TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

Rock Band!

Apparently RB2 will also have an unlockable "No Fail Mode" where you won't fail a song no matter what. That's actually a really good idea for parties where people just want to goof around.

Those new Who songs on Rock Band are tough. I mean My Generation on Bass and the drumming to either My Generation and Who Are You are insane.

Edit: As a die hard Who fan, I'm surprised that The Real Me isn't on this game.

I look at Panic at the Disco being Fallout Boy's replacement in this game. They really needed to throw some suck in.

Dream Theatre being in the game should be fun....or highly irritating.

Pinball Wizard is going to be a great party song, as well.

Lastly, at least the Linkin Park track will be back from when I was in high school, and can make great fun of it.

I got the new Game Informer in the mail today and it had a story on Rock Band 2 which revealed some features I haven't read about anywhere else:

- There will be a Bass World Tour as well as Guitar.

- Freestyle mode on drums that just lets you pound away.

- Tour challenges, where you play songs from a certain decade or particular band. Evolves with each DLC you add.

- The new drum set has expansion slots for add-ons like cymbals.

- Solo parts for every instrument, not just guitar.

- Battle of the Bands is about time-specific challenges that change every few days.

Sounds fucking awesome.

PK and I didn't get to play, but who might be interested in some online play tomorrow afternoon/evening? I'm not sure exactly what time I'll get on, and I do want to play some CivRev, but I will be available until around probably 5 Pacific/8 Eastern when I get ready to head out to the gym.

I have only played multiplayer on like 3 separate days on friends' copies, and then Friday night at a party where those who played sucked and we rarely finished any songs. I want to play with some halfway decent people. I imagine PK here has the voice of an angel due to his achievement for 100% vocals on a song on Expert. :P

This dude is playing every drum song (on expert) on Rock Band in a row. That's 235 songs in one sitting. He's streaming it all you ustream.

Check it out here - http://www.ustream.tv/channel/scorehero-woo

You can check out the set list and how well he's done here - http://www.customhero.net/drumhell/

You can check out what songs he has left here - http://www.customhero.net/drumhell/setlist.php

He's in hour 22 of Drum Day From Hell.

Damn, crazy. I wish I had gotten to see some of it.

Anyway, RE: Green Grass and High Tides: everyone complains about this song on the guitar. But what about drums? The drum solo tour is tiered terribly as is, since there are some songs in the 4th tier that should be 1st tier, and vice versa. But I had gotten no less than 4 stars on any song on medium until GGaHT. Fucking failed it at 95%! The song is ridiculous.

It's pretty much long and tiring, as opposed to tricky in any major way. I remember for a while, my body didn't want to do the foot-Yellow, Red-Yellow rhythm properly. My foot would keep going down with both hands for Red-Yellow. (The first time I finished "Blitzkrieg Bop" Medium, which is pretty much only this, I managed all of 2 stars.) The parts where it alternates between foot & Red-Green also gave me problems.

I'm sure it's been said before, but it's just a matter of practice, and learning the rhythm. The first time I finished "GGaHT" on Medium (looks like 3rd try), a few weeks after starting the game, I got 250K, 90% hit, 374 streak. A month later, I tried again; 395K, 99%, 1589 streak, with maybe a dozen misses altogether.

Long and tiring, it is. I guess I just need practice. But part of the reason it was so frustrating was due to the length of the song. I had never heard it before, and there were probably 3-4 times I expected it to end, only for it to continue.

I actually just played through it again on Medium. I improved on the streak, but not the score. (This is several months after the last PS2 score.) There's nothing in there I'm unable to do--I've gotten through the song on Expert--it's more a matter of keeping focussed, and not going cross-eyed for the duration of the 10-minute marathon run. And if you're going for 100%, you also have to not zone out, and keep watch for the occasional parts where it skips a bass beat, or that sort of thing.

As opposed to guitar, where in addition to the marathon, you've also got some crazy snakes to deal with on Expert. Which I'm personally no good at. I've finished the song once, but it wasn't pretty. :spank:

For some reason that part in GG&HT is actually easier on Hard than it is on Medium for me. Probably because on Medium the yellow notes are so close together you tend to speed up the beat and once you screw up the rhythm, it's very hard to get the beat back. On hard they are at least spaced out so it's easier to keep the beat.

im001562im4.jpg

So I'm pretty much dead after that. D: First time I've finished it. At least a dozen tries, maybe two. I pretty much just spammed the red pad with my left hand, trying to keep on beat with bass & yellow. No chance of me doing it properly at full speed.

Now I can get through "Won't Get Fooled Again" (I've done it before a few times), and get my batch of drum achievements. :) Just not right now. The whole dead thing.

Anyone have any troubles with the guitar. The wire is loose on the guitar, as it wont read on the X-Box. It gives the flashing lights, but no connection.

Upcoming Rock Band downloadable albums:

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/08/rock-band-2-ful.html

Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking

Megadeth - Peace Sells... But Who's Buying

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood

A specially-compiled No Doubt Best Of collection

Oh hell yes. There's a Rock Band 2 intro FMV video at the above link as well. megamanrockmanby1iq9.gif

Rush's Moving Pictures was supposed to be released this week, but there were technical difficulties, so it'll now be coming in a few weeks.

Hey all,

So there is a 360 title update coming out for Rock Band today, PS3 will follow and we'll let you know when we have an idea when it will drop. What's in it? A couple of things.

First of all - it updates RB1 so you will still be able to purchase DLC from the Rock Band store. Downloading this patch is required if you'd still like to do that.

Second - Lowers the threshold on gold stars making it easier/possible to gold star songs. This won't affect leaderboards as it only affects the threshold, not the score.

Third - Lately a few songs have had unhittable notes. This should be fixed now.

Lastly - It will allow you to export your songs from the RB1 disc to the hard drive for play in Rock Band 2. Official language follows for this feature-

Nominal fee of $4.99 (400 Microsoft points) required for export of Rock Band 1 soundtrack to compensate music licensors for expanded use.The following Rock Band disc tracks will not be available for export into Rock Band 2: * "Paranoid" as made famous by Black Sabbath, * “Run to the Hills” as made famous by Iron Maiden, and "Enter Sandman" by Metallica. In addition, the title update will also be released simultaneously in Europe. Tokio Hotel’s “Through the Monsoon” from the European disc release of Rock Band will not be available for export into the future European release of Rock Band 2. (* Indicates a cover song, all other songs are original master recordings.) Expanded usage rights for these particular tracks were unable to be secured from the music licensors for this feature.

From the RB forums:

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76923

We have to pay AGAIN to rip the music, after already paying for it once? BOO.

Considering they've been saying this for weeks, doesn't bother me. And only three songs don't transfer? Two of them are covers? Not bad.

We have to pay AGAIN to rip the music, after already paying for it once? BOO.

What other music game even gives you the option to carry over your songs from title to title? There's only a handful of series off the top of my head that'll carry over your save data from game to game.

Five bucks to play 55 songs (admittedly, ones I've already played quite a bit) with the tweaked engine and new features. If you don't want to do that, you can swap discs, like every other game would force you to do.

Edit: Or you could pay $6.25 for 3 songs.

FYI: if you want to trade in your copy of Rock Band, Blockbuster is giving $32 trade credit for the game (no instruments). I'm keping mine, but that's a very good price if you want to just export the songs and then sell off the game.