TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

Rock Band!

Was anyone else having trouble playing online last night. I go to set it up, and I would just get stuck at the loading screen.

I noticed an unusually long delay in downloading the message of the day. After that, though, I played a couple online matches, no problem.

Working my way though the challenges and the tour on Expert guitar. Had to take a break, my left hand is starting to assume the "Guitar Hero Cramp" where it looks like you're always holding the neck of the guitar. Still a lot of fun. Gold starring some of the easier songs, haven't failed anything.....yet. I'm somewhat dreading the Steve Miller Band. Endless hammer-ons = big problems for me.

This week's DLC: Rush's Moving Pictures returns, and 6 singles:

Bad Religion - "Sorrow"

The Cult - "She Sells Sanctuary"

Hot Hot Heat - "Bandages"

Kasabian - "Shoot the Runner"

Sleater-Kinney - "You're No Rock N Roll Fun"

Stone Roses - "Love Spreads"

Well, tried Steve Miller Band last night and actually did pretty well on it. Hit 4 1/2 snowflakes and could have done better if I had played the last 45 seconds better (caught me by surprise). Actually came close to failing out on Ratt (the 80's hair metal proclivity for hammer-ons is baffling) and Mighty Mighty Bosstones (kept losing the pace of the chord vs. single note).

I also picked a random song setlist and was warming up by going up and down the "scale" and accidentally approved the "No Overdrive" challenge without realizing it. So, I'm now going on a random song with no overdrive and don't have any idea. The computer decides to pick out Bob Dylan's "Tangled Up in Blue", a song I've never heard (I'm not a Dylan fan). That song is a bitch when you don't have any idea what to look for and no way to bail yourself out. Somehow managed to hit 4* though. Got on a hot streak with my chord work which is admittedly my strong point.

I finally joined an illustrious club.

im001627bw5.jpg

To The Order of the Snapped Pedals, I hereby say hello.

In addition to extensive use over 4 months, I think "Drain You" started things off the other day, and "We Got the Beat" did the real damage sometime yesterday. Last night, after I finished "That's What You Get", I noticed a small crack in the right side, but figured I'd keep playing anyways. Sometime during the very next song--"Pump It Up"--it turned into what you see above. :(

Sucks man. The same thing happened to mine within the first month of playing. I blame it more on the friends that would come over and had no idea how to play, so they would stomp the everloving shit out of the pedal. Hopefully the turnaround is quick for you.

I play with the drum kit once every few months, and so when I cracked them out, I noticed that the yellow pad is going out :angry:.

I usually play by moving my ankle, rather than my whole leg, since I know the things are fragile. And I'm a big dude, with a big foot. But you look at these songs... and I can't twitch my foot that fast, so I was pretty much curbstomping the thing trying to keep up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcRqW2TCJ5c (Skip to about 1:40)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC8Y7Yq_x2I

Hopefully the RB2 pedal is sturdy enough for me to learn how to use it properly.

If you're gonna get any replacements from EA, do it quickly. The no-receipt warranty deal ends October 1st.

http://support.ea.com/rockband

I'm still waiting on my pad replacement; almost 2 weeks now. I'd really like them to get here this week, so I can take the time to figure out if they work or not, in time to potentially ask for yet another set.

Is it me or is the audio mix much better, even with the DLC and RB1 songs? I can't remember if the first game had an option for Dolby Digital sound or not, but it makes a big difference. Much crisper and fuller sound.

Played Everlong, got 4 1/3 on it. Awesome, awesome guitar part, although the yellow/blue switch to yellow/orange and back got me all sorts of fucked up. Actually had my first failure tonight. "Down With the Sickness" by Disturbed. The chord changes near the beginning got me all sorts of screwed up. Worst part is, I went in to practice mode and I nail the rest of the song. get almost 90% of the rest of the song. Just that part and an identical part further up the neck late in the song screw me up. I'm not dextrous enough to hit all of that part, but maybe I can fake my way through it with a bit more work.

I got my new drum pads yesterday. I can't actually use them for playing, with the busted pedal, but I tested them in the drum trainer. When I'm striking the red pad, there's an occasional rattle, or some kind of noise coming from the yellow well (I think). And it misses soft strikes on the green pad about 1 of 8 times.

Also, there's a delay of 8 days between when the RMA was submitted to when the Purolator label was printed. <_<

From what I've read so far, the instruments aren't that much of an improvement, but I might get a new drum set for the quieter pads and the cymbal expansion ports.

So the Wii version was released over here. And boy has it been gutted.

World Tour = gone

Creat a charater = gone

Online play = gone

Downloadable content = gone

Was there any point?

So the Wii version was released over here. And boy has it been gutted.

World Tour = gone

Creat a charater = gone

Online play = gone

Downloadable content = gone

Was there any point?

Yep. It's pretty much the PS2 version with a few extra songs, for the same price as the 360/PS3. In North America, at least.

Australia's finally getting Rock Band 1 on November 7th. EA apparently doesn't like international money very much. They've really screwed the pooch outside of US & Canada.

I got through "Painkiller" Expert Guitar. Earlier today, I failed 4 or 5 times, at either 49% or 59%, during the first solo. Probably during one of the ascending trills. This past hour, I decided to practice at half speed. Rather than try to strum every note during the main riff, I learned the strum/HO/PO rhythm, and that seemed to have helped. I don't know if it helped to learn that the quick strum parts are in triplets, but I figured that out too.

And my reward for the 35-track '90s Infinite Setlist? $180. :huh: And a sore hand. (moar liek painCAUSER lawl)

I have such a dumb question but how many play on hard normally and how long did it take for you to play normally on hard?

I tried it last night with Rockband 2 and I got to the point where I was just ready to start smashing the guitar. My have a few problems when trying to play on hard.

1. I tend to move my hand over to fast and forget where the buttons are.

2. After a few notes are played, I can't tell what fingers are on what buttons and have to look down to replace my fingers.

3. when a blue note comes up, 85% of the time I'll go right for the orange button.

Any tips on handling the guitar while playing on hard mode?

I just got it by playing alot. I still sometimes misplace my pinkie on orange instead of blue, but it doesn't happen often. I'm starting to play on expert now and it's so much more fun than hard because it goes alot faster.

Guest Vitamin X

I was playing this tonight at some school function with the video game club at my school and I kept getting bitched at because I was hitting the pads too hard. Yeah whatever, fuck off- I used to play the ACTUAL damn things, so yeah, habit. Drinking a bunch of coffee a couple hours earlier and being all hyper probably didn't help matters much. I didn't understand what the big deal with the foot pedals was until I saw that last place. Owch, bummer.