TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

TNA Impact Spoilers (First Hour Spoilers now up)

To be fair, Jarrett was getting massively cheered in that segment, and not just anyone would have gotten the segment over as much as that did (wow, I am actually give Jarrett credit here?), and speaking of it, chalk up yet another angle that really clicked IMO, much like last week's Abyss beatdown. Enjoyed the show again last night, much like last week's show. I wont get into detail now but to say I am shocked both of these shows ended up as fun to watch as they were really caught me off guard since the spoilers were pretty undesirable sounding on paper.

From 1988-93 I was a pretty big fan of Jeff Jarrett in the USWA. It's a sad irony that Jarrett was either forced to work heel most of his career or enjoyed doing it, because he's never been good at it. I've said it on other threads, but JJ is too much of a yokel good ole boy to play some mastermind heel in the Flair vein.

I think Jarrett's heydey would have been if he was about 5-10 years older and he could have been a face draw in the NWA or UWF back in the day. Or of course Memphis. I think Jarrett's Memphis face act would have translated better outside of Memphis than Lawler's did. But yeah, if Jarrett is ever going to be a solid face he has to ditch the guitar nonsense, since that's such a lame HTM schtick.

It's curious to me that Jarrett has had any staying power in the business when he's been totally miscast as a goofy heel for about 3/4 of his career.

Let me put it this way the Eric Young "mystery friend" part of this storyline is just like the Robert Roode "Free Agent" deal where the expectations are high the fans want a huge surprise someone from outside the company to make a big time debut. By having Roode interview several legends then pick Ms. Brooks as his manager was a total letdown and is the case with Jeff Jarrett. I was kind of expecting somebody from Canada who used to work for ECW or WWF or was huge in Japan or something not good ol Jeff Jarrett....well it could of been worse it could of been Scott D'Amore.

As a viewer, of that segment with Jeff/Rude/Young...I have to say I enjoyed it to an extent.

But Tenay and West just SUCKED what emotion it had away. When Young hit Rude, it was a good moment, and the fans reacted...Good, feel good payoff, but as a viewer, Tenay and West just completely overwhelmed it with their shrill screaming of happiness. Tenay and West cancel each other out because they act EXACTLY THE SAME. It only got worse when they cheerleaded Jeff Jarrett, who they SHOULD still be selling as a questionable person since THAT IS THE STORYLINE, to beat up Traci. People rag on JR and Cole, but jesus fuck, they atleast GET when to let the storyline tell itself and to *SHUT UP*, and they have a partner who somewhat weighs them down in JBL and King, who react differently to things.

Tenay and West are easily one of the worst broadcast teams in modern wrestling history. At one time, they were I think alright to an extent, but they've become such jokes and over-reactors to anything a face does that it kills what momentium TNA can build to a viewer. I honest to god think I'd take Mark Madden over either of them right now.

/...Okay, maybe not, but I know I'd take Lord Alfred Hayes.

The problem with Tenay and and West is you have two color guys trying to be play-by-play announcers. Tenay, and West for that matter, can be great if they're in the role that suits them best, which is to give color commentary and chime in with the facts and figures and to put spots over. TNA need a good play-by-play announcer who Tenay can play off of, while West can shill the PPV's.

Impact needs a 3rd announcer who can give the wrestlers perspective who can heel it up when needed there are several guys who can do it from Konan, Shane Douglas, Raven, Nash any one of them would greatly improve the matches hell make Bob Backland work the Jerry Lawler gimmick. If Backland is going to stay employed with TNA at least give the man a respective character the living dictionary/thesaurus politician worked in the past hell if he is going to be a joke then give the man a Doink costume.

Douglas would be an awesome third man - where is he anyway? Rehab again?

And I not at all surprised on the number not just for Angle/Sting itself, but the overall Impact rating. They can't expect thousands of viewers to suddenly want to check out the show when they probably dont even know Sting/Angle was on the show in the first place.

If I hadn't have read spoilers I wouldn't have known or cared about Sting vs. Angle. Besides that match was 5 mins. at the beginning. It's almost like Bischoff expecting a 7.0 for the relaunched Nitro in April 1999, when he never bothered to TELL ANYONE that WCW was changing the set or doing anything different.

Keep Backlund away from the booth long term. He'd annoy the shit out of people after 2 weeks with his constant crazy old man ranting. Nash would be hilarious but self serving. I'd let Konnan do it since he's been out there the past couple of weeks.

As far as Young's mystery friend, it was never such a hyped angle that we were led to expect some shock debut. I just assumed it was someone in the company.

Backland isn't exactly setting the X division on fire with his crazy old man routine might as well do the SNL grumpy old man Dana Carvey gimmick as the 3rd announcer. I don't see the point in hiring the man if all they were going to do was shit on him every week.

Some more specific numbers for Impact, via Alvarez. The actual rating for Impact was 1.02, with quarters of .97 (Sting vs. Angle), .95, 1.04 and .95.

So, not only did TNA give away the first Sting vs. Angle for free, it wasn't even the highest rated quarter of the show.

Dude, if you hate TNA so much than why do you even watch the fucking show? It seems like you take great pleasure in every fuck-up they do. Every post of you in this forum is about bashing TNA. Is there anything about TNA you enjoy? I am asking this because I have never seen a post of you where you are saying that so-and-so was awesome or that last night shows was great.

I have done blocks of text of positive posts before as in the case of loving the Raven, Bloody Brawls a.k.a Abyss rules, Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Division X, dvds that I bought from the local Wal*Mart. I did praise the Abyss beatdown from last week just disappointed that it had no follow up the week after. The Roode/Young angle was starting to get good then JJ became the mystery guy which is as big of a letdown as Ric Flair being the Black Scorpion. The "THIS IS AWESOME!" is only for the X Division which is getting better but the Bob Backland deal is well not so awesome but Sharkboy, Senshi, Jerry Lynn will forever be awesome. Still waiting for Kaz, Havoc, and the 3rd guys whose name I am blanking on to get more over than the Naturals.

I just want to see the alternative to the WWE and not a clone of the same old same old crap from Monday/Tuesday night.

Dude, if you hate TNA so much than why do you even watch the fucking show? It seems like you take great pleasure in every fuck-up they do. Every post of you in this forum is about bashing TNA. Is there anything about TNA you enjoy? I am asking this because I have never seen a post of you where you are saying that so-and-so was awesome or that last night shows was great.

I asked this once, he did give a good reason. But his hate for TNA does get annoying.

I just want to see the alternative to the WWE and not a clone of the same old same old crap from Monday/Tuesday night.

I think were all after that, but were not getting that alternative like we once did.

That right there is the main reason people are so heavy into bashing TNA. While some people might be doing it because they really do hate TNA, the majority of people, including myself, do it because TNA have been so incredibly frustrating for so long. They have the in-ring talent, and have had for most of their existence but now especially, to provide a real alternative to the Sports Entertainment of WWE. TNA could be the alternative to WWE that they've always claimed to want to be, but instead they're hell bent on being WWE-lite. TNA can't get anywhere being a poor man's WWE, but that doesn't seem to have got through to them. Instead of being a refreshing alternative to the generally lame skits, piss poor comedy and mostly average wrestling you get in WWE, TNA have completely undercut the credibility of their talent and managed to piss off their most loyal fans in a futile attempt to beat WWE at their own game. Remember when TNA were regularly putting on PPV's that blew away anything WWE were doing at the time? That hasn't been the case for well over a year. TNA have the in-ring talent to be putting on some great PPV's that would be filled with the kind of action their own fans are telling them they want to see and that would establish TNA has an alternative to what WWE provide. But as long as TNA are determined to stick their head in the sand and refuse to accept that their current path isn't going to get them anywhere, then you're damned right people are going to be ripping into them for pissing away their potential to give fans a viable and entertaining alternative to WWE.

That right there is the main reason people are so heavy into bashing TNA. While some people might be doing it because they really do hate TNA, the majority of people, including myself, do it because TNA have been so incredibly frustrating for so long. They have the in-ring talent, and have had for most of their existence but now especially, to provide a real alternative to the Sports Entertainment of WWE. TNA could be the alternative to WWE that they've always claimed to want to be, but instead they're hell bent on being WWE-lite. TNA can't get anywhere being a poor man's WWE, but that doesn't seem to have got through to them. Instead of being a refreshing alternative to the generally lame skits, piss poor comedy and mostly average wrestling you get in WWE, TNA have completely undercut the credibility of their talent and managed to piss off their most loyal fans in a futile attempt to beat WWE at their own game. Remember when TNA were regularly putting on PPV's that blew away anything WWE were doing at the time? That hasn't been the case for well over a year. TNA have the in-ring talent to be putting on some great PPV's that would be filled with the kind of action their own fans are telling them they want to see and that would establish TNA has an alternative to what WWE provide. But as long as TNA are determined to stick their head in the sand and refuse to accept that their current path isn't going to get them anywhere, then you're damned right people are going to be ripping into them for pissing away their potential to give fans a viable and entertaining alternative to WWE.

So if it was upto you, what would your main-event line-up be like?

The NWA legacy (the very early NWA/WCW at the Omni days mid to late 80's) is in my opinion based on an older audience coming to think of it I don't think comedy was much of a factor back in the good ol days of the Muthaship on TBS. I just wish Thursday Night Action Impact could go back and have characters that the average person can relate to as in the case in the 80's where the Horsemen were like yuppie elite wallstreet types or Dusty Rhodes as the average looking good ol boy out to do the right thing or the evil commie russian turning face living the american dream! I remember when tag team wrestling was at its strongest peak in the NWA 80's it can thrive again in TNA with LAX, Team 3D, various x division guys crossing over like Daniels/AJ. I remember clean finishes, no ref bumps, and it there was interference the crowd would go ballistic at the manager and the ref would be like "did he cheat?".

Yeah, I want TNA to live up to the standards that Flair, Ole, Dusty left in the 1980's that was the NWA that I cherish as a wrestling fan......ITS STILL REAL TO ME!!!!!

So if it was upto you, what would your main-event line-up be like?

For one thing Sting wouldn't be working 2 matches on the same show and if it were ever to happen it would be on some sort of supercard special like Clash of Champions in a tournament format with matches that went at least 15 minutes so the impact of the matchup could sink in. Actually the line up does not matter cause the current crew in charge tend to rush things and have bad timing on formating the tv product.

For one thing Sting wouldn't be working 2 matches on the same show and if it were ever to happen it would be on some sort of supercard special like Clash of Champions in a tournament format with matches that went at least 15 minutes so the impact of the matchup could sink in. Actually the line up does not matter cause the current crew in charge tend to rush things and have bad timing on formating the tv product.

They really are dropping the ball on Sting. He should be something special...billed as a legend going on his last hurrah...kind of like Ric Flair and HBK are in WWE right now.

I dont agree with HTQ often, but hes hit the nail on the head there.

The Eric Young deal went way better then I imagined it would. The whole angle was pulled of nicely. Young is insanly over with the crowd, as was JJ. I was fully expecting a fuck up at every turn, but I was pleasantly surprised by how well everybody played thier parts.

Still not sure how I feel about Christian Cage as champion, he's hugely entertaining, don't get me wrong, but he just seems... fake. He's too funny to be a heel, which doesn't really make me care what happens to him. I was half interested in what was going to happen since he promised everyone a title shot, but TNA seem to have got out of that one in the most interesting way possible.