TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Danville_Wrestling

Imus Remarks

I'm surprised no one has posted anything about this yet. I think this is a story that is getting WAY more attention than it deserves but just wanted to see some opinions of people on the board:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/I/IMU...-04-09-14-19-22

NEW YORK (AP) -- Don Imus had a hot seat on the other side of the microphone Monday, appearing on the Rev. Al Sharpton's radio show and enduring more criticism for his offensive comments about the Rutgers women's basketball team.

Imus issued another apology for referring to members of the team as "nappy-headed hos." Sharpton called the comments "abominable" and "racist" and repeated his demand that Imus be fired.

"Our agenda is to be funny and sometimes we go too far. And this time we went way too far," Imus said on "The Al Sharpton Show."

The meeting prompted a series of testy exchanges, and Imus grew visibly frustrated at times. During one exchange, Imus said he can't win with "you people." Sharpton was clearly irritated by that remark.

In another encounter, Sharpton said, "If you walk away from this unscathed ..."

"How am I unscathed by this?" Imus interrupted. "Don't you think I'm humiliated?"

During commercial breaks, Sharpton walked out of the studio and said few words to Imus.

Earlier Monday, on his own radio show, Imus called himself "a good person" who made a bad mistake.

"Here's what I've learned: that you can't make fun of everybody, because some people don't deserve it," he said on his show, which is nationally syndicated to millions of listeners. "And because the climate on this program has been what it's been for 30 years doesn't mean that it has to be that way for the next five years or whatever because that has to change, and I understand that."

He pointed to his involvement with the Imus Ranch, a working cattle ranch for children with cancer and blood disorders in New Mexico. Ten percent of the children who come to the ranch are black, he said.

"I'm not a white man who doesn't know any African-Americans," he said.

On the radio show, Sharpton said that Imus' good deeds do not make up for what he said about the Rutgers team, which includes eight black women.

"This is not about whether you're a good man," Sharpton said. "What you said was racist."

Imus said he hoped to meet the Rutgers players and their parents and coaches, and that he was grateful for the appearance on Sharpton's nationally syndicated show.

"It's not going to be easy, but I'm not looking for it to be easy," Imus said.

Meanwhile, the Rev. Jesse Jackson and about 50 others marched Monday outside the Chicago offices of NBC, the General Electric Co. subsidiary that owns MSNBC, carrying signs and shouting "Imus must go." Jackson said Imus' comments contribute to "a climate of degradation" and stem from a lack of blacks as program hosts.

Imus made the now infamous remark during his show Wednesday.

The Rutgers team, which includes eight black women, had lost the day before in the NCAA women's championship game. Imus was speaking with producer Bernard McGuirk about the game when the exchange began on "Imus in the Morning." The show is broadcast on more than 70 stations and MSNBC.

"That's some rough girls from Rutgers," Imus said. "Man, they got tattoos ... ."

"Some hardcore hos," McGuirk said.

"That's some nappy-headed hos there, I'm going to tell you that," Imus said.

Imus apologized on the air Friday, but his mea culpa has not quieted the uproar.

James E. Harris, president of the New Jersey chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, demanded Sunday that Imus "resign or be terminated immediately."

Allison Gollust, a spokeswoman for MSNBC, said the network considers Imus' comments "deplorable" and was reviewing the matter.

Karen Mateo, a spokeswoman for CBS Radio - Imus' employer and the owner of his New York radio home, WFAN-AM - said the company was "disappointed" in Imus' actions and characterized his comments as "completely inappropriate."

Although I think Imus's remark was bad as there are some things you just can't kid about in America today due to our "p.c. culture" I don't think he should be fired for it. He's making up for his actions and people like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are just trying to draw attention to themselves by getting involved in this issue. I don't think he'll get fired over the remark because if he was going to it would've already happened by now but it'll take a while for this one to blow over that's for sure.

Shouldn't get fired. It was a really bad joke though, and the guy should have thought about backlash before saying what he said. That's the main problem with these sorts of incidents, is that guys like Imus try to be way too funny with no regard for how other people may interpret what they say.

"nappy-headed hos." I'm assuming the team is all black then. I don't know what is exactly racist about saying some women are hardcore nappy headed tatooed hos? Unless they are actually admitting to having nappy hair, which is generally true.

I'm so fucking sick of Jackson and Sharpton attaching themselves to these stories and blowing them way out of proportion.

One apology by the I-man was bad enough. The way he conducted himself on the show today was the worst thing that he could have done. I have a bad feeling that Imus is going to be fired for this non-story.

Guest Eagle Man

The best part of the story is that update man Sid Rosenberg seems to be part of it, who got fired a few years ago for calling the Williams sisters man-beasts. He must have been filling in.

I think that women's groups should be more offended (if anyone else) than Al Sharpton should be, but what do I know.

That baggy-eyed Tom Waits doppelganger isn't exactly the one to be calling anyone out for their looks or hairstyle...

"nappy-headed hos." I'm assuming the team is all black then. I don't know what is exactly racist about saying some women are hardcore nappy headed tatooed hos? Unless they are actually admitting to having nappy hair, which is generally true.

Nothing really. Just wanted to point out something stupid.

Oh wait...I have to contribute to the thread. Yes what he said was racist, should he be fired, I personally don't care. He rips on Christians all the time, you would think two "men of god" like SHarpton and Jackson would have jumped on him earlier, but I guess there isn't any money in defending Christians.

It IS racist? Oh....

It just said on the local news station that he's getting fired, or at least suspended.

I'm pretty irrated with all of the coverage its been getting. MSNBC is treating this story like Watergate or something, by giving it the big banner at the top of their their website and devoting huge portions of their evening programming to covering his suspension.

"OH MY GOD A MIDDLE-AGED WHITE MAN SAID SOMETHING RACIST!!!!!"

Fake outrage annoys me. He said something stupid. Move on. He isn't the first and isn't the last person walking the earth that will say something stupid.

I'm pretty irrated with all of the coverage its been getting. MSNBC is treating this story like Watergate or something, by giving it the big banner at the top of their their website and devoting huge portions of their evening programming to covering his suspension.

Their line is pretty much, "we air the guy, so what he said was his own personal view and not ours, so we want to distance ourselves from him as far as humanly possible, but still want to look like saints among some viewers because we let him keep his job."

It's pretty fucking pathetic.

I can't believe Imus is apologizing. This is the best thing to ever happen to him. The guy has been irrelevant for the last 20 years and now people are finally talking about him again.

Guest Queen Leelee
I think that women's groups should be more offended (if anyone else) than Al Sharpton should be, but what do I know.

Definitely. Assuming a group of basketball players are a slang word of prostitutes seems much worse to me than a rather vague racist comment.

But, sexism isn't the oppressive flavor of the decade.

This story just proves that Freedom of speech is being taking away just a little more every day. Was it stupid? Your damn right but he shouldn't be fired over it. He should be fired for sucking for the past 20 years.

You can, but I'm not gonna argue with someone as stupid as you.

Now, maybe you can, but it doesn't really count.

Remember a few hundred years ago?

We were bad :(

Imus should of just came out and said that it was a joke and maybe it was a bad joke and then told every body to forget about it and whenever that fat fuck Sharpton came calling he should bring up all the fucked up things he's done in his past before he MADE himself a minister and Jesse Jackson too...instead Imus has shown fear and now Sharpton and CO. feel like now that Imus is cornered they won't leave him alone. I hate this ridiculous shit and it's things like this that keep racial divides open..not Imus's comments(which are not racist) but rather the inability to let throw away comments like this alone...

It's not a big deal, and has been getting way to much news coverage.

But, that said, as to if it's racist or not? HE CALLED THEM JIGABOOS. And very closely said that white girls are cute and black girls are hos.

It's not a big deal, and has been getting way to much news coverage.

But, that said, as to if it's racist or not? HE CALLED THEM JIGABOOS. And very closely said that white girls are cute and black girls are hos.

The "Jigaboos v. Wannabes" line is from School Daze, a Spike Lee joint.