TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

Where should I move to?

Keep in mind that the cost of living in Syracuse is a hell of a lot cheaper than other places in the US. I'd watch out with that BMS site. They've been cutting jobs and departments for a while. What's your field?

Do NOT move to the Boston/NH area. Just don't do it. BioTech sucks here - my friend who has a masters in it is working at Measured Progress for $10/hr. There's nothing here for anything with the word Tech in it.

... I need to move too. Where's a good IT area that stays cold most of the time and isn't too thunderstormy when it is warm? Sign me the fuck up.

-Annie

Research Scientist/Biochemist

Yeah, they've cut most of their chemical development department. A LOT of guys that used to work at that site are working at my company. What's your degree?

I have an M.S. in Molecular Nutrition/Biochemistry/Molecular & Cell Biology. A B.S. in nutrition/biochemistry.

I have an M.S. in Molecular Nutrition/Biochemistry/Molecular & Cell Biology. A B.S. in nutrition/biochemistry.

That salary is decent for the area and for your degree. Plus there are lots of benifits to working for big pharma. However, like I said the job security isn't great.

Guest Vitamin X
... I need to move too. Where's a good IT area that stays cold most of the time and isn't too thunderstormy when it is warm? Sign me the fuck up.

They call Portland the "Silicon Forest" for a reason. Nice and chill, although not too cold, but not warm, weather and nice and rainy, and I've rarely heard thunder here. Plus, we're pretty darn accepting of the LGBQT community here, obv..

NOBODY MOVE TO LOS ANGELES.

LOS ANGELES IS HORRIBLE.

You know, I grew up there, and seeing as you're from where I'm living now, I could see where you're coming from, but L.A. has its good parts and its bad parts. From my experience though, almost everyone I knew growing up wanted to GTFO the second they grew up, and move somewhere else, mostly because L.A. leaves you with a total sense of a lack of identity and it's pretty depressing to feel that way.

I don't know why you went there, man, if I were going to a big city and I was from Portland, I'd go to Seattle, Vancouver, San Fran at worst. L.A. is harsh and unforgiving, and impossible to make friends there.

They call Portland the "Silicon Forest" for a reason. Nice and chill, although not too cold, but not warm, weather and nice and rainy, and I've rarely heard thunder here. Plus, we're pretty darn accepting of the LGBQT community here, obv..

So... the "When does Annie move to Portland" countdown begins?

...plox?

-Annie

NOBODY MOVE TO LOS ANGELES.

LOS ANGELES IS HORRIBLE.

You know, I grew up there, and seeing as you're from where I'm living now, I could see where you're coming from, but L.A. has its good parts and its bad parts. From my experience though, almost everyone I knew growing up wanted to GTFO the second they grew up, and move somewhere else, mostly because L.A. leaves you with a total sense of a lack of identity and it's pretty depressing to feel that way.

I don't know why you went there, man, if I were going to a big city and I was from Portland, I'd go to Seattle, Vancouver, San Fran at worst. L.A. is harsh and unforgiving, and impossible to make friends there.

I came down to study with The Groundlings, which is like... an improv/sketch school/theater. I'm halfway through the school now, and unless I make the main company (which is a pretty good meal-ticket, and a group that constantly sends writers and performers to SNL) I'll definitely move back to Portland. From there I might retool and head to San Francisco, New York or Chicago... or possibly even Seattle. I've tried to do comedy in Portland, there just isn't an established market for it. I'd produce and perform in shows over at The Clinton Street Theater, and we'd pull 100 people or so, but that doesnt cut it.

LA isn't THAT bad, but the cost of living is bonkers. If you had money, it'd be a great place to live. I, on the other hand, am relatively broke. Thus, I live in South Central, and I am now a bitter racist. Can't argue with the In'n'Out and the weather, though.

Guest Vitamin X

Burgerville > In-n-Out. Well, the burgers at Burgerville are definitely a lot worse, but everything else is better.

Burgerville > In-n-Out. Well, the burgers at Burgerville are definitely a lot worse, but everything else is better.

Oh that isn't fair. That's like saying Bo Jackson is better than Barry Sanders because Bo Jackson also played baseball.

I agree with you, by the way, I love Burgerville. I might even like the Tillamook Cheeseburger more than the Double Double.

Guest Vitamin X

The cheese is better. The burger, AND THE PRICE MY GOD THE PRICE, is not.

Plus Burgerville, it being a Portland burger joint and all, has veggie burgers and other things. In N Out does one thing, and does it well.

EDIT: Oh, and my favorite In-N-Out has to be the one on Sunset & Highland. Fun area, that one. My neighborhood one though, was the one by Magic Mountain, since that's where I grew up. My buddy (at the age of 25) still works there and dreams of being a race car driver one day.

The cheese is better. The burger, AND THE PRICE MY GOD THE PRICE, is not.

Plus Burgerville, it being a Portland burger joint and all, has veggie burgers and other things. In N Out does one thing, and does it well.

EDIT: Oh, and my favorite In-N-Out has to be the one on Sunset & Highland. Fun area, that one. My neighborhood one though, was the one by Magic Mountain, since that's where I grew up. My buddy (at the age of 25) still works there and dreams of being a race car driver one day.

Sweet masculine Jesus, the price. HOWEVAH, Walla Walla Onion Rings and Sweet Potato Fries for the win.

Here's a semi-relevant question...

how exactly does one move cross-country? I'm kind of actually considering Portland now.

... you bastards.

-Annie

Well, I moved from Portland to LA without knowing anyone. I had about ten grand saved up. Packed up the car, drove to LA, stayed in a hotel until I found Craigslist roommates. Lived off the 10k for way too long without even looking for a job. Found a couple jobs. Boosh.

If you move to Sacramento you can come to my UFC parties.... :headbang:

My friend Jeff just moved to Sacramento, actually. He loves it out there. I'd consider it myself if there was a good tech and glbt community there. Although the more I look the more that "tech" and "GLBT" seem to have the same people. Curious.

-Annie

Guest Vitamin X

Fat Burger is awesome. Why? Because they'll put a fuckin' egg on your burger. With bacon. That shit was the bomb, in all its greasy goodness with cheese on top.

Moving cross-country is really not all that hard, if you really want a big change in your life. It was kind of easier for me since I'm in college and essentially at that (and this) point I can apply anywhere and live off financial aid if I have to. I guess anyone could b.s. a couple semesters in college if they haven't earned their undergrad and essentially do the same thing for a bit, though.

Regardless, I worked for a nationwide corporation at the time, then once I got settled in, I quit that, found work at my university and started up my own gig on the side doing video production and editing. I don't have any immediate intentions on moving, but if I didn't like it here in a few years, I'd go somewhere else again without too much of a problem, I think.

If (or rather, when) I move again, it'll most likely either be within the Midwest or to the Northeast (most likely New England). If possible (unless there's just no other jobs available) I'm not going any further south than I am right now... I already dislike how moderately hot it gets here and I'm not entertaining the thought of longer summers and possibly snowless winters.

The Pacific NW sounds nice, but I don't want to move that far away from my (or Mrs Slayer's) family.