TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

The road to the Stanley Cup begins.

I don't think that picking Calgary is a bad pick and honestly, I don't think that picking any team from the West is a bad pick. I could see any team from the West getting to the Final, even Minnesota.

I'll agree with that. My angry reply was over his arrogance, not over his prediction.

Banky? Arrogant? You're joking.

Jack Adams is probably going to Ruff with Nolan not too far behind. How many of you guys predicted the Isles to finish dead last? Every expert did as well....Nolan deserves tons of credit.

I'm pretty sure Therrein will get it over Ruff and Nolan.

i'm so glad i get that dynamite atlanta/new york game on nbc due to living in the state of georgia. ugh.

on the bright side, if they make a playoff run there's the distinct possibility i get playoff tickets, so i'm taking the thrash to go all the way. and win all of their series in seven games.

Thank God for Center Ice.

All the series that I care about are on regularly anyway, considering that the Heim series is on regular TV. Besides, as some of those series on versus end early, other games will be added.

Guest Queen Leelee
Jack Adams is probably going to Ruff with Nolan not too far behind. How many of you guys predicted the Isles to finish dead last? Every expert did as well....Nolan deserves tons of credit.

No. Being the 17th best team in a 30-team league does not deserve praise. That team is not that bad. Most people picked Philly as a deep playoff team. Most people had no idea what they were talking about in the preseason.

But, don't worry, he'll get it. We'll hear approximately 228 synonyms of "hardworking" to describe Nolan during the next 4-5 Islander games.

Guest Queen Leelee

Lunqvist had a stretch of good games late in the season, but I'm still not sold on him. Whereas Lehtonen had to carry that team to wins for the entire year.

Surprised the playoffs are here already. I really haven't been following the NHL at all this year. I'll still watch a few of the Senators' playoff games, but I don't really see them getting too far and with the Mavericks so close to finally winning a championship, that's where my focus will be.

CG's post reminded me how much of a knownothing I am. Thanks.

Flames d. Wings in 6

Preds d. Sharks in 7

Stars d. Canucks in 5

Bombays d. Wild in 6

Slugs d. Isles in 4

Pens d. Sens in 7

Thrashers d. Rags in 6

Devils d. Bolts in 5

This is my favorite time of year. Huzzah for the playoffs!

East:

1. Buffalo Sabres vs 8. New York Islanders

Buffalo in five. The Sabres should have no real trouble advancing over the weakest team in the playoffs.

2. New Jersey Devils vs 7. Tampa Bay Lightning

New Jersey in six. The Lightning are a good team but they are so inconsistent sometimes that I don't think they can beat the rock solid Devils, especially with a focused Brodeur.

3. Atlanta Thrashers vs 6. New York Rangers

New York in seven. I think this might be the best first round series and either team could take it. The Rangers experience, especially Jagr, will put them over I think.

4. Ottawa Senators vs 5. Pittsburgh Penguins

Ottawa in six. I think the Penguins are too inexperienced. These should be some good games though.

West:

1. Detroit Red Wings vs 8. Calgary Flames

Detroit in seven. Home ice advantage will be everything in this series. I think Detroit is the better overall team and that will propel them to the next round.

2. Anaheim Ducks vs 7. Minnesota Wild

Minnesota in seven. I'm a Wild fan, so I'm a little biased, but I think they can do it. They went on a really good stretch to finish the season and are the deepest they have ever been. I would not be surprised by a Ducks win though.

3. Vancouver Canucks vs 6. Dallas Stars

Vancouver in six. That is, if Luongo is a good playoff goalie. I think he will be. The Canucks won't make it out of the second round if they win though.

4. Nashville Predators vs 5. San Jose Sharks

Nashville in seven. This should be some awesome hockey and is probably the hardest series to call. Hopefully Forsberg can stay healthy. If he does, I think he'll be the biggest factor in the series.

the flames have been underachieving all year. i just think its canadian hockey fans pipedream that they'll have a team in the finals this year. i can see ottawa before calgary. even vancouver. calgary is just a poorly coached team playing without any passion or conviction. if they do anything, kiprusoff will actually have to play amazing, which he hasn't.

(1) Detroit Red Wings vs. (8) Calgary Flames I'm not sure that either of these teams are as good as some people will give them credit for. Detroit has a lot of question marks in Hasek, Bertuzzi, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg. If all are healthy and can elevate their game, then Detroit wins. Calgary has better special teams and is dominant on home ice. A split in Detroit would be huge.Flames in 6.

(4) Nashville Predators vs. (5) San Jose Sharks Flip a coin. These are arguably the best two teams in the West and both are as capable of anyone of winning the Cup. This series could very well come down to special teams, specifically the Sharks PP against the Preds PK. If Sullivan is healthy, I believe the Preds have the slight edge.Predators in 7.

(3) Vancouver Canucks vs. (6) Dallas Stars Potentially the two weakest teams in the West, both of these teams are lucky to draw each other in the opening round. This will be a very low scoring series that will come down to special teams. I'm going with the Canucks here, simply because they posted an equal record to the Stars while playing in the Northwest.Canucks in 6.

(2) Anaheim Ducks vs. (7) Minnesota Wild The other two Western teams (along with Nashville and San Jose) that could play for the Cup and one is going home in the first round. An interesting stat that I haven't seen anywhere yet is the fact that Minnesota was 33-10-5 with Gaborik and 15-16-3 without him. Combine that with the fact that they play in a much tougher division, I feel that they are slightly a better team than San Jose.Wild in 7.

(1) Buffalo Sabres vs. (8) New York Islanders DiPietro could help make this somewhat interesting. While I like the mix of the Islanders, the Sabres are just so deep and can throw four strong lines at you. Sabres in 5

(4) Ottawa Senators vs. (5) Pittsburgh Penguins This one could be a dandy. The Sens are basically in must win mode and anything else would be a disappointment after the struggles over the past few seasons. The Pens may just be happy to be there. While I really like the addition of Roberts, ultimately, I think the Sens are a bit deeper and more experienced and both of those factors will prove to be the deciding factor. Senators in 6.

(3) Atlanta Thrashers vs. (6) New York Rangers I don't see either of these teams going very deep. Atlanta has awful special teams, although they addressed that somewhat with the additions of Zhitnik and Dupuis. They do have more depth than the Rangers though. Henrik is obviously the key, but Shanahan and Avery could be huge factors as well. If the Rangers steal one in Atlanta, then I think that Jagr will decide they have a chance and decide to play.Rangers in 7.

(2) New Jersey Devils vs. (7) Tampa Bay Lightning This could have the makings of a very good series with high powered offence of the Lightning facing the stingy play of the Devils. The Lightning desperately need Brad Richards to start earning his money if they hope to win. Tampa's lack of a goalie and awful PK will be their downfall.Devils in 5.

Conference Semi-Finals

(3) Vancouver Canucks v. (8) Calgary Flames - Flames in 6

(4) Nashville Predators v. (7) Minnesota Wild - Wild in 7

(1) Buffalo Sabres v. (6) New York Rangers - Sabres in 6

(2) New Jersey Devils v. (4) Ottawa Senators - Devils in 7

Conference Finals

(7) Minnesota Wild v. (8) Calgary Flames - Wild in 6

(1) Buffalo Sabres v. (2) New Jersey Devils - Sabres in 7

Stanley Cup Final

(1) Buffalo Sabres v. (7) Minnesota Wild - Wild in 7

Guest Queen Leelee

The playoffs are always great. As long as the Devils get knocked out early.

CG's post reminded me how much of a knownothing I am. Thanks.

You and I pretty well broke even, and the most successful was also a Bruins fan....if that helps.

I've also got Therien as Adams, winning out of Ruff and Vigneault. I'd forgotten about him, good call Baron. As good as Lundqvist was the second half, as underappreciated as DiPietro and Lehtnonen (sp?) were, as important as Luongo were, Brodeur did set the record for most wins. He deserves it.

Guest Queen Leelee

What was with everyone taking Jagr for the Hart. Yeesh.

That October thread brought back memories of the storm, and all the Sabres' fans that still sold out that Rangers game during it. It's a special season for them. They'll still lose in a horrible way, though.

At least your team has something to play for. I'd rather be in that position and lose than be striving for 3rd pick brilliance. Watching my team be this bad makes me put my fist through the wall after every goal scored, but I have to remind myself that it's a rebuild.

It would feel way worse if my team missed the playoffs by a point. I'd call in sick to work the next day.

the wild in 7? care to put money on that?

whats the matter with you people. its amazing what a few fluke playoff series will do to your brains. quit trying to seem provocative & work within the boundries of reality.

I really don't understand how Minnesota will win the Cup, especially against Buffalo.

Though any team from the Western conference can make it to the cup realistically.

like, anyone can win the cup, but people are trying to make sexy picks just so they can look back in 3 months & say "i told you so". any hockey expert, or anyone with an sincere unbiased taste in hockey last year would not have picked the oilers. if you did, you weren't a real hockey fan. teams can get hot, but it is impossible to pick. based on the facts & hockey knowledge, teams like the islanders & wild should not even be uttered in the same breath as the sabres or wings...or even the penguins.

As good as Lundqvist was the second half, as underappreciated as DiPietro and Lehtnonen (sp?) were, as important as Luongo were, Brodeur did set the record for most wins. He deserves it.

That would be about the worst reason to give it to any goalie. He started 78 games! If his team's any good, of course he'll set the wins record! Dan Cloutier had three straight 30-win seasons, and he was terrible! Andrew Raycroft won 37 games this season! Win total is a meaningless stat!

If he'd played more, I'd give the Vezina to Backstrom. But, he only played half the season, so I'd say it's a toss-up between Brodeur and Luongo, with Brodeur getting it because his numbers are very slightly better.

I still think the East Final will come down to Ottawa and Buffalo and the West to San Jose and Anaheim with the Sharks and, sadly since the Sens are my team and all, Buffalo making the finals.

In the final I'm picking Buffalo to finally bring glory to the city and win the cup.