TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Danville_Wrestling

Imus Remarks

I love how Howard Stern says even worse things even before Sirius, yet he gets away with it because Robin is black.

I love Howard, never listen to Imus, but damn, what the hell? The guy apologized, the world shouldn't stop, let him make his paycheck and shut the fuck up! For God's sake, Iran and Korea have nukes and the whole country is worried about this?

No wonder all the other countries thinks we're a joke.

So what you're saying is that if Imus had a black chick in the backgroungd of his show yelling "Oh Imus U crazy LOL!!" then everything would be fine. It's all about context, Imus want to be a serious radio personality he can't say shit like that bottom line. It's just that this whole thing seems like something white and black people will be laughing about 5 years from now. When will people realize that there is a HUGE difference between being racist and being ethinically insensitive?

I love how Howard Stern says even worse things even before Sirius, yet he gets away with it because Robin is black.

I love Howard, never listen to Imus, but damn, what the hell? The guy apologized, the world shouldn't stop, let him make his paycheck and shut the fuck up! For God's sake, Iran and Korea have nukes and the whole country is worried about this?

So what you're saying is that if Imus had a black chick in the backgroungd of his show yelling "Oh Imus U crazy LOL!!" then everything would be fine. It's all about context, Imus want to be a serious radio personality he can't say shit like that bottom line. It's just that this whole thing seems like something white and black people will be laughing about 5 years from now. When will people realize that there is a HUGE difference between being racist and being ethinically insensitive?

his goose was cooked as far as MSNBC was concerned when the sponsers started dropping. despite all the 'moral stance' bullshit we'll hear from msnbc, why even air his show if you're not getting sponsors, that's the whole reason networks air shows.

imus' big problem is he tried to 'legitimize' himself - had opie and anthony said it, there wouldn't be a firestorm, but now he has a show which regularly has on people like McCain, Guliani, Obama has been on it too, as have other prominent figures. We're talking presidential candidates here. Heck, Imus has thrown out borderline racist comments more than a few times before. i just see this as him being outed though I'm befuddled why the politicians always gave him a pass on his past stuff. probably cause those weren't getting news coverage. 'if people aren't outraged by me hanging out with a racist, why not do it for the publicity???' :-P

Guest Smues
Furthermore, who do we really need to impress here?

Yes

The owners of a lonely heart?

Guest Mos_Def

Its not because some Agro-Crag faced, zombie lookin' racist got shut down.

Getting sick of this non stop caterwauling from white conservatives. "Ooh, there is a chill in the industry now"..."we cant say ANYTHING"...fuck out of here. Dont promote racist bullshit...is it that hard? Fox News shouldnt sweat too much, they're adept at coding their racist language.

40 years down the drain for calling some girls "nappy-headed hos".

Unreal. This is going to start a fucking free speech witch-hunt led by two media whores who are only attracted to race-baiting and the power that they get from turning the non-story into a story. Not to mention the fact that Imus apologized. Not just a quick "sorry" either, but he spent most of his show apologizing. Nope, not good enough apparently. Some stupid ball-bouncing cunts and a second-rate school are now scarred for life because of a throwaway joke that didn't even get that big of a laugh.

If getting called a nappy headed ho scars you for life, that's fucking sad. I never really listened to Imus, but I agree with the max here, the show has been going on forever, and the reason it gets canceled is because the girls who originally were going to "let it go by" decide that this was the worst thing that could happen to them. It's not like people really cared about their magical run either. Over here in the tri-state area it was barely mentioned, so lets not act like their moment was ruined. There really wasn't anything to ruin.

They're blaming Imus for ruining their moment. Their moment was ruined when they lost the fucking game. No words from an ancient talk show host are going to change that. They lost. Their moment was over. Instead, the stupid Rutgers athletic director parades them around in a press conference like their lives are over. THEY'RE STILL IN COLLEGE! They're around my age! My life isn't over by a long shot. How is being called a nappy-headed ho going to scar them for life with whatever they move on to? Are Dickbags Sharpton and Jackson going to follow them around for the rest of their lives to make sure they're being treated fairly? No. As soon as the "RACISM" light goes off on Sharpton's desk, he'll spring into action over another non-story, leaving these girls to fend for themselves and act like grownups.

Imus doesn't even get to finish his radiothon tomorrow, Mike and the Mad Dog will be on with his wife, I think. The telethon benefits children with SIDS and also the Imus Ranch, which helps kids with cancer and/or SIDS. 877-877-6464. Even if you think Imus is a racist, irrelevant, whatever scumbag/crusty old man, help kids. Obviously CBS and MSNBC don't care about sick kids.

Obviously CBS and MSNBC don't care about sick kids.

Yeah, that's exactly why this happened. Because CBS and MSNBC hate children.

Anyways, it's clear from this thread he has a fanbase, he'll probably get a new show somewhere else and continue doing his thing.

Yes...its everyones fault that Imus got called out for THIS racist comment and not the ones before that. Yeah. He sure got screwed over.

How dare they make him make the statment. Stop fucking whining. Its HIS statement that got press and made sponsors start pulling out which got him fired.

I swear. You are worst than parents blaming video games for little Tommy shooting up his school. How about blaming the fucker that did the shit. Don Imus screwed Don Imus.

Anyways, it's clear from this thread he has a fanbase, he'll probably get a new show somewhere else and continue doing his thing.

Well, they removed him from MSNBC just hours before the radiothon that he's done for the last 18 years. And now he can't be on CBS airwaves for his radiothon.

They have the right to fire him, obviously. But to remove him from television hours before a radiothon to help SICK KIDS because of pressure from two fucking assholes is asinine to me.

My comment was made tongue in cheek.

Yes...its everyones fault that Imus got called out for THIS racist comment and not the ones before that. Yeah. He sure got screwed over.

How dare they make him make the statment. Stop fucking whining. Its HIS statement that got press and made sponsors start pulling out which got him fired.

I swear. You are worst than parents blaming video games for little Tommy shooting up his school. How about blaming the fucker that did the shit. Don Imus screwed Don Imus.

What about Imus's apology?

Not good enough that he spent half of his fucking show apologizing for what amounted to a stupid fucking joke? How about the fact that he's meeting with these players whose lives are ruined by the mean white man (more than likely to apologize more)? Still nothing? How about the fact that he's been on the air for 40 years and has been making jokes about race, religion, et al. and nothing has ever been this AWFULLY bad to RUIN these girls' lives?

Imus made a fucking joke and apologized for it. That should have been the END. Instead, Sharpton gets all fucking uppity and declares that this is only a start. Wonderful.

But sponsors dropped out thus ending his usefulness.

He isn't going to be able to get alot of political players on the show now either. Thats why he lost his job.

Yes he has said plenty of bad stuff before. But sponsors didn't pull out before. This time they did. ONce again, you are trying to blame everyone except the guy that is actually at fault here.

Do we blame Tiger Woods because Fuzzy Zoeller(sp) made a racist comment about him? Or that guy that made the racist comments about Serena from the stands a few weeks back. Do we blame Larry Bird because Isaiah Thomas and Dennis Rodman made a racist comment about him?

He lost his job because he said something stupid. Tough. Same thing would happen if I did it and if you did it if you had a negative effect on business for what you said. Once again, stop blaming other people for his fuckup.

You can't be fucked over when you actually did what got you fucked.

His ratings have been abysmal for over a decade. I would be shocked if anyone threw big money at him, although this controversy will make him a hotter commodity than he would have been.

I'm sure Rutgers is real upset that their school's name is getting spewed on every national newscast in the country.

There is no "defeating" racism. There's no "ending" racism. The world would be a much better place if the handful of people in every race who bring it up at every opportunity (yet neglect it should bringing it up make them or their race look bad, conveniently enough) would just shut up.

Guest Eagle Man

I just got off the phone with my dad, who has an interest in this story, of course. He understands that Imus said some dumb shit, but the problem is the precedent being set here, in which our favorite shakedown artists can decide who gets to be on the air, rather than management, and this shows just how feeble CBS Radio has become since Mel Karmazin was sent out the door. More troubling still is that our buddy Keith was on MSNBC talking about how now that one guy has been booted out, now "we" need to start taking care of the rest. I find Rush, Hannity, et al to be horrible, but I don't want them shaken down out of existence. Maybe I was wrong, and the ends don't justify the means here after all. This is actually kinda bad.

It won't happen to Rush and Hannity because Rush and Hannity have higher ratings and people WILL follow him anywhere.

Don't think this has that much to do with what Imus said. He could have said "fuck the nigger bitches and their dykey ass basketball team", if sponsers didn't start pulling out he wouldn't have been fired, simple as that.

Its all about money. So as long as ratings are up, shock jocks have nothing to worry about. They can keep on being stupid.

Funny thing though...If you are worried for your job if they fire a guy "for making a racist joke" then maybe you need to check your line of work.

Guest Eagle Man

You're right, it had to do with Imus's lack of capital, but now I find Olbermann's (THE NEW ED MURROW JUST ASK CHRIS MATTHEWS) indication that any and all objectionable personalities need to be similarly pressured out of their jobs to be getting pret-ty dicey. Everything on talk radio is offensive.

After seeing the Rutgers women's team press conference and on Oprah milking this for all it's worth, I can't get on their side either. I've been sick of the media (more specifically, the useless cable news networks) latching onto things like this and just making it impossible to stomach a minute of any of their programming. The 24-hour news network and the internet were the absolute worst things to happen to media because nobody knows how to constructively use the time and instead fill it with tabloid crap like "Who's Anna Nicole's baby's father?".

Guest cobainwasmurdered

If you have to be shocking and offensive to get an audience then you should be prepared for the consequences. I've always thought people like Rush make their causes look bad. You can get your points across without being a douchebag.