TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

Rock Band!

I am sure it might come in handy for At The Gates....

Ok so far I am finding it pretty frustrating using the GH WT drumkit with Rockband, mainly because the way the notes were designed, which is of course not the game makers fault as it was designed for an instrument in which the color pattern is different. It just doesn't translate well because of the difference in design, one four drum pads, and the other being 3 drum pads and 2 elevated cymbals, it just feels unnatural for someone who up till today has been a GH player.

As far as the game itself, it is awesome, very nice setlist and a lot of fun.

Oh and that universal drum pedal, the "Metal Pedal" is a fucking piece of shit, that doesn't work, first off, you have to basically slam the thing so hard to get it to register a bass drum kick that you feel yer gonna break it. It LOOKS cool, but that is where the fun ends. I'll be better off just having my wife return it or exchanging it for a standard GH WT drum kit 2nd bass pedal, of course the package was opened, so I think the best I can hope for is to trade it in for credit towards a new pedal.

Oh and lemme know if I have this correct, the cymbal expansion pack for the Rock Band drum kit doesn't actually "add notes" to the drumming it just gives you the option to either hit the cymbal or the same colored drum pad? It will make a different noise depending on which one you hit, but it isn't actually adding notes, correct? That is what I understood from reading the description on Gamestop. So basically they are just there for show...kinda..

Ok so far I am finding it pretty frustrating using the GH WT drumkit with Rockband, mainly because the way the notes were designed, which is of course not the game makers fault as it was designed for an instrument in which the color pattern is different. It just doesn't translate well because of the difference in design, one four drum pads, and the other being 3 drum pads and 2 elevated cymbals, it just feels unnatural for someone who up till today has been a GH player.

I guess it depends on which kit you start with. I had problems with the GH kit, making my brain remember that blue was the second pad. And the lanes alternated between pads and cymbals. I'm used to just going left and right, never mind up and down.

Oh and lemme know if I have this correct, the cymbal expansion pack for the Rock Band drum kit doesn't actually "add notes" to the drumming it just gives you the option to either hit the cymbal or the same colored drum pad? It will make a different noise depending on which one you hit, but it isn't actually adding notes, correct? That is what I understood from reading the description on Gamestop. So basically they are just there for show...kinda..

That sounds about right. When you're playing with just the standard kit in Rock Band 2, during fills, you're just making snare and tom sounds. If you've got cymbal attachments, they'll make cymbal sounds.

Unfortunately, for songs like "Everlong" or "Orange Crush", the hi-hat is still charted to Red, so there's not really any good way to set up the cymbal attachments there. I don't think you can set the cymbal attachment to red, and even if you could, the chart might switch snare and hi-hat around between red and yellow in the middle of the song anyways. I know it does in "DOA" by Foo Fighters, for example.

Press release for Rock Band Unplugged on the PSP, coming June 9th, with a PSP bundle announced as well:

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133487

And of interest for non-PSPers:

The following tracks will launch exclusively through Rock Band Unplugged on the PSP system for a limited time before becoming downloadable content for the other platforms:

3 Doors Down - "Kryptonite"

AFI - "Miss Murder"

Alice in Chains - "Would?"

Audioslave - "Gasoline"

Black Tide - "Show Me the Way"

Blink 182 - "What's My Age Again"

Freezepop - "Less Talk More Rokk"

Jackson 5 - "ABC"

Tenacious D - "Rock Your Socks"

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133929

It is my pleasure to announce an album next week for all three consoles - Guns N' Roses Chinese Democracy.

Next week’s Rock Band Music Store lineup will feature 13 songs from Chinese Democracy. With “Shackler’s Revenge” from Chinese Democracy already featured on the Rock Band 2 soundtrack, the DLC album includes the following tracks:

Tracks:

"Chinese Democracy"

"Better"

"Street of Dreams"

"If the World"

"There Was a Time"

"Catcher in the Rye"

"Scraped"

"Riad N’ the Bedouins"

"Sorry"

"I.R.S."

"Madagascar"

"This I Love"

"Prostitute"

(All tracks are original master recordings)

The tracks will be available for purchase as an album or individual tracks for Xbox 360 and PLAYSTATION 3 system. The tracks will be available for purchase as individual tracks only for Wii.

Release Date:

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

(Xbox LIVE Marketplace for Xbox 360 and in-game Rock Band 2 Music Store for Wii)

Thursday, April 16, 2009

(PlayStation®Store)

** Dates for Rock Band game tracks are tentative and subject to change **

Price:

$1.99 or 160 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360 per track

$2.00 or 200 Wii Points for Wii per track

$19.99 (1600 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) for album

So I'm on the fence over which path I will take to get RockBand so I'll throw my 2 ideas out for you guys:

1) I can buy Guitar Hero World Tour's Guitar only bundle at WalMart for $79.99, trade in GHWT for RB2 and take it from there.

2) I can buy RockBand 1 for $99.99 pretty much anywhere and later, trade RB 1 for RB2

The only reason why I am even debating on what I want to do is because of the drums. I live in an apartment building and I have an old bitch who lives below me who lives to complain every time there is a bit of noise (which I can see the kick drum causing some issues). Since I really only want the guitar and maybe the mic, buying the RB2 bundle has never really been much of an option.

I guess the one thing to consider is that if you buy Rock Band 2 used, it's possible you won't get a code for the 20 bonus songs. It's on the back of the instruction manual, and can only be redeemed for one Xbox Live/PlayStation Network account. There's a few good tunes in there, and you can't buy them separately.

The Rock Band 1 hardware is not all that great. It's not especially reliable, and there's only a 60-day manufacturer's warranty. I believe they still pay for shipping for RMAs, though, which is more than I can say for RedOctane/Activision. If you're worried about noise, the RB1 drums would be your worst option. The pads are pretty loud.

Maybe check out Costco. I remember hearing about a deal on either the Guitar Hero III or Guitar Hero: Aerosmith guitar bundles for about $30. Neither game is all that great, IMO (and GH:A is either $5 or $10 at EB now), but that's a pretty decent deal even for just a guitar.

If you decide you do want to go that route, I think the Rock Band 2 bundles are $150 at Wal-Mart now.

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135416

Take a gander at the DLC coming out on the week of 4/21! To tie in with one of the current Rock Band sponsored tours, there's a sweet 7 track pack of REO Speedwagon and Styx songs to whet your classic rock whistle. Not enough? Top it off with a Hautewerk 3 pack for dessert! Here's the track listing:

REO Speedwagon - "Riding the Storm Out"

REO Speedwagon - "Roll with the Changes"

REO Speedwagon - "Take It on the Run"

Styx - "Blue Collar Man (Long Nights)"

Styx - "Renegade"

Styx - "Too Much Time On My Hands"

Styx / REO Speedwagon - "Can't Stop Rockin'"

Hautewerk - "Alone in My Head"

Hautewerk - "I Know Where You Came From"

Hautewerk - "Stop Start Again"

All tracks are master recordings.

Release Dates:

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 (Xbox LIVE Marketplace for Xbox 360®)

Thursday, April 23, 2009 (PlayStation®Store)

Pricing:

$1.99 (160 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) per track

$10.99 (880 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) “REO Speedwagon / Styx Tour ’09 Pack”

$5.49 (440 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) “Hautewerk Pack 01”

There's some tricky chord changes in "Headphones On" on guitar.

Some of the free and/or kids songs actually aren't bad. "Promised Land" is a little dry through most of the song, but has a decent solo. "Body I Occupy" by The Naked Brothers is supposed to be really good on drums, and it's only a buck.

Hmmm... as much as the name Naked Brothers Band makes me question those in charge at Nickelodeon today, I will have to check this out. "Promised Land" made me laugh because I downloaded it for free not knowing what it was. When I was one of the 14 people to see The Rocker, I sat there trying to figure out how I knew that song and it hit me, the song by Will Arnett's band was on Rock Band.

legorb.jpg

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136243

WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT, TT GAMES, THE LEGO GROUP, HARMONIX AND MTV GAMES ANNOUNCE LEGO® ROCK BAND®

Rhythm Based Music Game Snaps Together Best-Selling Franchises to Create Fun Family-Friendly Experience for All Ages

Burbank, Calif. – April 21 2009 – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and TT Games are joining forces with the LEGO Group, Harmonix and MTV Games, a part of Viacom’s MTV Networks (NYSE: VIA and VIA.B), to merge two of the most popular videogame franchises with the creation of LEGO® Rock Band®. The unique family-friendly music experience is currently in development by TT Games in partnership with Harmonix, and published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. The game, which will allow families, tweens and teens to experience a wild journey to rock stardom where they can “Build a Band and Rock the Universe,” will be available for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and Wii™ home videogame console. LEGO Rock Band for Nintendo DS™ will be co-developed by TT Games and Harmonix in partnership with Backbone Entertainment, a Foundation 9 Entertainment studio. All versions are scheduled for release holiday 2009.

LEGO Rock Band combines the multiplayer music experience of Rock Band® with the fun, customization and humor of the LEGO videogame franchise packed with brilliant chart-topping songs and classic favorites suitable for younger audiences, including:

Blur: “Song 2”

Carl Douglas: “Kung Fu Fighting”

Europe: “The Final Countdown”

Good Charlotte: “Boys and Girls”

Pink: “So What”

Players will become rockers as they embark on a journey to stardom that the whole family can enjoy as they work their way through local venues, stadiums and fantasy locations on Earth and beyond that mimic the imaginative settings that the LEGO world offers. Also continuing the LEGO “build-and-play” gaming experience, players will be able to create their own LEGO Rock Band style as they customize their minifigure avatars, band and entourage, including roadies, managers and crew. LEGO Rock Band supports Rock Band instruments, as well as other music game controllers.

“LEGO Rock Band combines two compelling properties and creates an experience that family members of all ages will enjoy playing together as a group,” said Tom Stone, Managing Director, TT Games. “Harmonix and MTV Games are the world experts in music gameplay, and we’re genuinely thrilled to bring the unique and humor-filled LEGO experience to their Rock Band universe.”

“We’re thrilled to offer another LEGO branded gaming experience that will deliver humorous and social play for families and friends,” said Henrik Taudorf Lorensen, Vice President, the LEGO Group. “LEGO Rock Band is built around the same values of imagination and family-friendly creative role play that is present in other LEGO videogames. It will deliver innovative new elements of game play that complement the fun of the Rock Band experience.”

“Rock Band is a social game experience that crosses every generation and every genre of rock,” said Bob Picunko, Senior Vice President of Electronic Games for MTV Games. “Harmonix and MTV Games are big fans of the LEGO game franchise and excited to work with TT Games to develop a new take on Rock Band that focuses on great music and LEGO humor that’s fun for the whole family.”

I really don't get the point of Lego Rock Band. Sure, it will probably make a good profit, but a lot of younger players probably don't have the coordination to be able to play anything like a game like Rock Band, so I'm not really sure what audience they are shooting for here.

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136759

Next week’s Rock Band Music Store lineup will feature ten tracks from Nothing’s Shocking with “Mountain Song” from Nothing’s Shocking already featured on the Rock Band 2 soundtrack. The DLC album includes the following tracks:

Tracks:

“Up the Beach”

“Ocean Size”

“Had a Dad”

“Ted, Just Admit It…”

“Standing in the Shower… Thinking”

“Summertime Rolls”

“Idiots Rule”

“Jane Says”

“Thank You Boys”

“Pig’s in Zen”

The tracks will be available for purchase as an album or as individual tracks for Xbox 360 and PLAYSTATION 3 system. The tracks will be available for purchase as individual tracks only for Wii.

Release Date:

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

(Xbox LIVE Marketplace for Xbox 360® and in-game Rock Band 2 Music Store for Wii)

Thursday, April 30, 2009

(PlayStation®Store)

Price:

$15.99 (1280Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) for Nothing’s Shocking album

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137972

Next week we have a nice, varied selection of tracks coming out. Who do we have? How about the Allman Brothers Band? What about a Franz Ferdinand 3-pack? Or some Luscious Jackson, Alien Ant Farm . What if we followed that up with some, I don't know, Prong and The Distillers. Will that work for you? Works for me.

We'll announce the Wii tracks for next week on Monday, see you then.

Tracks:

Franz Ferdinand - "Do You Want To"

Franz Ferdinand - "Lucid Dreams"

Franz Ferdinand - "Take Me Out"

Alien Ant Farm - "Smooth Criminal"

Allman Bros - "Blue Sky"

Allman Bros - "Midnight Rider"

Distillers - "Drain the Blood"

Luscious Jackson - "Naked Eye"

Prong - "Idealistic Types"

Prong - "The Banishment"

Price:

$1.99 or 160 Microsoft Points per track

$5.49 or 440 Microsoft Points for Franz Ferdinand 3-pack

Locations:

Xbox LIVE Marketplace for Xbox 360

PlayStation®Network

Release Date:

Tuesday, May 5, 2009 (Xbox LIVE Marketplace for Xbox 360®)

Thursday, May 7, 2009 (PlayStation®Store)

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139189

Sorry for the slight delay in posting. Server issues... exciting! Here's the DLC announcement for tracks coming out next week. Hopefully there's a little something for everyone in this varied assortment of tracks. Dig in!

Social Distortion - "Bad Luck"

Social Distortion - "Ring of Fire"

Social Distortion - "Story of My Life"

Disturbed - "Stricken"

Disturbed - "Stupify"

Steely Dan - "Black Friday"

Steely Dan - "My Old School"

Elvis Costello - "Radio Radio"

The Replacements - "Kids Don't Follow"

All tracks are master recordings.

Release Dates:

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 (Xbox LIVE Marketplace for Xbox 360® and in-game Rock Band 2 Music Store for Wii)

Thursday, May 14, 2009 (PlayStation®Store)

Price:

$5.49 (440 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) for “Social Distortion Pack 01”

Neat. "Stricken" is one of the few Guitar Hero III songs I genuinely enjoy. Doesn't mean I'll grab it, necessarily, but I'll check it out.

1.png

Pics of Lennon's and Harrison's stand alone gutairs to be able to buy with Beatles: Rockband. For 99 dollars, hopefully together and not each because I might buy Lennon's but not for a c-note.

a.png

1.png

Pics of Lennon's and Harrison's stand alone gutairs to be able to buy with Beatles: Rockband. For 99 dollars, hopefully together and not each because I might buy Lennon's but not for a c-note.

Had some extra HTTPs in there.

I have a feeling it is $99 each, given that the standalone RB2 guitar is $69. Licensing costs/gratuitous Beatles markup FTW.

Or maybe it's actually a better guitar. I dunno. I haven't especially liked any Rock Band guitar I've used yet, so an improvement would be nice.

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139957

MTV GAMES, HARMONIX and EA HEAD TO NASHVILLE WITH

ROCK BAND™ COUNTRY TRACK PACK™

Kenny Chesney, Alan Jackson, Rascal Flatts, Kenny Rogers, Shania Twain and More Join the Rock Band Platform July 21, 2009

Cambridge, MA – May 12, 2009 -- Harmonix, the leading developer of music-based games, and MTV Games, a part of Viacom’s MTV Networks, (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), along with distribution partner Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS), today announced plans for a July 21, 2009 North American release of Rock Band™ Country Track Pack™ for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 and PlayStation®2 computer entertainment systems, and Wii™ system from Nintendo.

“Rock Band loves country music too, and these tracks are among the most fun to play of any we've released to date,” said Paul DeGooyer, Senior Vice President of Electronic Games & Music for MTV Networks Music Group. “We’ve received a ton of requests from fans to bring more country to the game, and our artist partners responded. We're very excited to be able to offer this set, featuring some of the greatest songs ever recorded.”

Rock Band Country Track Pack is a standalone software product that allows owners of Rock Band® and Rock Band®2 to keep the party going with 21 songs from an outstanding mix of country artists, including Kenny Chesney, Alan Jackson, Shania Twain, Rascal Flatts and the legendary Kenny Rogers. Many of the tracks will be exclusive to the Rock Band Country Track Pack disc for a limited time before joining the Rock Band® Music Store as downloadable content. Additional artists and songs from the track list will be announced in the coming months.

In addition, Rock Band Country Track Pack, like all Rock Band software, is compatible with all Rock Band instrument controllers, as well as most Guitar Hero® and other current third party video game instrument controllers.

Fans who buy the Rock Band Country Track Pack for Xbox 360 and PLAYSTATION 3 system can play directly from the disc or download the songs onto their consoles’ hard drives through a free offer with Xbox LIVE® online entertainment network or the PlayStation®Network. Once downloaded, the songs will automatically appear in the player’s custom Rock Band library and can be integrated into setlists and played in all game modes. With more than 660 tracks available in the Rock Band music catalogue and regular releases of downloadable content every week, Rock Band Country Track Pack is yet another way music-lovers can continue to expand and customize their music libraries.

First Confirmed Songs for ROCK BAND COUNTRY TRACK PACK:

Artist - Song - Title

1. Alan Jackson - "Good Time"

2. Brooks & Dunn - "Hillbilly Deluxe"

3. Dierks Bentley - "Free & Easy (Down the Road I Go)"

4. Dixie Chicks - "Sin Wagon"

5. Drive-By Truckers - "3 Dimes Down"

6. Jason Aldean - "She’s Country"

7. Kenny Chesney - "She Thinks My Tractor’s Sexy"

8. Kenny Rogers - "The Gambler"

9. Lucinda Williams - "Can’t Let Go"

10. Martina McBride - "This One’s For the Girls"

11. Rascal Flatts - "Me and My Gang"

12. Shania Twain - "Any Man of Mine"

13. Steve Earle - "Satellite Radio"

Price: $29.99 MSRP

I bolded a few extra key points there.

Courtesy of the Rock Band newsletter is next week's DLC:

Alice Cooper

"Billion Dollar Babies (Live)"

"Poison"

"I'm Eighteen (Live)"

"School's Out (Live)"

"Under My Wheels (Live)"

"Vengeance is Mine"

Taking Back Sunday

"Liar (It Takes One To Know One)"

"MakeDamnSure"

"What's It Feel Like To Be A Ghost?"

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141630

Next week we have a 3-pack from Ministry, two from The Zombies, and one from The Cranberries. Don't linger on these tracks once they show up in the store. HA! Hahahahahahahaha!

I'll go back in my hole now.

Tracks:

Ministry - “Cuz U R Next”

Ministry - “LiesLiesLies”

Ministry - “The Great Satan”

The Zombies - “She’s Not There”

The Zombies - “Tell Her No”

The Cranberries - “Linger”

The Ministry tracks will be available for purchase as part of the “Ministry Pack 01” or as individual tracks for Xbox 360 and PLAYSTATION 3 system. These tracks will be available for purchase as individual tracks only for Wii.

Release Date:

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

(Xbox LIVE Marketplace for Xbox 360 and in-game Rock Band 2 Music Store for Wii)

Thursday, May 28, 2009

(PlayStation®Store)

Price:

$1.99 (160 Microsoft Points) for Xbox 360 per track

$2.00 (200 Wii Points for Wii) per track

$5.49 (440 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) for “Ministry Pack 01”

Courtesy of the Rock Band newsletter again:

Coming June 9th is a 12-pack of Iron Maiden tracks. "These are original master recordings, combining the classic album tracks with awesome live recordings from the band's critically acclaimed tour documentary Flight 666."

"Aces High (Live)"

"2 Minutes to Midnight"

"The Trooper"

"Wasted Years"

"The Number of the Beast"

"Run to the Hills"

"Can I Play with Madness"

"The Clairvoyant"

"Powerslave"

"Fear of the Dark (Live)"

"Hallowed Be Thy Name (Live)"

"Iron Maiden (Live)"

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142793

So Iron Maiden comes in two weeks but what's next week? It is the Bonnaroo Pack in honor of the Bonnaroo Music and Arts festival in Tennessee (which I am sadly not going to this year). Who do we have? How about Ben Harper, how about the much requested Coheed and Cambria, or Phish, or Shooter jennings, or TV on the Radio? yeah we have all those in a big six-pack coming next week.

Tracks:

Ben Harper and Relentless7 - “Shimmer & Shine”

Coheed and Cambria - “A Favor House Atlantic”

Coheed and Cambria - “The Running Free”

Phish - “Wilson (Live)”

Shooter Jennings - “Steady at the Wheel”

TV on the Radio - “Wolf Like Me”

These tracks will be available for purchase as part of the “Bonnaroo Pack” or as individual tracks for Xbox 360 and PLAYSTATION 3 systems.

Release Date:

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

(Xbox LIVE Marketplace for Xbox 360)

Thursday, June 4, 2009

(PlayStation®Store)

Price:

$1.99 (160 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) per track

$9.99 (800 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) for “Bonnaroo Pack”

Locations: Xbox LIVE Marketplace for Xbox 360

PlayStation®Network