TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Danville_Wrestling

Imus Remarks

Speech is free. So are the consequences of speech. Radio air waves are regulated. He has boundries in which he has to adhere to. If can call everyone nappy headed hoes all he wants, but you can't bitch about the consequences of your actions if you do so.

And who's saying there shouldn't be any consequences? The issue is whether the consequences he's having to face are proportionate to the remarks that he made.

And they're not. He told a dumb joke. Somehow, that's supposed to be so awful and offensive that he has to be suspended for two weeks. Eric is right about context. The problem is that no one seems to care about the context anymore.

I will seriously mock and laugh in the face of anyone who brings slavery up as some reason.....no one alive today was a slave or owned slaves.

Oh, Mecca, you've outsmarted us all. :(

Even if he does get fired, Someone else will hire him. Probably go to Satalite radio or something. Imus will never change and neither will Sharpton and Jackson.

during any 'racial controversy' you can always tell which people harbor a racial dislike, because at the end of the day, they're more upset that they can't be racist without people criticizing than they are about the actual racism!!!

metroman summed this thread up nicely here.

I can't believe this story has gotten so big. There are countless rap songs that refer to women as MUCH MUCH worse things than "nappy headed ho's".

Speech is free. So are the consequences of speech. Radio air waves are regulated. He has boundries in which he has to adhere to. If can call everyone nappy headed hoes all he wants, but you can't bitch about the consequences of your actions if you do so.

And who's saying there shouldn't be any consequences? The issue is whether the consequences he's having to face are proportionate to the remarks that he made.

And they're not. He told a dumb joke. Somehow, that's supposed to be so awful and offensive that he has to be suspended for two weeks. Eric is right about context. The problem is that no one seems to care about the context anymore.

Yes, and Michael Richards told a dumb "joke". I am not a joke expert but making a racist comment about someone isn't really a joke. Its making a racist comment. Calling them "nappy headed hoes" is as much as a "joke" as pointing at a black person and saying "NIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGER"

This is why comedians, white and black, can tell jokes with a race based slant and get away with it. There is a difference between a joke and name calling.

If YOU called someone a nappy headed hoe at your job, you would be fired. Two weeks for racist name calling sounds fair I guess. The most fair thing is the press that he has gotten and hopefully it will cut back on some of his guest on the show.

SOMEHOW it supposed to be so offensive?

Really, when does Anti-PC stop? Its past the point of laughable now. Its a bigger joke that the Ultra-PC movement.

I can't believe this story has gotten so big. There are countless rap songs that refer to women as MUCH MUCH worse things than "nappy headed ho's".

Gimme a call when 3 Six Mafia gets a big time TV and radio show where they interview senators and presidential candidates.

Stupidest fucking argument in the history of forever.

I can't believe the OJ case got so big. There are countless other murders that kill far more than two people.

I can't belive that the Iraq war story got so big. There are countless other wars that have far more casualties.

I can't belive that the Hitler story got so big. There are countless other ruthless dictators that had many more people killed.

I can't belive that the Clinton/Lewinsky thing got so big. There are countless other presidents that got more than head.

Seriously...really really stupid argument.

I can't believe the OJ case got so big. There are countless other murders that kill far more than two people.

I can't belive that the Iraq war story got so big. There are countless other wars that have far more casualties.

I can't belive that the Hitler story got so big. There are countless other ruthless dictators that had many more people killed.

I can't belive that the Clinton/Lewinsky thing got so big. There are countless other presidents that got more than head.

You could apply that theory to ANY piece of news that ever comes out. There's other murderers, but not as famous as O.J. There's other wars, but not involving the U.S. The last one just doesn't even make any sense.

It's not the same here - Imus is a fucking nobody and there are shit loads of rappers much more famous than him that say much worse shit.

You could apply that theory to ANY piece of news that ever comes out. There's other murderers, but not as famous as O.J. There's other wars, but not involving the U.S. The last one just doesn't even make any sense.

It's not the same here - Imus is a fucking nobody and there are shit loads of rappers much more famous than him that say much worse shit.

Gimme a call when 3 Six Mafia gets a big time TV and radio show where they interview senators and presidential candidates.

Three Six Mafia has a show that reaches millions more people than Imus' does. They have just as much of a moral obligation as Imus, if not more, considering the amount of young fans they have. But I bet on their next album they're still going to talk about drugs and bitches and Al Sharpton isn't going to care.

Really, when does Anti-PC stop? Its past the point of laughable now. Its a bigger joke that the Ultra-PC movement.

The people who go "How dare you! Shame on you! Shame shame!" are a lot more annoying than the people who tell those people to shut the hell up

Three Six Mafia has a show that reaches millions more people than Imus' does. They have just as much of a moral obligation as Imus, if not more, considering the amount of young fans they have. But I bet on their next album they're still going to talk about drugs and bitches and Al Sharpton isn't going to care.

Actually Sharpton is one of the biggest critics of "gangsta" (if that genre still exist) rap music. He led a protest and asked for a boycott of 50 Cents songs like a week before this happened.

So what we are saying here, is that as long as I make one racist comment I am cool until everyone make two or more get stopped.

They have just as much of a moral obligation as Imus,

Moral obligation? Oh, fuck off.

I don't give a shit what they say or what their beliefs are, but to the majority of america that does care and gets up in arms when comments like this are said, yes they have a moral obligation.

It occurs to me that the only person qualified to make this determination is the guy who signs Imus' paycheck. And, since that guy is going to listen to his sponsors who, in turn, are listening to the black people buying his product that appear to be threatening to boycott if he doesn't take action...

I don't give a shit what they say or what their beliefs are, but to the majority of america that does care and gets up in arms when comments like this are said, yes they have a moral obligation.

If this is your definition of moral obligation, then the fact that the majority of Americans aren't up in arms over Three 6 Mafia lets them off the hook, doesn't it?

I think that Imus should be fired-as should all shock jocks, simply for sucking. Except for Howard Stern, but that's just because he has Artie Lang.

Speech is free. So are the consequences of speech.

Huh?

I never realised saying "nappy headed ho" was a racial slur.

whats the huh about?

People are free to make you pay for what you say. If you don't believe me, go and tell your boss he/she is a worthless cunt and see what happens. then say you have freedom of speech. See how that works out for you.

Imus is free to say whatever the hell he wants to say. MSNBC are free to punish him for said statements.

I give up. I don't see how anyone with a slight piece of what resembles a brain could take what he said and say "Well...that wasn't racial at all".

Heh. Obviously calling your boss a cunt would result in being fired / suspended, but that's not the issue here.

We're told we have the freedom of speech, but in all reality, that is a fallacy.

Speech is free. So are the consequences of speech.

Huh?

I never realised saying "nappy headed ho" was a racial slur.

Are you fucking dense? How do you not see the racial implications of a phrase comprising a term for untreated African hair and an ebonicized pronunciation of "whore"? How is that not a racially-charged pejorative? Even I can see what this is about, and I always say dumb shit here.

Apparently so! I've just never really heard that phrase used like that I guess, and I definitely cannot come up with a reply to compare with yours, big words and all. Why aren't you a teacher or something since you know SO much about so many different things. You're like Slayer, knows everything about everything and can find pictures for any situation.

But seriously, was it all that bad that someone called a few black women "nappy haired hos"? I've heard far worse, and about the opposite race from black men and women, and nothing is ever said. Like for instance, when Jesse Jackson came to CMU, he compared MLK to Jesus Christ and called Abe Lincoln an average "cracker". Double standard anyone?

Guest Eagle Man

Though Imus's stock has fallen in recent years, I don't think it's fair to call him a nobody; he's very much a somebody within the radio industry as the first shock jock of sorts and a general trailblazer in radio. I'm sure people in my parents' generation are much more familiar with Don Imus than sundry gangsta rappers. Of course, my parents are old, so they don't count. I get what you're saying, that he's not really all that influential or important nowadays, but let's not write him off as some muttering bum, even though that's what he looks and sounds like.

Guest Eagle Man
You're like Slayer, knows everything about everything and can find pictures for any situation.

lol!

But seriously, was it all that bad that someone called a few black women "nappy haired hos"?

Well, yeah. Come on.

I've heard far worse, and about the opposite race from black men and women, and nothing is ever said. Like for instance, when Jesse Jackson came to CMU, he compared MLK to Jesus Christ and called Abe Lincoln an average "cracker". Double standard anyone?

Let's not talk about Jesse Jackson.

Because it needs to be said, just because there is a double standard when black people say outlandish things about their own race, it does not make it alright FOR ANYONE TO SAY THOSE THINGS.

Guest Smues
Didn't you guys read the sign and link I posted earlier? It said "Nigger brown". I didn't post it because I thought she was ugly, read the story. That's hilarious.

There was already a thread about it, hence why we could ignore the story and mock the woman's appearance.

We're told we have the freedom of speech, but in all reality, that is a fallacy.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Congress.

Once again, all the first amendment ensures is that the guys and gals on Capitol Hill can't pass a law saying that anyone that simply assembles to protest the Iraq war and any reporters that go cover such event in front of the Official Catholic Church of the United States of America are to be arrested and sent to Guantanamo Bay.

Really, why is this shit so hard to understand?

Edited by KingPK