Phoenix 119, LA Lakers 110, Phoenix wins 4-1

Thu, May 3

Utah 94, Houston 82, series tied 3-3

Golden State 111, Dallas 86, Golden State wins 4-2

Fri, May 4

New Jersey 98, Toronto 97, New Jersey wins 4-2

Sat, May 5

Utah 103, Houston 99, Utah wins 4-3

I'll just predict the upsets, rather than picking them all.

Houston over Utah (seeding wise, it's an upset)

Chicago over Miami (same)

Denver over San Antonio

Western Conference Finals: Phoenix over Dallas

Eastern Conference Finals: Chicago over Toronto

Phoenix over Chicago.

Denver's on fire. They haven't played San Antonio once with their full lineup in good health, so it's a pick into the unknown. With San Antonio's age, the altitude is going to play a part in 3 games if the series goes the full 7. If San Antonio drops one at home, they're in trouble.

Even if San Antonio does get out of the first, I don't see them getting out of the 2nd even if the Lakers pulled off some insane miracle against the Suns. To note, I think there's absolutely no chance of the Lakers winning more than 2 games against the Suns. It's not even an anti-San Antonio thing with my Spurs pick, I really think that Denver could take any of these playoff teams to 7 games and probably win the series. I wouldn't want to play a team that's lost once this month.

My predictions that will probably look moronic in a couple weeks:

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Detroit d. Orlando (4-1): Pretty lopsided series here. Talent, experience, chemistry, just about everything favors the Pistons. I think Grant Hill gets a feel-good game here, but the outcome of the series is never in doubt.

Miami d. Chicago (4-3): Tough series to call here. The Bulls played Miami really well in the regular season, but I forsee some problems with their style. That rough defense isn't gonna be too beneficial for Chi-town in close games. Even though D-Wade lost a huge teammate in Joey Crawford for the postseason, I think Bavetta and Javie can pick up the slack... In all seriousness, though, The Bulls can hang with the Heat, but in crunch time, I don't see how they will stop Shaq or Wade. Heat win by hook or by crook.

New Jersey d. Toronto (4-2): It's too bad things had to shift the way they did at the end of the season for the Raptors. Washington was a lame duck, and even though they'll have the chance to show up Vinsanity, I think they'd prefer the Wiz. The combo of Kidd, Carter, and Jefferson seems like enough experience and scoring power to stop the Raptors miracle run. The Nets playing good defense will also be critical to their success.

Cleveland d. Washington (4-0): In the words of Tom Tolbert, this season for the Wizards "just makes you want to throw up on yourself." What a terrible way to end the season with all those injuries. The Cavs are weak-ass 2-seed, but there's no way they don't curb-stomp the Wiz in this one.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Dallas d. Golden State (4-2): The Mavs may not have wanted the Clippers, but I hope they're not shrugging off their ex-coach. Nellie-ball is in full force in Oakland, and Dallas better bring their running shoes to this series. Statistically, there's very little chance of GS getting swept with the way the shoot. They'd have to really choke to not catch fire once or twice and run through the Mavs' D. Study those Phoenix tapes, Warriors. Of course, Dallas is still a much better all around team and should win, but they'll have to work for it.

Houston d. Utah (4-2): You didn't think I'd pick against the Rockets, did you? But really, they should win this series. Utah's a tougher match because they can play some mean D, but I don't think they have an answer inside for Yao. Nor do they have an all-around killer like T-Mac to go to in the clutch. Utah's too young, and even though the Rockets don't have much recent playoff experience, they do have more NBA experience.

San Antonio d. Denver (4-2): Denver would've been better off facing Phoenix, but I think they can still put up a fight here. With Melo and AI, you have to do something. SA should close out in 5, but they never make anything easy for themselves in the playoffs. In the end, I'm not sure they can stop Duncan, but even if they can, Parker and Ginobili are still unaccounted for. Maybe they can have one of their scrubs go tell jokes or make funny faces at Duncan while he's on the bench and hope to get him ejected. That would be their best hope to actually win the series.

Phoenix d. LA Lakers (4-1): With Amare back in the middle, it won't take 7 games this year. Kobe probably pulls a miracle out of his ass in one game, but there's no question who the better team is here.

Guest Richard McBeef

Detroit in 5, Miami in 6, Swamp in 7, Cleveland in 4

Dallas in 4, Utah in 7, San Antonio in 6, Phoenix in 4

For us Raptors fans this is the best/worst scenario possible. What's better: the chance to defeat Public Enemy #1 and basically define the franchise or a free ticket to round 2? I'd probably have preferred the free ticket (Washington). Ah well, still should be fun since apparently every Toronto playoff game is already sold out with even upper level tickets going for 4 times their face value on EBay (ALREADY). Anyways,

East:

Pistons in 4 - No doubt here. I'll be shocked if the Magic win one.

Cavs in 4 - Any playoff team in the East sweeps Washington (eventhough Lebron and co. are really good at finding ways to lose).

Raptors in 7 - Should be a tough series since the Raps are the superior in basically every aspect but Vince and Kidd have enough experience to offset that.

Heat in 6 - Wallace won't slow down Shaq like he did a few years ago and the Bulls STILL don't have a crunch time game-changer.

West:

Mavericks in 6 - Golden State will put up a good fight and tire the Mavs out in preparation for the Spurs.

Suns in 6 - I say Kobe's good for 2 games all on his own but other than that, Suns shouldn't have much trouble.

Spurs in 7 - Iverson will win a game or two by sheer will-power and, as someone said, nothing's ever easy with the Spurs.

Houston in 7 - Ummm TMac has to win atleast one playoff series in his career, doesn't he?

EAST

Detroit d. Orlando: Detroit shouldn't have any problem with Orlando. Orlando could squeak out a win by accident but I'm not going to count on it.

Chicago d. Miami: Chicago is actually flying under the radar. Wade isn't anywhere at the level of play that he was last year. Chicago is a much-improved team this year and was constructed in the off-season to deal with teams like the Heat. Chicago has had the majority of its problems this year with teams like New Jersey that are quick and play a style of offense similar to the Bulls. The series is at home for Chicago and they are a much improved road team this year. I see no reason why they should bounce Miami from the playoffs.

Toronto d. New Jersey: Toronto is a solid team. The only flaw right now is lack of experience. I think Bosh should be able to neutralize the play of the New Jersey big men. If Toronto can keep Mikki Moore at bay I don't the scoring from Carter can carry the Nets alone. Richard Jefferson still isn't at 100%.

Cleveland d. Washington: Cleveland shouldn't have a problem with Washington because of the injuries on the Wizards. If any other team were playing the Wizards this would be a sweep but Cleveland seems to lack a certain focus this year. I think they very well could lose in the 2nd round against an experienced team like New Jersey.

WEST

Dallas d. Golden State: Golden State always seems to play well against Dallas. Dallas has a lot of trouble matching up with the slashing style of the Golden State guards. Dallas is a superior team and should win the series but it should be a fun series to watch.

Utah d. Houston: Houston is the hot dark horse pick with T-Mac and Yao but Utah is a good basketball team. Carlos Boozer is a monster. This will be one of the more interesting West series to watch. T-Mac and Yao will need a lot of help from the supporting cast to defeat Utah.

Denver d. San Antonio: I like Nene and Camby vs. Duncan. I think Nene and Camby will have a better series and make Duncan a non-factor most of the time. Denver seems to have finally meshed at the right time. The Spurs have a ton of experience but if Denver can play their style of game I don't think the Spurs can keep up.

Phoenix d. LA Lakers: The Lakers will get run out of the gym. They don't have enough weapons on their team to score 115 points each game. The Suns shouldn't have any problem with the Lakers. I see no reason to watch any games in this series unless its the only thing on TV.

alf's ban totally didn't work. rox.

I never realized how much Don Nelson fucking owns his old squad. Dalls could either the biggest team, or the biggest bust. I don't see a middle line for them.

Guest Vitamin X

Having the Warriors beat Dallas would be a hell of an upset, but one I don't think I see happening. It could be interesting though, if the Mavs' next opponent takes care of business quickly, thus leaving Dallas tired for the next round.

First round predictions

Western Conference:

(1) Dallas def. (8) Golden State 4-1: Don Nelson really does have the Mavericks' number as he basically layed out the entire offense for Avery and knows how to stop it. I think that will be enough to get the Warriors a game or maybe even two, but when Dirk really turns it on, there won't be much they can do.

(4) Houston def. (5) Utah 4-2: After stumbling down the stretch and losing home advantage, I can't see the Jazz turning it on for the playoffs. An ever-improving Yao Ming and a greatly improved T-Mac should be enough to take the Rockets to the next round.

(2) Phoenix def. (7) LA Lakers 4-2: Kobe should carry the Lakers to a couple wins, but the Lakers don't have the big advantage inside that they did last year now that Amare's in the lineup for the Suns and with LA being such a mess lately, they're not really a credible threat.

(3) San Antonio def. (6) Denver 4-3: This should be a hell of a series as Denver's really been coming together lately with Iverson and Melo working together and they should be able to outscore the Spurs when they're shooting hot. They don't really have the size inside to stop Duncan though. Camby's a decent defender, but he's older than Duncan, and if he couldn't handle him in '99 (when he got rocked in the Finals), I doubt he'll do any better now.

Eastern Conference:

(1) Detroit def. (8) Orlando 4-0: It would be nice to see the Magic get a game, but I can't see a team that starts Jameer Nelson, Hedo Turkoglu, and Tony Battie competing with a playoff-tested Pistons squad.

(4) Miami def. (5) Chicago 4-3: The Bulls match up great with Miami and certainly have the capability of winning the series, but with D-Wade and Shaq in the lineup, I just can't see the champs going down in Round 1. When they play at peak capacity, the Heat just might be the best team in the league.

(2) Cleveland def. (7) Washington 4-0: A Cavaliers squad just waking up after spending most of the season on cruise control and no Agent Zero for the Wizards should combine for a really non-competitive series.

(6) New Jersey def. (3) Toronto 4-3: As much as I hate the Nets, this is the one upset that I see happening. As a young team that the regular season's still fresh to, the Raptors overachieved somewhat this year whereas the Nets likely underachieved somewhat. I say Vince Carter cements his position as the most hated man in Toronto by hitting a 3-pointer at the buzzer in Game 7 to knock the Raptors out of the playoffs.

Quick predictions for the remainder of the playoffs

(1) Dallas def. (4) Houston 4-0: The Mavs really are that good. They didn't win 67 games on a fluke.

(2) Phoenix def. (3) San Antonio 4-3: The Spurs aren't that young any more and I think that playing back-to-back lengthy series, esp. against a team as fast as Phoenix will wear them down.

(4) Miami def. (1) Detroit 4-3: Miami didn't just look a little better than Detroit last year. They looked a lot better. C-Webb will help the Pistons somewhat, but it still won't be enough to overcome a healthy Miami squad.

(2) Cleveland def. (6) New Jersey 4-1: Pretty sure one series victory is all the Nets have in them at this point. They seem to deteriorate a little more every year.

(1) Dallas def. (2) Phoenix 4-2: The Mavericks are one of the few times in the league not bothered by playing Phoenix's tempo. Playing better defense and having a truly elite scorer than can step his game up when necessary should be the difference.

(4) Miami def. (2) Cleveland 4-2: D-Wade's got a significantly better supporting cast than LeBron as the Cavs are still about a point guard away from having a championship caliber team.

(1) Dallas def. (4) Miami 4-2 Miami having to go through a tough road and play almost the maximum number of playoff games with a banged-up roster and Joey Crawford's suspension from the league should be enough to keep Miami from repeating as world champions. Also, while Dirk's done a great job of getting his teammates involved this year, if it comes down to one clutch shot with the game on the line, I think he'll know better than to defer to Jason Terry this year.

Dallas vs. Golden State - Dallas in 5

Houston vs. Utah - Houston in 6

Phoenix vs. LA Lakers - Phoenix in 6

San Antonio vs. Denver - San Antonio in 6

Detroit vs. Orlando - Detroit in 5

Miami vs. Chicago - Chicago in 6

Cleveland vs. Washington - Cleveland in 4

New Jersey vs. Toronto - Toronto in 6. The only way Toronto loses this is nerves + inexperience. They're clearly the better team, but they're young and this is their first kick at the can, so you never know how they'll react.

Detroit over Orlando in 5. Darko won't get his revenge.

Miami over Chicago in 6. Don't be surprised to see the refs get involved in this one!!

Cleveland over Washington in 5. Cleveland's bad shooting will lose them one game.

Toronto over New Jersey in 6. TJ Ford should dominate.

Dallas over Golden State in 6. Really rooting for Golden State. Love their crazy starting lineup. They can get hot.

Houston over Utah in 7. Should be the best series in the first round.

Phoenix over LA in 4. Last time Amare played in the playoffs, he destroyed Duncan.

San Antonio over Denver in 5. Iverson and 'Melo are no match for the trio of Duncan, Ginobili and Parker.

1) Detroit vs 8) Orlando

-Pistons in 5. They don't play the right sort of game to steamroll through in a sweep. I expect this to be similar to the past 3 years' first round matchups. More or less Pistons dominance, but losing either Game 2 or Game 3 in a lazy performance. At the very least, there's a decent storyline here with Darko and Grant Hill in Orlando, and possibly getting to see the 'new darko', amir johnson.

4) Miami vs 5) Chicago

-Miami in 6. This is gonna be a good series. Not much else to say except with Wade recovering from a shoulder injury, and with Chicago being a more physical team, expect lots of ref protection. ANd god forbid if Hinrich gives Wade a semi-hard hit, one-game suspension here we go.

2) Cleveland vs 7) Washington

-Cleveland in 4. Washington is a mess with injuries. Damn Cavs have the easy road

3) Toronto vs 6) Nets

-Toronto in 7. Gut check time young guns. Normally I'd say not enough exprience, but I never have any confidence in the Nets to do anything.

1) Dallas vs 8) Golden State

-Dallas in 5. I don't that GS went 2-0 in *meaningful* games against the Mavs. You need to be consistently good to win a 7 game series, and Dallas is a playoff veteren team.

4) Houston vs 5) Utah

-This should be a great series. I am going with Houston in 7.

2) Phoenix vs 7) LA Lakers

-Aaah the rematch. Phoenix in 6. Simply put, they have what they didn't have last year - strong inside presences. Amare and Kurt Thomas. The Lakers are not significantly better than last year at this point. It'll be interesting to see what Phil Jackson comes up with though.

3) San Antonio vs 6) Denver

-San Antonio in 5. AI or Melo go lights out to steal one, but their defense isn't good enough to stop SA.

(1) Dallas Vs (8) Golden State : Dallas wins 4 games to 2.

(4) Houston Vs (5) Utah Houston in 6

(2) Phoenix Vs (7) L.A. : Suns in 5

(3) San Antonio Vs (6) Denver: San Antonio in 7

(1) Detroit Vs (8) Orlando: Detroit wins 4 games to 1

(4) Miami Vs (5) Chicago : Heat in 7

(2) Cleveland Vs (7) Washington : Cavs win in a sweep.

(3) Toronto Vs (6) New Jersey: Raptors in 7

Denver's on fire. They haven't played San Antonio once with their full lineup in good health, so it's a pick into the unknown. With San Antonio's age, the altitude is going to play a part in 3 games if the series goes the full 7. If San Antonio drops one at home, they're in trouble.

Even if San Antonio does get out of the first, I don't see them getting out of the 2nd even if the Lakers pulled off some insane miracle against the Suns. To note, I think there's absolutely no chance of the Lakers winning more than 2 games against the Suns. It's not even an anti-San Antonio thing with my Spurs pick, I really think that Denver could take any of these playoff teams to 7 games and probably win the series. I wouldn't want to play a team that's lost once this month.

San Antonio was the best team in basketball during the second half of the year. I don't know how you can discount their chances this year. I wouldn't go so far as to say their the favorites, but they are a deep, well-coached, experienced team and can play a variety of styles.

Speaking of the Spurs, I was thinking last night that if you take away Fisher's 0.4 shot and the stupid Dirk foul last year, they might have won four consecutive titles. Two freak plays that will probably change their place in history as one of the all-time great teams to one that was good, but not dominating.

Guest Queen Leelee

I'll take the Warriors in 6, just so I can gloat that I was right because I remembered someone said they won their last 4 matchups, or something.

Then, ignore this thread when I'm wrong.

I'll take the Warriors in 6, just so I can gloat that I was right because I remembered someone said they won their last 4 matchups, or something.

Then, ignore this thread when I'm wrong.

Warriors-Mavs is going to be the series that everyone jumps on by the weekend as the upset special. They'll see that the Warriors have won 5 of 6 against the Mavs and that there potent offense has been averagin 118 points a game down the stretch. They'll convince themselves that Don Nelson has an advantage over his old team. Then the first game will happen and everyone will remember that the Mavs are about a million times better than the Warriors.

I simply cannot see the Mavs losing to the Warriors. The Warriors have fought so hard just to make it, and now people are thinking that they are going to upset the Mavs?

Maybe two years ago I might have agreed, but not this year. Mavs in 6 at the most.

And though I wished that my teams A and B didn't meet up in the first round, and as much as I like the Magic and think they are one or two players away from seriously contending, Jameer Nelson is on crack if he thinks the Magic are going to beat the Pistons anymore then ONE game. Pistons in 5.

I'm rather content to see Miami and Chicago beat on each other in the first round. I dislike both teams equally, and mainly for their head coaches. Pat Riley's overblown ego and Scott Skiles inflexibility and dickishness are the reasons why. I pray it goes seven games and triple overtime in the seventh game and in the end, I don;t care who wins too much.

If Arenas was healthy, I would have said this series was going to go six games easy, but the Cavs are going to get a walk. Cavs in 4. But that's about as far as they will go until Lebron can *consistently* close out games. And yes, I know he needs help.

Toronto and Jersey are going to go at least six games, and I don;t care who wins too much either. My only interest would be watching Chris Bosh get better and better.

I agree with Kamala in that the Warriors will win two games, but then at some point they are going to run out of gas. Remember folks, the Warriors are what the Mavs used to be: 85% offense, 15% defense. You are not going to win if you can't stop anyone, and the Warriors are not very tough defensively. The Mavs are. You have to throw out the regular season to a certain extent, and while the Warriors are decent, the Mavs will take them out.

There is not going to be any major drama this year with Phoenix and LA. Suns in 5, maybe 6 if Kobe goes off for 50 or more.

The Nuggets need one more player to make serious noise in the playoffs. Spurs in 6.

Houston and Utah is going to go how T-Mac goes. If that trick back gives out on him forget it, even with Yao Ming. That being said, Utah doesn;t really grab me that much. It seemed to me that Kirilenko has regressed, and I think that Jerry Sloan's inability to change his coaching style even slightly might hurt the Jazz. I honestly can;t come up with a clear-cut winner. I just hope that its as good as most 4-5 matchups are.

I am taking the Warriors over the Mavs although I hate doing so because everyone is calling them the upset pick and I dont' like being with the crowd.

But people don't understand, Baron Davis is a god amoungst men at the point guard position. His only problem is that he can't stay healthy. He has already missed his required 20+ games this year, and is playing like you know he can. There isn't a matchup that Dallas can throw at him defensively that will stop him from doing whatever he wants to when ever he wants too.

Al Harrington plays Dirk better than any player in the league, hands down. If you look at the games in Atlanta the last few years, you will see Dirk always sruggles, because Al is a perfect combination of height and quickness and phsycality that can bother Dirk.

Jason Richardson is also a big mismatch for the Mavs, as Stackhouse is too slow to defend him and Harris is too small. Josh Howard will have to be used on either Richardson or Jackson....one of the two is going to have a monster series.

I am taking Warriors in 7. I wouldnt be suprised if the Mavs win it, but I would be shocked if this series didn't go at least 6.

Pistons in 5

Cavs in 5

Bulls in 6

Raptors in 6

Mavs in 6

Suns in 5

Spurs in 6

Rockets in 7

every year there's one or two lower seeds that everyone overrates because of the regular season. Also on that note, people don't mention that the 3rd golden state win was essentially an end of season "rest" game for the Mavs.

Wow, they went 2-0 in meaningful games in a regular season, big deal. that means nothing in the playoffs. Consistently good teams win, period. It's why you rarely if ever get any real upsets in the playoffs. "Upsets" are mostly 5 seeds beating 4, and a 2 or 3 seed beating a 1 seed, etc.

There's a better chance of the Mavs sweeping than there is of the series going 7 games.

Despite the Warriors having a deeper team, bigger mismatches at the point, two guard, and Center Positions, and the matchup at SF is pretty much even, the mavs not playing a meaningful game in a while, Al harringtons history of playing Dirk better than basically anyone in the league, and Baron Fucking Davis?

I personally could see Warriors taking game one, Dallas getting shit together and taking game 2, Warriors taking game 3 and maybe 4, Mavs taking the next 2, and game 7 going to....somebody.

Yeah, Dallas is a better team against most of the league, but some teams just matchup perfectly against some other teams. And this is one of those cases.

When Seattle played Denver that year, that was probably the only team in the West that could beat them. ONLY because they were perfectly matched up with Pack/Payton, Ellis/Kemp, Mutumbo...um....Cage? Who the fuck was their center, anyway, matchups are what make series. The Mavs were also a better team than the Heat, but matchups took them out the series.

Bottoline, the best team doesn't always win a series. The team that gets the best matchups get the win.

Guest Richard McBeef

This is tough for me, because on one hand, I want Cuban to do well this year and sell high so he can get the Cubs. On the other hand, I've beaten my friends at NBA Jam with Hardaway and Mullin for many years, so I have a goofy sentimental attachment to the Warriors, even if the whole "Golden State" thing is really lame and they should just say they're from San Francisco anyway. Besides, we haven't had an 8 beat a 1 in the NBA in forfuckingever.