, but I wonder if this going next to last might mean a pathetic DQ? Nah, fuck that. Batista is so jobbing. UT wins and goes to 15-0 and gets another title run.

Predictions:

Benoit over MVP. MVP bleeds and/or gets made by Benoit here. Benoit gets no handshake.

Melina over Ashley via whatever her finisher is.

Khali over Kane with tree slam.

Originals over New Breed, RVD and Sabu shine.

Kennedy wins MITB. Orton's babyface turn begins, Punk shines, Hardy Swanton through a table.

Lashley over Umaga. Vince is bald. Rey and Eugene out there.

Cena over Michaels in a bloodbath.

Taker over Batista with two tombstones.

It doesn't come close to touching WM 20 for drama and star-power matches, which I'm watching now, and that WM wasn't even great. Just referencing WM 20 for the era of "thrown together a month-to-weeks ahead" schedule WM does for WM now. 17's still the best WM.

It's a shame WM title matches are "two guys who haven't worked each other a lot and alledgedly pose a dream match scenario" instead of "I CANT WAIT TO SEE THIS GUY GET THE BELT" or "FINALLY, BIG HEEL GETS HIS." Sigh.

What I want to see:

Orton get big pop for punching Edge out.

Big crazy ladder spots. Punk wins MITB.

MVP and Benoit go 20.

Michaels kick Cena's head off and win title.

Taker win title.

RVD/Sabu do the Heatwave '98 double table finish to Striker and Burke.

Bald Trump. Lashley takes a bribe from Vince at end and screws Trump, turns mega-heel.

It's in Detroit. Which celebs can we expect to see? I'll assume Kid Rock, Rasheed Wallace (if he's not on the road with the Pistons), a couple b list actors like Luke Perry, Sean Casey of the Tigers. A couple rappers that I don't know, maybe Alice Cooper to pay tribute to WM3. Who else?

I'm doing the WM countdown right now and I'm at VII and I love watching Trump during the Warrior/Savage match. I don't think he moves the entire time.

Well, Big Ben's in Chicago so that one's probably out. Everything else is up in the air. A few Tigers (the fans might boo the Lions), probably Kid Rock, not sure about actors from the Detroit area so can't help you there.

Edit: Dammit Hawk don't correct your posts! I want to be an asshole of a nitpicker!

The moment The Undertaker kicked Hulk Hogan's ass at Survivor Series 1991.

Does anyone think that UT may pull a WM13 and show up dressed in his original gear or maybe even the purple gear? That would be awesome. It would definitely make up for showing up to WMXX for his big return dressed essentially the same as BikerTaker.

The moment The Undertaker kicked Hulk Hogan's ass at Survivor Series 1991.

Very true. A portion of that crowd popped like mad when UT beat Hogan for the title.

World Heavyweight Championship

Batista© vs The Undertaker

I really REALLY want The Undertaker to win the title and retain the streak by FINALLY becoming a 5 time World Champion. I just have a sick feeling in my stomach that Vince will lose his mind and have Taker job to tribute Hogan / Andre from twenty years ago. I like Batista, but he shouldn't be the one to have the honor. It would just be such a waste. I'm having flashbacks of Taker / Sid, but Taker has improved considerably since then so I'm hoping he can pull a miracle and get something good out of Batista. I do have faith since he did make his match against Mark Henry last year somewhat entertaining.

WWE Championship

John Cena © vs Shawn Michaels

Now, its no secret that I think HBK is a douchebag and I fucking hate the guy, but he's been busting his ass ever since he came back to the WWE so it would just be unfair for me to say he doesn't deserve the title. I'd like to see another run as it provide some new interesting paths for the main event scene to go. This has the whole Rocky Balboa feel to it. The veteran seeking to obtain glory once more by taking on the cocky champion. However, Vince is still high on Cena so I wouldn't be surprised if Cena retains. A lot of people will be disappointed.

Battle of the Billionaires (Hair vs Hair)

Bobby Lashley w/ Donald Trump vs Umaga w/ Vince McMahon

I don't care about this match. So obvious that Vince will lose and get his shaved along with getting a Stunner before or after his haircut. Still weird knowing that Hogan was supposed to be in Lashley's place, but I'm glad Hogan isn't here since the only reason he should have returned was for the tribute match against Big Show, which unfortunately for whatever reason couldn't be worked out.

Money in the Bank Ladder match

Randy Orton vs Ken Kennedy vs Fit Finlay vs Matt Hardy vs Jeff Hardy vs Booker T vs CM Punk vs Edge

I want Edge to win just so he can hold onto his undefeated streak as well as make history by being the first guy to win a MITB match twice. If he wasn;t in the match, I would certainly go for Kennedy or Orton.

ECW Originals vs The New Breed

The Originals should win, but I think this is Vince's way of starting to phase them out so I see the New Breed pulling out with the win.

WWE Women's Championship(LumberJill Match)

Ashley Massaro vs Melina©

I hate Melina and I hope she loses.

Monster vs Monster

Kane vs Great Khali

Again, don't care. Kane should win, but he won't.

United States Championship

Chris Benoit© vs MVP

Well, here we are one year later at Wrestlemania and Benoit looks to be losing the US Title again. I hope he doesn't though.

Another gripe with Wrestlemania is that the World Tag Team Champions are fighting for the WWE Championship and the WWE Tag Team Champions aren't even on the card to defend the damn belts!

I really think Edge's winning streak is overblown. It's not a story unless it approaches Undertaker's and by that time, Undertaker will be retired. I'd have no qualms about ending it here. If you want to build something out of it, have Edge vs. Undertaker at WM XXIV with Edge saying, "my streak is gone so I'm going to end your's."

Well, Edge's streak is goofy since he hasn't exactly won many 1 on 1 matches. Let's see...1999, didn't wrestle. 2000...won a tag team ladder match. 2001...won TLC 2. 2002...did beat Booker. Hurt for 2003 and 2004's shows. 2005...won MITB. Last year...beat Foley. He's really only been on 5 WMs, hardly enough to build up a serious streak.

One thing about UT's streak has puzzled me. Why on earth did they involve Albert and Nathan Jones at WM XIX? I can see UT vs. Big Show being a hyped WM match with the idea that Show could maybe end the streak, especially since he was coming off a WWE title reign and the Lesnar feud. Yet they do UT/Show at No Way Out 2003 and then do a crappy tag match with Jones and Albert for WM, then think Jones sucks so bad they won't even put him in the match. Why not do the cheesy tag match at No Way Out and then do UT vs. Big Show at WM?

Well, Edge's streak is goofy since he hasn't exactly won many 1 on 1 matches. Let's see...1999, didn't wrestle. 2000...won a tag team ladder match. 2001...won TLC 2. 2002...did beat Booker. Hurt for 2003 and 2004's shows. 2005...won MITB. Last year...beat Foley. He's really only been on 5 WMs, hardly enough to build up a serious streak.

One thing about UT's streak has puzzled me. Why on earth did they involve Albert and Nathan Jones at WM XIX? I can see UT vs. Big Show being a hyped WM match with the idea that Show could maybe end the streak, especially since he was coming off a WWE title reign and the Lesnar feud. Yet they do UT/Show at No Way Out 2003 and then do a crappy tag match with Jones and Albert for WM, then think Jones sucks so bad they won't even put him in the match. Why not do the cheesy tag match at No Way Out and then do UT vs. Big Show at WM?

Because A-Train was supposed to be a big heel at that time and if it had been a one on one match, it'd been decent. Instead, he had to deal with TBS as well and the match dragged. From a historical standpoin, TBS was a bigger name but I suppose the idea that he beat two guys made that different from the other wins.

I agree with Al about Edge's "streak". Cena is also undefeated at WM as well and all of them were title matches to boot. Edge doesn't need the streak. He's still a star without it and he won't need it against UT next year. Edge/UT sells itself.

I am most intrigued by the MITB match. I think that the winner almost has to be a heel since we have had face champs for the last 6 months or so and will be leaving WM with two face champs (barring a turn). If you had a gun to my head and said I had to pick who I think has the best chance to win (going from best to worst) I would pick:

- Ken Kennedy

- Randy Orton

- Edge

- Jeff Hardy

- King Booker

- CM Punk

- Matt Hardy

- Finlay

I think with 8 men there is a strong chance for an overbooked mess. Depending on match placement I think we could see the New Breed come out and take out CM Punk only to have him return the favor later and help the Originals win.