TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Angle-plex

First Person Cameraman~

Having an "invisible" cameraman that spies on all of the wrestler's schemes wasn't enough, and now WWE has decided to cross the barrier into the even dumber first person view shots. First Hunter's baby POV at Wrestlemania, and Vince's tonight. It's extremely inconsistent with the entire show and wrestling in general. Definetly the worst part of RAW tonight, with the entire second hour being a close second. These shots seriously bother me and I hope they don't continue. Just imagine how far they could take these shots.

I think it's another step that Vince is taking to make WWE look more like a normal TV show than a wrestling program. Just over the past 24 hours we've had the two first person perspective shots, as well as Vince being on The Today Show this morning with Trump showing off his bald head, being perfectly happy about the entire deal, and saying that they're best friends again (with a smirk all the while). It didn't feel any different than seeing a normal actor on a talk show, talking about his character in a movie or a TV show.

Yes, I know wrestlers are "actors" as well, but I don't like where all of this could be going.

Over the years they've always tried things like this every now and then, but it feels different now, more forced and with more purpose to me.

This reminds me of that angle they did in 1999 when Ric Flair was in a limo and dragged out and beaten by the nWo (wearing ski masks). Later a trucker picks up Flair and takes him back the arena where the announcers are clueless as to what happened to Flair as he got out of the truck bleeding and his clothes ripped to shreds. It's different, but it reminded me of it.

Now that I think about it, they introduced Torrie Wilson through the first person point of view too through the eyes of David Flair.

In the past year we've also had in-restroom hidden cameras, only one week after I predicted it because it seemed impossibly absurd.

However, all this has something in common which is that they're Vince's angles. It seems like his storylines exist in a cartoon universe outside everybody else's. Probably because he books himself by now and it's not like he's ever been very into the whole Attitude-era development of kayfabe that blurred lines with reality. Comically unrealistic situations and characters have always been his preference.

Either that or we're heading into WCW territory where I just have to predict the dumbest and most senseless thing I can think of and then sit back and watch it happen.

Remember the night when Kane lost his mask when they showed him backstage and the screen dissolved into what we (I guess) were supposed to assume was a flashback in Kane's mind to the night he debuted?

Over the years it's just gotten worse and worse, you can tell what Vince is trying to do. He's trying to introduce this sort of bullshit in a way that once it's totally like a TV show, once everything is really changed, many fans wont even really notice it since it was a slow transition over a period of years.

Anyone remember the horrible "Randy Orton's Visions" segments?

ortonbloodaj4.gif

You also recently has the Kane "See No Evil" voices that he and the rest of the arena could hear but his opponents and announcers could not.

Also there was a spot I believe during the Rock vs Foley empty arena match where the first person camera view was used when Rock had a forklift lowered on "him" that lead to the pin. Or something like that.

The next step: Ref POV

The infamous Chambers of Horror match back in WCW had the "Refer-EYE" camera. It's gold, I tell you! GOLD!

You can't compare putting a camera in a player's helmet in football and putting a camera in Vince's face. Although maybe is a McMahon only trait since Hunter's baby has this ability as well. A ref camera would actually be less offensive to me as it would just be a new look on the action that you don't have to suspend disbelief for.

Yeah, the football thing is a bad example.

If it's actually acknowledged that they're wearing cameras or that it's just some kinda camera/promotional trick that's one thing, but in a genre that relies so much on fan participation, to just act like we can't see it while at the same time letting the live crowd in on the secret is just stupid.

Guest lo0p

man some of you guys bitch and complain about the dumbest things. They HAD to do that using first person because they didn't want to show vinces head until he came to the ring. And at WM they wanted to show vinces goofy faces which could only been shown properly from the baby pesrspective.

man some of you guys bitch and complain about the dumbest things. They HAD to do that using first person because they didn't want to show vinces head until he came to the ring. And at WM they wanted to show vinces goofy faces which could only been shown properly from the baby pesrspective.

Because it would've been totally impossible for them to just have the people talking to Vince as he was out of the shot off camera, right? I really do understand how that was impossible in every single sense of the word. Really, truly, I mother fucking do.

As for the baby, yes, we needed to see that. Not only could they just not have done the segment at all, but it was also impossible to just have a camera in the room as they usually would do, instead of pretending they have a bloody camera as a baby in the family. You're logic makes perfect sense.

Because it would've been totally impossible for them to just have the people talking to Vince as he was out of the shot off camera, right? I really do understand how that was impossible in every single sense of the word. Really, truly, I mother fucking do.

In such a case you'd likely've complained that it doesn't make sense for a cameraman to not move around the corner to get the first shots of a bald Vince; which is (supposed to be, at least) a big deal - some amazingly hilarious thing.

In such a case you'd likely've complained that it doesn't make sense for a cameraman to not move around the corner to get the first shots of a bald Vince; which is (supposed to be, at least) a big deal - some amazingly hilarious thing.

No, I wouldn't.

And you know why?

Because that would actually make sense to do on a wrestling program. It would make sense because they could simply have Vince demand that the camera man not show him on camera until he gets to the ring, or just have that be implied since it wouldn't take a genius to understand that. If some of you don't understand why a first person shot doesn't work in wrestling, then I really don't know what to say.

I'm not picky at all, anyone here who knows me knows that. This is just crossing that line of "ok, I can deal with this stupid bit" and "ok, no, that's just fucking retarded" for me.

I think all this meta-camera stuff is stupid as fuck. The show's a live (well RAW at least) sports-type broadcast, it doesn't have a narrative or an omniscient point of view or anything. Stuff like flashbacks/first-person/voices that only one person can hear don't make any fucking sense. If they want to show an edited video package with that stuff, or a promo type thing, then that would make sense. Otherwise it detracts from the show big time.

I think the ultimate example of this is when Hogan sees the Ultimate Warrior in the mirror, and WE see it, and the audience sees it, and hell the announcers see it, but Eric Bischoff doesn't and stands there like an idiot going "Hollywood, what is it??!!" Hilariously bad.

And people can argue all they want about how they want to make it 'more like a scripted TV show so that's fine.' But that argument doesn't hold at all. This is equivalent to having some random episode of 24 where Jack Bauer all of a sudden turns to the camera and goes "Gee folks, that was a tough one wasn't it, we'll be right back after this commercial."