TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Blade2kxx

OAO TNA Lockdown 2007 Thread

VKM won of course.

and the electric cage was stupid. People inside and outside were touching it. Only 2 big spots that affected anyone. The crowd would boo and yell bullshit. Team 3D came out with all there previous belts.

I want to say what happened in Lethal Lockdown...but it's... just... somewhat logical.

They didn't have a very good shot of AJ flying off the top of the cage. I was excepting them to fall through onto the tacks. It was cool to see Cage and Jarret walking around with tcks in there backs.

PPV doesn't sound too interesting. I want to see a main to see Steiner pull out a Frankensteiner. He hasn't done that since I think 1999.

Was it off the top rope or did he actually jump and do it?

Cause I can't imagine him jumping and doing it nowadays with his bulk.

I think I was the only one who called Sting winning this due to process of elimination. Let's face it, Sacrifice is a lame duck PPV before the KOTM match at Slammiversary, so Sting can get his title shot and job.

This was a fun PPV for the most part, but it seems like TNA always does something to fuck it up. One the one PPV they had the Hemme trash with VKM, tonight they have the idiotic blindfold match that was one of the worst clunkers I've ever seen. And of course the absurd electric fence match, which actually was still decent in spite of the stip.

The majority of the action was largely solid and enjoyable, but why is it the most notable things on a TNA show are the car wreck moments? In addition to the blindfold match and the cheesy electocution spots, we have Jarrett bringing an already broken guitar to the ring, the camera missing Styles' psychotic fall from the top of the cage, things like that.

There is absolutely no excuse for the Electrified Cage Match. None, whatsoever.

Whoever thought the best way to simulate an ELECTRIFIED CAGE was to DIM THE LIGHTS is a complete and utter moron, and should be fired immediately. I don't care who it was, that was the stupidest thing I've seen in wrestling in a long time.

The Chamber of Horrors from 1991 simulated electricity better then that, for gods sake.

There is absolutely no excuse for the Electrified Cage Match. None, whatsoever.

Whoever thought the best way to simulate an ELECTRIFIED CAGE was to DIM THE LIGHTS is a complete and utter moron, and should be fired immediately. I don't care who it was, that was the stupidest thing I've seen in wrestling in a long time.

The Chamber of Horrors from 1991 simulated electricity better then that, for gods sake.

Ha, when they dimmed the lights did the front row point to the sky expecting Sabu to appear?

Am I the only one who actually enjoys the 1991 Chamber of Horrors match for the campy fun that it is? The electric cage match on this PPV though? Hmm. This was supposed to be the blowoff to a major feud, so campy nonsense doesn't work so well here.

Kris Bradshaw sent the following: I saw you already had a Lockdown report up on the site so haven’t typed anything up, but I wanted to give you a few off-air notes from the show, which I estimated to have an attendance figure of around 4500-5000. Firstly, the crowd here showed that the reactions you see on TV and previous PPV’s aren’t exclusive to crowds in Orlando. Let’s see how TNA react to that. Secondly, the crowd absolutely hated the LAX vs. Team 3-D match. That cage just came off as so “hokey” it was unreal. Also, although I didn’t see him, a few people I was talking to after the show on the way out said that Vince Russo was sat in the crowd, and left quickly after the “Fire Russo” chants got going. Definite thumbs in the middle for me, pointing slightly down as TNA again try to tell us that “this is wrestling” only to give us swerves and BS angles over quality wrestling.

Wrestlemag

--No real big news behind the scenes at last night's TNA PPV show. We didn't hear of any injuries, and with some of the risks taken, that was good news. Kurt Angle went in with a back injury suffered at the house show two nights earlier. Most of the comments after the show regarded the fan reaction to the blindfold match and the electric cage match. People readily agreed the matches didn't work due to the gimmicks, but were very defensive regarding the "Fire Russo" chants because they don't feel he deserved the brunt of the blame.

Wrestling Observer

A number of live reports also mentioned that the side of the hard camera was almost entirely empty.

I'm not blaming Russo for the Electrified Cage. He might, or might not have pitched the lights dimming idea, but we all know he's had insane/stupid ideas. So I really don't care.

The problem with the idea for the cage...was they USED IT. They had the common sense to explain to Russo why the heels had to have the advantage in the Lethal Lockdown...but someone didn't have the common sense to go, "Hey...Shouldn't we have like...sparks...or something?"

The worst part, is they tried to build it up like a legitimate deathmatch with the teases. So once they hit the cage, it just DIIIIIIIIIIED. There's a reason FMW and other companies had a huge show of sparks and fireworks when someone hit the electricity. It's the payoff to the match. It's the whole POINT. They finally hit the cage, a big spark goes off around the wrestler and you legitimately think he got hurt.

Just a horrible idea all around.

and for gods sake, get two rings for the Lethal Lockdown so they can DO SOMETHING in it. It's basically just a battle royale with teams in a cage as it is. Not enough room to do anything.

I caught a stream and watched the X division championship match as it was supposed to be rated quite well. I came off pretty disappointed. There was only one interesting spot which was the reversal run through to a DDT by Dutt early in the match. The fact that was no cage jumps, no real long complex spots apart from the one I mentioned, and no big crowd-pleasing aerial moves like 450's and SSP's meant it was pretty mediocre.

Plus the Shelly/Sabin double team stuff was pretty poorly timed and looked too choreographed, especially compared to the Eliminators stuff I've seen over the past few weeks due to the ECW's dvd's I've been buying.

I don't ever watch TNA to begin with, and from reading the reports of shows on the internet the only feud that interested me was Joe/Angle, and I caught the 1st and 3rd match and was fairly impressed. Now that's over, there's nothing for me to watch for. Plus the commentators are worse than Michael Cole.

I don't know who booked the blindfold match. For some reason it seems more like Dutch Mantell than it does Russo. It's a bit old hat for Russo to have booked it.

Last night's PPV illustrates something disturbing about TNA. Namely that they book matches and stips where the wrestlers literally have to overcome these foolish ideas in order to have a decent match. Why book a Blindfold match? Let Harris and Storm destroy one another in a cage and have Storm go after the bad eye and work in a sick bladejob to Harris' eye. Why an electrified fence? Just have the Dudleys and LAX maim each other with weapons inside the cage. Why have Backlund involved as a ref in the Starr/Senshi match when he distracts from the workers?

I just read that 80% of the booking is Jarrett, 15% is Mantell, and 5% is Russo. Here is why I think TNA is full of shit regarding Russo's true involvement. If he was only contributing 5% of the booking and fans were chanting "FIRE RUSSO!" on PPVs, then they would simply make him a scapegoat and fire his ass.

All I know is I was really into TNA up until last year's Bound For Glory.

After that, it went downhill quickly.

What was the main change? Russo joining the booking team.

So it's either Russo's fault or the Jarrett/Mantel team suddenly became retards.

Just from seeing the Frankensteiner clip...

A: The cage sucks. What the fuck happened to the cage they had been using the past pay per views? Seriously.. that cage looks fucking horrible.

B: Steiner needed every bit of that cage there to help him leap up high enough to get Rhino in the Frankensteiner. There's no way he pulls that off without the cage there to grab on to.

C: Minister looks overly-unimpressed with the Frankensteiner.

D: Bring back the Steiner-Driver.

This is a review I wrote that got posted on the Wrestling Observer webite in the feedback for LockDown:

Dave,

Before I give you my review for TNA's LockDown PPV I just want to say that from the other reviews some of them look like the people are looking for ANYTHING they could find to hate on TNA. Has everything they touched turned to gold? No, but when they put on a good show they should be given the credit they deserve, and that's what this PPV was, a good show. Now that I have that off my chest here is my review:

Thumbs WAY Up

Best Match: X-scape Match and Lethal Lockdown (tie)

Worst Match: James Storm vs Chris Harris (Blindfold Match)

I really had a lot of fun watching this PPV. This was one of the better shows that TNA has put on in the past few months. I have ordered all of the PPVs shice they went monthly with the exception of 4, but that was early on. From top to bottom this was a really stacked card. If TNA can put on a card like this all the time then they can slowly gain more interest and the ratings will go up.

X-Scape Match (Shark Boy vs "Black Machismo" Jay Lethal vs Sonjay Dutt vs Alex Shelly vs Chris Sabin ©) - This was a great way to open up the show. It was the hot match that gets the crowd into it. There were some greta moves in this fast paced match. I loved the fact that Sabin and Shelly showed what they can do as a team. I would really like to see The Motor City Machine Guns be used in TNA because they know how to really work. I am really surprised that "Black Machismo" is over as much as he is. Maybe we can have a feud between The Motor City Machine Guns vs The Macho Man wannabe and the Jesse Venture wannabe if they team them up (Jay Lethal and THE Austin Starr). I also liked the finish of Lethal getting his leg stuck in the bigger holes in the cage.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Petey William vs Robert Roode (with Ms. Brooks and Eric Young) - This was a good solid match. I like the placing of this match after the hot opener. The fans are still into it so why not throw in a solid wrestling match. Roode looked good in this match, but I think that might have had to do with the fact that Petey is a great wrestler. I can understand why Roode went over here since EY tried to make sure that he lost, but it backfired. I am really interested in who EY's friend is, can it be Lance Storm or maybe ever Chris Jericho?

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Gail Kim vs Jackie Moore - I hope WWE was watching this match, becasue THIS is what a women's match should be. Kim looked really good in this match. It makes me wonder why Vince let her go, but then again he doesn't like wrestlers that can actually WRESTLE. Moore looked like her solid self here. Kim's Cross Body Block off of the top of the cage was a great ending. MY friend said before the PPV started he wouldn't be surprised if she did something off of the top and she did. I liked that she got the win here. If TNA is going to try to start a Women's Division, this is a great start.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Senshi vs THE Austin Starr (with Bob Backlund as special guest Ref) - Senshi and Starr are both talented wrestlers and Backlund didn't really take away from the match. I like the fact that there was tension between Starr and Backlund but I don't know where this is going. I hope it doesn't lead to a match between the two since I'm not sure Backlund can still go. Starr being pushed into Senshi was a good way to end the match since it puts Senshi over, but doesn't take away from Starr at the same time.

Rating: 4 out of 5

Blindfold Match (James Storm vs Chris Harris) - Dud. I never liked the idea of a match like this. Nothing happens until the end when you know that the ref is going down and the heel will look to out from under his mask. Total garbage that killed the hot crowd.

Rating 1 out of 5

Christopher Daniels vs Jerry Lynn - This is a dream match of mine since I have been a Lynn fan for about 10 years and a fan of Daniels for almost as long. I feel bad for these guys since it was their job to get the crowd back after a total dud of a match prior. This is what a WRESTLING match is. There was a slow buildup with a few near falls that led to the promise of a HUGE move off of the top rope into the sick finish. Lynn is the type of wrestler that will always put someone else over to get the storyline across so he does the job here, but he still looked damn good in the loss.

Rating: 4 out of 5

Electrified Steel Cage Match (Team 3-D vs LAX ©) - Oh boy, I don't know where to start for this one. I thought that both teams looked real solid in this match. LAX showed why they are the best team in wrestling today and Team 3-D looked better then they have in recent memory. I thought that the gimmick of this match blew. They should have at least had a few of those fake explosives. Both teams did a good job of keeping the crowd caring for the match at lease. Hernandez is amazing for a big man. When you watch his early carrer matches from ROH and TWA and then you watch his matches now, you can see he has grown as a wrestler by leaps and bounds. His dive off of the top was SICK. Every PPV he seems to have that one huge move that gets the fans even more behind him and LAX. The problem with 3-D is they have become jokes of their former selves. I know that no one will let them go crazy like they did back in early ECW, but they need something new. I don't mind them taking the titles here as much as others since they deserve them after their carrer.

Rating for the gimmick: 0 out of 5

Rating for the match: 4 out of 5

Team Angle (Kurt Angle, Jeff Jarrett, Sting, Samoa Joe & Rhino) defeated Team Cage (NWA World Champion Christian Cage, AJ Styles, Scott Steiner, Abyss & Tomko) - This was a great match. I thought everyone did what they needed to do in this match. Even Tomko looked pretty good in this match, then again since coming over he's looked better then he ever did in WWE. Steiner pulling out the old school Frankensteiner was totally bad ass. He too has looked good since coming over to TNA. Everyone really went out of their way to try to one-up Wrestlemania. Everyon knew that AJ would end up on top, and when Angle got up there I thought we would see an Angle Slam from the top but AJ's fall on top of everyone was sick. The spear through the cage door from Rhino on Tomko was sick as well. Tomko sold it like a champ like he was killed. I knew JJ would help someone win, but I never thought Sting would get the win here. Nice ending with Angle pissed that his guy didn't help him get the win. Should be good coming out of this PPV.

Rating: 5 out of 5

This PPV was lightyears a head of Wrestlemania. I can't sit here and have the WWE marks give that show a good rating just because it's Wrestlemania. It had three good matches with the rest being total crap. From top to bottom there was one bad match on the LockDown PPV. When WWE puts on a good show I give credit, but when TNA puts on a good show, very few people give them credit. A good show is a good show and crap is crap. Just becasue Vince puts it out doesn't mean it can't be crap.

Rating for whole show: 4 out of 5 overall

Brad Reiter

Yeah most of the people who watched that PPV saw a decent, middling effort as a whole. There was some solid action in the main event and X Division title match. Most of the other stuff was at least decent or passable, maybe even good. Then there are of course the two clunker ideas that are the type of thing that keeps TNA from ascending to a new level. Namely the electrified cage and the blindfold match.

Just wondering but why are they mercilessly jobbing out Jerry Lynn? I was looking forward to his comeback and potentially if RVD comes in they could revive that feud for a little while. With Lynn jobbing out to Sabin and Daniels (in disappointing matches to boot) I really don't know if an RVD/Lynn revival feud would even matter. Still, shouldn't Lynn be kept sorta strong in case Van Dam signs with TNA?

Still, shouldn't Lynn be kept sorta strong in case Van Dam signs with TNA?

The betting line is that Van Dam will probably stay with WWE for the obvious reasons. More money, more stability, etc.

The booking of Lynn is strange, given that the veteran making a comeback should at least look strong for a while before putting people over.

What do you expect they screwed up Senshi and have no idea what to do with The Austin Starr. Speaking of Senshi why doesn't he do the Dragonsleeper or Double Stomp variations anymore?

Was that a serious review? It read like something a TNA employee would submit.

Actually, it was. I do music and movie reviews and decided to do a review for this PPV. As I stated in the review, I hated the gimmic of the electrified steelcage, but the match itself was really good. I enjoyed the wrestling on the show. That's what I enjoy the most, I don't care about gimmics or anything like that. As stated Lynn vs Daniels was what a wrestling match should be. Every match kept me interested in the show except the Blindfold match. I would review WWE like that but I haven't watched RAW in 8 months, SmackDown in almost a year and ECW I catch once a month if that, and I haven't watch a PPV from them in about 4-5 months, with the exception of Wrestlemaina which was very subpar with the exception of like 3 matches.

Was that a serious review? It read like something a TNA employee would submit.

Actually, it was. I do music and movie reviews and decided to do a review for this PPV. As I stated in the review, I hated the gimmic of the electrified steelcage, but the match itself was really good. I enjoyed the wrestling on the show. That's what I enjoy the most, I don't care about gimmics or anything like that. As stated Lynn vs Daniels was what a wrestling match should be. Every match kept me interested in the show except the Blindfold match. I would review WWE like that but I haven't watched RAW in 8 months, SmackDown in almost a year and ECW I catch once a month if that, and I haven't watch a PPV from them in about 4-5 months, with the exception of Wrestlemaina which was very subpar with the exception of like 3 matches.

*Takes cover under desk* This isn't going to end well.