TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cherry Blossom Viscount

So, um yeah....

I'm not going to put him up there with the greats just because of a couple of great matches with Benoit, but really, the guy has been capable during his entire WWE run. This is amazing to me because when they signed the guy, I heard nothing but bad things about him on here saying he could not work nor could he talk very well. What happened? When did MVP become good?

He spent a year wrestling some good talent and actually learned. This is a fairly typical process for young workers. He wasn't horrible but he wasn't exactly polished either. Wouldn't call him a high quality worker because he did well with Benoit but he's improving tremendously.

I have to wonder how much MVP's gimmick was involved here. When he debuted the whole gimmick was that he was an overhyped scrub with an overinflated contract. I don't know what MVP was like in Deep South since I don't get that TV show, but he didn't sound especially good on there.

Elijah Burke is in a similar boat. He was terrible in OVW, mainly because he is naturally kind of annoying and was trying to play face (and did entirely too many X-Pac spots). Put him in ECW and let him play heel and he's been much better.

I had always thought he was a pretty good talker and played the gimmick well. But he's definitely my Most Improved Wrestler of the Year thus far. He's getting better in the ring all the time.

The WWE is alot better at working people than they are given credit for.........tons of people including smarks thought MVP sucked because the WWE told them he sucked and that was his gimmick.........

Think of all the poeple that got upset that Brent Albright got released because "how can the WWE release such a great worker" the WWE basically wanted everyone to think he was a great worker........his gimmick was a Benoit clone.

The WWE gimmicks and pushes do affect what people think of new guys even smarky fans.

The WWE is alot better at working people than they are given credit for.........tons of people including smarks thought MVP sucked because the WWE told them he sucked and that was his gimmick.........

Exactly. It was funny, having seen him wrestle pre-WWE, seeing them actually bring someone in on their debut with the previso that they weren't good enough. It's a credit to the guy that he's still on the roster, let alone got over at all, with that gimmick.

Think of all the poeple that got upset that Brent Albright got released because "how can the WWE release such a great worker" the WWE basically wanted everyone to think he was a great worker........his gimmick was a Benoit clone.

No, that was because he was a great worker. The Benoit clone gimmick sucked and nobody bought it, that's why he didn't get over with anyone. The only people who knew he was a great worker were those familiar with his OVW work, those who could see past the gimmick or now those familiar with his ROH work.

Bullshit, have you seen Albright work in ROH? He IS a great worker, not some WWE creation of a "great worker." And "smarks" thought MVP sucked because, upon his debut, he wasn't very good in the ring. He's busted his ass and become one, and for that he deserves credit. Once again, it's not some super-genuis WWE creation. I give them credit for the gimmick, because it's a fun one and a big reason I watch SD when I don't watch Raw or ECW. But the credit for his ring work goes to him, he didn't come in very good at all.

This guy says, "Have another drink."

koolaid5b.jpg

I didn't see anything wrong with Albright's gimmick as Benoit's protege. At least it was something different.

While I wasn't necessarily a fan of the gimmick, I see your point. What I don't get is Mecca's claim that the WWE duped everyone into thinking Albright could work simply through the gimmick. There's no basis in reality for that if you've actually seen Albright go.

Really, I don't think he was on TV long enough to make an impression either way.

Oh no, I totally agree. I never knew much nor cared about Albright during his WWE run, as I don't have access to OVW. When I saw him in ROH I was really impressed, and for that reason I think he's a great worker, not because WWE booked him as a Benoit student.

This is a fairly typical process for young workers.

I thought MVP was 30+?

Well, unless you mean wrestling career wise. I forgot he only started in 2003.

He spent a year wrestling some good talent and actually learned. This is a fairly typical process for young workers. He wasn't horrible but he wasn't exactly polished either. Wouldn't call him a high quality worker because he did well with Benoit but he's improving tremendously.

I agree and I think that he will remain in the mid-card position for quite some time

I didn't see anything wrong with Albright's gimmick as Benoit's protege. At least it was something different.

While I wasn't necessarily a fan of the gimmick, I see your point. What I don't get is Mecca's claim that the WWE duped everyone into thinking Albright could work simply through the gimmick. There's no basis in reality for that if you've actually seen Albright go.

You took that wrong..........there were people getting pissy he got fired that hadn't seen him work in OVW. They thought he was good just because.........

I wasn't trying to say Albright sucks I was trying to say the WWE did make people that had never really seen him work think he was good pretty quickly.

He was generally regarded as an average worker in Deep South.

This is a fairly typical process for young workers.

I thought MVP was 30+?

Well, unless you mean wrestling career wise. I forgot he only started in 2003.

wikipedia says he's 33, got into wrestling after serving 9½ years of an 18 year sentence in prison for robbery.

now thats funny.

http://en..org/wiki/Antonio_Banks

I don't think MVP is all that great, but I did notice he started to improve following his feud with Kane.

Guest trueattitude

MVP could be a star, the only problem I see right now is his fighting costume. WWE need to give him more of a natural look if he's going to be taken really seriously.

Apart from that, this guy has big potential, good on the mic and in the ring. Just give him a better look/outfit and there is one of your best superstars on SmackDown.