TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

PRIDE 34 -4.8.7- Easter Sunday

fightcard_34.jpg

This card, is awesome. I don't care. ZELG~! AOKI~! SOKOUDJOU~! YVEL~! BUTTERBEAN~! FUJITA~! FRYE~! VESUS~! JAMESIE~!

This card is steeped in what made PRIDE: Retarded Greatness.

Honestly, who doesn't want to see this? ZELG is going to rape face. AOKI is going to do his impression of Mr. Fantastic on some dude whose name sounds like something that could get you in trouble in the wrong neighbourhood. We get to see if SOKOUDJOU is more than a 1-hit wonder. We get to see GILBERT YVEL against a dude who hit a super dope spinkick in his last PRIDE outing. We get to see Fujita vs. Monson, which is, like, two really stocky guys... and... did I mention FRYE vs. THOMPSON????!! You remember Frye vs. Takayama? You remember every Thompson fight? AWESOME.

Plus Butterbean vs. Zulu. C'mon, you want this. Maybe not for money. But you want this.

It's not going to be good-bye, but, so long.

"I luv this card. It's like a woman with two mouths: You look at it and think "damn, that's a whole lot of not right", but that doesn't stop you from wondering if she could suck your cock and balls at the same time. Zulu/Butterbean? Frye/Thompson? That's totally going to suck cock and balls."

Good lord.

I will admit to at least being hyped on Jamesy/Frye.

Oh man, the early PRIDE fan in me is jizzing all over Igor vs. Wandy. This card is the dope.

Are you sure not smoking it, because this card is pretty much garbage except for the main.

I will not deny that it has low level fighters and mismatches throughout.

I will also not deny that I want to see just about every one of those.

UFC this Saturday will give us plenty of competitive fights with high calibre athletes that will impact their relative divisions. With PRIDE, you're going to get a bunch of guys kicking the piss out of each other and it's going to be ridiculously fun. I can see maybe two of those matches going to a decision, the rest are going to be some hl reel finishes.

I will not deny that it has low level fighters and mismatches throughout.

I will also not deny that I want to see just about every one of those.

UFC this Saturday will give us plenty of competitive fights with high calibre athletes that will impact their relative divisions. With PRIDE, you're going to get a bunch of guys kicking the piss out of each other and it's going to be ridiculously fun. I can see maybe two of those matches going to a decision, the rest are going to be some hl reel finishes.

I guess you're right, but it just seems like every time a card like this is put out, MMA goes one step backwards. Just seeing Butterbean or Zulu in a fight just lowers the sport in the eyes of the average fan, IMO. It makes it seem like more of a circus than a sporting event when there are many mismatches and low-level fighters on a card.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

The only time I've ever seen that Zulu guy was when he tried to eat Fedor and got broken in half. My thoughts after the 20 seconds were "Who's this guy kidding?"

His only other win in PRIDE previous to that fight was fucking hilarious. He was facing a former sumo wrestler who ended up being DQ'd for pulling Zulu's shorts down.

Seriously. He goes for the shoot, grabs the shorts, Zulu's sprawls, shorts fall. Awesome stuff.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
His only other win in PRIDE previous to that fight was fucking hilarious. He was facing a former sumo wrestler who ended up being DQ'd for pulling Zulu's shorts down.

Seriously. He goes for the shoot, grabs the shorts, Zulu's sprawls, shorts fall. Awesome stuff.

So, what's his professional record? Does he just fight bozos as a sideshow kind of thing (like Butterbean,) or are guys like Cro-Cop kicking the shit out of him regularly? I mean, he got in the ring against Fedor for some godforsaken reason..

Sidenote: Is crocop one word? Hyphenated? two words?

Cro Cop

Zulu's only losses have come from two of the best heavyweight fighters ever. He hasn't fought often. He sucks. That said, him vs. Butterbean will rule, if only because odds are they won't be able to hit each other coming head-on because their bellies' reach is greater than their arms'.

Wandy/Igor is off.

I haven't seen this anywhere, but then again it was never totally confirmed on the website either, only on ChuteBoxe's. Would be great if Yvel were to fight Silva since Gilbert holds a long standing grudge against Silva. Ataev dropping out eliminates the second most interesting match on this card. Probably THE worst card on paper in Pride's history. At least Pride 9 had Belfort vs. Silva and Rodriguez vs. Goodridge, which were interesting at the time even though they didn't really deliver.

And LOTC, Sentoryu wasn't DQ'd against Zulu, he lost by "KO," quote marks because it was one of the worst stoppages in MMA history, as Sentoryu was clearly able to continue.

Geez, I'm starting to reach Lei Tong levels of cynicysm in my posts, ;)

Ataev is off, Yvel is fighting Shoji instead. Looks like Silva/Vov was never really confirmed either as Wandy is OFF the card. So the two most interesting fights are now nixed.

For those brave enough to spend 40.00 on this card, enjoy

Results

Jeff Monson def. Fujita, Rear Naked Choke R1

SOKODJOU def. Ricardo Arona, KO R1

Shinya Aoki def. That Guy, Armbar R1

JAMESY def. Don Frye, TKO R1

Makoto Taikimoto def. Zelg Galesic, Armbar R1

Gilbert Yvel def. Akira Shoji, TKO R1

KISS Nakao def. Edson Drago, Neck crank, R1

Butterbean def. Zulu, Kimura, R1

African magic indeed. So........in two fights Soko has placed himself handily in the top ten LHW's. Jesus. Sucks that he'll never get a shot so long as Henderson is champion.

Takimotos armbar/omoplata/trapped arm/straight armbar/americana/mount-deal was fucking hot. Aoki's armbar was Aokiesque, but he took some big shots that sorta worry me (the announcer calling him Takimoto also worried me- hopefully the Zuffa-run PRIDE will change their commentating team). Frye/Thompson was pretty much exactly what it should have been, which is to say, a Don Frye vs. James Thompson fight. SOKO fucking killed Arona with that Shoryuken.

I wanna see the Sakuraba stuff.

TEAM QUEST owns Brazil right now. Sokoudjou is the truth and this is on another level than what my friends were talking about last night between GSP/Serra. Serra was a dude who has stepped up in the past and has lost, but always stuck around... while Sokoudjou is a total unkown who has leapfrogged himself into the Top 5-10 by fighting elite level of fighters back to back and winning in impressive fashion.

The show was exactly what I hoped it would be: Pure fun.

Every fight on the card was fun, entertaining, or exciting. Absolutely no lulls. The heat for the main was really hot, with the fans buying into the "UFC VS. PRIDE" gimmick.

There's absolutely no doubt about Sokodjou now. Arona couldn't do anything to him. Arona's never had the best shoots for a takedown, but if he grabs you, your usually going to get pulled to the ground. He couldn't do ANYTHING to Soko, even after having death grips on him. The dude is too well balanced, too skilled, and too strong. He EASILY blocked Arona's best tries, and then made him pay a million fucking deaths for trying it. There is absolutely no one in the LHW division who could eat that uppercut. Anyone would be on their ass after that blow. I don't care who it is; Silva, Liddell, Shogun, it doesn't matter. That blow will turn out ANYONE's lights. Right now, as it stands, he has no weakness. Inless he's got a horrible chin, or pisspoor submission defense (Strongly suspect he doesn't since he's supposed to be a world class Judo fighter) then I have no idea what his weakness is. Superb takedown defense, great grappling, crisp and clean striking that made Arona veeery worried, and INSANE KO power where one shot is just...lights out. Right now, he looks like the total fucking package.

Kinda funny, after all the time of people saying Judo wasn't an elite style...Now Sokodjou has emerged, and is WRECKING people using his Judo as a base. He hasn't even showed off what he can fully do with his Judo yet, and if I remember right, he's one of the best to have entered MMA.

Right now, PRIDE's got potential to make alot of money off Soko and Aoki. Both are just storming the ranks of their divisions, have good looks, and have charisma. What more could you want?

The only thing I hope for, is they do not change anything about how PRIDE runs their Japanese PPVs, and completely NUKES the American office for doing such shitty ass jobs.

I thought Frye/Thompson was just a poor man's Frye/Takayama. It got pretty embarrassing towards the end for both parties, with Frye basically a punching bag for Thompson, who was so gassed he couldn't even connect on a stationary target. I liked Takimoto/Zelg, but the rest was pretty disposable.