TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JasonX

A-Rod Fanboys Hit a New Low

There are no words to describe how utterly and completely pathetic this is:

http://www.projecta13.com/

photo_yankee-baby.jpg

I guess it was the night I threw the clicker clear across the room, and yelled something loud, long, and profane at my TV. Maybe it was the moment I stopped shaking with anger, stopped cursing at the ceiling, and turned around. Yeah, that's probably when I saw my wife sitting on the couch, her complete disgust with the man she married written from ear to ear. Definitely – that's when I saw my three-month-old son laying in her lap, and wondered what he was thinking about his father as he stared up at me.

I think the questions started that night, and progressed throughout the summer. Why was I so mad at Alex for not coming through? Why was I so mad at other Yankee players when they failed to be perfect? Was I having fun watching my favorite team play a game I supposedly loved? When I realized the answer to this last question was nearing the word "no", I knew it was time for a change.

And that's how the seeds for the project took root, basically. I'm 27-years-old, happily married, a proud father, and a life-long Yankee fan. I grew up idolizing Donnie Baseball, moved on to respect Derek Jeter, among others, and I am now trying to give Alex Rodriguez another chance. I work in Legal for a hedge fund in Manhattan, so I know how demanding this city can be, and how hard it is to block out the "noise". At the end of the day, all I want is for the Yankees to get back to the promise land, and now – as I've come to realize – I want A-Rod to be a part of that glory too. I want something special to happen in the Bronx.

And so, my promise to myself this season is as follows: I won't stand up to boo when he fails, then turn around to cheer when he comes through. I won't hedge my bets, in other words, but stand behind him no matter what – no matter what. In my eyes, this is the only way New York can get back to the positive thoughts that produced so many positive results in years past. We have a chance this year to show the world that The Big City can both forgive and forget, and help one of their fallen stars gain the confidence to rise. This is a noble cause, and one I am asking you all to consider: for the good of your team, for the good of your city, and for the good of each of you.

So, in the immortal words of Jerry Maguire, "Who's coming with me?"

to me, hes the anti-epitome of everything that is Yankee baseball and what a Yankee fan would want to root for considering he chokes every postseason and is more of a ME ME ME player than a team player..especially as long as Jeter's on the team.

oh..I like this:

Would you stay in New York?

No, probably not.

Thank you.

And yet he stays, by his own choice, in his own words, amidst a chorus of pleas for his departure.

Its hardly his choice. No team is going to take on the rest of his contract and bail the yankees out of this one, even if it means getting a player the calibre of A Rod.

Guest Queen Leelee

Explain how Alexander is a "ME ME ME Player". What has he done or said to prove that he's selfish? Do you have anything other than him making a lot of money? Hey, every baseball player makes too much money.

Oh, and who was the best SS in the game before going to NYY? Have we heard any complaining from Alexander about this?

Any team that says they don't want Alexander on their team is 1) lying, or 2) morons that actually believe performance means nothing in baseball.

Explain how Alexander is a "ME ME ME Player". What has he done or said to prove that he's selfish? Do you have anything other than him making a lot of money? Hey, every baseball player makes too much money.

Oh, and who was the best SS in the game before going to NYY? Have we heard any complaining from Alexander about this?

Any team that says they don't want Alexander on their team is 1) lying, or 2) morons that actually believe performance means nothing in baseball.

I want A-Rod on the White Sox. I admit that much.

He hasn't been selfish, but players on the team get the sense that he's a phony, and he's had horrible playoff series these past two years. Having said that, i'd be glad to have him back as long as he doesn't opt out. If he does, whatever, we'll find someone else. No reason to spend 150 million on him.

Dont want him as an Orioles fan since it would help the Yankees out too much. Last thing the Os need to be doing is helping out the Yankees with their problems..plus Angelos would never pay the money so I dont even have to worry about it happening ever anyway.

Personally I will always remember the AS Game where he moved over to 3rd to Allow Cal to play SS in his final AS Game..but Ive always been struck by him as being selfish just because of the huge contract he took to play with Texas..which pretty much kept them from being competitive because they couldnt dish out money for other players.

A-Rod needs to opt out and come to LA. LA is the type of place for a guy like him, not New York. He'd be able to say the things that he does here, with no consequences.

Ive always been struck by him as being selfish just because of the huge contract he took to play with Texas..which pretty much kept them from being competitive because they couldnt dish out money for other players.

That's pretty moronic to suggest, and pretty indicative of the complaints of A-Rod's so-called "greed". So the owners have no responsilibility when spending the money? If John Hart was dumb enough to outbid the Mets and Braves by FIFTY MILLION for Alex, why would you attempt to defend Hart?

He willingly passed up the chance to play on a contender. The only reason he passed up this chance was to get a long-ass contract for a ton of money, and almost as soon as he got the contract he started whining to be traded to a contender. Him and Clemens are the disgraces to baseball, not steroids.

He signed with a team that had won 3 division titles in the previous 5 seasons, so it's not like he signed with the Devil Rays, andno one had any idea Texas would go into the tank after the signing. I never remember him 'whining' to be traded, didn't he say he wanted to stay in Texas during that off-season after all the Boston rumours?

And it's hard to criticize someone for taking a contract like that. Financial security for the rest of your life, plus your children, and their children, and on and on. And again, he had every idea to believe that the Rangers would be a competitive team after he went there.

He signed with a team that had won 3 division titles in the previous 5 seasons, so it's not like he signed with the Devil Rays, andno one had any idea Texas would go into the tank after the signing. I never remember him 'whining' to be traded, didn't he say he wanted to stay in Texas during that off-season after all the Boston rumours?

And it's hard to criticize someone for taking a contract like that. Financial security for the rest of your life, plus your children, and their children, and on and on. And again, he had every idea to believe that the Rangers would be a competitive team after he went there.

To be fair...a 71-win season was "good" enough for dead last the year before they brought in A-Rod, so they were as far into the AL West tank as they could get.

Over the 3 years he was there, their average improvement over that 71-win season before he arrived: one game. In three years, a $250 million shortstop won them a total of three extra games. He was gone for 2004 and they improved to 89 wins. I'm not going to say that's totally A-Rod leaving or totally Soriano coming in, but you have to wonder how a $250 million shortstop "improves" you from 71 wins to 73, 72 and 71 wins and as soon as he's gone your team jumps to 89 wins.

From the day of the trade:

Rodriguez, who waived his no-trade clause, was desperate to play for a winner.

He even had a no-trade clause; he waived it for the nullified Boston trade and waived it again for the Yankees trade. If he truly wanted to stay he could've said "Don't trade me". Instead he whined and cried and got himself to a "winner".

As far as financial security...as was mentioned, teams like the Mets and Braves were offering salaries in the $200 million range; you can't say that $200 million leaves somebody financially insecure.

To be fair...a 71-win season was "good" enough for dead last the year before they brought in A-Rod, so they were as far into the AL West tank as they could get.

Their offensive differentials from 1999 (95-67 record) to 2000 (71-91):

--57 less homeruns

--91 less RBI

--no Juan Gonzalez (39 HR, 128 RBI, .326/.378/.601 SLG in 1999).

It isn't that hard to suggest that it would only take one more slugger to have kickstarted that offense again. (The pitching was absolutely mediocre for both the '99 and 2000 season, so that's a throwaway) And again, they were one year removed from a division title.

I can't believe that we are still arguing this stupid A-Rod contract 7 years after he first signed it. This has to be one of the most tired arguments in sports. First of all, it is not greedy to take the best contract offered to you. No one, in any line of work, should be put down for taking the best monetary offer. It's smart business. Second, no athlete signs with a poor team with the expectations that they will continue to suck after they get there. Is Alfonso Soriano greedy? How about Barry Zito? Drew Brees? Michael Vick? Steve Nash? No... they signed with the team that was the best fit after all factors were considered, including the contract.

It is also ridiculous to blame A-Rod for Texas' failures during his tenure. That was the most mismanged team in baseball during that period. They routinely had one of the top 5 payrolls in baseball and couldn't put anything decent around Rodriguez. He didn't curb their spending at all. It was wasting money on Chan Ho Park, Ken Caminiti, Andres Galarraga, Juan Gonzalex and other washed-up drek that handicapped that team. The reason they got better after he left was because young, homegrown talent like Mark Teixeira, Michael Young and Hank Blalock learned how to hit. And they did it on the cheap.

Lastly, the dissolution of the A-Rod/Texas marriage was great for both parties. We shouldn't really cry for the owner that signed him, either. There was an article on the Business of Baseball a few months back detailing how the Rangers' owner made billions (!) off of the A-Rod contract because the increased exposure to the team raised the value of his real estate investments in the area. By that time, he was ready to sell of the assets and cash in on the team. A-Rod, feeling that Texas would never offer what they promised, offered to willingly give up a huge chunk of his contract to play for a contender. That hardly sounds like greed or being whiny to me.

A-Rod didn't really hurt the Rangers. What hurt them is that they routinely finished at or near the bottom of the league in runs allowed. So either A-Rod's poor fielding at shortstop kept them in the toilet, or they lost in spite of Rodriguez, not because. Did the contract hurt the Rangers? When they gave $65 million to Chan Ho Park in spite of his mediocre road statistics, it is hard to cry poverty. Bottom line is that the Rangers got a great player, but failed to add enough secondary talent to take advantage.

As for Rodriguez in New York, it amazes me that some good players like him, Pat Burrell, Adam Dunn, etc. catch so much flack for the failures of their teams. To blame your best players is self-defeating.

Guest Queen Leelee

He willingly passed up the chance to play on a contender. The only reason he passed up this chance was to get a long-ass contract for a ton of money, and almost as soon as he got the contract he started whining to be traded to a contender. Him and Clemens are the disgraces to baseball, not steroids.

How on earth is Alexander like Clemens?

Trying to get the most money you can is a bad thing? WTF. Are going to tell me that all athletes don't care about the money, next?

How on earth is Alexander like Clemens?

Trying to get the most money you can is a bad thing? WTF. Are going to tell me that all athletes don't care about the money, next?

If you want money, that's fine. I've never said wanting money is bad.

Their similarity is that they both took the "better" offers (A-Rod more money, Clemens less time with the team), and then said a whole bunch of things and were basically full of shit. Clemens always says he wants to come back to a contender, to win another World Series...no he doesn't, he wants to make $11 million and show up 1 day a week, and since the real contenders won't let him do it he just suckers the Astros into another waste of money to get 10 wins and a winter full of "Is he coming back? When? And will he be back with us?". They'd have been better off signing away somebody's pitching prospect and getting 30 starts a year out of him.

After the A-Rod signing, for pretty much the entirety of the time he was there, report after report came out that A-Rod wanted to be on a winner, not a 4th place Ranger team (which I don't doubt; it's just my stance that when you sign with a team that was dead last the previous year when several first and second-place teams were making just slightly less over-the-top offers, you have to know that you're taking a big chance.)

Present-day the same thing happens with Clemens. When he's "coming back" it's always the Yankees, Red Sox and Astros it comes down to, and every year he picks the Astros because they offer an assload of money and let him skip 80% of the team's games. Every single time it's the same reporters coming up with some reason why Clemens wants to be on a winner, and then they all disappear back to the woodwork when he picks the offense-free, struggling-for-a-wildcard-slot Astros over the 1st or 2nd team in the AL East because they all love him too much to say "Clemens went to Houston because Houston's the only one that would even consider putting up with his moronic, ridiculous demands.".