TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Buzz

CTDWAT: Indies/Overseas/General

1996: A toss up between the Brian Pillman-Steve Austin gun incident and the Fake Diesal and Razor Ramon angle.

The Austin/Pillman thing was actually in 1997.

The swirlie was 1997

You ever rewatch a match that you no is classic, but you haven't watched in awhile, and when you finally watch it again, not only are you reminded that it IS a classic, but you actually somehow feel you've underappreciated it over the years.

That's Bret vs Owen WMX to me.

A lot of matches from the Attitude era. Also, the UT/Jeff Hardy Ladder Match from RAW in July 2002 is probably one of my favorite matches, if not the one. After watching it on 24/7 when they had the Ladder Match DVD, I declare that my favorite Ladder Match because they did a great job making me think Jeff had a chance.

If the Gooker Awards existed before the year 2000, which would be your list of dubious winners? Naturally, the award for 1990 would be out of the question since that was the very year that the Gooker itself was born! Otherwise, I would've picked the Team Challenge Series (also known as the "final nail in the coffin for the AWA) or the Black Scorpion angle.

I've complied my own pre-2000 Gooker list in the mean time:

1991: Turncoat Sargent Slaughter - The best way to gain heel heat for a wrestler is to exploit the real life Persian Gulf War (good one, Vince)! The runner up would be WCW (or Jim Herd to be more exact) firing Ric Flair and the subsequent Great American Bash PPV ("We want Flair!").

1992: The Papa Shango-Ultimate Warrior feud complete with Jim Hellwig puking on national television. If not that, then the "Spin the Wheel, Make the Deal" saga involving Sting and Jake Roberts.

1993: I'm torn between WrestleMania IX (it has to get some consideration since it's WWF/E's biggest show of the year, traditionally), the Shockmaster, and WCW's mini-movies (the so called "Unholy Trinity").

1994: The Undertaker's "resurrection" at the Royal Rumble and the Undertaker vs. Underfaker match at SummerSlam.

1995: The Dunegon of Doom-Hulk Hogan feud (it's not hot)

1996: A toss up between the Brian Pillman-Steve Austin gun incident and the Fake Diesal and Razor Ramon angle.

1997: Even though it hasn't been inducted yet, I'll add the screwy finish at Starrcade involving Sting, Hogan and Bret Hart. The Shawn Michaels "loses his smile" angle (in which he faked an injury so that he wouldn't have to drop the title back to Bret Hart) would be second.

1998: Ultimate Warrior, the WCW Years

1999: The Fingerpoke of Doom

If the Gooker Awards existed before the year 2000, which would be your list of dubious winners? Naturally, the award for 1990 would be out of the question since that was the very year that the Gooker itself was born! Otherwise, I would've picked the Team Challenge Series (also known as the "final nail in the coffin for the AWA) or the Black Scorpion angle.

I've complied my own pre-2000 Gooker list in the mean time:

1991: Turncoat Sargent Slaughter - The best way to gain heel heat for a wrestler is to exploit the real life Persian Gulf War (good one, Vince)! The runner up would be WCW (or Jim Herd to be more exact) firing Ric Flair and the subsequent Great American Bash PPV ("We want Flair!").

1992: The Papa Shango-Ultimate Warrior feud complete with Jim Hellwig puking on national television. If not that, then the "Spin the Wheel, Make the Deal" saga involving Sting and Jake Roberts.

1993: I'm torn between WrestleMania IX (it has to get some consideration since it's WWF/E's biggest show of the year, traditionally), the Shockmaster, and WCW's mini-movies (the so called "Unholy Trinity").

1994: The Undertaker's "resurrection" at the Royal Rumble and the Undertaker vs. Underfaker match at SummerSlam.

1995: The Dunegon of Doom-Hulk Hogan feud (it's not hot)

1997: Even though it hasn't been inducted yet, I'll add the screwy finish at Starrcade involving Sting, Hogan and Bret Hart. The Shawn Michaels "loses his smile" angle (in which he faked an injury so that he wouldn't have to drop the title back to Bret Hart) would be second.

1998: Ultimate Warrior, the WCW Years

1999: The Fingerpoke of Doom

How about Ric Flair throwing coffee in people's faces and him and Arn Anderson winning matches by hitting them with Woman's/Elizabeth's high heel shoes? Worst heel tactics...ever. Also, Lawler's feud with Jake the Snake was pretty bad. Jake's whole "born again" thing was awful in my opinion.

What about SuperClash '85 at Comiskey Park? Were there cursory glances back and forth between Baron and the Bruiser as they battled Nikita and Ivan Koloff and Krusher Khrushchev? Would the Crusher be forced to act as an intermediary between his two AWA tag team championship partners?

This match tends to fall beneath the radar with so many other matches on the card of greater importance, yet historically this bout is significant as I believe Crusher never teamed with either man again. Perhaps the detente between these two was soon to cease, and the pending tumult which paralled that within Lisowski's own soul prevented him from choosing one side over the other. His own history of hurlyburly with each man had given way to championship cohesiveness, yet it is possible he knew their own interpersonal exchanges would be tinged with the threat of betrayal; the pungent odor of treachery ever present. Von Raschke's later alliance with said Kremlin contingent in Jim Crockett Promotions might bear this theory the fruit of verification. Oh dem bums.

B-) B-) B-)

I didn't know if this falls under wrestling, current events, or LSD but I'm watching some informational hearing in the CA Assembly about same-sex marriage and one of the lesbians testifying had a partner that looked like Greg the Hammer Valentine.

So I was browsing around Wikipedia and ended up on Fred Ottman's page (don't ask) and I happened to notice this bit of information:

Ottman now lives in Florida operating his own truck for a transport company out of Mondovi, Wisconsin, driving freight over the road. Former wrestler Perry Saturn is an employee.

So I clicked on Saturn's page and found this:

It has been reported that Satullo now lives in Atlanta, GA and has recently cut his 3 year addiction to Meth. He has vowed to never wrestle again.

Either one of these true or is it just vintage Wiki vandalism?

I can't listen to Ron Conway's "Just Look At Me" theme without singing "Left Foot Right Foot! Left Foot Right Foot!".

The full version of 3MW's theme is really catchy. I love the part where it goes "spooky".

I'm thinking of getting tickets to the two RoH show's coming to Houston during Wrestlemania weekend. They've got a show on Friday and a PPV taping on Saturday.

Anyone care to send me a PM or reply with a quick synopsis of the key storylines going on?

Shiek gets contract for iPhone aps

I wouldn't think a company would want to be associated with a guy who threatens people with anal rape, but this company would get a ton of my cash if I had an iPhone.

Also, I recently went to a resteraunt that offers a burger named after Chyna. I would actually highly recommend the place if for some reason you found yourself in Rochester.

Bad Blood 97 - the night that Brian Pillman was announced as dead. What was the deal behind them putting a midget match on as a quick fill for the scraped Pillman segment? Seems so surreal and they all look like fucking power rangers.